Author Topic: Why are all wood palm rests "slanted"?  (Read 10902 times)

Offline typo

Why are all wood palm rests "slanted"?
« on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 19:24:17 »
I hate this. which is what prompted me to make my own idea of what I think is best. You can see my thread regarding it, with pictures.
No fabric covered rest is slanted, nor leather, nor acrylic. So why every single wood one? I also think the rest should be at the height of the keys not the case. my design unbeknownst to me turns out to be a 2,000 year old Chinese type of Palm rest they used for reading and Prayer. These currently auction for as much as 20 Grand!
I do not know why they are all slanted but if anyone else does please do tell!

Offline typo

Re: Why are all wood palm rests "slanted"?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 00:16:20 »
Huh. I thought this would be an interesting topic. I guess I will never know :) I know what my idea of a great rest was and I built it. I have never seen anything like it. So I guess that is that. No one has to reply since it does not really matter. Since they do not appeal to me anyways. I find it interesting that it is the norm and as usual I go somewhere else. I never fit in a box.

Offline pluplog

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 03:44:12 »
On that note I type on my Kinesis while resting on the given foam pads... that would somehow fit your idea of the rest being on the height of the keys (maybe a bit more given the home row is sunk into the bowl). It's super comfortable, so maybe you're on to something!
Kinesis Advantage | Kinesis Advantage Pro | Maltron L89 | Filco Minila

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 05:08:40 »
Maybe they are made slanted so that they would look less than just a plank ... and therefore makers would be able to charge more for it?

Offline Phenix

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 06:50:50 »
On that note I type on my Kinesis while resting on the given foam pads... that would somehow fit your idea of the rest being on the height of the keys (maybe a bit more given the home row is sunk into the bowl). It's super comfortable, so maybe you're on to something!

Any idea how I can make my Kinesis advantage1 connect to windows?
You are right with the palm rests on it btw
Winter is coming.

Offline pluplog

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 08:55:57 »
Any idea how I can make my Kinesis advantage1 connect to windows?
You are right with the palm rests on it btw

Nope. If its the USB issue you can either check with Kinesis or reach out to the experienced modding folks here like sordna or Input Nirvana. (check the big Kinesis thread)

Offline typo

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 10:03:34 »
Glad for some answers. Makes sense. I feel my design is vastly better. Anyone can feel free to copy it or even sell them. I have no interest in making them. It took a lot more time than running a board through the planar would have. Exactly what I envisioned in every respect. I wish there was a solution for mice. A hard surface is no good there. the store stuff is much too soft. Actually puts pressure on the Carpal. I did like this bean bag one but it was so big I had no mouse pad real estate left. I have used a mouse without a rest for decades so I figure I will continue to. I always had a hard keyboard rest. It is really a barrier not to rest your wrists. You all know you are not supposed to. I do not use a track ball because it is just not fast enough for the amount of screen I have. I will not enable acceleration or put the windows slider past 5. I do not game but I need precision for other tasks.

Phenix, try to install legacy hardware from device manager and install the Generic HID keyboard driver.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 10:25:52 »
Find me a single rigid right angle on the Human Body..

Oh that's right.. You can't..    That's why standard flat keyboards are so bad for people's wrists in general..

Tent-able keyboards are the only true CORRECT keyboards.

Offline pluplog

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 10:49:55 »

Oh that's right.. You can't..    That's why standard flat keyboards are so bad for people's wrists in general..

I'm inclined to agree - but everytime I peek over at the GBs and what not, it amazes me that people continue to buy standard flat keyboards and pay for a variety of parameters like case material, custom spring/lube/creamed switches etc instead of thinking about how it feels when they type on it.  :-\

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 11:45:45 »

I'm inclined to agree - but everytime I peek over at the GBs and what not, it amazes me that people continue to buy standard flat keyboards and pay for a variety of parameters like case material, custom spring/lube/creamed switches etc instead of thinking about how it feels when they type on it.  :-\

There's a HUGE gap  between people who ACTUALLY type ,  and people who decorate their apartments..

I mean, look at a real race car,  everything on there has a purpose..

Then look at a tuner car.. it's just JUNK piled ontop of eachother with no consistent functional methodology.

Then they apply their unique, I'm a snowflake look at me decorative stroke.. and voila.. Kmac, lubed, vintage black, dolch.

It's just 4 separate pieces of garbage, combined to form Voltron Garbage.

Offline typo

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 12:20:30 »
We all know your favorite keyboard. I have made pretty clear my favorite as well. Guess what? It has a flat profile! Egad.....

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 12:56:28 »
We all know your favorite keyboard. I have made pretty clear my favorite as well. Guess what? It has a flat profile! Egad.....

/seek and destroy..

hahahah nawh,  i think for light use, like for example on laptops,  etc,   flat is unavoidable..     and since MOST people don't actually type that much..   flat is probably suitable,

Offline Phenix

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 18:36:17 »

/seek and destroy..

hahahah nawh,  i think for light use, like for example on laptops,  etc,   flat is unavoidable..     and since MOST people don't actually type that much..   flat is probably suitable,

I get pain after 5-10 minutes of writing on a laptop keyboard..
is this considered heavy use already?

Im still thankful you committed me buy my dox.. and mx kinesis..

RE KINESIS USB:
my plan is to PS2 mod it. now im just gonna find out how.
(strange, PS2 works flawless for others)

There's a HUGE gap  between people who ACTUALLY type ,  and people who decorate their apartments..

I mean, look at a real race car,  everything on there has a purpose..

Then look at a tuner car.. it's just JUNK piled ontop of eachother with no consistent functional methodology.

Then they apply their unique, I'm a snowflake look at me decorative stroke.. and voila.. Kmac, lubed, vintage black, dolch.

It's just 4 separate pieces of garbage, combined to form Voltron Garbage.
Winter is coming.

Offline typo

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 02:25:33 »
I take from this thread that there was but one answer to my actual question. Albeit,whimsical. Apparently this was an incredibly stupid question. Feel free to derail this thread as much as you possibly can. I am out of here until someone comments on the actual topic! However if it gets way out of hand the Mods will probably lock it before I get a chance. I actually Have coding to do. I do not sit on forums all day. Look how many posts I have in nmber of years. I have other priorities and my board is fine for typing 14 hours 5 days a week for over 20 years. Flat as in DCS profile. 120g keys. Everyone has their thing. I absolutely hate Ergodox and Kinesis. I think that, and the Embody chair(which I own) are some of the worst inventions. Some things are over complicated, Rube Goldberg. I mean no bad relations here, just yearned for an answer to my question. I am not interested in the route this thread has taken. Okay? Thank you

Offline Vladimir

• Professional Dream Crusher
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 23:44:29 »
There are two reasons excuses:

1. It looks good. It follows the shape of the case, which makes it pretty.
2. It's a misconception. People don't understand that the reason for the keys to be curved it's related only to fingers and that the wrist rest has a different purpose and should have a different shape.

But why this happens specifically to wooden rests is another question. My guess is that since there are not so much rests of that kind, (in other words, since this is a niche product) there's not much variation of any kind. It just happens to be slanted by coincidence, because it's the immediate thinking and the following ones just copy.

EDIT:
Almost forget a third reason.
If it's plane, it will look like just a random piece of wood. Like any simple object would do the trick.
They made this to justify and convince the customers, not because it's optimal for its purpose.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 August 2017, 23:50:51 by Vladimir »

Matias Mini Quiet Pro              Noppoo Nano 75-S Brown

Offline typo

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 02:10:13 »
Thank you, Vladimir. I appreciate having the question actually being answered. That sounds completely reasonable as to why they are slanted. If you look at what I made I think it is far superior for actual function. I hate the slanted ones and I hate soft ones. So had to build one myself. I am also using a flat keyboard. IE, all the rows are exactly the same height. I vastly prefer it. Granted one may benefit from Ergodox, Kinesis Etc but personally I simply do not prefer them.

Offline yellowfour

• Balanced Effortless Advanced Keyboard Layouts
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 21:58:34 »
Because the palm slants upward, so the palm rest should slant the same way. That way the meat of the palm and the palm rest have the most contact area. (Tangent-normal planes or something.)

Flat rest would mean resting at or near the wrist; seems bad idea. Cutting off blood flow and putting pressure on weak bones and tendons at the vulnerable wrist region.

Offline Hazzula

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 01:35:40 »
Because the palm slants upward, so the palm rest should slant the same way. That way the meat of the palm and the palm rest have the most contact area. (Tangent-normal planes or something.)

Flat rest would mean resting at or near the wrist; seems bad idea. Cutting off blood flow and putting pressure on weak bones and tendons at the vulnerable wrist region.

So the actual part of the body that should be resting on a wrist rest is the palm and not the wrist?

I don't have a wrist rest and am planning on making one so im actually asking and not trying to be mean or anything :D

Offline vvp

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 04:06:35 »
So the actual part of the body that should be resting on a wrist rest is the palm and not the wrist?
Of course, palm is better adapted than wrist to cope with prolonged pressure.
What about the veins just under the skin of your wrist?
It does not look like a good idea to expose them to external pressure.
If you need a rest at all then prefer palm rest to a wrist rest.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 05:38:18 »
Palm rests are just another added feature that for the most part is not actually required, typing with your palms floating over the keyboard is all what you need to type comfortable and provides a more natural angle for your wrists.

Offline typo

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 23:15:17 »
I use it as a barrier to actually keep my hand's off of it. I use the strength of my arms and do not use an arm rest either. I hardly ever rest. Unless I am stumped on decompiling or something and catch myself resting.

You might want to build what I did. I find it far superior. Those 5"+ slanted rests you will be resting your palms or wrists. mine will cause you to hardly use it and you will hardly notice that you are not. It is the proper way to type and I think that is universally accepted. The ones I speak of are a true rest as you will be resting on it and that is bad. I like one simply because the case is higher than the table but rarely rest on it. I think wood rests are for show but will cause bad posture along the way.

Once again I have found that a Mouse wrist rest is nothing but pain. Since you will be resting on that no matter what. I try it every now and then for a good punishment.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 23:06:26 »
I used to never really think about it until I got into mech boards... Now i prefer to have a thick wrist rest in front of all my boards. The only thing that is really annoying is wearing a watch and it catching on the corner every time you "line up".

I would imagine people might have tried a squared off wood rest and realized with it being rigid that it was applying pressure along the edge?
-Dana

Offline typo

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 23:52:19 »
The wrist rest I have actually works as a "barrier" causing me to very rarely rest my wrists. This to me is ideal as you really should not rest your wrists or lay on chair arms. People pay these things no mind until they have an injury. A Mech board is taller so there should be something to "guide" you. Just do not go resting your wrists all the time

I wear a serious watch so it is honestly in my pocket more than on my wrist.. Regardless just take it off when typing. It just gets in the way.