Author Topic: Questionable brian_oneil auction?  (Read 2817 times)

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
Questionable brian_oneil auction?
« on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 23:17:33 »
I stumbled across this auction and found the description a little unsettling.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=140326063060
I believe the cord is an AT cord, you can see it in the second picture.

I'm pretty sure he knows this board is XT and unusable with a modern PC. Of course the way he stated it in the auction gives him plausible deniability for sure.

When I bought one for $15 shipped, it was no big deal to find out the XT truth. I feel bad for the person who buys one of his two 0123s for $40 + expensive shipping. I've only read and seen great things from this seller, so take my criticism with a grain of salt. The sheer fact that it's an 0123 from 1997 may actually make it desirable regardless.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 23:25:36 »
Could be a terminal keyboard. Note the odd key names and the DIP switches near the bottom label. Also the right-angled connector - isn''t that odd too?

I don't think they were still making XT keyboards in 97, though it is possible the label has been switched.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 23:36:03 »
It screams XT for all of those reasons, and imo brian should have learned this by now.

'97 is just plain weird for this board though; perhaps someone can swoop in and clear up the issue.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 23:46:25 »
It could be a parts job-- top case of a silver-logo, bottom and guts of a 1997 mainframe board.

However, I'd expect it might be able to be board-swapped with a 1391401.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 23:54:52 »
However, I'd expect it might be able to be board-swapped with a 1391401.
I plan on trying this with mine, probably in Dec.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 13:17:24 »
Terminal keyboard for sure. The AT connectors look similar to some of the connectors IBM used for terminals. I might send him a message about it.

EDIT: Yeah, the connector wasnt an AT connector, it was a Terminal one. I sent him a message warning him that it may not be PC compatible.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 June 2009, 13:23:38 by ch_123 »

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 13:58:25 »
I have one of these, for the sole purpose of seeing people talking about it, while secretly knowing all the answers
You're unwilling to discuss something because...you have emotional issues?

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 14:17:51 »
But the answer has already been given by Sandy elsewhere.
Yesterday she stated that it's not XT but that's the only info online, to the best of my searching.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 15:00:42 »
Here.
As I said, that's the only info online about this board. The only definitive info at least, one of my early threads at geekhack involved speculating as to whether the 0123 was AT, XT, or a terminal connector.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 June 2009, 15:11:48 by nowsharing »

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 15:26:40 »
My google searching revealed that it was AT, but as another geekhacker pointed out, that is not the case.
AT here probably just refers to the fact that the keyboard plug is a 5 pin DIN (from the vendor's perspective, never mind that the pins are different...), from years later when AT and PS/2 just came to mean the plug on the end of the cable, the keyboard itself assumed to be PC compatible. Calling the type 5170 PC/AT a terminal doesn't really make any sense.

There's nothing to get, I was simply pointing out that a seller seemed to be trying to pull one over on his buyers. I may be wrong, but he is an experienced seller. You seem to be one of his loyal customers?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 17:41:05 »
Quote from: webwit;98136
If you collect rare keyboards, you're responsible for your own research, and you must be prepared to receive the occasional turkey, with a smile on your face.

QFT of anything vintage and collectible or rare, and especially true if you're buying it off eBay.