Author Topic: (GB) PENUMBRA SA KEYSET(shipping)  (Read 1395014 times)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: (GB) PENUMBRA SA KEYSET(shipping)
« Reply #2200 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 12:19:48 »
No solarized alphas, not sure whether I like or dislike the move to keep that an R1 exclusive. Also, KBDIST says R2 is semi-gloss, is that any different than R1?
All SA is semi gloss.
I was under the impression that SA Commando and Amazing Chocolatier have a semi-matte finish? So there is difference?
I would say the difference between semi matte and semi gloss is just semantics. Every set I've ever used has been the same, and could fit both of those descriptions. I have not tried the two you named though, so I could be wrong, but doubt SP has two sets of molds for SA.

There are different finishes available for SA:  http://www.keycapsdirect.com/pdfs/SAFamily.pdf

S - SEMI-MATTE TOP AND SIDES
G - GLOSS TOP AND SIDES
M - MATTE TOP, SEMI-MATTE SIDES
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #2201 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 12:22:46 »
It's back on sale btw.

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #2202 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 12:33:09 »
It's back on sale btw.

It cancels when it's in the cart

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #2203 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 12:40:31 »
It's back on sale btw.

It cancels when it's in the cart

Oh, mb, didn't go that far. Now it also says sold out again.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #2204 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 12:59:58 »
No solarized alphas, not sure whether I like or dislike the move to keep that an R1 exclusive. Also, KBDIST says R2 is semi-gloss, is that any different than R1?
All SA is semi gloss.
I was under the impression that SA Commando and Amazing Chocolatier have a semi-matte finish? So there is difference?
I would say the difference between semi matte and semi gloss is just semantics. Every set I've ever used has been the same, and could fit both of those descriptions. I have not tried the two you named though, so I could be wrong, but doubt SP has two sets of molds for SA.

There are different finishes available for SA:  http://www.keycapsdirect.com/pdfs/SAFamily.pdf

G - GLOSS TOP AND SIDES
I had no idea

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2205 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 13:40:57 »
All SA is semi gloss.

G - GLOSS TOP AND SIDES

Fast knitting.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #2206 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 13:52:59 »
If anyone is interested - it looks like they're back online and a few people on r/mm had their orders go through. Good luck.

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #2207 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 14:19:56 »
Thanks, nabbed one. Haven't been this excited to part with $250 since my first car :).

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #2208 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 17:04:57 »
Thanks, nabbed one. Haven't been this excited to part with $250 since my first car :).
Damn, how can you waste so much money on a car?
Brb buying Clacks

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #2209 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 17:23:27 »
how long is this going to stay open? i assume it closed earlier because they sold all their pre-ordered stock.

and if that is the case, are these orders now just going toward a GB that will run sometime later this year (ship 2018)?

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #2210 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 17:27:06 »
how long is this going to stay open? i assume it closed earlier because they sold all their pre-ordered stock.

and if that is the case, are these orders now just going toward a GB that will run sometime later this year (ship 2018)?

it sold out because we only put a percentage of the stock up, to ensure people in all time zones had a chance, the full stock is now up, and wont last long

its not a gb, the order was put in and paid with SP quite a while ago, so when its gone now its gone
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline msilvv

« Reply #2211 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 19:14:34 »

it sold out because we only put a percentage of the stock up, to ensure people in all time zones had a chance, the full stock is now up, and wont last long

its not a gb, the order was put in and paid with SP quite a while ago, so when its gone now its gone
This is really clever and something I wished other businesses in different markets *cough* sneakers *cough* would do. It's also the reason I was able to snag a set so I might be biased.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Offline 01111000

« Reply #2212 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 19:17:17 »
Bump for visibility.

Already have Penumbra v1 but HyperFuse SA is a nice surprise and something I wanted since I first saw the colorway.
Poker 2 w/ MX Clears | Ducky Shine 3 w/ MX Blues | CM Novatouch

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #2213 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 19:50:16 »
Is the profile the same as Nantucket Selectric? Maybe people could mix Nantucket alphas and Penumbra mods

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #2214 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 20:08:27 »
Is the profile the same as Nantucket Selectric? Maybe people could mix Nantucket alphas and Penumbra mods
I believe not. Selectric is full sculpted 1-1-2-3-4-4 but this Penumbra round is "retro" 1-2-3-3-4-4 which I haven't seen on any other keyset before.

Offline yinzer

• I'm new around here ... please don't notice.
« Reply #2215 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 21:17:29 »
No ergodox kit in R2 is a huge bummer. Penumbra's dox set is still one of the better kits (if not the best) made to date.

Offline Perfex

« Reply #2216 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 21:27:58 »
This is sure turning out to be an expensive start of 2017 with all the new cases & keycaps.

Offline q1w2e3r4t5z

« Reply #2217 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 03:09:13 »
This is sure turning out to be an expensive amazing start of 2017 with all the new cases & keycaps.
FTFY ;)

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #2218 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 18:23:01 »

That would definitely explain the estimated ship dates given SP is currently listing SA doubleshot sets as booked through 10/2017.  Smart move to get a quick R2 in sooner than later.

Offline DreaMagine

• Head and shoulders, keys and toes
« Reply #2219 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 20:09:21 »
Wow! This is a surprise that round 2 is suddenly available.

While the price really hurts... (over $300 CAD for me) I have wanted this for many years now.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #2220 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 22:13:13 »
Wow! This is a surprise that round 2 is suddenly available.

While the price really hurts... (over $300 CAD for me) I have wanted this for many years now.

not many left

i'd get in while you still can

Offline Mormur

« Reply #2221 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 23:52:24 »
Hmm, is this actually round 2 or just leftover of round 1? I missed out again.

Offline msilvv

« Reply #2222 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 00:01:46 »
Hmm, is this actually round 2 or just leftover of round 1? I missed out again.
This is round 2. Originative fronted the money for a set amount of kits, so this is technically a preorder, but still. I didn't have the money this time around (thanks JChan and Rama) so I'm going to sit and wait for the GMK run of this (if it's still happening?)

Offline Perfex

« Reply #2223 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 00:48:07 »
This is round 2. Originative fronted the money for a set amount of kits, so this is technically a preorder, but still. I didn't have the money this time around (thanks JChan and Rama) so I'm going to sit and wait for the GMK run of this (if it's still happening?)

Oh the dream of GMK Penumbra  ^-^

Offline nastrovje

« Reply #2224 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 06:40:23 »
Aaand they're gone. All sold.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #2225 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 21:44:46 »
Geez, that reading through that Reddit post was cancerous. Everyone there is always looking for a way to crucify Bunny. Its a shame, the way that GMK Penumbra announcement went down but I am really looking forward to it.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #2226 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 00:15:36 »
Geez, that reading through that Reddit post was cancerous. Everyone there is always looking for a way to crucify Bunny. Its a shame, the way that GMK Penumbra announcement went down but I am really looking forward to it.
I'm in for both sets, I really don't like the pricing and think it's at least $75 overpriced, with that said I know if I decide to resell it I'll make at least my money back. So I got over it. But I would've much rather these were ran as group buys for a cheaper price with more people getting in on it then jacking the price up and screwing over a bunch of people. Plain and simple it was not handled properly. Do I think it was bunnys fault?  Not in the slightest, it was out of his hands he just gave permission to run it, and everyone ****ting on him needs to take a step back. Do I think this was done completely wrong and just shows the greed of ctrl.alt and originative? Yes completely, they've ran group buys before and opted out of doing that because they knew this would make them a ton more money and they didn't care about the people, and if you think all those people that bought penumbra sets this last week for $600+ because a lot of people randomly started selling them weren't completely screwed and were just unlucky you're wrong, there is absolutely no way those sellers didn't know that penumbra R2 was coming, they were given a heads up. What went down was completely wrong, and I get as a business you want to make money, but it was handled completely wrong and I know many people are angry and won't do business with them again. You might've made a ton this time, but you lost a lot of continuing clients. Everyone in the business world knows keeping a continued client is much more important and financially sound then working to get a new one. Anyway end rant, I don't think bunny was to blame, but this was not handled right at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #2227 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 00:34:22 »

I'm in for both sets, I really don't like the pricing and think it's at least $75 overpriced, with that said I know if I decide to resell it I'll make at least my money back. So I got over it. But I would've much rather these were ran as group buys for a cheaper price with more people getting in on it then jacking the price up and screwing over a bunch of people.

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand where people are getting their figures on the supposed cost of SA keysets. You think the same thing could be made and sold for $150? Please go fetch a quote from SP for a set with the same compatibility and number of colors. I understand that it's fun to look at Massdrop and extrapolate, but you're simply incorrect here and have nothing to back up your numbers or the even more ludicrous numbers thrown around in that Reddit thread.

Yes, there is markup on the sets. Is that screwing over a bunch of people? In exchange for that, the entire order was paid for months in advance to move up production and you get to deal with a business with professional fulfillment and support.

Do I think this was done completely wrong and just shows the greed of ctrl.alt and originative? Yes completely, they've ran group buys before and opted out of doing that because they knew this would make them a ton more money and they didn't care about the people, and if you think all those people that bought penumbra sets this last week for $600+ because a lot of people randomly started selling them weren't completely screwed and were just unlucky you're wrong, there is absolutely no way those sellers didn't know that penumbra R2 was coming, they were given a heads up.

This is another simply baseless accusation. I have a bit of inside knowledge here and know for a fact that Bunny & Sherry were not "tipping people off" to sell their sets. Bunny has been publicly stating in his Sophomore JTK GB thread that Penumbra R2 was imminent. If folks saw it and chose to sell their sets right quick, that's fine, but please stop spreading this ****ing nonsense about tipping people off.

What went down was completely wrong, and I get as a business you want to make money, but it was handled completely wrong and I know many people are angry and won't do business with them again. You might've made a ton this time, but you lost a lot of continuing clients. Everyone in the business world knows keeping a continued client is much more important and financially sound then working to get a new one. Anyway end rant, I don't think bunny was to blame, but this was not handled right at all.

Do you mean all the people making alts on Reddit to wail on Originative and [CTRL]ALT? Or the hundreds of customers who now get a set they really wanted months in advance of when they thought they'd ever be able to? I'm pretty sure that first group was going to stick to Dasher & Dancer, and I assure you that the majority of the second group is going to end up happy. Would it have been nice if the set was cheaper and available to everyone and their dog? Maybe, but it can be run again in the future, and I'm sure it will be. You were given a bone, stop trying to take the damn arm along with it.

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #2228 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 00:42:03 »

I'm in for both sets, I really don't like the pricing and think it's at least $75 overpriced, with that said I know if I decide to resell it I'll make at least my money back. So I got over it. But I would've much rather these were ran as group buys for a cheaper price with more people getting in on it then jacking the price up and screwing over a bunch of people.

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand where people are getting their figures on the supposed cost of SA keysets. You think the same thing could be made and sold for $150? Please go fetch a quote from SP for a set with the same compatibility and number of colors. I understand that it's fun to look at Massdrop and extrapolate, but you're simply incorrect here and have nothing to back up your numbers or the even more ludicrous numbers thrown around in that Reddit thread.

Yes, there is markup on the sets. Is that screwing over a bunch of people? In exchange for that, the entire order was paid for months in advance to move up production and you get to deal with a business with professional fulfillment and support.

Do I think this was done completely wrong and just shows the greed of ctrl.alt and originative? Yes completely, they've ran group buys before and opted out of doing that because they knew this would make them a ton more money and they didn't care about the people, and if you think all those people that bought penumbra sets this last week for $600+ because a lot of people randomly started selling them weren't completely screwed and were just unlucky you're wrong, there is absolutely no way those sellers didn't know that penumbra R2 was coming, they were given a heads up.

This is another simply baseless accusation. I have a bit of inside knowledge here and know for a fact that Bunny & Sherry were not "tipping people off" to sell their sets. Bunny has been publicly stating in his Sophomore JTK GB thread that Penumbra R2 was imminent. If folks saw it and chose to sell their sets right quick, that's fine, but please stop spreading this ****ing nonsense about tipping people off.

What went down was completely wrong, and I get as a business you want to make money, but it was handled completely wrong and I know many people are angry and won't do business with them again. You might've made a ton this time, but you lost a lot of continuing clients. Everyone in the business world knows keeping a continued client is much more important and financially sound then working to get a new one. Anyway end rant, I don't think bunny was to blame, but this was not handled right at all.

Do you mean all the people making alts on Reddit to wail on Originative and [CTRL]ALT? Or the hundreds of customers who now get a set they really wanted months in advance of when they thought they'd ever be able to? I'm pretty sure that first group was going to stick to Dasher & Dancer, and I assure you that the majority of the second group is going to end up happy. Would it have been nice if the set was cheaper and available to everyone and their dog? Maybe, but it can be run again in the future, and I'm sure it will be. You were given a bone, stop trying to take the damn arm along with it.

Smh just another one of you guys trying to bully people making valid points. Many SA sets have sold for below $150 very recently with the same compatibility. And yes they fronted the money and therefore we get the set sooner, but most of the people I've seen/spoke to wanted a group buy for this and had no problem waiting some extra months for the pretty big discount it would've had and the larger availability that would've came from it. Stop using the "oh hey fronted the money so we could have this sooner" thing as an argument when most people did not want that and wanted the group buy. You're treading on dangerous territory here with this, because now more companies will see **** like this and then this is what it will turn to. No more group buys and just companies offering "preorders" and jacked up prices. Keycaps are already overpriced because of the niche market they sell too. This set would've had completely zero problems hitting every moq that would've been set in a group buy , so please stop saying well x and x fronted money to get this sooner when everyone knows the money would've been there no matter what

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #2229 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 00:46:37 »
You literally called what you wrote a rant. I'm sorry if you felt bullied, but I responded point by point to your claims, the majority of which were simply unfounded or untrue.

Obviously not going to be productive to continue discussing this with you, as you've made up your mind.

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #2230 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 00:49:58 »
You literally called what you wrote a rant. I'm sorry if you felt bullied, but I responded point by point to your claims, the majority of which were simply unfounded or untrue.

Obviously not going to be productive to continue discussing this with you, as you've made up your mind.

Rants can't contain facts? You seem disconnected. Anyway you're correct in your last point I have made up my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #2231 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 00:53:45 »
Good talk. 

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #2232 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 01:44:22 »
Sry, didn't mean to start any arguments :-[ Something that I didn't know was the fact that MD gets preferred pricing from SP, makes sense considering next-to-nobody is doing community run SA GBs lately.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #2233 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 01:48:55 »
MD not only gets preferred pricing, this set was prepaid at a certain price point which eliminates higher volume discount potential.

As I've stated before on /r/MK, I hope things work out for Originative to be able to get to a better discount level on SA sets.

Offline steven_g

« Reply #2234 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 02:12:15 »
Which recently run SA sets contain all those keys or similar at $150? Dasher/Dancer would probably be one answer but it got the benefit of the Massdrop discount to reach that price point.

I spent slightly more than $160 on SA 1965 with no type of alt bottom row keys or ISO keys, both base and alphas hitting the 200-plus MOQ. I didn't feel ripped off and no one else was vocal about the set being overpriced.

Offline ace_of_dunces

« Reply #2235 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 18:28:08 »
I was traveling and completely missed it :'(

Offline keytohopiness

« Reply #2236 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 19:06:17 »
Sry, didn't mean to start any arguments :-[ Something that I didn't know was the fact that MD gets preferred pricing from SP, makes sense considering next-to-nobody is doing community run SA GBs lately.

If Massdrop is cheaper why not offer Penumbra on Massdrop?

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #2237 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 19:18:40 »

Because some believe mass drop should not be supported due to their shady practices. Myself included.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #2238 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 19:32:54 »
Good talk.

<3 YOURE BACK! Ive been MIA for like 6 months so you easily could've been back months ago
Hi :)

Offline Meitachi

• Je sui prest
« Reply #2239 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 20:47:20 »

Because some believe mass drop should not be supported due to their shady practices. Myself included.

Relatively new to the scene, can anyone give a short summary of why Massdrop is shady? I was hoping to buy a couple keysets from them soon.

Offline Perfex

« Reply #2240 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 21:24:08 »
Their shipping practices are very undesirable, but I'm not sure I would go out and say their shady.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #2241 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 04:26:45 »

Relatively new to the scene, can anyone give a short summary of why Massdrop is shady? I was hoping to buy a couple keysets from them soon.
They don't always price things according to what they pay. They basically make up an MSRP so that it seems we are getting a great deal. Some designers have ran into trouble getting payments from MD.

Offline keytohopiness

« Reply #2242 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 09:22:53 »
Which designers?

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #2243 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 01:06:19 »

If you look at the situation with MassDrop currently, it might be a while before the drop could even run.  MD has been ineffective in their communication of drop slots since early 2016 or so.  Just look at Dasher/Dancer.  We had zslane not getting any full confirmation until quite near the December drop time and that was with submission back in... was it March or April?  If I'm not mistaken, Pwner is in a similar boat with MD with Rebel and nothing one way or another.  That with a proper MD poll as well as the large IC thread here which MD has used in lieu of a MD poll in the past for sets like Troubled Minds.

I'm all in favor of having additional vendors running buys.  It does mean higher prices but with MD running things the way they are lately, I think the community needs to start taking a more serious look at alternative companies that can handle this and I fully admit to being a MassDrop proponent.  Still, it can't be the only game in town.  The PMK system faltered as SP really doesn't seem to quite know how to do submission-based direct sales well.  Another vendor is definitely needed.

Offline JackieOReally

« Reply #2244 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 02:44:34 »
Bought it. So expensive. This and my filco I bought for this is $560 Australian.... Yikes. Probably could have waited for Oblivion on mass drop but I really wanted this one.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #2245 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 19:00:50 »
Bought it. So expensive. This and my filco I bought for this is $560 Australian.... Yikes. Probably could have waited for Oblivion on mass drop but I really wanted this one.

$560 AUD is nuffin in this game mate!

Offline profanum429

« Reply #2246 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 20:04:08 »
I've searched a little and found that the R2 of Penumbra will be using the RA color for red since RR is no longer available? Is this correct info? Just trying to figure out the color codes if they've changed from R1 :) Thanks!

Offline jjnist

« Reply #2247 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 20:52:07 »
Which recently run SA sets contain all those keys or similar at $150? Dasher/Dancer would probably be one answer but it got the benefit of the Massdrop discount to reach that price point.

I spent slightly more than $160 on SA 1965 with no type of alt bottom row keys or ISO keys, both base and alphas hitting the 200-plus MOQ. I didn't feel ripped off and no one else was vocal about the set being overpriced.

Not that it had as many keys but nantucket selectric was much cheaper

Offline punksinatra

• Random Stuff
« Reply #2248 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 13:55:36 »

Not that it had as many keys but nantucket selectric was much cheaper

This I agree.. I bought in to Nantucket after the group buy, after the 1st extras stage. I am one of the last guys to get a set and I paid $99 (without shipping) for the TKL which had extra colored space bar and alternate ~ and \, alternate F5-F8 and alternate caps lock

I paid total $150 (without shipping) for base TKL set + amity and cape add on novelties

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #2249 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 23:25:24 »
Just figured that I'd mention Originative seems to have updated the Penumbra round 2 renders and it now includes an R2 Esc key (same for Hyperfuse). I'm actually pretty excited this happened.