Author Topic: Help deciding what to buy  (Read 3248 times)

Offline AbsoluteZeroD

Help deciding what to buy
« on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 10:01:00 »
Hey. I'm new around these parts. So, I'm 18 and I've been gaming my whole life; Using a terrible Dell keyboard, and my trusty R.A.T. 5. The latter of which is sadly coming to the end of it's life.

So I'm looking to buy a new matching keyboard and mouse. I started doing some research, as this is the first time I'm making a real investment into a keyboard. I've been reading up on switches and the like, however I feel like there is a lot out there and trying to make an educated purchase is going to be difficult for a noobie like me. This is where you lovely chaps come in. Could you suggest some keyboards for me and perhaps answer some questions I may have?

"AbsoluteZeroD, you can't possibly ask us to help you without knowing more about your preferences, what you play, and what you will be doing with the keyboard?!"

I hear you loud and clear GH community, so here's a bit of background:

I mainly play MOBA's, League Of Legends to be precise. I am also a student of abnormal psychology and will be writing my fair share of essays with this keyboard. Other genres I enjoy include Action, Driving and FPS. I do not play MMO's (not extensively at least)

I live in the United Kingdom and use the standard UK QWERTY layout. Living in the UK, it's never normally hard to acquire things online. But if there are places that won't ship to me, so be it.

I've done my research on switches. Haven't got around to trying any out yet, but from what I've read it sounds like Cherry MX Blue may suit my needs best. I will definitely give them all a feel before I make up my mind on this one.

Space is a constraint. Whilst I am unwilling to say goodbye to my numpad, I am looking to save space in other ways. I also make trips to the Multiplay Insomnia LANs. So I will be travelling with it.

I'm also very proud of the aesthetics of my set up. From the framed comics on the wall, to the blue LED's that shine out of the clear perspex side of my PC case. Aesthetics are important here. Ideally customisation options where it comes to backlights, keycap color and such. To help you out here, I'll link a few images of keyboard I like visually below:

Corsair K90 - I was almost settled on a purchase for this one. But the excess of macro keys are of no use to me.

SteelSeries Apex - I light the back lighting on this. However the shape and, once again, macro keys are a no go

Ducky Shine2 Special - Something like this looks really nice (Obviously, a colour other than pink for the keys)

As far as budget goes. I'm getting paid in two weeks today, and I'm looking to lay down about £170 for both the mouse and keyboard, if we say around £60 for the mouse this leaves with around £110 for they keyboard. I have quit a bit of leeway here though.

This was all I was able to think of for now. Any other questions, just ask. But remember, I'm new, so please be nice!
I'm also mediocre at forum formatting. If it's difficult to read, let me know and I'll try to make some adjustments.

EDIT: I added a bit about my location and layout. Also my budget
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2013, 10:09:02 by AbsoluteZeroD »

Offline Linkbane

Re: Help deciding what to buy
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 10:49:35 »
As far as matching, Corsair makes really solid gaming mice, I'm using their M95 and it's perfect in weight. It also has plenty of easily-accessible macros/dps profiles, which is nice. It was $75 for mine, so probably a bit under 50 pounds?
Also, Corsair makes the K70 keyboard which is sans-macros, comes in gunmetal/brushed aluminum, and more importantly, multiple switches.
But in terms of size, if you want something backlit and small, the Shine 3 TKL that just came out is perfect. All the backlighting options of the Shine 2 and more in a smaller size. It's under 85 pounds, I believe.

I play League mainly as well, and because there really is not any double tapping that I can think of and you do lots of typing, I would recommend Blue switches. Brown is a better compromise, more smooth of a bump than Blues and quieter.

By the way, the APEX is pretty cool, but remember that it doesn't have mechanical switches! The multi-light boards are almost never available on mechanicals, because there is a drilled slot for an LED in each individual switch which, unless some wizardry occured, would not be able to change colors.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 10:54:25 »
Maybe the quickfire tk will be good for you.

Offline AbsoluteZeroD

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 11:22:05 »
As far as matching, Corsair makes really solid gaming mice, I'm using their M95 and it's perfect in weight. It also has plenty of easily-accessible macros/dps profiles, which is nice. It was $75 for mine, so probably a bit under 50 pounds?
Also, Corsair makes the K70 keyboard which is sans-macros, comes in gunmetal/brushed aluminum, and more importantly, multiple switches.
But in terms of size, if you want something backlit and small, the Shine 3 TKL that just came out is perfect. All the backlighting options of the Shine 2 and more in a smaller size. It's under 85 pounds, I believe.

I play League mainly as well, and because there really is not any double tapping that I can think of and you do lots of typing, I would recommend Blue switches. Brown is a better compromise, more smooth of a bump than Blues and quieter.

By the way, the APEX is pretty cool, but remember that it doesn't have mechanical switches! The multi-light boards are almost never available on mechanicals, because there is a drilled slot for an LED in each individual switch which, unless some wizardry occured, would not be able to change colors.

Thanks for a fairly comprehensive reply. The Shine range looks simply wonderful and I think that might be the way to go. I've been looking around here a little and seen some really beautiful shine keyboards, which I'm guessing are custom jobs. Slightly off topic, but how would one go about obtaining a custom build. I've looked at the group buy sub forum, and seen lots of confusing technical terms and it's all a little overwhelming.

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 14:15:58 »
I am guessing I might be a bit late coming into this sort of thread. I read what you wanted and you have also shown some examples of what nice gaming keyboards should more or less be. I personally have not tried all that much gaming on my mechanical keyboard all that much (besides I'm on a completely different platform anyway  :)) )

The keyboard that I am about to suggest may not be deemed suitable to your liking (I read that you are particularly fond of interchangeable LED lights). Although recently I stumbled upon a gaming keyboard which I thought was quite cool. The keyboard itself has 512kb of memory (which supposedly stores up to 10 profiles and unlimited on-the-fly macros and all), Cherry MX blues (which one can choose to go full loud or more silent, and that can be done whenever you want, it is set as silenced by default from the manufacturer) and the keyboard has around 13 or so more extra keys compared to a standard keyboard (yes just your average £5 (or less) keyboard). Also the palm rest doubles as the keyboard roof (albeit it doesn't cover the six extra keys on the bottom, bit of a shame). There's plenty more features with this keyboard so I won't go into talking about them here as that will probably sound like I am more of a salesman. Besides I don't have that keyboard anyway.  :p

The only real downsides imo is that it has only red coloured backlighting (for the keys only) and that adjusting the brightness levels only turns either more red or less red. In other words there's no alternative LED colours available. Apart from that I thought the keyboard seems to be well thought out, there's loads of leeways to satisfy most gamers and the price in GBP is around what your budget for just a keyboard to be.

Anyway I'll leave you with three links:
The keyboard specifications from the manufacturer itself.
Amazon.co.uk selling the actual keyboard. (There are a few more other sellers based in the U.K.)
The keyboard review. (Youtube link)
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline AbsoluteZeroD

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 18:11:26 »

I am guessing I might be a bit late coming into this sort of thread. I read what you wanted and you have also shown some examples of what nice gaming keyboards should more or less be. I personally have not tried all that much gaming on my mechanical keyboard all that much (besides I'm on a completely different platform anyway  :)) )

The keyboard that I am about to suggest may not be deemed suitable to your liking (I read that you are particularly fond of interchangeable LED lights). Although recently I stumbled upon a gaming keyboard which I thought was quite cool. The keyboard itself has 512kb of memory (which supposedly stores up to 10 profiles and unlimited on-the-fly macros and all), Cherry MX blues (which one can choose to go full loud or more silent, and that can be done whenever you want, it is set as silenced by default from the manufacturer) and the keyboard has around 13 or so more extra keys compared to a standard keyboard (yes just your average £5 (or less) keyboard). Also the palm rest doubles as the keyboard roof (albeit it doesn't cover the six extra keys on the bottom, bit of a shame). There's plenty more features with this keyboard so I won't go into talking about them here as that will probably sound like I am more of a salesman. Besides I don't have that keyboard anyway.  :p

The only real downsides imo is that it has only red coloured backlighting (for the keys only) and that adjusting the brightness levels only turns either more red or less red. In other words there's no alternative LED colours available. Apart from that I thought the keyboard seems to be well thought out, there's loads of leeways to satisfy most gamers and the price in GBP is around what your budget for just a keyboard to be.

Show Image

Amazon.co.uk selling the actual keyboard. (There are a few more other sellers based in the U.K.)

You are not too late at all. I won't be making my purchase until the 25th of this month (PAYDAY :D). It seems that my fondness of different coloured LED's will have to be left out. As another user has informed me that it is not possible to have such lighting on a mechanical keyboard. I'll probably be settling for red or orange, depending on availability.

The keyboard you've shown me looks nice, but it doesn't really appeal to me. Unfortunately I've got my heart set on a Ducky Shine now. I appreciate your input though. Thank you!

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 22:31:51 »

Show Image

You are not too late at all. I won't be making my purchase until the 25th of this month (PAYDAY :D ). It seems that my fondness of different coloured LED's will have to be left out. As another user has informed me that it is not possible to have such lighting on a mechanical keyboard. I'll probably be settling for red or orange, depending on availability.

The keyboard you've shown me looks nice, but it doesn't really appeal to me. Unfortunately I've got my heart set on a Ducky Shine now. I appreciate your input though. Thank you!

Haha looks like I wasn't late then. Though I thought one can still resolder the LED to their likings, of course you can't have multi coloured LEDs and change them on the fly but having said so one can still customise the LED colours to their taste. Which of course I guess requires soldering/resoldering, etc.  :o

*nod* no offense taken. Ducky is definitely a formidable brand and it would also appear that there are a fair few Ducky users as well on this forum to boot. Enjoy your purchase!
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 00:51:51 »
Enjoy your Shine! I'm getting one of the blank TKL yellow edition Shines, because I'm just that sorta person I guess.

@tuxsavvy
That keyboard looks really nice. It reminds me of a Logitech, just more affordable and more gamer-looking, and if it comes silenced with o-rings like the Logitech does, that would be cool to check out.
Thanks, hadn't heard of it before.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 09:37:11 »
Enjoy your Shine! I'm getting one of the blank TKL yellow edition Shines, because I'm just that sorta person I guess.

@tuxsavvy
That keyboard looks really nice. It reminds me of a Logitech, just more affordable and more gamer-looking, and if it comes silenced with o-rings like the Logitech does, that would be cool to check out.
Thanks, hadn't heard of it before.

I am surprised that someone would be interested one day in that keyboard that I pointed out lol. I have had my mix of success and pitiful stories with my logitech keyboards in the past. The only thing that remains logitech on my desk is the wired optical mouse. That said I don't think I have ever properly tried a logitech gaming keyboard. My brother did if I remember correctly.

Though no worries!  ;D

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline osi

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 09:45:11 »
Maybe the quickfire tk will be good for you.

Seconded

Offline mapple

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 09:57:54 »
just one thing which killed me inside - why  you did even ask us about mechanical keyboards if you placed apex inside for one of propo??????
In God We Trust

Offline AbsoluteZeroD

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 10:26:30 »
just one thing which killed me inside - why  you did even ask us about mechanical keyboards if you placed apex inside for one of propo??????

too show the sort of lighting I liked. I thought I mentioned that? I've been told it's not possible to have that on a mechanical though. Sadface.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 10:28:38 »
Something like this?

Offline AbsoluteZeroD

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 10:50:59 »
Something like this?

Show Image

Holy **** I want one.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 10:57:32 »
I think that they sell that on the Ducky page, it's the Shine 2 special edition. Not sure if it's still in stock, though.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 18:19:22 »
Something like this?

Show Image

Or you can emulate this by getting one with white backlighting and a bunch of those LED colour changing things.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ