70 (34.3%)
Both
20 (9.8%)
Either
22 (10.8%)
Neither
10 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Author Topic: Bars or Scoops?  (Read 49655 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: Bars or Scoops?
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 15:09:36 »
I like scoops, but my son can only use nubs, so I vote for both on GMK sets

I think Gateron keycaps comes in Cherry profile (reasonable similar to actual Cherry/GMK although not 100% the same) and their homing keys are both scooped and barred, it's kinda strange, but might work for you.

If he ever absorbs his son, and become one mega entity, Gateron scoop-bumps would work for him, I'm guessing

Do you have a picture of those scoops with bumps?

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 15:21:38 »
Same answer every time this comes up:

HHKB has barz. Barz win.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 15:45:40 »

I think Gateron keycaps comes in Cherry profile (reasonable similar to actual Cherry/GMK although not 100% the same) and their homing keys are both scooped and barred, it's kinda strange, but might work for you.

If he ever absorbs his son, and become one mega entity, Gateron scoop-bumps would work for him, I'm guessing

Here you go, sorry for the poor quality.

https://imgur.com/a/449OD

My biggest pet peeve for these Gateron PBT caps is that they're not actually dimensionally very close to OG Cherry/GMK, the height is about right, but the keycap is ever so slightly smaller than Cherry caps in each direction, especially noticable on the keytop. They're not bad once you get used to it, but it can be very jarring switching between the two.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 15:50:44 »

My biggest pet peeve for these Gateron PBT caps is that they're not actually dimensionally very close to OG Cherry/GMK, the height is about right, but the keycap is ever so slightly smaller than Cherry caps in each direction, especially noticable on the keytop. They're not bad once you get used to it, but it can be very jarring switching between the two.

That is very interesting to know, thank you very much for the feedback.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 15:51:53 »

Creep question: Is that a spin-top base in the background?
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 16:58:02 »

Creep question: Is that a spin-top base in the background?

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 17:46:01 »
Nice!

149604-0

:)
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 17:56:34 »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 18:28:05 »
Yes, the base is a foreverspin but pretty unusable, I really like the base you have, where is it from?

The lambda is both impressive, boring and scary, you spin, forget about it, and get startled when you hear a stumbling sound minutes later, so I end up just spinning the titanium foreverspin on wood

Bars vs Scoops is a rotten topic anyway, the war is already won for both sides, so I personally don't mind veering off topic :D

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 18:54:35 »
Yes, the base is a foreverspin but pretty unusable, I really like the base you have, where is it from?

The lambda is both impressive, boring and scary, you spin, forget about it, and get startled when you hear a stumbling sound minutes later, so I end up just spinning the titanium foreverspin on wood

Bars vs Scoops is a rotten topic anyway, the war is already won for both sides, so I personally don't mind veering off topic :D

Mine is also from foreverspin, from way before they added the tempered glass inlay. It's actually pretty terrible, it's relatively soft steel, I don't know what alloy they used, but it's only really suitable for foreverspin's own line of tops. The top I am currently using has a silicon nitride bearing on the tip, and it makes a tiny dent on the surface everytime I spin.

I've had best experience with just the bog-standard concave glass lens from ebay, cheap and cheerful.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 21:06:13 »
Same answer every time this comes up:

HHKB has barz. Barz win.

Model M has bars too - multiple win!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 23:01:28 »

Oh god, what where they thinking when the designed the set!

Having a successful product requires engineers with brainz.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 20:54:59 »

All you'd need is a nipple on them to make them satisfy everyone!

But then no-one would probably buy them :rolleyes:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 21:05:20 »

But then no-one would probably buy them ::)

Products for everyone tend to turn into purchasing for no one.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 04:04:02 »

But then no-one would probably buy them ::)

Products for everyone tend to turn into purchasing for no one.

Try to satisfy everyone, and you'll end up satisfying no-one.

Offline rurushu

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 00:51:57 »
prefer scoops over bars  ^-^

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 04:01:55 »

Why?

I find that my fingers can't distinguish scoops very well, but bars I can find in an instant.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 08:47:05 »
Do you have sausage fingers?

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 08:57:21 »

Types fast, lives hard.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 20:38:35 »

Me?  No, long thin fingers.

Offline benderkey

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 10:57:09 »
Broke the tie.

Bars win!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 20:23:15 »
Broke the tie.

Bars win!

Yay!

Model M has bars anyway!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 00:48:02 »
I think I voted neither but I'm partial to bars since that is all I've known thus far

Offline rurushu

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 21:47:07 »

Why?

I find that my fingers can't distinguish scoops very well, but bars I can find in an instant.
Hmm... for me finding them is not difficult for scoops or bars, but after tried scoops, felt they are nice to the touch, that is all

Offline Dr_Alphabet

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 21:53:29 »
I just got my first taste of scoops with the recent hyperfuse release. At first, I didn't even recognize they were there but now I ****ing love them. They just cradle your tips so lovingly and unobtrusively. I will never go back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Look at me. Look at me. Look what I can do. I'm amazing - Peter Gabriel

Offline rurushu

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 21:58:08 »
I just got my first taste of scoops with the recent hyperfuse release. At first, I didn't even recognize they were there but now I ****ing love them. They just cradle your tips so lovingly and unobtrusively. I will never go back.

Right, right? They felt so noice

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 23:04:50 »

Welcome to the club!

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 02:07:37 »
wow, didn't expect the vote results to be so even

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 06:10:31 »
wow, didn't expect the vote results to be so even

Bars are getting traction. It was a little bit lower on the last vote.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 06:16:10 »
Before using bars, I was neither by the way, since I don't use a 10-finger style, homing seemed pointless, tho, practically, I've grown to love the bars, very quickly too

Now that I'm so used to bars, using D/SA keycaps back again is problematic, wish they made an alternative bar-like nudge (wouldn't look good tho) - the nipple would probably be too extreme for me, I guess it's another reason to stick to GMK's

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 07:07:26 »
Before using bars, I was neither by the way, since I don't use a 10-finger style, homing seemed pointless, tho, practically, I've grown to love the bars, very quickly too

Now that I'm so used to bars, using D/SA keycaps back again is problematic, wish they made an alternative bar-like nudge (wouldn't look good tho) - the nipple would probably be too extreme for me, I guess it's another reason to stick to GMK's

I Agree that the deep dish on DSA sucks.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 07:12:14 »
I Agree that the deep dish on DSA sucks.

Hmm, very interesting, I guess because the bottom and top edges aren't scooped? (So instead of leaving your finger, it might be gripping it in place)

If most scoop users similarly find D/SA dishes sub-optimal, I guess we might have a case for an alternative homing design for D/SA keycaps

Offline wodan

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 07:15:06 »

So you're saying they're .... bi ?

Works for some ...

Offline rioc

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 09:33:37 »
can't we have barred-scoops?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 10:34:37 »

So you're saying they're .... bi ?

Works for some ...

:)) :)) :))

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 14:22:41 »
What is better, a scooped bar, or a barred scoop?

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 14:23:53 »

A scoop in bars

Offline rioc

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 01:06:04 »

A bar in scoops

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 01:08:11 »
Oh boy.
I've been GH long enough to see a few too many bar fights.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline rioc

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 01:20:24 »
Oh boy.

just wait till this next fight Scoops you up :P

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 01:28:05 »
Oh boy.

oh boy
that might get my nipples in a twist
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline rioc

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 03:25:37 »
Oh boy.

oh boy
that might get my nipples in a twist

oh man... you're right, what's with the nipples? How could nipples be forgotten?

I want DSA with bulge and nippel... (or even cheeks?)

Offline jgodinez302

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 16:05:34 »
I'm more of a scooped contour myself. For some reason I always home better with that than I do with the bars.

Offline DanB

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 13:51:07 »
I prefer scoops as it kinda guides my pointers to rest on the caps, but at the same time, bars feel fine too.
Kingsaver, Koala

Offline orpheo

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 03:46:40 »
First I typed on OG cherry with scooped and I felt lost, but it grew on me! Love both scooped and nipple on my Wey Tec GMK!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 05:04:49 »
HHKB and Model M both have bars.

Why is this thread still open?

Offline Otesanek

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 00:03:10 »
I'm definitely a bars man.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 01:23:24 »
The cost of a 1u key added to a complete set is €0.5.

So if you add f j 5 with bars, you only add €1.5 to the final price, while making happy the majority of group buyers, and selling a higher number of sets.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 November 2016, 01:25:35 by Giorgio »

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 10:29:50 »
^ It's easy to do it this way, everybody is pleased (un theory, because you will allways have a hater saying "I don't want to pay for bars/scoops if I don't use them" :P )
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 14:18:27 »
nipples