Author Topic: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.  (Read 1243939 times)

Offline fisofo

Re: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #2850 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 18:21:58 »
Got mine assembled yesterday; took a day off from work to do it, and good thing too, cause it took me ALL day! But worked on first try, so that's nice :D

Now to figure out what layout to use... I'm really debating whether to move to an entirely new layout, like to Colemak or something.

Edit: meant colemak, not colemark :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 August 2013, 18:27:40 by fisofo »

Offline gropingmantis

« Reply #2851 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 19:32:23 »
You only need to short them on the left hand side and only on the top.

Thanks. I did that. Checked all my joints and they seem ok. Certainly no shorts. Could it be to do with the firmware? I'm using the teensy-loader-cli (arch linux) and i couldnt find any difference between flashing the .eep or the .hex so I did both in that order.

Offline gropingmantis

« Reply #2852 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 19:51:37 »
well i mashed some keys in frustration and now it works...

oh well.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2853 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 22:10:18 »

This. Both my ErgoDoxes only have the top pad soldered and work perfectly.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #2854 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 04:52:52 »

This. Both my ErgoDoxes only have the top pad soldered and work perfectly.

Yeah, just tested, and the pad underneath is already shorted.

So, for anyone wanting to use the PB4 pin on the Teensy for anything, make sure to cut the track between that pad on the right hand PCB, or it will have +5v on it!

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #2855 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 06:01:13 »
Just setting B4 to low output would probably be a bad idea as well. It may have been a better decision to leave both jumper pads unconnected. But this way everything have a chance of working without jumpering any of them. The pad connecting the capacitor to GND does of course need to be shorted for the capacitor to work at all.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #2856 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 13:32:00 »
I got mine today and just finished building it, although I can't find how to get æ ø å in the eDox layout configurator, anyone here able to help?
Edit:
Turns out that just loading the default firmware does set it to Norwegian layout.
Although one of the LEDs is constantly on, is this normal?

Also, will I need access to the button on the teensy every time I want to change layout?
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 August 2013, 13:41:45 by vun »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2857 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 14:28:56 »
I got mine today and just finished building it, although I can't find how to get æ ø å in the eDox layout configurator, anyone here able to help?
Edit:
Turns out that just loading the default firmware does set it to Norwegian layout.
Although one of the LEDs is constantly on, is this normal?

Also, will I need access to the button on the teensy every time I want to change layout?

You cna set a button to be mapped as they key for the teensy button.

I think it might be the numlock/scroll lock which is always on.

Offline thadood

« Reply #2858 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 16:42:49 »
So, I started noticing this yesterday, but the F key on my Ergodox occasionally will begin to repeat itself. Sometimes it's just once or twice, other times it's like it's been stuck down and just repeating.

Now, this is the same key that I managed to pull off the switch top + stem (Curse you, SP DSA PBT's), which I just put back together, which it worked fine. This issue didn't happen the day of me pulling the top off, which leads me to believe that it's either the diode or the IO expander.

What say you guys? Should I just reflow the IO expander and diode to the F key and see if it resolves the occasional repeat?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2859 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 16:47:13 »
So, I started noticing this yesterday, but the F key on my Ergodox occasionally will begin to repeat itself. Sometimes it's just once or twice, other times it's like it's been stuck down and just repeating.

Now, this is the same key that I managed to pull off the switch top + stem (Curse you, SP DSA PBT's), which I just put back together, which it worked fine. This issue didn't happen the day of me pulling the top off, which leads me to believe that it's either the diode or the IO expander.

What say you guys? Should I just reflow the IO expander and diode to the F key and see if it resolves the occasional repeat?

If you have another switch spare, I'd say swap the switch out.

Offline thadood

« Reply #2860 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 17:00:23 »

If you have another switch spare, I'd say swap the switch out.

I got the one extra, I guess that'd be an easy way to do it. I don't understand how pulling the stem out would really mess with anything aside from the side plastic snaps that hold it together.

Offline planet36

« Reply #2861 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 23:53:59 »
Though I'd share my ErgoDox build:

Mostly done, a couple of things left here and there

Covers on:
Show Image

Show Image

Covers off:
Show Image

Show Image

I decided to swap the position of the resistors and the LEDs since, the keys were not going to be programmed Caps/Num/Scroll Lock, and thus having LED in that position didn't make sense. Since there wasn't enough space for the resistors in place of LED (Which would have gone through the switch), I decided to just use some SMD resistors.
Show Image

Show Image

Side profile, I made these feet to adjust the vertical angle of the ErgoDox to make it even more comfortable. Got various sized discs and different sized hex bolts and then balanced it out according to my comfort level. You can see that on each hand, I am missing one bumpon on one feet, the ebay dealer only sent two sets of 4 instead of 3  :mad::
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

On the todo list (In order of priority):
- Add the missing bumper to one feet on each side (Priority, should be done in next couple of days as soon as Ebay dealer ships it)
- Braided USB cable, awaiting order of USB and mini-USB ends (Shipped, yet to receive)
- Swap out the 2x keys for taller SA profile keycaps, (Shipped, yet to receive)
- Change the switch top covers to clear switch top covers (Still waiting for them to be shipped)
- Add a chainmaille armor style sleeving to both the cables (Planning phase)

Can you elaborate on your tenting solution?  Is it custom?  How tall are the legs/supports?  Are they attached through fasteners or adhesives?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2862 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 00:19:04 »
Though I'd share my ErgoDox build:

Mostly done, a couple of things left here and there

Covers on:
Show Image

Show Image

Covers off:
Show Image

Show Image

I decided to swap the position of the resistors and the LEDs since, the keys were not going to be programmed Caps/Num/Scroll Lock, and thus having LED in that position didn't make sense. Since there wasn't enough space for the resistors in place of LED (Which would have gone through the switch), I decided to just use some SMD resistors.
Show Image

Show Image

Side profile, I made these feet to adjust the vertical angle of the ErgoDox to make it even more comfortable. Got various sized discs and different sized hex bolts and then balanced it out according to my comfort level. You can see that on each hand, I am missing one bumpon on one feet, the ebay dealer only sent two sets of 4 instead of 3  :mad::
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

On the todo list (In order of priority):
- Add the missing bumper to one feet on each side (Priority, should be done in next couple of days as soon as Ebay dealer ships it)
- Braided USB cable, awaiting order of USB and mini-USB ends (Shipped, yet to receive)
- Swap out the 2x keys for taller SA profile keycaps, (Shipped, yet to receive)
- Change the switch top covers to clear switch top covers (Still waiting for them to be shipped)
- Add a chainmaille armor style sleeving to both the cables (Planning phase)

Can you elaborate on your tenting solution?  Is it custom?  How tall are the legs/supports?  Are they attached through fasteners or adhesives?

There are attached via bolts and nuts. Each leg consists of one 10mm 10mm diameter column which is counterbored to allow the but to fit in, and leave enough room on top to allow me to stick rubber bumpons.

To get the height right I got several discs ranging from 30mm in diameter to 10mm in 5mm decrements cut at the laser when I got my ergodox case initially cut. I then experimented with variable heights. The ergodox is tilted so that the topmost inner corner is at maximum height, thus angled both in x and y axis.

Offline Rolz73

« Reply #2863 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 19:20:00 »
After I got my 2nd ErgoDox a couple weeks ago, it allowed me to work on the LED mod that I have been thinking about.

Here are the photos:
https://plus.google.com/photos/114587566591376388042/albums/5917693511228777761

If anyone is wondering about my firmware modifications, they can be found here:
https://github.com/Rolzad73/ergodox-firmware

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #2864 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 12:20:31 »
Just because I like heavy cases (and cannot prevaricate...), I asked FedTech for quotes on making the five-layer ErgoDox cases out of stainless steel instead of acrylic.  The price for single units is steep ($492.50), but the price per unit at 15 cases would be $125.91.  Cases with integrated wrist rests are a little more expensive, but only by $15-20. 

Aluminum cases were quoted at almost exactly the same prices, I'm guessing at these small sizes it's mostly setup and cutting costs, not as much in materials.

I'm probably not going to pursue the metal case option at this time, but in case anyone is interested in pricing data, I figured I'd share.

http://www.fedtech.com/

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2865 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 01:29:08 »
If they could do it out of anodized aluminum, then a GB would definitely be something I'd be interested in.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #2866 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 02:08:46 »
Hi all
i want ask in here? for users ergodox
How you use thumb cluster on key 1x1 Whether you ever accidentally pressed another button?
I saw it quite difficult afraid if preesed another button

Thk
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #2867 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 06:20:46 »
I can only comment from my own experience. Because I type with my palms low, I find it difficult to hit three of the 1x thumb keys without moving my hand from home position; in fact I think I generally use my index finger for them.  It does help considerably using taller keycaps on those switches, but the placement is still less than ideal.

I would recommend not assigning heavily used commands to those keys.

Offline fisofo

« Reply #2868 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 07:40:25 »
If they could do it out of anodized aluminum, then a GB would definitely be something I'd be interested in.

Interestingly, Massdrop has stated in the current GB discussion that they will be doing a separate GB for the anodized aluminum top plate that they are currently offering with the ErgoDox. So that'd be sweet! In the current GB, it's listed at $25; I hope it'll be that cheap in a separate GB too.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #2869 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 07:49:10 »
Hah! I asked them about that, and was told:

We've got our hands really full with a lot of products right now, so launching this is kind of a no-brainer but also taking a back seat to some other products/vendors/communities... We can't only work for the Keyboard people :P

I guess they decided they could juggle one more ball, just for us Keyboard people! ;D

Offline Larken

« Reply #2870 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 13:07:25 »
classic case owners wanting to tent their ergodox, pls see.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47887.msg1023442#new
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2871 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 13:20:25 »
I can only comment from my own experience. Because I type with my palms low, I find it difficult to hit three of the 1x thumb keys without moving my hand from home position; in fact I think I generally use my index finger for them.  It does help considerably using taller keycaps on those switches, but the placement is still less than ideal.

I would recommend not assigning heavily used commands to those keys.

Agreed, getting SA caps for mine, let's see how it goes.

Offline fisofo

« Reply #2872 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 18:53:48 »
It's interesting that the ErgoDox is unable to wake a computer from sleep. Well, at least it doesn't work on my windows machine; anyone else?

Offline ic07

« Reply #2873 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 19:24:04 »
It's interesting that the ErgoDox is unable to wake a computer from sleep. Well, at least it doesn't work on my windows machine; anyone else?

That's another one of those USB features I haven't gotten too yet.

Offline OldDataHands

« Reply #2874 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 22:25:23 »
[edit: old/outdated files - please see http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=22780.msg1035938#msg1035938 for updated version]
I wanted a visual aid for helping to learn the 4 layers of my first ErgoDox layout.
I wanted to make it something that many could benefit from.
The script and template I created apply to the firmware as downloaded from MassDrop's Configurator.

The SVG output it creates looks like this:
* visaid.svg (251.76 kB - downloaded 283 times.)

and the script and associated minor changes are here:
* ergodox_visaid.patch.gz (23.64 kB - downloaded 226 times.)
It should be applied to the source as downloaded from MassDrop's Configurator with
the patch command (after decompressing) (or equivalent) likely ignoring two names in the path.
i.e. From the source directory you would run:> patch --strip=2 -i ergodox_visaid.patch
and then you would run:> make visaid
which would created visaid.svg which you could then view, manipulate, print, etc. with Inkscape.

The script relies upon the m4 macro processor and gcc being available in PATH, and takes its data
from the default--layout.c file used in the MassDrop download.  It's got characters assigned to the
keys appropriate for a US keyboard.  It is simple to update the key_names.h file if your region differs.

It works for my first ErgoDox layout (DataHand Dvorak inspired, but not polished yet), but has not
seen any testing outside of my linux system. YMMV.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 September 2013, 00:14:25 by OldDataHands »

Offline fisofo

« Reply #2875 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 23:19:24 »
No worries ic07! I guess it makes sense that that would be a USB feature, hadn't thought of it being firmware related.

OldDataHands: that is brilliant! I was thinking today how something like that would be really handy; I'm looking forward to taking it for a spin once I've got my configuration nailed down.

Offline fisofo

« Reply #2876 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 23:35:04 »
Thought I'd sure my work-in-progress Colemak layout with a macro layer using modified rev-2 firmware; layout diagram is here: https://github.com/fisofo/ergodox-firmware/blob/partial-rewrite/doc/colemak.svg

It uses a toggled layer that is full of one click macros, for making quick work of the most common shortcuts I use in windows. To dig right into the customizations I made to ic07's firmware, you can view the macros I hard-coded here:
https://github.com/fisofo/ergodox-firmware/blob/partial-rewrite/firmware/keyboard/ergodox/layout/common/keys.c.h
And the layout file is here:
https://github.com/fisofo/ergodox-firmware/blob/partial-rewrite/firmware/keyboard/ergodox/layout/colemak--macros-mod.c

I'm hoping I can eventually add nkro and media keys using the work that dyuri has done, but it might be awhile: https://github.com/dyuri/ergodox-firmware/

Much thanks ic07 for the base firmware and assistance, and the idea for this from frew's thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45211.0

Disclaimer: I'm new to Git and to C. The code I posted works, but if you have suggestions on how to make it better/cleaner, I'm all ears! I'll be continuing to modify this as I learn Colemak and use the ErgoDox.

Edit: Also, I'm using DCS key caps, and found it really comfortable to take a row 3 key and put it in rotated 180 degrees in the 1x1 spot on the bottom row, closest to the thumb cluster on both hands. For my hands, this is effectively another thumb key that is very easy to reach, unlike the 1x1 keys that are actually IN the thumb cluster.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 September 2013, 23:42:35 by fisofo »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2877 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 02:47:26 »
Just skimmed through the above post, once I get home will test the above.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #2878 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 05:38:09 »
Is there a way to mod the switch tops to allow the springs and stems to be changed once assembled?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2879 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 05:47:19 »
Is there a way to mod the switch tops to allow the springs and stems to be changed once assembled?

If you use the litster style acrylic case, you can remove the switch tops, there are notches on the sides so that you can open the switch cover top.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #2880 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 05:48:42 »
I went for the fullsize case...

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2881 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 05:51:39 »
If it is th acrylic one, then yes, you will be able to remove the switch tops.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #2882 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 05:55:54 »
Oh awesome, thanks :)

Offline eviltobz

« Reply #2883 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 09:01:48 »
Now to figure out what layout to use... I'm really debating whether to move to an entirely new layout, like to Colemak or something.
i took the opportunity of switching from a stupid plank of buttons to the cheapo kinesis ergo i scored on ebay shortly before hearing about the dox to also move to colemak from qwerty. if you're convinced by the idea of a better logical layout then it's a good time to do it - take the typing productivity hit all at once, rather than spreading it around. it made me sad that people use qwerty after a couple of minutes in a colemak typing tutorial, even when you suck at it you can still feel just how much better it is. that said, it's hard to recommend switching just because everything else is still qwerty. when you have to fiddle at someone else's computer it sucks, when someone in the office comes over to your machine to help you out with something, they have to dictate to you as there's no chance that they'd be able to do owt useful on your keyboard, etc. _that_ said, i still ain't switching back.

i'm planning a set of custom wasd caps for my dox which'll have prominent colemak legends but smaller qwerty stuff below so i can layer switch the keyboard into stupid mode to try and alleviate some of the keyboard sharing issues, or to remind me where qwerty keys lay on the odd occasion that i play a game.

Offline bitsmith

« Reply #2884 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 12:34:48 »
No, man. Just keep a little cheapo USB keyboard on your desk behind your monitor. Whip it out when you have to share. :D

Offline eviltobz

« Reply #2885 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 14:35:43 »
heh, yeah i do that, but it's the skankiest, nastiest keyboard in the office. i've never seen one so grimy. fine by me mind, i don't have to touch it ;)

i've currently got my kinesis at work (till i can build my second dox) and people get interested by it, but the added colemak factor screws em over. being able to switch back to stupid mode will be cool for being able to get more co-workers interested.

Offline kaltar

« Reply #2886 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 18:53:36 »
Just sharing an opinion:

I didn't see the ErgoDox on massdrop until it was too late. Now I see people with aluminum cases, with nice palm rests, custom LEDs, etc.
But it's harder and harder to search all GH for info about it. If I see a Massdrop offer with all those mods, I'll jump in in a second. Now they have the PCB and blank keys on MassDrop, but they are worthless to me without all the other things. (The metallic case with wood palm rests looks just so damn good).

Ergonomically speaking, I think that kinesys' high point is the contoured keys. They DO make a difference! I wish I had a Kinesis cut in Half. That would be the ideal keyboard.

Now, how are guys owning both keyboards think of the Ergo-dox? I saw this review http://www.anandtech.com/show/7245/ergodox-review-an-ergonomic-mechanical-keyboard-via-massdrop and the guy thinks the TECK is even more comfortable! I haven't used an Ergo-dox, but looks more comfortable than the TECK, but not quite as Kinesis (Even that it's the same layout, the different height of the thumb keys and the roundness of the keys does make it a winner in my book).

Is it that hard to create a new Ergo-Dox and design it contoured? with time, a huge massdrop could be organized, and I'm pretty sure would be the best keyboard ever!

Offline fisofo

« Reply #2887 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 20:54:42 »
For those interested,  cub-uanic just posted over in the massdrop discussion (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ergodox/talk) that the TMK firmware is now working on ErgoDox. Good timing after all of that tweaking I did to Ben's, lol  :rolleyes:

That said, I let cub know that my ergodox took a huge responsiveness hit when I loaded his, so I'll keep rockin with what I have for now.

Edit: link to firmware: https://github.com/cub-uanic/tmk_keyboard/tree/cub_layout

Offline sordna

« Reply #2888 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 21:07:50 »
Just sharing an opinion:

I didn't see the ErgoDox on massdrop until it was too late. Now I see people with aluminum cases, with nice palm rests, custom LEDs, etc.
But it's harder and harder to search all GH for info about it. If I see a Massdrop offer with all those mods, I'll jump in in a second.

Massdrop never offered these mods, people do them themselves.

Ergonomically speaking, I think that kinesys' high point is the contoured keys. They DO make a difference! I wish I had a Kinesis cut in Half. That would be the ideal keyboard.
Now, how are guys owning both keyboards think of the Ergo-dox?

I am a long time kinesis user, and I think the "bowls" are too pronounced. They should be subtler.
Anyway, I have a full-hand ergodox and love it as well.  At work I use a Kinesis Advantage LF and at home
an Ergodox, both in dvorak layout. I don't really miss the bowl shape, I kinda like the variation.

Is it that hard to create a new Ergo-Dox and design it contoured?

Extremely hard. PCB's come flat... to make the contour shape you'd need special PCBs and special frames to mount them, or a special case like the maltron.

with time, a huge massdrop could be organized, and I'm pretty sure would be the best keyboard ever!

I think the best bet for a split contoured keyboard would be if Kinesis themselves make it, you can contact them here on geekhack, they have a subforum and thread where they take suggestions about the next Advantage keyboard !
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline kaltar

« Reply #2889 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 01:26:11 »
Just sharing an opinion:

But it's harder and harder to search all GH for info about it. If I see a Massdrop offer with all those mods, I'll jump in in a second.

Massdrop never offered these mods, people do them themselves.
I know. what I mean is IF I saw a mass drop where you choose the case material (not acrylic).

I am a long time kinesis user, and I think the "bowls" are too pronounced. They should be subtler.
Anyway, I have a full-hand ergodox and love it as well.  At work I use a Kinesis Advantage LF and at home
an Ergodox, both in dvorak layout. I don't really miss the bowl shape, I kinda like the variation.

Don't you think the enter - backspace keys are easier accessed in the Kinesis due to the angle they have?
If you had to type in one keyboard only, without sentimental crap of "I built it", which one would you choose?

Is it that hard to create a new Ergo-Dox and design it contoured?

Extremely hard. PCB's come flat... to make the contour shape you'd need special PCBs and special frames to mount them, or a special case like the maltron.

I think it can be changed by connecting stripes (one for ZXCVB, other for ASDFG, etc) and each one with an angle.

with time, a huge massdrop could be organized, and I'm pretty sure would be the best keyboard ever!

I think the best bet for a split contoured keyboard would be if Kinesis themselves make it, you can contact them here on geekhack, they have a subforum and thread where they take suggestions about the next Advantage keyboard !

You are right...
But the Ergo Dox looks so tempting!
Plus, it doesn't have the crapy Function keys that the Kinesis has.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2890 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 01:11:29 »
Guys get a ErgoDox SA profile (Which is great for the Ergodox), for as cheap as around $35 and even more here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48214

We need atleast 25 people for the ErgoDox kit!

Offline BliTzKiN

« Reply #2891 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 01:27:43 »
Yes guys, go get it! That way everybody wins :)

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #2892 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 12:28:46 »
I think I really need to get myself an Ergodox. I am an Emacs programmer and I use ctrl/alt/shift keys a lot. I think Ergodox can really change the typing experience.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline thadood

« Reply #2893 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 14:34:30 »
So could master race vim! I kid, I kid. You would probably love it.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #2894 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 15:36:13 »

Vim is good of course. But IMHO, it only changes the typing speed not the experience. Emacs and Vim both make heavy use of mod keys, and that could be the reason why Ergodox would be a great combination to go with Emacs and Vim. The only thing I don't feel comfortable switching to Ergodox is how difficult it is to get used to Ergodox layout.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #2895 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 21:45:52 »

Vim is good of course. But IMHO, it only changes the typing speed not the experience. Emacs and Vim both make heavy use of mod keys, and that could be the reason why Ergodox would be a great combination to go with Emacs and Vim. The only thing I don't feel comfortable switching to Ergodox is how difficult it is to get used to Ergodox layout.

Wait how does vim use mod keys? vim is mode based, regular keys do things based on the mode you're in, very few things require mod keys.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #2896 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 22:10:55 »

Wait how does vim use mod keys? vim is mode based, regular keys do things based on the mode you're in, very few things require mod keys.

Yes that's right. Emacs uses mods more often. But in Vim you do need to hit ESC very often to get out of insertion mode. I could be wrong tho. Obviously I am not a Vim expert.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #2897 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 22:49:47 »

Yes that's right. Emacs uses mods more often. But in Vim you do need to hit ESC very often to get out of insertion mode. I could be wrong tho. Obviously I am not a Vim expert.

That is true. I've just never really considered ESC a mod key since you don't press and hold it.
The edox is good for that since i can have ESC where caps lock goes and backspace on a thumb

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #2898 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 23:45:58 »

That is true. I've just never really considered ESC a mod key since you don't press and hold it.
The edox is good for that since i can have ESC where caps lock goes and backspace on a thumb

So how hard do you think the transition from ANSI layout to edox layout is?

Offline OldDataHands

« Reply #2899 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 00:10:15 »
Updated my layout visual aid generator.  Now integrates better into the MassDrop firmware source download,
warns about configuration mismatches when PRESS action is different than RELEASE action for ktrans, kprrel, shprre.
here's the old post: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=22780.msg1024010#msg1024010

Here is the new patch file: * edva.patch.gz (24.54 kB - downloaded 193 times.)
unzip it into your MassDrop firmware source directory.
Then issue the command> patch --strip=3 -i edva.patch
again, this relies upon gcc and m4 being in the path.
then issue the command> make visaid
It'll compile the executable, run it, run m4, generate the visaid.svg file.
Then you can view/print/manipulate with Inkscape.

here's a picture of the layout visual aid which gets generated:34861-1
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 September 2013, 00:55:25 by OldDataHands »