Author Topic: One Cherry MX Blue switch suddenly stopped clicking  (Read 21355 times)

Offline bardomudo

One Cherry MX Blue switch suddenly stopped clicking
« on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 11:23:32 »
One on my Cherry MX Blue switches suddenly stopped clicking properly. It will click the first time I press it, but it will give a very mushy feel/click, and if I keep pressing it quickly, the clicking will completely stop and start feeling like a Brown switch, completely with no click.

I didn't spill water nor any other liquid on it. This is a quite new keyboard, I've only had it for less than 2 weeks.

Does anyone know what could've caused this? I probably has just started now since I didn't notice it before, even though it's one a key I don't press that often (the ; : key).

Is there ANYTHING I can try that's not replacing the switch? It's on my KBT Oni, which is plate mounted and I have zero soldering skills.

Thanks.

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
Re: One Cherry MX Blue switch suddenly stopped clicking
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 11:28:10 »
Oops - plate mount. Well, you would need to take apart the switch to see what's up.

Offline bardomudo

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 11:40:03 »
Oops - plate mount. Well, you would need to take apart the switch to see what's up.

Is that easy? I saw a video on youtube from litster doing it, but it wasn't exactly completely educational. Is there any detailed guide on how to do this? Should I bother?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 11:41:52 »
I don't think the KBT Oni has a Phantom style plate, so you'd need to desolder the switch and remove it from the board and then disassemble it.

Or you could just try a can of compressed air, take the key cap off, depress the switch, stick the nozzle in  that space and blow.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline bardomudo

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 11:59:18 »
I don't think the KBT Oni has a Phantom style plate, so you'd need to desolder the switch and remove it from the board and then disassemble it.

Or you could just try a can of compressed air, take the key cap off, depress the switch, stick the nozzle in  that space and blow.

Yeah, no luck with the compressed air. I think something is wrong with the switch itself. To be honest, I do have some experience with soldering, I'm just not every good at it. Anyway, I think I'll just buy a solder sucker and change positions with another unused switch, like the Scroll Lock one.

Offline bardomudo

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 18:17:30 »
Does anyone know where I can buy switches for cheaper than what WASD charges?

$1.75 is quite expensive for a single switch, and I'd like to get a few spare ones for my other boards as well.

Offline nullstring

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 18:24:20 »

$1.75 is quite expensive for a single switch, and I'd like to get a few spare ones for my other boards as well.
Put something up in the classifieds and see if someone is willing to help you out.

Offline bardomudo

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 18:30:33 »

Put something up in the classifieds and see if someone is willing to help you out.

Not enough posts to post there :(

Offline daniel0731ex

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 20:33:49 »
Put a drop of mineral spirit in it. It fixed mine.
"I hated the Blackwidow. Hated, hated, hated, hated, hated the Blackwidow. Hated it. Hated every cheapening feeble useless user-insulting gimmicks of it. Hated the keycap font that thought anyone would like it. Hated the marketing pretense to the keyboard by its belief that anyone would be impressed by it."

Roger Exbert - The Number One Keyboard Critic On The Planet.

Offline bardomudo

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 22:32:38 »

Hey, thanks a lot for the suggestion. I guess it can't get worse, so I'll definitely try this. The other choice is to completely replace the switch, so it even doesn't matter if I screw it further.

I just gotta figure out now how this is called/sold as in my country  :D

EDIT: Found it. It just goes by the translated name of turpentine, and it also seems to be very similar to common paint thinner.

I can just drop inside the pressed down switch, right? How long do I have to wait after doing it to turn on the keyboard? I'm afraid if the liquid touches the PCB it could cause a short circuit or other sort of damage.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 December 2012, 22:48:07 by bardomudo »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 23:21:20 »
Does the switch click at all?  What if you try pressing it from different angles?  Or press each corner of the switch, not just pressing straight down on the middle of the switch?

I have an MX blue switch that only clicks if I press the top right corner - anything else and the key registers, it just doesn't click.

As long as the key actually registers there is no need to panic.  Just take your time solving it - you don't want to make things worse.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bardomudo

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 23:35:35 »
Does the switch click at all?  What if you try pressing it from different angles?  Or press each corner of the switch, not just pressing straight down on the middle of the switch?

I have an MX blue switch that only clicks if I press the top right corner - anything else and the key registers, it just doesn't click.

As long as the key actually registers there is no need to panic.  Just take your time solving it - you don't want to make things worse.

It sorta clicks. If I press it just once and very quickly, it will click almost as it's supposed to (it will be slightly mushy compared to the others). But if I press it a second time, something like less than 10 seconds after pressing it the first time, the clicking will be gone and it will feel like a brown switch. It's almost as if pressing it once will deactivate the clickyness for a minute or so.

The key registers just fine, though. It's weird.

It's kinda disappointing to see this kind of problem, even though it's small. I sorta expected mechanical keyboards to last a very long time, but somehow Cherry MX switches seem so fragile, specially more complicated ones like Blues and Whites.

Do you think using the mineral spirit represents some risk?

EDIT: words.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 December 2012, 23:57:54 by bardomudo »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 23:45:30 »
Possibly.  Not everyone recommends pouring (or even dribbling) chemicals into a keyboard.

The blue switch clicks by way of a small white plastic thingy that, as the key reaches the activation point, is suddenly forced downwards, and as it strikes the base of the switch housing causes the click.  Possibly yours is getting stuck in the down position.  Although I would not have expected that anything large enough to affect the travel of the interior switch components would have been able to get into a sealed switch.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline daniel0731ex

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 20:53:14 »

Hey, thanks a lot for the suggestion. I guess it can't get worse, so I'll definitely try this. The other choice is to completely replace the switch, so it even doesn't matter if I screw it further.

I just gotta figure out now how this is called/sold as in my country  :D

EDIT: Found it. It just goes by the translated name of turpentine, and it also seems to be very similar to common paint thinner.

I can just drop inside the pressed down switch, right? How long do I have to wait after doing it to turn on the keyboard? I'm afraid if the liquid touches the PCB it could cause a short circuit or other sort of damage.

I actually used Zippo myself, but you can use any volatile kerosene derivatives. Just don't use acetone (paint thinner) or WD40.

« Last Edit: Sun, 16 December 2012, 21:11:58 by daniel0731ex »
"I hated the Blackwidow. Hated, hated, hated, hated, hated the Blackwidow. Hated it. Hated every cheapening feeble useless user-insulting gimmicks of it. Hated the keycap font that thought anyone would like it. Hated the marketing pretense to the keyboard by its belief that anyone would be impressed by it."

Roger Exbert - The Number One Keyboard Critic On The Planet.