Author Topic: AcidFire's modular keyboard system - Axios [In Development]  (Read 657545 times)

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
Re: AcidFire's custom split keyboard - ErgoGP
« Reply #450 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 07:31:29 »
I like the sound of

5) added a 3.5mm connection point to thumb pads for external use.

Does this mean I can add a standard switch and map it to a key?  If so, I'll be tempted to get my smiley face button out again.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Batmann

« Reply #451 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 08:06:02 »
That project is amazing  :eek:
I don't know how I missed it,
I can't wait to see the final version

Offline AcidFire

• Axios - The Open Source Modular Ergonomic Keyboard
« Reply #452 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 10:25:27 »
I saw one arduino mega in one of your pictures and I think I saw it in the video too - are you planning to use it into the final version? I don't know any avr usb capable IC with this number of available ports ...
The mega was used for the simplicity of testing. The final control has a ATMEGA32u4 (used in the Teensy & Leonardo) as the main controller & interface to the PC side. Each keypad sub board has an ATTINY828 controlling the switches & LEDs (they have 28 usable I/O ports.) They're all connected over the i2c bus.

I may have missed something, but will this be open source like ergodox?

Once everything is finalised, yes, OP has mentioned he is a supporter of open source and open hardware and would like the same for the ErgoGP.
I'll clarify this too since I've been give some advice since I first started this project. At the end of everything, when the first production batch is ready, everything will be released, hardware and software. Up until that point, things like the case, PCBs, BOM, and anything else will production related will be held back. There would be nothing more frustrating than to go through all this work designing & testing and to have someone take advantage of that work while I'm raising funds.

What I will release before them will be the schematics, firmware, and source for the desktop software, once it's ready to be shared.

I like the sound of

Does this mean I can add a standard switch and map it to a key?  If so, I'll be tempted to get my smiley face button out again.
Unfortunately no, what it means is that you can use the thumb pad boards as extra keypads. I will be adding the ability to use custom buttons however, since it ties in with the ability to add a foot pedal.

That project is amazing  :eek:
I don't know how I missed it,
I can't wait to see the final version
Me too!

Offline anotherjunkie

« Reply #453 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 11:05:47 »
Just thought I'd share a quick update. I've been making some minor tweaks to the PCBs and sorted out a couple of issues and made some improvements:
1) beefed up the power traces. All the traces on the board the first time round were 10mil, I've sinced uped the 5v & gnd rails to 15mil, including bulking up the vias.
2) added a crystal to both sides of the main & thumb boards. I still have a ways to go w/ pwm control, and the crystals give me the option to bump up to 16mhz if I need to.
3) caught a routing problem on the main board, right side. Missed some I/O >_<
4) added an additional pair of address jumpers. You can now add up to 16 (8 per side) thumb pads.
6) sorted out connectors between main & thumb boards. There are options for permanent & modular connections.
7) shifted over & optimized main boards ISP header. This allows for a pass through connector to be used on the RGB add on, simplifying the connection without using something difficult like ZIF cables.
8) added inline spi header to CPU module for future bluetooth addon.
9) added indicator LEDs to CPU board for power & USB tx/rx (mostly troubleshooting). Can be disabled via a jumper.
10) designed external number pad.
11) designed external 4x5 button array.
12) updated case designs to accommodate pcb changes. Also moved and added case screws for better stability. I have button head & counter sunk screws on order for testing.
13) outlined the addressing table for all boards.
13) outlined the i2c commands for switch polling & LEDs on the sub boards.

That's an amazing amount of work, and there are some real gems in there! The option for external arrays/10keys, foot pedal as mentioned... Can't wait.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #454 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 11:09:38 »
Can we pay by mailing you a Cashier's Check? :thumb:
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #455 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 17:13:40 »
Can we pay by mailing you a Cashier's Check? :thumb:

Though I've already answered this via PM, I'll reply here as well for anyone else wondering the same thing. Because of the fraud that gets pulled w/ Cashiers checks in Canada, the bank will only release the funds after 30 days. Unfortunately, I can't afford to float the funds for that long. So for now, PayPal will be the only way I can accept payment.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #456 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 18:30:43 »
Hey! I just noticed the OP!

Good to know that you're updating it now.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #457 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 23:07:51 »
Show Image

Cannot possibly explain the level of want

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #458 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 00:40:43 »
I hope you make video typing with this keyboard ;)
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #459 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 08:06:30 »

I don't know if AcidFire will, but when I get a beta unit I sure will!
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #460 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 13:04:30 »
Show Image

Me too, I can't wait to get my next round of boards ordered :D

Of course! That's pretty much a requirement for a kickstarter campaign. On that front, I got an email and it officially opens to Canada on the 9th of september.

On the development side, I've designed the LED array test board, and I've also designed a set of Cherry MX break out boards for testing for the foot switch. Why a Cherry MX switch you ask? Because I came across this on kickstarter: STINKY the Gaming Footboard. I found it particularly interesting that they went w/ the Cherry MX switches instead of why you might expect, like an Omron leaf switch, so I'd like to explore the idea. I think what they've done is fantastic, but the price ($119) for a foot switch is just a bit much for me. Also, this would be running a separate piece of software, and I'd much prefer to keep it all integrated.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #461 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 13:14:05 »
Show Image

Me too, I can't wait to get my next round of boards ordered :D

Of course! That's pretty much a requirement for a kickstarter campaign. On that front, I got an email and it officially opens to Canada on the 9th of september.

On the development side, I've designed the LED array test board, and I've also designed a set of Cherry MX break out boards for testing for the foot switch. Why a Cherry MX switch you ask? Because I came across this on kickstarter: STINKY the Gaming Footboard. I found it particularly interesting that they went w/ the Cherry MX switches instead of why you might expect, like an Omron leaf switch, so I'd like to explore the idea. I think what they've done is fantastic, but the price ($119) for a foot switch is just a bit much for me. Also, this would be running a separate piece of software, and I'd much prefer to keep it all integrated.

You would probably need a very stiff switch for the pedal.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #462 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 13:23:34 »
You would think, but the interesting thing about the Stinky is the the top half is supported over the bottom via 4 springs, so instead of the switch carrying your weight, the springs do. This lets you float your feet over them and then activate with very little movement, while most traditional footswitches require you to rest your foot to the side when not in use.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #463 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 15:49:17 »
You would think, but the interesting thing about the Stinky is the the top half is supported over the bottom via 4 springs, so instead of the switch carrying your weight, the springs do. This lets you float your feet over them and then activate with very little movement, while most traditional footswitches require you to rest your foot to the side when not in use.

Ah... ok!
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #464 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 21:11:57 »
Show Image

+1 -- this thread continues to deliver.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #465 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 21:36:19 »
I want that symmetric numpad. I would give sexual favors for that thing and the acrylic risers

Offline wesleyh

« Reply #466 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 01:55:02 »
would love to see a video along with mouse interaction, the setup looks pretty big so it seems the arm might be skewed a bit too much to properly work with a mouse. A trackball in the middle would solve that though ;-)

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #467 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 02:18:55 »
would love to see a video along with mouse interaction, the setup looks pretty big so it seems the arm might be skewed a bit too much to properly work with a mouse. A trackball in the middle would solve that though ;-)

With the right setup your mouse usage (when not gaming) can approach zero.

Center trackball is pretty nice though from my experience.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #468 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 04:06:47 »
This is cool. Seems like an improvement from the ErgoDox. I thought the Dox thumb keys are kinda far away. Does your version put them any closer?
SmallFry! <3

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #469 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 04:17:38 »
 ErgoDox put them any closer like Kinesis Adv. not fun
acid seemed to put some distance like maltron it's fun :thumb:
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #470 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 04:20:37 »
I can't stand how much more sexy this looks compared to my ErgoDox. Can't stop looking at it either. I'm killing myself!!!
SmallFry! <3

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #471 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 04:26:52 »
This is cool. Seems like an improvement from the ErgoDox. I thought the Dox thumb keys are kinda far away. Does your version put them any closer?

The current case design (from what Acidfire has shared) puts it at the same distance as ErgoDox but with a lower depth/step than the main hand pcb because the ErgoGP has the thumb cluster on a separate board, it can by-design be moved around with an adjustment of the case design or something in the case design that allows it to be movable/adjustable

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #472 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 13:04:41 »
Show Image
+1 -- this thread continues to deliver.
Glad you guys are as excited as I am :D

I want that symmetric numpad. I would give sexual favors for that thing and the acrylic risers
I uh.. prefer cash lol. Also, like the thumb pads, the numeric add-ons now allow for up to 8 of them to be added to the system.

With the right setup your mouse usage (when not gaming) can approach zero.
Center trackball is pretty nice though from my experience.
The current base for the full set up is 514mm. This is a bit wider than a full board, and almost on par with the Logitech G series boards with the extra macro keys. That being said, after the initial launch I'll be looking into trackball/trackpad/trackpoint options for both center mount & the thumbs.

I can't stand how much more sexy this looks compared to my ErgoDox. Can't stop looking at it either. I'm killing myself!!!
When I have some time, I'm looking at making the same colors available for the ErgoDox. the biggest issue right now is fitment, as the thicknesses of acrylic I have on hand are different from what the stock case uses.

The current case design (from what Acidfire has shared) puts it at the same distance as ErgoDox but with a lower depth/step than the main hand pcb because the ErgoGP has the thumb cluster on a separate board, it can by-design be moved around with an adjustment of the case design or something in the case design that allows it to be movable/adjustable

I checked, and it's actually slightly further away than the ErgoDox are. However, because of the drop to the thumb pads, it puts your thumb in a more natural resting point, and the only thing that I have to lift my fingers to hit is the top two keys on the thumbs. I am however tweaking this option. My biggest headache is the hesitation to switch to something like a ZIF connector + ribbon instead of the 0.1" headers I'm using now, as it removes some of the flexibility/hackability. Conversely, if I switch from a double sided PCB design, I gain a fair bit more space to do things, but this also reduces the cost benefit a double sided board offers. However, moving to a single sided board (not mirrored to the back) frees up a fair bit of space and reduces design headaches to a degree, not to mention reducing the complexity of the firmware since two different sets of pin mappings wouldn't need to be managed. A simple toggle would tell the firmware which address to answer to, and what offset to send the keypresses with. There's also the fact that if there is an error on one side, I'm not forced to replace essentially both boards to fix it. It also simplifies panelizing for PnP manufacturing.

I'm sure you guys can see which way I'm leaning with this, however I would be interested to hear if you have any reasons I should stay with the double sided designs?

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #473 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 13:07:45 »
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #474 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 15:17:49 »
i like where this is going, i just dislike clear acrylic.... flat color or even better matte-texture acrylic i hope would be possible, however talking about the materials this early probably isn't a good idea--probably getting ahead of things.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #475 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 15:23:19 »
i like where this is going, i just dislike clear acrylic.... flat color or even better matte-texture acrylic i hope would be possible, however talking about the materials this early probably isn't a good idea--probably getting ahead of things.

Yeah lol

I do love the black of the OG design though.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #476 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 18:42:17 »
- Progress today (so far) -
Started a new version of the main keypad, the left side. This version is not double sided, but features a number of improvements:
1) Relocated USB jack to left side of the board
2) Relocated bridge cable jack to left side of the board
3) Unified header to CPU board, making for a simplier interface
4) Moved row & column breakout headers to bottom of board
5) The LED & switch matrixes now share a common ground. I'll be testing this concept with current boards to ensure it will work consistently.
6) Added pull up resistors to input lines to simply coding & reduce chance of errors when switching from input to output on the ground lines.
7) Added 3 RGB LEDs w/ 12-bit PWM to the top right corner of the board.

Currently considering moving from the ATTINY828 to something a bit more standard, which should reduce the development time substantially as it would no longer require a firmware for the keypads. This would allow for a total of 8 boards, whether they are main, thumb, number or other (like foot switches). This would also allow for 12-bit PWM control of the back lighting as well.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 August 2013, 18:58:23 by AcidFire »

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #477 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 19:36:49 »
Is there any option to make this design plate mounted?
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #478 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 19:37:18 »

I think it already is.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline JPG

« Reply #479 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 19:40:35 »

I think it already is.

Nice if it is, but the ergodox is not and I did't see any metal piece in the pictures.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #480 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 19:56:18 »

I think it already is.

Nice if it is, but the ergodox is not and I did't see any metal piece in the pictures.

ErgoDox is.

Plate doesn't need to be metal.

ErgoDox plate is acrylic, and ErgoGP is too I think.

AcidFire?
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #481 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 19:57:36 »

I think it already is.

The ErgoDox is plate mount and so is this. It's just an acrylic plate instead of metal.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #482 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 20:00:46 »

I think it already is.

The ErgoDox is plate mount and so is this. It's just an acrylic plate instead of metal.

I thought so.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #483 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 20:04:25 »
Yup both ErgoGP and ErgoDox are plate mounted, where the plate is acrylic and is thus thicker than the metal plates used for mounting switches in keyboards.

Offline JPG

« Reply #484 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 20:04:33 »

I think it already is.

I thought so.

Yea, but I am petty sure that I read somewhere that since it's acrylic, it does not offer much support and needs pcb mount switches. But I may bee totally wrong here! But since it's acrylic plate mounted, I suppose it would be possible to replace this acrylic sheet and replace it with a metal plate with the same shape and thickness (and this option to open the switches without desoldering for sure)!

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #485 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 20:12:12 »

I think it already is.

I thought so.

Yea, but I am petty sure that I read somewhere that since it's acrylic, it does not offer much support and needs pcb mount switches. But I may bee totally wrong here! But since it's acrylic plate mounted, I suppose it would be possible to replace this acrylic sheet and replace it with a metal plate with the same shape and thickness (and this option to open the switches without desoldering for sure)!

A well designed acrylic plate is very sturdy.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #486 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 20:21:13 »

I think it already is.

I thought so.

The plate is to align the switches properly and prevent flex. Acrylic thinner than 3/32 will flex, above that acrylic is as good as metal. Since the design of the ErgoDox is available at ergodox.org, you can get a metal plate cut and it allows you to remove switch top without desoldering the switches. At the completion of the ErgoGP, files for the plate will be made available and again can be got cut.

Offline JPG

« Reply #487 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 20:23:21 »

I think it already is.

I thought so.

The plate is to align the switches properly and prevent flex. Acrylic thinner than 3/32 will flex, above that acrylic is as good as metal. Since the design of the ErgoDox is available at ergodox.org, you can get a metal plate cut and it allows you to remove switch top without desoldering the switches. At the completion of the ErgoGP, files for the plate will be made available and again can be got cut.

Well, if the acrylic plate is strong enough, I think it would be even nicer to add the feature to be able to open the switches to it, if this kind of precision if possible with acrylic! Anyone know if it would be possible?

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #488 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 20:27:50 »

I think it already is.

I thought so.

Well, if the acrylic plate is strong enough, I think it would be even nicer to add the feature to be able to open the switches to it, if this kind of precision if possible with acrylic! Anyone know if it would be possible?

AcidFire has said that you can.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #489 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 20:33:13 »

I think it already is.

I know there has been answers to this but i wanted to say the ErgoDox PCB design allows plate and PCB mounted switches. Case designs can offer the plate or go without it.

The ErgoDox is plate mounted on the Litster case provided by MassDrop and I want to reiterate what everyone else is saying, It does not flex at all. The down side of the acrylic plate is that the acrylic has to be THICK, in fact it's so thick on the litster case you can't use through-hole diodes.

The Litster case for ErgoDox does have this feature so it is very possible

Started a new version of the main keypad, the left side. This version is not double sided, but features a number of improvements:
5) The LED & switch matrixes now share a common ground. I'll be testing this concept with current boards to ensure it will work consistently.
6) Added pull up resistors to input lines to simply coding & reduce chance of errors when switching from input to output on the ground lines.

Currently considering moving from the ATTINY828 to something a bit more standard, which should reduce the development time substantially as it would no longer require a firmware for the keypads. This would allow for a total of 8 boards, whether they are main, thumb, number or other (like foot switches). This would also allow for 12-bit PWM control of the back lighting as well.

:thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 August 2013, 20:35:49 by Glod »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #490 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 21:42:36 »
My vote is for a Teensy 3.0. Micro USB FTW

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #491 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 22:02:58 »
Smooth clear acrylic is hard to conceal scratches.
SmallFry! <3

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #492 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 22:33:16 »
My vote is for a Teensy 3.0. Micro USB FTW
Ew. Why use a broke out controller board when you can have the main controller chip itself smd soldered directly to the pcb? So much nicer.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #493 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 23:01:05 »
pretty sure teensy is not used with the ergogp

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #494 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 00:07:04 »
Ew. Why use a broke out controller board when you can have the main controller chip itself smd soldered directly to the pcb? So much nicer.

Because I dun wanna SM solder the controller to the board. The diodes are enought thank you very much :)

I suggested the teensy because it's a popular board that a many people are familiar and comfortable with already. and the 3.0 because it's much more powerful with lots of space and a micro usb connector, which is much more durable than the mini usb.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #495 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 00:07:43 »

That's why I suggested it :)

Offline FiskFisk33

« Reply #496 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 00:20:06 »

I think it already is.

I know there has been answers to this but i wanted to say the ErgoDox PCB design allows plate and PCB mounted switches. Case designs can offer the plate or go without it.

The ErgoDox is plate mounted on the Litster case provided by MassDrop and I want to reiterate what everyone else is saying, It does not flex at all. The down side of the acrylic plate is that the acrylic has to be THICK, in fact it's so thick on the litster case you can't use through-hole diodes.

The Litster case for ErgoDox does have this feature so it is very possible

:thumb:

Guys, pages 6-7 ;)

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #497 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 00:33:04 »

Because I dun wanna SM solder the controller to the board. The diodes are enought thank you very much :)

I suggested the teensy because it's a popular board that a many people are familiar and comfortable with already. and the 3.0 because it's much more powerful with lots of space and a micro usb connector, which is much more durable than the mini usb.

Dude, the smd stuff is presoldered. You only have to solder the switches if you get the kit version. Perhaps using the chip the teensy 3 uses, but the whole teensy would be silly.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #498 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 00:49:00 »

That's why I suggested it :)

oh, i didn't interpret that as teensy, but i guess yeah it could mean that.

---
i really hope the ErgoGP will still have the option for just the keyboard and base, not interested in all the stuff in the center (numpad...)...at least i dont think i want it....

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #499 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 01:54:50 »
So while I haven't completely finished the first board yet, I'm very happy with the results so far, and unless there's a compelling reason to go back to the ATTINY828 or something similar, I'll be sticking to devices that will sit on the i2c bus.

As for the plate, I've used both 3mm & 1.5mm acrylic to test. The 3mm is nice & rigid, but obviously the switches won't snap into that. 1.5mm is fantastic because the switches snap in easily, however it can be fragile. I have a couple ideas for the case I'm going to try tomorrow that I'll post up.

For the kit, everything SMD will be presoldered for you, the only thing you'll need to solder is switches + LEDs.

On the USB port, I'm sorry, but you'll most likely never see a USB micro on one of my projects. I've had way too many issues with them pulling off, and space isn't at a premium to really require a smaller port.

And regarding the controller, I'd much prefer to design something that's meant to fit what I'm doing, then working around someone else's design. This also has the advantage on the business side for me and on the consumer side for you guys, as a custom controller is cheaper in the mark up then adding something like the Teensy.
What I have in mind at this point is an option for users.
1) Arduino compatible - This version would use a bootloader similar to the Leonardo and behave like an arduino based controller. Obviously there are some set backs and caveats, but this is basically the entry level controller for someone who wants to learn to hack their keyboard.
2) HID device (not Arduino compatible) - This bootloader would allow for the keyboard to work at start up, support nkro (hopefully), and would be for users who either have no interest in hacking their firmware, or are advanced enough to go with the straight C.
These would be the same CPU board based on the ATMEGA32u4, just like the Teensy 2.0. Because of the modular nature of the controller, I have it on my list to look at something ARM based down the road, as the processing speed & ram would make implementing the macro recording and whatnot a fair bit easier. Again, due to the nature of the design this would be an easy upgrade for just about anyone. If the kickstarter goes really well, it just end up as a stretch goal.

Regarding the keystation, I consider that to be the deluxe version, and would definitely be an addition to the base kit. The whole idea was, and will always be, modularity to allow you to customize it to your needs.