Author Topic: Glorious Panda Switch Review  (Read 10076 times)

Offline ThereminGoat

Glorious Panda Switch Review
« on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 10:04:52 »
Hey all,

I'm excited to say that the roller coaster that has been the Glorious Panda switch announcement and rollout is finally over. And with it, I am proud to share my review to answer all your questions and concerns about this insanely contentious switch in no less than 12 full pages. As always, you can find it in the links below, and I would absolutely love to hear your feedback about it!

Website Link: https://theremingoat.com
Direct Link: https://www.theremingoat.com/blog/glorious-panda-switch-review
GitHub Scoresheets: https://github.com/ThereminGoat/switch-scores

Cheers,
-Goat

Offline HungerMechanic

Re: Glorious Panda Switch Review
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 00:14:53 »
This review is the best written source of information we have on the switch right now. Can you tell me if the stem bottoms-out in the same way [i.e. HARD] and with the loud thock that occurs with the original HP?

Offline secretrudite

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 07:50:52 »
Great article, thank you very much!  ;D

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 08:50:02 »
Mods please delete, I posted to the wrong thread.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 September 2020, 08:54:39 by Rob27shred »

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 19:30:03 »
Glorious in it self is cringe to be honest trying hard to clone successful products and then hyping it as the next thing. They don't care about the mechanical keyboard community they want to reach a bigger audience and since Holy panda's reached every normie i am not surprised that they cloned it. If they really cared about the mechanical keyboard community they would have innovated something new or at least something with a different name and colorway at the least.

This company is all about making money they don't care about the community its all a face.

current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 10:58:27 »
Now that was a thorough review, like seeing reviews still being done in writing as alot can be missed in visual reviews on YT.  I'm guessing filming these would probably be beneficial to the switches (obviously lubing as well).  Hopefully I'll take the time to order a set to using in my board at work so i can try them out (I use tactiles at work and linears at home).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline ThereminGoat

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 14:52:24 »
Now that was a thorough review, like seeing reviews still being done in writing as alot can be missed in visual reviews on YT.

Thank you and I agree! Back when I started this all I couldn't seem to find any good longform reviews of switches - everything was either brief paragraph descriptions or YouTube videos. I figured I may as well use the keyboards I buy and put some miles on them writing. :D

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 07:56:52 »
I mean writing a review is a good way to actually get a good feel for the switches.  Alot that I have seen via YT seem to barely use them for actually typing and more in games (which really wont tell that much about a switch).  At least I can say video's from WildCat can at least give me an idea on how they will sound.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline SKx1

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 14:58:22 »
A fantastic and informative review. Pre ordered these awhile ago and now feel like I have a better understanding on what to expect when they arrive, thanks!  :thumb:

Offline hong@RebultKeyboards

• Rebult Keyboards
    • Rebult Keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 20:17:49 »
Have some coming in later this year. Great information given! Appreciate written reviews like this :D

Offline azzipa

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 18:15:19 »
Fantastic article about Glorious Holy Pandas, thanks.

You wrote, "I’m not entirely sure how I still feel regarding the intricate drama and decision making made by GPCGR in developing their first marketed switch. On one hand, I feel compelled to be completely forgiving and excited about the transparency that came from a large, outside company that could have easily just chosen to ignore the outrage from a relatively small community as compared to their target market and following. On the other, I’m inclined in some capacity to still agree with the folks in the community who think that this drama was either contrived or more devious than it appears outright."

I'm in agreement. Initially I thought they might be interesting to try. After reading I'm like, "meh". Doesn't help that they're packaged in 36 and are designed for plate mount. Maybe another time.

Offline DarthChrisDK

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 06:01:54 »
This was a really great read. I appreciate the effort put into this write-up and how thoroughly you went about it.

Drop CTRL High Profile + MiTo XDA Canvas

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 16:39:41 »

"emotions surrounding the release of the switches"

Emotions?  Uh...  "just the facts, ma'am"

I got one of the gmmk doorbuster deals, so I guess I'll have a taste of it soon.   ;D