Author Topic: Hello, looking into my first!  (Read 1959 times)

Offline CheesecakeRecipe

Hello, looking into my first!
« on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 18:10:41 »
Hey everyone, I'm glad to have been directed to your forum! I am in need of some advice for an upgrade from the membrane I've been using for years and years. I'm both an aspiring writer as well as an avid PC gamer, and have been looking into giving my fingers a better experience behind the wheel.

My research thus far has taught me that I would prefer the Cherry MX Browns for their mix of typing and gaming functionality, and was close to picking up the Das Keyboard Professional Model S Silent. However, as I was doing some digging around I found some reviews on their new models being less reliable and of poor build quality (including a topic from geekhack!). This puts me somewhat back on square one, so now I'm turning towards the people who know their stuff for help! I would like to keep the price around $100-$130 if possible, full keyboard layout. I don't need macros or backlights, just something I know is going to be a decent starter investment. Located in the US.

Any help would be appreciated, I look forward to being able to join you all on the side of mechanical keyboards round Christmas time!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello, looking into my first!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 18:51:15 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I'll start the ball rolling by suggesting a Filco if you do not want backlighting, or a Ducky if you do want backlighting.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CheesecakeRecipe

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 19:04:51 »
I had seen the Ducky Ducky DK9008 Shine II w/Browns on Mechanicalkeyboards but I had never heard of the brand until I browsed there which I found curious. I looked up some Filcos but the ones I found weren't full sized and well above my price range. I take it Ducky is a solid company?

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 19:05:56 »
the price of a ducky and a filco aren't that far apart man

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 19:09:23 »
I had not heard of Ducky either, but now I have two Ducky Shines (both version 1).  Both are fine solid reliable keyboards.

In fact it is rare for anyone to complain about Ducky.  Or Filco.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CheesecakeRecipe

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 19:20:51 »
the price of a ducky and a filco aren't that far apart man

I am unable to find the one that I want though, the full size (with keypad and all) Filco with MX Browns available to a US address. The closest one I was able to find was The Camo model, which I find gaudy and atrocious. All the other models are tenkeyless and much, much more expensive. Can you help me out?

I had not heard of Ducky either, but now I have two Ducky Shines (both version 1).  Both are fine solid reliable keyboards.

In fact it is rare for anyone to complain about Ducky.  Or Filco.

Excellent news to my ears, er well, eyes! Ducky seems far easier to get my hands on than Filco so far, though the Filcos do look like fantastic pieces of work.

Thanks to everyone so far, I appreciate the help in tracking down the right board for me.

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 07:51:08 »
Quickfire rapid Tenkeyless going for $66.99 in Amazon. Everything including the PCB is same as Filco except for the different branding.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 18:33:16 »
Quickfire rapid Tenkeyless going for $66.99 in Amazon. Everything including the PCB is same as Filco except for the different branding.

PCB is lesser quality than Filco but not justified by the price difference. You wouldn't notice.

Also, welcome to Geekhack.
I love Elzy