Author Topic: just an 18 year old kid jumping into the rabbit hole with everyone else :D  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Maximus_68

hello all!
I'm an 18 year old male who's been in the keyboard hobby for a few months, but didn't get around to making an account 'til now :o
Maximus is my middle name btw; whether I disclose my first name remains to be seen ;)
As I've said, I have been in the hobby for a few months; I first got into it after buying my first ever mechanical keyboard, a Durgod Taurus K320, in February. The spring ping drove me nearly insane and motivated me to buy a few keyboards from Keychron. I bought the K2 because that was the layout I was looking for, but while browsing their website, something else caught my eye. The Keychron Q1. I'd never really seen anything like that board before. "No keycaps?" I thought. I knew custom mechanical keyboards existed, obviously, but I'd yet to see an in-stock one out in the wild. "Here goes," I thought, and clicked on the Purchase button. A week or so later, and it was on my doorstep.
"You know what?" I thought. "This would make a great birthday present." As you'll probably see from the rest of my little story, I use the justification of "it's a gift" when buying keyboards. It's a good way to excuse my questionable financial decision to get into the keyboard hobby ;p
A week later, my first custom mechanical keyboard build was finished. A Keychron Q1 in carbon black, fitted with lubed Gateron Yellow KS-3x47s(milky top housing, black bottom housing) and Tai-Hao Sunset PBT Keycaps - that I later changed to Akko's Black and Pink ASA keycaps because I thought they looked better. I actually have yet to gift this keyboard, as it's for my sister and her birthday is in May. I digress.
From there, I moved on to KBDFans. The KBD75 v3.1 caught my eye, and a short while later, my next build was done. A blue KBD75 v3.1 with everglide's aqua kings, owlabs v2 stabilizers, and enjoyPBT's Sharkbait ABS Keycaps. This one I gave to my little brother as an early birthday gift(also because I was tired of hearing him typing on a membrane ;p)
Having read that I spent so much time and energy on keyboards in just a month, I suppose it's no surprise that I then bought an Idobao ID80 Crystal that I fitted with some Gateron Hippos and enjoyPBT's Milky and Purple set. I loved the aesthetic of it, but man, those silicone gaskets did nothing for the board.
But my biggest(and dumbest) purchase so far has to be the Mode Eighty. I preordered it back in mid-March, and it ships in July. I'm so excited to build in that board and many more this year.
That's my history with keyboards so far. Sorry if my post is a little long or self-indulgent; I'm just super excited to be taking another step into the mechanical keyboard community. Thanks to all who bothered to read the post and cheers!
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 April 2022, 12:41:42 by Maximus_68 »

Offline granola bar enthusiast

Welcome to geekhack... I guess? It's a bit weird welcoming someone who is older than you.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 May 2022, 14:44:43 by granola bar enthusiast »

Offline Maximus_68

lol, that's perfectly okay imo. there are a lot of people in this hobby younger than me with a wealth of knowledge that far exceeds mine. thanks for the welcome <3