Author Topic: Super n00b here looking for some basic help  (Read 5447 times)

Offline megaKeys

Super n00b here looking for some basic help
« on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 15:43:31 »
A very generous friend of mine gifted me this set up, however i am looking for my own keycaps.  I do have a Mac and am looking for a set that has Mac keys.  I have no idea what layout or type this board is, if anyone here could help me identify the layout so i can buy the right keycaps.

Thank you in advance anyone.  Looking forward to get this beast up and running

Offline HungerMechanic

Re: Super n00b here looking for some basic help
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 15:59:15 »
I'm no expert, but that looks like a standard ANSI TKL (ten-key-less). It should be compatible with almost any set you can buy.

Looks like it may be using Cherry MX Clears, a fairly tactile switch by Cherry standards.

Now you just need to find some keycaps that have Mac labels, and remap them in the OS if necessary.

Offline megaKeys

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 16:37:25 »
So I bought this https://www.amazon.com/YMDK-Profile-Standard-Switches-Keyboard/dp/B07JR94835

But it seems the space bar is too small.  I like these keys though, do you know what size space bar I may need?  I think it would be cool to have an accent space bar.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 20:41:49 »
Interesting. Maybe someone with a more practiced eye can help you out. Many keyboards in that size have four keys to the right of the spacebar, not three, so perhaps it is a non-standard bottom-row.

Once you find the size, you will be able to get a replacement key. There are various accent spacebars available in many sizes now.

Offline bliss

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 10:03:49 »
Also mind the the off-centered Caps Lock

Offline ilikerustoo

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 10:07:24 »
The bottom row looks like Tsangan,and the off centered caps lock may be for a stepped caps lock

Offline bigapplepietart

• Topre Convert
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 22:57:04 »
Another Mac user chiming in, the keys can be remapped to your liking, and you'd have to search for a keycap set with the appropriate legends, which isn't always the easiest. Depending on what you're looking for, it can be achievable. Very nice board to begin with by the way!
Current:
Palmetto (Ultraglides) | Heavy Grail (Purple DES V1) | hiney tkl one PC (Orange SKCM Alps) | Lunar II (Green SKCL Alps) | Sho S60 V2 (45g stock domes) | HHKB Hybrid Type-S

Past:
Razer Blackwidow (MX Blues) | FC660M (MX Blues) | GH60 (Ergo Clears) | 8x mkI (Vintage Blacks) | Klippe (Sakurios) | Equinox (Sakurios) | MGA (Silent Alpacas) | Kei (Creamsicles) | KFE CE (Alpacas) | Rukia R1 (Durock L7) | H60 (Silent Blacks) | E80-1800 (MX Blacks) | Ottantaquattro (Vintage Blacks) | hbcp (Vintage Blacks) | HHKB Pro 2 Stock (45g Topre) | ADK64 (Blue SKCM Alps)

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 02:17:51 »
Hi, some basics:
  * The most common keys (A-Z, 0-9, F keys, etc.) are 0.75 x 0.75 inches. These are called "1U" keys. One standard key unit wide.
  * The modifier keys vary. Most to left and right of the space bar are 1.25U, or 1.5U, although 1U can sometime be found.
        1.25U = 1U width x 1.25. So 0.75" * 1.25, whatever that comes out to be.
  * If you look at top top row you'll count 13 1U keys, and an odd key at the far side. That's a 2U key for backspace
  * That means the main block of keys is 15U wide.
  * When I measure the distance between the middle of the "+" on top of the bottom-left keys I get about 1.25 times the distance from the center of the Z to X
  * So, those 3 keys are likely 1.25U, that's common.
  *About the same on the right.
  * So, that's about 6 x 1.25U = 7.5U
  * The space bar takes the rest, so 15U (from the 2nd step) less the 7.5U of modifiers should be around 7.5U of space bar.

7.5U does not seem common to me. Someone should check my work.

Here's a page all about spacebars. Maybe that will help.
  https://deskthority.net/wiki/Space_bar_dimensions
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline siijunn

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 17:56:29 »
Hi, some basics:
  * The most common keys (A-Z, 0-9, F keys, etc.) are 0.75 x 0.75 inches. These are called "1U" keys. One standard key unit wide.
  * The modifier keys vary. Most to left and right of the space bar are 1.25U, or 1.5U, although 1U can sometime be found.
        1.25U = 1U width x 1.25. So 0.75" * 1.25, whatever that comes out to be.
  * If you look at top top row you'll count 13 1U keys, and an odd key at the far side. That's a 2U key for backspace
  * That means the main block of keys is 15U wide.
  * When I measure the distance between the middle of the "+" on top of the bottom-left keys I get about 1.25 times the distance from the center of the Z to X
  * So, those 3 keys are likely 1.25U, that's common.
  *About the same on the right.
  * So, that's about 6 x 1.25U = 7.5U
  * The space bar takes the rest, so 15U (from the 2nd step) less the 7.5U of modifiers should be around 7.5U of space bar.

7.5U does not seem common to me. Someone should check my work.

Here's a page all about spacebars. Maybe that will help.
  https://deskthority.net/wiki/Space_bar_dimensions

Is there a chance of figuring out the PCB? Maybe  that would shed some light on it. That frame/plate doesn't look like a manufactured board. I'd say it is possible it's one of those cheap wannabe Apple keyboards you'd find at Walmart or Target, but this looks far too nice to be one of those.

Offline heavyheaded

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 12:47:20 »
You're looking for a 7U spacebar. Your bottom row is likely 1.5-1-1.5-7-1.5-1-1.5. The outside 1.5s are control, inside 1.5s are alt, 1u probably would be command/super/win. This layout is sized like "winkeyless" with the 1.5u mods, but with the 1u "win keys." Standard "104" or "108" kits will have 1.25U mods and a 6.25 spacebar, which is no good.

Offline subluxe

• サブラックス
    • https://subluxe.ca/
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 03:38:57 »
Just from looking at it, it looks like you might need to find a keyset with compatibility, might be able to find some on KBDFans for cheap :).

But yeah the bottom row is what's called "tsangan" and has 1.5/1/1.5/7/1.5/1/1.5 bottom row and it also has a stepped caps lock. This means you're gonna have to check when you buy keycaps, to make sure that the key caps have these extras for your board :)