Author Topic: [IC] GMK Nova  (Read 29024 times)

Offline Samwello

[IC] GMK Nova
« on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 15:39:08 »

“When a star goes supernova, the explosion emits enough light to overshadow an entire solar system,
even a galaxy. Such explosions can set off the creation of new stars.

In its own way, it was not unlike being born.”

-Todd, Nelson

GMK Nova is designed after a galaxy; a galaxy which inspires hopes and dreams when looking to it from lightyears away. The color scheme of this set fades from a bright blue/green into a dark navy. This gradient represents a nova and its light from a distant galaxy. The white legends on these keycaps are like tiny stars shining through the darkness of the universe. I would love all of your thoughts/feedback/ ideas. Thank you all!

Also, I just wanted to give you a link to the beautiful set SA DreamEater: http://www.mechsupply.co.uk/product/sa-dreameater
Even though DreamEater and my set are different and are not related, they can appear similar. So please feel free to check it out if you haven't already!

:Base Elements:

The Base Kit. Updated to include support for a variety of different layouts.

:Star Elements:

The Novelties. These help to inspire the feeling of space even further.

:Extension Elements:

The Extension Kit. This expands the compatibility with different layouts.

:Space Elements:

Spacebar Kit. This allows you to better choose the gradient of the spacebar, f row, and bottom row keys.

:Deskmats:

These enhance the space theme and match the base kit.

*Updates*

I have updated the base kit to accommodate a larger array of layouts. I have also added a few more sets to either cater to different layouts, enhance the gradient, or add more novelties to the novelty kit.

*To-Do List*

Contact Vendors.

More Renders

*TGR Jane*

FAQ

Colors: All of these colors are matched to exact Pantone colors.

IC Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf33nOxM7yuaFpZwoPlmj7p_GYaGekn3R4TMhpseHY8w07hcg/viewform

Please note that these are the same keycaps under the name “Galaxy Keycaps” on reddit. Here is the link to it: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/g1jxog/galaxy_keycaps_cherry_dsa_or_sa_feedback/

Here is a link to my Discord server if anyone wants updates: https://discord.gg/TYWJ5FA

Acknowledgements

Huge thanks to Papi the Red for designing the novelties/deskpads and for doing the deskmat renders! Also, another huge thanks to Kingk22 for doing the keycap renders!

« Last Edit: Sat, 08 August 2020, 21:50:44 by Samwello »

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
Re: [IC] GMK Nova
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 15:42:19 »
Cherry profile in renders, SP SA in info - which is it?

If it is indeed SP that is going to be a pretty expensive base kit. Seems like pretty standard GMK kitting to me.

I like the deskmats though, if this makes it to GB I might be in for one of those
Hoarder Collector and designer

Classifieds

Offline Samwello

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 15:47:19 »
The info at the bottom was just for SA DreamEater. GMK Nova is cherry. Edit: I edited it out to avoid confusion.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 May 2020, 16:09:35 by Samwello »

Offline bobdenard

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 16:26:34 »
Looking good! Not enough GMK gradient sets out there. Too expensive maybe?

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 16:30:44 »
Deep navy is Pantone 282c. What’s your dark blue here?

Offline Samwello

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 16:42:30 »
Deep navy is Pantone 282c. What’s your dark blue here?
The dark blue on mine is 2767C.

Offline Ulliam

• Formerly Papithered
  • 𝖚𝖑𝖑𝖎.𝖆𝖒
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 19:30:48 »
Looking great man :D

Offline fabijolo

• I like expensive plastic.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 00:10:06 »
I believe a better fit for this set might be KAT or SA profile (also with kat you would be able to offer it for a much more affordable price, since doing a set like this in GMK will probably be like 140-150ish maybe, which would probably turn a lot of people, who got used to gmk sets being around the 120$ mark off)

Offline ShovelScum

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 00:53:26 »
If i may make a couple of suggestions that i think may fix a couple of issues.

1: One of the issues i have is the gradient seems uneven with the F row keys. Maybe i am just a stickler. :P I have a couple of suggestions in the photos attached that may fix that. Red lines suggest the direction/line that the gradient could be fixed for the set to better match. Again, this is 100% opinion. Either Match F5 with the color on the alpha row 6-Y-H-N, or line all of the gradients the way that the ESC is with Alpha Row 1-Q-A-Z-ALT. Pictures attached.

2: I posted a possible fix for the uneven-ness of the Spacebar that some people have made a complaint about. Although it does not bother me nearly as much as the F row keys. Lol

Either way you take the space bar row, i am actually enjoying either aesthetically. The only requested fix i would make, are the suggestions for the F-Row Gradient  in the photos.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2020, 00:56:15 by ShovelScum »
Like the name suggests, I am the ScumBag who rides a Shovel through this landfill.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 01:07:26 »
great mat, great colors, set looks good.
I love Elzy

Offline ceejaybvIbin

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 06:50:37 »
set looks good. interested in GMK. love the gradient!

Offline PFPoitras

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 20:42:54 »
This is very aesthetically pleasing.

What pantone is the 5TGB keys? That color is amazing!
Active:
Some cheap Hexgears hotswap (BOX Pink with BOX white springs)
GMMK Full size (BOX Jades)
Logitech G610 (MX Browns)
Inactive:
DIY Ergodox (BOX Royals)
CM Quickfire XT (MX Blue)

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 23:47:38 »
I was just thinking today that I'd like to get a gradient set. This is blue and GMK so I dig it  :thumb:

Offline BloodyMarvel

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 23:56:43 »

1: One of the issues i have is the gradient seems uneven with the F row keys. Maybe i am just a stickler. :P I have a couple of suggestions in the photos attached that may fix that. Red lines suggest the direction/line that the gradient could be fixed for the set to better match. Again, this is 100% opinion. Either Match F5 with the color on the alpha row 6-Y-H-N, or line all of the gradients the way that the ESC is with Alpha Row 1-Q-A-Z-ALT. Pictures attached.

2: I posted a possible fix for the uneven-ness of the Spacebar that some people have made a complaint about. Although it does not bother me nearly as much as the F row keys. Lol

Either way you take the space bar row, i am actually enjoying either aesthetically. The only requested fix i would make, are the suggestions for the F-Row Gradient  in the photos.

There should probably be a second set of F1~F5 with different gradient colors included in the set for those who are using a 75% board where the F-keys are closer together.

Offline Owl

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 13 June 2020, 10:41:29 »
everyone rags on gradient sets but I like this. And I am for sure interested in those deskmats.

Offline ShovelScum

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 13 June 2020, 20:46:06 »

There should probably be a second set of F1~F5 with different gradient colors included in the set for those who are using a 75% board where the F-keys are closer together.

Very good point. But i think the reason they aren't offering that is because i guess the 75% market isn't big enough?...
Well hopefully, for your sake, they offer a add-on for that. Guess we will see if they notice that.
Like the name suggests, I am the ScumBag who rides a Shovel through this landfill.

Offline Novafish

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 02:02:00 »
might be obligated to join

Offline manaorme

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 02:17:44 »
F-row and Spacebar? That's no no.
Need some change with them.
They are messing the gradient.

Offline Samwello

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 10:16:29 »
This is very aesthetically pleasing.

What pantone is the 5TGB keys? That color is amazing!
Those keys are Blue 072C
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 June 2020, 10:18:41 by Samwello »

Offline Samwello

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 10:22:15 »

Yeah, I'm remaking all of the kitting at the moment. It's going to include a lot more options!

Offline ShovelScum

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 23:06:47 »
Any word on this? Still interested. No updates in a while. Just wanted to check up to see if this was moving.

Offline Samwello

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 20:18:42 »
Any word on this? Still interested. No updates in a while. Just wanted to check up to see if this was moving.
Sorry for the lack of updates. Things have been moving along but slower than what I would have liked. Planning on updating the IC very soon!

Offline ShovelScum

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 21:16:41 »
Sorry for the lack of updates. Things have been moving along but slower than what I would have liked. Planning on updating the IC very soon!

Cool! Was just hoping it didn't die. Lol. Glad to hear it's still moving though! Definitely interested.

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 21:29:17 »
I love to look at stars when I can in the night sky, and it's always hard because of too much light at night. However, I can now finally stare at something that reminds me of stars when I'm away from being outside :D.

Definitely interested! I'll be watching from here on out!

Offline Samwello

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 21:51:25 »
*Updated* (Progress, Kits, etc...)

Offline Dazon

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 22:06:17 »
oh no, not another good set i need to buy, I'm in

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 00:38:36 »
Like it. I’d pay the multiple color tax for it too.

Offline Shinryuuki

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 14:28:29 »
I love the theme and colours, this could easily my endgame keycap set.
Though, I still have some gripes with the gradient direction.
I don't see any seamless way of accomplishing a cohesive gradient with the current \\\\\\ orientation.
I hope you'll consider making the gradient oriented this way ////// instead.
Otherwise, great work so far!

Offline KRY2SOON

• Divine Studios
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 16:32:29 »
Your colors, are very nice.

Offline Ninefox

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 15:28:52 »
Is this Project like dead, or what did happen with it ?

Offline Samwello

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 23:29:05 »
No, this project is not dead. Still working on getting things done. I know it has been taking a while... mainly due to a lot of priorities at the moment. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Offline Buburoo

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 08:17:27 »
ne pantone/ral ?

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 08:43:34 »
Wait, they turned me into a GMK Set?  ;)

Offline RoyalOak88

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 10:47:25 »
No, this project is not dead. Still working on getting things done. I know it has been taking a while... mainly due to a lot of priorities at the moment. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Planning on adding an International North/South kit? It would be nice  :p

Offline Konami_Ai

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 11:46:52 »
I like the updates. I don't see the hate that gradient sets get, I like them a lot. (Though I know multiple colours can drive the cost up)

I see this project started almost a year ago, and since then, quite a few successful gradient sets have gone live and were pretty successful!

I do hope to see more from this one!

Offline Samwello

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 22:28:34 »

Planning on adding an International North/South kit? It would be nice  :p
There's always a chance. Right now I just have to finish up a few other things with the kit.

Offline Samwello

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 22:31:01 »
ne pantone/ral ?
I'm using coated pantones here. However, there is a chance that I might have to use uncoated so the numbers may not be exact. Once everything becomes more official I'll have to post the pantones used.

Offline yuutsu

• Consumer of Brioche Loaf
    • Desktop Designs
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 13:45:04 »
sooooooo forcing me to buy the accent kit to make it look good? or to get f13? Imagine...

Offline lys.nordique

• Formerly 'scatology'
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 14:34:19 »
I don't particularly like blue. This set makes me like blue. It's because it's on fcking point. Gonna buy.

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 14:35:31 »
gradient is not for me but I can see you put in work on the IC, good luck
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline Samwello

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 20:57:28 »
sooooooo forcing me to buy the accent kit to make it look good? or to get f13? Imagine...
Nothing is set in stone yet. Most things are just a result of what the majority of people want. However, there hasn't been a lot of suggestions for the f13. If you have suggestions please let me know! (:

Offline Vegas_

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 04:54:50 »
this is gorgeous!! lovely gradient, very keen to see any & all updates on this!