Author Topic: [GB] the Heavy-6: upgrade housing for the Leopold FC660C - SHIPPED, extras avail  (Read 16468 times)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
Hello fellow keyboard nerds.

I've announced my housing for the Leopold FC660c, called the Heavy-6, in other places online, but the design grew out of a GeekHack IC thread, and some folks here have suggested I should list it as a proper GH GB as well, which I'm happy to do. (When it comes to keyboard communities, I'm more than happy to be polyamorous.) I'll endeavor to keep all the GB threads in various places updated as progress occurs and items ship, but as ever, the best way to stay in touch with what I'm doing (especially new projects) is on my email list.

The Heavy-6 is so named because its all-steel backplate acts as a weight, nearly doubling the heft of the aluminum upper housing—to four pounds with the keyboard installed. And for the high rollers, also by popular demand, I’ve even made an all-steel version, suitable for both self-defense and data-entry purposes, which weighs in at an astounding 7 pounds.

In general, I've tried to offer a more artistically-curated set of limited finishes and options this time around compared to previous group buys (which were considerably more promiscuous in the finishes department). Here is a sampling of the range.

Here are some specs:

I've also designed and am offering an optional California-made custom padded tactical carry bag, specifically made to fit the Heavy-6.

There is lots more info in the GB page, but I'm also very happy to answer any and all questions here. My current plan is to end the group buy this weekend (13 October). The orders are slated to ship in the late winter, with the textured powder coat options shipping 1-2 months after the anodized and PVD finishes.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 June 2019, 17:15:22 by norbauer »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Re: the Heavy-6: upgrade housing for the Leopold FC660C
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 12:27:45 »
Approved  :) Please update the OP with the timeline you have on your website!
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline norbauer

Re: the Heavy-6: upgrade housing for the Leopold FC660C
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 12:31:47 »
Approved  :) Please update the OP with the timeline you have on your website!

Done. Thanks for catching that! It's getting hard to remember what I've posted where these days. :)

Offline bluesclera

Re: [GB] the Heavy-6: upgrade housing for the Leopold FC660C
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 12:46:42 »
What would be the price of the Monolith without any coating?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 13:52:21 »
What would be the price of the Monolith without any coating?

Hmm. I'm not really sure. I would guess basically the same, actually. The PVD coating is very expensive, but I got my pricing by committing to a certain number and reducing that by one probably wouldn't save me any meaningful amount. (PVD pricing is usually by the chamber-full.)

I do, however, actually have a steel prototype with some cosmetic defects in the PVD coating, which would be entirely covered by any coating or other finishing process. I was going to get that powder coated, but I could sell that one to you now at a slight discount (email shop@norbauer.com if interested) if that would suit whatever you had in mind. But really on the Monolith, all the (relative) cost is really in the machine time on the parts, not the finishing process.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 09:50:41 »
Quick update: by request, I've added a black anodized option for those folks who feel that black that it is a better complement to the stock FC660C keycap colors but don't have the required fortune to acquire the Monolith version. :)

Offline alisonica

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 14:11:48 »
Quick update: by request, I've added a black anodized option for those folks who feel that black that it is a better complement to the stock FC660C keycap colors but don't have the required fortune to acquire the Monolith version. :)

Is it possible to change the color of the logo on the monolith? to Maroon red

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 14:41:53 »
But purple is the color of royalty

Offline norbauer

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 15:05:24 »

Sadly, I'm afraid not. I'm actually currently in a tug-of-war with the badge maker as it is, because they want really high per-color MOQs, and I need four colors of the same design but low quantities (by their standards). And I don't suspect that asking them to add a one-off color would help my case. :) Sorry about that. I wish I could offer a wider array of badge colors myself, but I just tried to pick ones that would complement the color options available as best I could.

Offline alisonica

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 04:41:40 »

Well I have a full set of HotKeysProject Black Maroon
205307-0

And I kinda have no options here :))

Sadly, I'm afraid not. I'm actually currently in a tug-of-war with the badge maker as it is, because they want really high per-color MOQs, and I need four colors of the same design but low quantities (by their standards). And I don't suspect that asking them to add a one-off color would help my case. :) Sorry about that. I wish I could offer a wider array of badge colors myself, but I just tried to pick ones that would complement the color options available as best I could.

Ok but then is it possible to purchase an extra Red logo from motorsport for my monolith? I sincerely apologize for my OCD, sry for double post
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 October 2018, 08:20:05 by alisonica »

Offline razor_blade

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 08:54:18 »
Ryan, what are the internal dimensions of the bag? I'm curious to see if it will fit a TGR-Alice too...

Offline norbauer

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 10:22:22 »

Well I have a full set of HotKeysProject Black Maroon
(Attachment Link)

And I kinda have no options here :))

Ok but then is it possible to purchase an extra Red logo from motorsport for my monolith? I sincerely apologize for my OCD, sry for double post

Oh, yeah. Totally. I'm happy to send you one for free, but would just ask you to remind me when the final cases are shipping, as I don't really have a way to track logo badges that I need to ship apart from the keyboards. :)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 10:33:03 »
Ryan, what are the internal dimensions of the bag? I'm curious to see if it will fit a TGR-Alice too...

I actually don't have the bag sample right now (Huey from TopClack wanted it to do a review) and unfortunately won't have it back until after the GB is closed. The workshop actually built their patterns off of a physical Heavy-6 prototype and not numerical specs, so believe it or not, I don't actually have the internal dimensions documented. =\ From memory and looking at/measuring my Heavy-6 right now, my guess might be something 37cm x 15cm x 4.5cm. We built it with a bit of wiggle room to make it easy to get the back in and out (i.e., not too form-fitting), so there may be slightly more room in the bag, but I think these are safe numbers.

I hope this helps, but just let me know if I can answer any other questions or be of any other assistance.l

Offline vinzlr

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 13:00:10 »
Hey Norb, I emailed you about this, but I also found some measuring tape and took measurements myself but I still have a question.

First off the TGR Alice is 348mm x 130mm so I believe that it should fit perfectly in the heavy-6 bag.

If I just purchase a Heavy-6 bag will that ship out immediately or will I have to wait for all GB stuff to be fulfilled?

Thanks,

Offline norbauer

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 15:01:51 »
Hey Norb, I emailed you about this, but I also found some measuring tape and took measurements myself but I still have a question.

First off the TGR Alice is 348mm x 130mm so I believe that it should fit perfectly in the heavy-6 bag.

If I just purchase a Heavy-6 bag will that ship out immediately or will I have to wait for all GB stuff to be fulfilled?

Thanks,

Oh, it should absolutely fit then. That is almost identical to the footprint of the FC660C. The bag will also nicely fit FC660M and FC660C keyboards without an aluminum housing, for those who prefer to carry around something lighter.

BTW, I don't think I got your email. Did you send it to shop@norbauer.com? I don't currently have any unanswered replies in my inbox.

The bags are being made to order at the close of the group buy (which ends today, incidentally), but they'll be finished likely before the keyboards (in a couple of months, I'd guess). If you don't have anything else in your order, it should fulfill immediately when the bags come into stock and won't require waiting until the keyboards are ready. So I guess the answer is: somewhere in between the two. ;)

Offline vinzlr

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 15:04:49 »

Thanks,

Oh, it should absolutely fit then. That is almost identical to the footprint of the FC660C. The bag will also nicely fit FC660M and FC660C keyboards without an aluminum housing, for those who prefer to carry around something lighter.

BTW, I don't think I got your email. Did you send it to shop@norbauer.com? I don't currently have any unanswered replies in my inbox.

The bags are being made to order at the close of the group buy (which ends today, incidentally), but they'll be finished likely before the keyboards (in a couple of months, I'd guess). If you don't have anything else in your order, it should fulfill immediately when the bags come into stock and won't require waiting until the keyboards are ready. So I guess the answer is: somewhere in between the two. ;)

I was wondering if it sent yesterday because I could not find it in my sent box despite remembering sending it. Thanks for getting back to me though! Super excited it will fit and I am about to go purchase one much to my wallet's dismay.

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 19:07:00 »
Is this a different type of matte retro-refrigerator compared to the shiny retro-refrigerator coating of the Nnorbaforce finish?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 22:20:29 »
Is this a different type of matte retro-refrigerator compared to the shiny retro-refrigerator coating of the Nnorbaforce finish?

Correct.

Offline razor_blade

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 22:52:29 »

Thanks,

I was wondering if it sent yesterday because I could not find it in my sent box despite remembering sending it. Thanks for getting back to me though! Super excited it will fit and I am about to go purchase one much to my wallet's dismay.

You guys are the best. Thanks!

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 00:30:41 »

****, I wish I had a Leopold fc660c :(

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 02:36:24 »

****, I wish I had a Leopold fc660c :(

An easily solved problem, where as this GB will most likely not be re-run.

Offline Troif

• Carpe Diem!!!
    • Daniel Ferrer
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 15:14:30 »
Any news?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
--
Filco TKL Ninja Blues / CODE Greens / Pok3r Clears / HHKBpro2 / RF 87U 55g / Novatouch TKL / KC60 Clears / SSK and also regular Model M

Offline Beatnutz

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 16:05:51 »
Any news?

This thread is dead since a long time. Updates are given over at Keebtalk.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 18:30:53 »
Any news?

Most likely the only thing keeping that sight alive is the GB updates people refuse to post on Geekhack which is kinda messed up. Run a group buy on geekhack then never update it instead going to another website or discord.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 00:14:20 »
Any news?

Most likely the only thing keeping that sight alive is the GB updates people refuse to post on Geekhack which is kinda messed up. Run a group buy on geekhack then never update it instead going to another website or discord.

I emailed everyone directly who participated in the group buy an update week before last. Between direct email, GeekHack, Reddit, and KeebTalk, it's just a lot of things to remember to update; I haven't intentionally been not posting here. Anyway, those emails and posts just detailed a few production issues I've been grappling with, for which I reached out to the affected folks directly. We're still on track for the originally anticipated "before the end of spring" timeline for all other orders, so there isn't really much of a substantive update to offer, really, unless one happens to be among those people to whom I reached out privately. The production details post referenced above is here for those interested. Main practical upshot is that I've re-opened pre-orders while the final production happens so that folks who had their orders cancelled could pick up an alternative finish if they wanted to.

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 20:04:44 »
As always Ryan your work exceeds my expectations.
The case colors always come out twice as vibrant in person, and motorsport is no exception, it's just beautiful in the sunlight!
Using extreme bke redux domes and the typing feel is really solid, I don't hear any of the reverb echo the norbaforce has.
Hasu controller board fits with no problems.
Between the powdercoat finish, the backplate, the metal threaded logo and the bag interior this is a very texture-rich experience.
Happy to have my new travel baby finally finished, thank you!
217072-0217074-1217076-2
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 April 2019, 20:21:46 by Rumblehotep »

Offline Troif

• Carpe Diem!!!
    • Daniel Ferrer
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 06:48:51 »
The case colors always come out twice as vibrant in person, and motorsport is no exception, it's just beautiful in the sunlight!
Using extreme bke redux domes and the typing feel is really solid, I don't hear any of the reverb echo the norbaforce has.
Between the powdercoat finish, the backplate, the metal threaded logo and the bag interior this is a very texture-rich experience.
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

My NorbaForce also had a BIG ping noise, but using a layer of rubber makes it PERFECT, zero ping. Lovely Thock-Thock.
--
Filco TKL Ninja Blues / CODE Greens / Pok3r Clears / HHKBpro2 / RF 87U 55g / Novatouch TKL / KC60 Clears / SSK and also regular Model M

Offline norbauer

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 13:19:43 »
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Thanks so much for sharing this! Those are some delightfully unhinged caps.

For anyone still looking to get a Heavy-6, by the way, I have a mix of in-stock shipping options available now, along with a couple of finishes (Royal Wrinkle and Enigma Gray) that will be shipping in a few weeks. Quantities and available finishes are quite limited, but just in case anyone missed out and wanted to get one while the getting is still good. :) Due to the current limited FC660C availability, I don't plan on running this design again.

Offline norbauer

I finally got around to taking proper photos of the Royal Wrinkle and Enigma Gray finishes on this design.

More of them on the product page.

As of the moment, I believe I have at least a few of the Enigma Gray in stock.