Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 649985 times)

Offline rabbitfire

Re: Car Thread
« Reply #2500 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 04:13:43 »

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #2501 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 05:44:01 »
What happened katushkin?
pls gief bbv2

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2502 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 16:09:22 »
What happened katushkin?

Pretty much standstill traffic on the motorway (freeway). I was in the left hand lane waiting to turn off, and there was an on ramp from a services just before the exit ramp. Driving at about 5 mph, a big articulated lorry tried to get onto the motorway. He was a Romanian driver in a Slovakian lorry, so his steering wheel was on the other side, increasing his blind spot. Basically he didn't see me. He saw the car behind and in front of me but just didn't see me. He went side on in to me, denting the door and scraping down the side of my arch, only stopping after I held my hand on the horn.

Didn't do all that much damage, but it's not what I needed lol.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2503 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 16:21:53 »
Also, I got this for Christmas. I'm in love.

Offline WhiteHelix

• KurantRubys Techblog
« Reply #2504 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 09:39:18 »
So i ditched my Subaru plans some time ago and was thinkig of a MK7 GTI. That changed now as well, I think the GTI would be a bit too small (even when I still don't want to hear that). So the current favourite is the Skoda Octavia RS, im pretty sure that we will get one next year. Its just not so easy to find a TSI one with DSG and a bit of features I want. It even gets harder if you look for one in that sexy grey...

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #2505 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 13:51:35 »
So i ditched my Subaru plans some time ago and was thinkig of a MK7 GTI. That changed now as well, I think the GTI would be a bit too small (even when I still don't want to hear that). So the current favourite is the Skoda Octavia RS, im pretty sure that we will get one next year. Its just not so easy to find a TSI one with DSG and a bit of features I want. It even gets harder if you look for one in that sexy grey...

Seat Leon (ST) FR? They have a 150bhp TSI DSG. Or maybe even the Cupra?
pls gief bbv2

Offline WhiteHelix

• KurantRubys Techblog
« Reply #2506 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 14:01:20 »
I'm not a big Seat fan and I hate the wagon versions of the Seat and the Golf.

Gesendet von meinem D6603 mit Tapatalk

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #2507 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 16:30:51 »
Also, I got this for Christmas. I'm in love.

Show Image

Show Image

Looks awesome, now let's see it installed!

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2508 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 03:16:00 »

I was going to get one of those in 2018  :-X The wagon version is really nice looking, and they are launching a facelift version in the new year. The dark grey too?

With the push for diesels it's super hard to find a petrol one over here as well, I might just buy a brand new one...

Offline WhiteHelix

• KurantRubys Techblog
« Reply #2509 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 03:18:09 »
The light Grey, it's called Stahlgrau in germany. I'm not sure what to think of the face lift at the moment, also my dealer told me he doesn't know when the RS will be released. Apart from that, a new one would probably be too pricey.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2510 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 05:20:24 »
The light Grey, it's called Stahlgrau in germany. I'm not sure what to think of the face lift at the moment, also my dealer told me he doesn't know when the RS will be released. Apart from that, a new one would probably be too pricey.

Ahhh OK, I was going to get one in the dark grey metallic (Quartz Grey metallic). I think the light grey is Meteor Grey over here, I think I'm right that Stahlgrau translates to Steel Grey in English. Weird they would call them opposite names.

This is Meteor Grey

Yeah, I think you can get one with about £5000 down and then just under £300 a month with 0% finance which is pretty good. It's either that or I spend £5k on a ****ty older car which I don't really want to have to do...

Offline WhiteHelix

• KurantRubys Techblog
« Reply #2511 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 05:23:19 »
That's the color i was talking about, and yes, your translation was correct ;)
I won't buy mine cash also, but you can get a decent used one for about 18-20k€. I just hope that will drop a bit when the facelift is out.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2512 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 08:24:47 »
Yeah, here's hoping they do some good deals. I'm thinking if I set myself this target then I will stick to it and actually get my life sorted to get into a situation where I can afford to get one.

Offline dante

« Reply #2513 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 11:16:45 »
Skoda is considering entering the US market.  I hope they do as the current VW lineup is bland.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2514 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 11:27:39 »
Skoda is considering entering the US market.  I hope they do as the current VW lineup is bland.

TBF the Octavia VRS is just a Golf GTI. Like, it's actually on a Golf chassis. The Mk7 Golf is getting a facelift next year though, I think the new Toureg R is awesome looking though.

The Octavia and Superb are really nice cars though I think. The Superb has a huge amount of room and is insanely cheap for what it is. And the Octavia VRS wagon is a cheap man's C63 AMG/Cadillac CTS/V

Offline dante

« Reply #2515 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 13:10:38 »
For myself I'd like to see a Yeti RS/VRS.  Kia just released a turbo for the Soul so it's not too unrealistic.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2516 on: Sun, 01 January 2017, 03:26:04 »
For myself I'd like to see a Yeti RS/VRS.  Kia just released a turbo for the Soul so it's not too unrealistic.

That would be pretty hilarious. I mean, they have a Toureg R line so I agree, it's not unfeasible.

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #2517 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 11:36:04 »
Hi guys, I'm a big car / bike fan too. I've had a few interesting cars including a couple VW's, couple Japanese imports, then a series of 'normal' company cars. My current car is an F56 MINI Cooper S:

And my current bike is a Triumph Daytona 675R:

I have the MINI until October, at which point I'll probably swap it for a cheaper company car to save some 'house fund' money lol. The bike stays though :D

My realistic / attainable dream car is an aircooled Porsche 911, probably a 964 in red with RS parts:

KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #2518 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 13:52:35 »
My realistic / attainable dream car is an aircooled Porsche 911, probably a 964 in red with RS parts:

Show Image

My mid-life crisis car as well.

And holy ****, beautiful bike. I've been thinking about getting my license as well. Would love to drive a bike, but my mom and wife would kill me...
pls gief bbv2

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #2519 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 16:53:40 »

And holy ****, beautiful bike. I've been thinking about getting my license as well. Would love to drive a bike, but my mom and wife would kill me...

Mid-life? I'm 26  :))

I love 911s though, especially older models, beautiful cars.

Thanks for the comment too, you should absolutely try it if you have the urge - not much more fun than riding  :cool:

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2520 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 22:06:15 »
Man that's a nice bike...

Offline Suembeaux

« Reply #2521 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 22:13:17 »
Hi guys, I'm a big car / bike fan too. I've had a few interesting cars including a couple VW's, couple Japanese imports, then a series of 'normal' company cars. My current car is an F56 MINI Cooper S:

I always admire Minis. I don't understand why so many people talk trash about them, they're a hoot and a half. Big VW fan right here. An updated picture of my one and only.

I have a good friend with a 964 911. We actually came from the same VW, he just happens to have a bit more $$ than me. They are sweet cars!
A bunch of stuff. Someone teach me how to properly solder.

/u/Shartastical

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2522 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 22:55:53 »

I always admire Minis. I don't understand why so many people talk trash about them, they're a hoot and a half. Big VW fan right here. An updated picture of my one and only.

Show Image

I have a good friend with a 964 911. We actually came from the same VW, he just happens to have a bit more $$ than me. They are sweet cars!

That's a lovely Mk6 you've got there!

You're friend is still a VW fan, he's basically driving a fast Beetle ;)

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #2523 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 01:16:58 »

Ooh lovely Mk6! Yeah I came from the VW scene, used to attend a lot of shows and meets, there are a few stunning 964s in the UK scene that come to the shows.. one can dream I suppose, with the current market prices they're just slipping out of reach.

Yeah the Mini has been a great little car, really fun to drive, well equipped, reliable. I think they get hate because of people associating them with the original Mini and not liking how much they've changed / grown, which I can understand but then they are totally different cars, 'Mini' is just a brand nowadays.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2524 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 02:02:06 »
Hey.

I know this is a bit out of place but I don't have any friends that know about cars and well - I've become too used to y'all advice on stuff in general. :D

Just wanted to ask - I've been driving a two-door Toyota Corolla Hatchback (2004) for a bit under a year. It's a good car, serves me well and it's super easy to repair and cheap if you need to drive to the service too. And the mileage is quite small too. When I got it it had ~84K km (my grandma owned it before for about 8 years and drove roughly 30km a week, held it in a warm garage and got fully serviced yearly) and I've up to almost 100K in a year. :D

But I've decided that I want something a bit newer and preferably with 4 doors. Not really a need for sedan or vagon but a bit more space in the trunk would be a plus. And this car is worth ~3000 € and probably will be used as my main funds for a new one.

Requirements:
- Good fuel consumption (Now it's ~7.8l/100km)
- 4 doors (when I get a kid)
- Okay-ish repairs (don't want to go to service just because my headlights needs a bulb change)
- Probably will be used (just don't offer new ones unless there's under ~6K)

Thanks and will be waiting on what you can suggest. This is not a quick decision by any means, I just need a place to start and I'm not really a car person.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline WhiteHelix

• KurantRubys Techblog
« Reply #2525 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 06:29:15 »
I would say the classics like a Golf, or maybe an Octavia.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2526 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 08:06:23 »
Ooh lovely Mk6! Yeah I came from the VW scene, used to attend a lot of shows and meets, there are a few stunning 964s in the UK scene that come to the shows.. one can dream I suppose, with the current market prices they're just slipping out of reach.

Yeah the Mini has been a great little car, really fun to drive, well equipped, reliable. I think they get hate because of people associating them with the original Mini and not liking how much they've changed / grown, which I can understand but then they are totally different cars, 'Mini' is just a brand nowadays.

What shows are you going to this year? I'm  hoping to go to Ultimate Dubs, Fitted UK and MK2 Golf Owners Club at least.

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #2527 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 08:28:14 »
Quote from: katushkin link=topic=66590.msg2336773#msg2336773
What shows are you going to this year? I'm  hoping to go to Ultimate Dubs, Fitted UK and MK2 Golf Owners Club at least.

Only just noticed you're from Birmingham, UK - I'm from Walsall just down the road.

To be honest I haven't been to any car shows in a few years.. We used to convoy to them and camp the weekend at Edition38 and the like, but I just lost interest in the scene.

I'm on and off the Pistonheads forums though, and they organise Sunday Service meets at different locations each month, so whenever they're close enough I try to make it there. We've had 2 at Silverstone with use of the track; 1 at Santa Pod with use of the strip, and 1 at Bruntingthorpe.

They're a great little event, especially when there's some action going on. I only spectated at Silverstone but I took my Mini up the strip at Santa Pod 4 or 5 times. All sorts of cars there from old 911s to new 918s.

Apart from that I try to make one big event each year. Last year I was in Japan for 3 weeks so went to the F1 at Suzuka, the year before that I took my bike over to the Isle of Man TT.

Hoping to do Goodwood FoS this year :)

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #2528 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 04:27:12 »

Mid-life? I'm 26  :))

I love 911s though, especially older models, beautiful cars.

Thanks for the comment too, you should absolutely try it if you have the urge - not much more fun than riding  :cool:

29 here, I shouldn't have assumed "as-well" ;) Speaking for myself, there's no chance I think that I'm able to buy a car like that within the next 15 years.
pls gief bbv2

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #2529 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 05:05:17 »

29 here, I shouldn't have assumed "as-well" ;) Speaking for myself, there's no chance I think that I'm able to buy a car like that within the next 15 years.

Not with the way Porsche prices are rising.. Doesn't seem to be any stopping them unfortunately. 7-8 years ago a 964 could be had for £15k,, the same car today will be up for 3x that amount, it's crazy

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2530 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 17:17:58 »
Quote from: katushkin link=topic=66590.msg2336773#msg2336773

Only just noticed you're from Birmingham, UK - I'm from Walsall just down the road.

To be honest I haven't been to any car shows in a few years.. We used to convoy to them and camp the weekend at Edition38 and the like, but I just lost interest in the scene.

I'm on and off the Pistonheads forums though, and they organise Sunday Service meets at different locations each month, so whenever they're close enough I try to make it there. We've had 2 at Silverstone with use of the track; 1 at Santa Pod with use of the strip, and 1 at Bruntingthorpe.

They're a great little event, especially when there's some action going on. I only spectated at Silverstone but I took my Mini up the strip at Santa Pod 4 or 5 times. All sorts of cars there from old 911s to new 918s.

Apart from that I try to make one big event each year. Last year I was in Japan for 3 weeks so went to the F1 at Suzuka, the year before that I took my bike over to the Isle of Man TT.

Hoping to do Goodwood FoS this year :)

Sorry for your loss ;)

I will have to sign up there, I need to see more car people than just twice or so a year. I quite like going to the bigger shows and just avoiding the people though, so I tend to stay off car focused forums. Even car subreddits are full of ****s.

The Mk2 Owners Club is being held up at Curborough Sprint Circuit just outside Lichfield this year, you should come! On the Sunday we have show and shine and loads of other people come down, it's a pretty good laugh tbh.

**** dude, I'm so jealous of you being at Suzuka. That's one of my favourite GPs. Although I still can't really get my head around going to a track to watch a race. The festival of speed would be amazing though.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2531 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 04:42:30 »
I can insure a BMW 850Ci for only £1000 a year

I don't think i'm going to get a Skoda anymore...

Oh boy...
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 February 2017, 06:26:28 by katushkin »

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #2532 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 10:37:32 »
Epicly cool cars

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2533 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 10:50:30 »
Epicly cool cars

RIGHT???

I mean, I would have to then have three cars but it would be worth it... They look epic lowered...

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #2534 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 10:57:07 »
Those 850's are seriously beautiful cars! Especially when lowered a bit.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #2535 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 11:04:32 »

Show Image

Oh boy...

Love those headlights  :thumb:
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #2536 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 14:46:09 »
Epicly cool cars

RIGHT???

I mean, I would have to then have three cars but it would be worth it... They look epic lowered...

I saw a pale yellow one on the M54 a few months ago, looked really clean. I think the proportions make it look large in photos but in the metal it's not that big compared to todays cars. I'd have one for sure, I'd just be scared of potential repair bills lol

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #2537 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 08:22:00 »
I can't remember if I ever posted the newest addition to my 'fleet' (which is now, um, 5), but it was featured in the RockAuto newsletter last month:

http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/archives/2-16-17.html
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #2538 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 13:31:44 »

Show Image

Oh boy...

Stick with the 840.  The 12 cyl. maintenance can be insanely expensive.  Also, mpg on the V12 can be in the 9's. 

Found this in the Bimmer forum:
"Try to order a back issue from Bimmer magazine that covered the 8 series Buyers Guide edition. Just be prepared to have $5K in handy AFTER making the purchase to do maintenance and service if you buy a 8 series w/o service records. At 100K miles, I would do a full tune up (parts alone will be about $1K for the V-12), full coolant overhaul, change out all fluids, etc... For a pre-purchase inspection, have your indy mechanic go over the whole car and check the batteries (thats right, batteries as in two in the trunk) to make sure they are getting the full charge from the alternator. One battery powers all the gizmo's while the other just starts up the car. You will have electrical nightmares if the batteries aren't going at full capacity. Make sure the suspension components are in good shape. Do you want the 6-speed or the automatic? The ultimate 8 would be the 94-95 850csi (6-speed) but they command at least $40K. You can get an 91-92 850i that had the 6-speed but at that age (approaching 16-17 years old) you can expect problems to arise unless service records are available. The pop up headlight motors also go. BMW has a 15 yr warranty on the these motors so if you score a 94 or newer you should be fine. The automatics need to be serviced every 30K with fresh fluid and filter. If you buy a high mileage automatic with no service records... :( "

Also:

As good looking as the E31 is, I love the E24:
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2539 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 20:13:54 »
Yeah, you're right. It's probably a really bad idea. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to do it. It would just be nice to have one. I like the older BMWs a lot, the good ones though are understandably shooting up in value, and if you want anything older than 20 years old with an M badge on, good ****ing luck.

I can't remember if I ever posted the newest addition to my 'fleet' (which is now, um, 5), but it was featured in the RockAuto newsletter last month:

Man, that is such an awesome rock of a car. I love an old Town Car. It took you five months to get it serviceable?

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #2540 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 21:01:05 »

That's awesome! Rock Auto really is an amazing resource for all of us DIYers.

Do your have any pictures of your fleet?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2541 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 22:14:44 »
i gotta get my license

my plan is to buy a cheap reliable japanese car for school for now, but when i graduate i'm gonna buy a big 90s german car
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dante

« Reply #2542 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 12:31:55 »
Mind you I've never sat in one of these but this was the only BMW to get my attention:

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #2543 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 12:45:03 »

Man, that is such an awesome rock of a car. I love an old Town Car. It took you five months to get it serviceable?

Well, it was a little bit of this, little bit of that...if I were at all efficient or sensible it would have been done in a couple weeks. The list I noted as I did things is as follows. Note this car barely ran when I 2-footed it to get it home and it puked out all its coolant along the way.

Starter, oil and filter, rad hoses, water pump, cluster bulbs, O2 sensor, remove remote starter cluster**** wiring, intake manifold gaskets, coolant temp sensor, intake air temp sensor, valve cover gaskets, fuel filter, checked compression (flawless), lube steering/suspension, differential oil, PCV valve, set base timing, cap/rotor/plugs/wires, ignition coil, choke pull-off diaphragm, fix automatic climate control, trans filter + full fluid change, battery terminals, flush coolant, replace radiator, correct cold idle and base idle settings, repack front bearings, replace driver wiper arm, replace fuel pump and strainer, replace timing chain and gears, power steering flush/refill, seafoam, fix 700 million vacuum leaks, power window gears, parking brake cables, replace rear wheel cylinders and adjust rear brakes, brake fluid, replace headlamps, replace driver side mirror (glass hazed from defrost feature), replace air injection tubes (exhaust leak), hood struts, windshield washer sprayer, repair rear quarter panels (rusted through), alternator, distributor pickup and more...

And that doesn't even brush up on the wiring harness, ignition and general electrical system problems I had to work out even after all of that.

That's awesome! Rock Auto really is an amazing resource for all of us DIYers.

Do your have any pictures of your fleet?

That I do. Posted in order of acquisition (I have all of them currently and they all serve a purpose, of some kind):

91 Grand Marquis (sequential multiport injected 5.0, 4-speed auto, brake upgrades and sequential turn signal mod)

83 Grand Marquis 2-door (2bbl carb 5.0, 4-speed auto, sequential turn signal mod)

85 Ranger (1bbl carb 2.0, 5-speed manual, mildly stickerbombed)

97 Crown Vic (SOHC NPI 4.6, 4-speed auto, parts car for future projects with the older Panthers)

84 Town Car (CFI/TBI 5.0, 4-speed auto)

« Last Edit: Fri, 10 March 2017, 12:51:04 by kishy »
kishy.ca

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2544 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 07:32:41 »
First off: Where do you keep them all? And secondly, what is a sequential turn signal mod?

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #2545 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 07:51:32 »
He's from Canadia, his driveway is probably bigger than my street  :))

Just getting my bike back on the road for summer now that the weather's picked up, ready for some nice rides over to Wales  :cool:

Also planning what to do when my MINI goes back in October/November.. Right now I'm really craving a classic Mini Cooper, assuming I can fit in one  :))

Offline subcat

« Reply #2546 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 07:56:50 »
And secondly, what is a sequential turn signal mod?

I know the new Q7s have these stock. Pretty cool.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #2547 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 09:19:42 »
First off: Where do you keep them all? And secondly, what is a sequential turn signal mod?

He's from Canadia, his driveway is probably bigger than my street  :))

I have a 2 car garage and a driveway that can fit approximately 8 cars (property built 1940s and until the 60s it was a rural area). With the green one it's a tight squeeze because currently it isn't mobile. I'm looking to part it out this summer so I can scrap the body and frame and reclaim some of my driveway space.

It's a little complicated because it will no longer be able to roll when I'm done with it (removing rear axle and entirety of the front suspension). If I can find a towing company that can pick it up in that condition I'll be good, otherwise I'll have to explore options for cutting it up and taking it in pieces as scrap.

And yes, subcat got it. Those cars have combined brake and turn lamps (a uniquely North American thing, I believe). Each tail lamp housing has 3 'segments'. Normally, only the outer two on each side illuminate for brake/turn signal and parking lamp functions (dual filament bulbs), while the innermost one on each side only illuminates as a parking lamp/tail lamp (single filament bulb). The mod involves buying a module (typically used to retrofit older Mustangs), and installing a dual filament bulb socket, wiring up appropriately and it's good to go.

« Last Edit: Mon, 13 March 2017, 09:39:15 by kishy »
kishy.ca

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #2548 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 09:25:54 »
I'm sure I read something about the new Mustangs that came over to the UK / Europe weren't able to have the sequential lights like the North American models, which is weird because we have Audis with them..

Either way cool collection man

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #2549 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 09:43:59 »
If I were to take a guess, it's probably because the Audis can be configured to have separate brake and turn lamps AND still have the sequencing feature. I doubt the sequencing is the problem, it's more likely the issue is because on a Mustang the brake and turn lamps are combined.

I've seen 'export market' Mustangs; the third brake light segment is amber and flashes as a turn signal instead of lighting up with the brakes.

Thanks, it's definitely unique.
kishy.ca