Author Topic: What to do with a Dolch Pac?  (Read 8547 times)

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
What to do with a Dolch Pac?
« on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 16:54:54 »
So, we all obviously purchase this thing for the keyboard, then we wonder what the hell to do with it afterwards.  After removing the back panel and taking a look at the unusual layout and trillions of screws, I don't think I'm going to continue disassembling it until I develop some idea as to whether I want to gut it and try to fit new stuff in there, or try to do something with the existing hardware.

To the first end, has anyone ever had any luck using the built-in display with newer hardware?

To the second, though I can't find complete specs off hand, it seems this is a Pac 60 probably with an early Pentium CPU.  Windows 3.11 for Workgroups box, perhaps?  With it having been nearly 18 years since I last played it, with my newfound post-pubescent skill & ability I'll finally be able to avoid being devoured alive by that abominable snowman-thing in Ski Free.  Or just play Rodent's Revenge with the Dolch keyboard like a real G.

Of course, if one of you feels you could give it a better home, I'd probably give it away for the cost of shipping. :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 December 2012, 16:57:44 by precarious »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: What to do with a Dolch Pac?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 17:39:32 »
IIRC it runs Windows 98...

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 17:42:10 »
they run different OS depending on the model 60/62/64/65

my 64 runs MS-DOS  :-\
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 18:12:24 »
I tell the seller to keep the pc and send just the keyboard lol
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 18:15:56 »
install Linux on it and use it for IRC!

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 18:20:43 »
I'd almost buy it to use for IRC... Hmmmm...

Offline precarious

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 18:22:24 »
install Linux on it and use it for IRC!

haha, this is actually a great idea, but I don't know if it would be the application for me, as much as I love it.

I actually picked this one up locally so I probably should've just told the guy to trash it, since he would have, but oh well!

Offline DrSchlock

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 10:22:43 »
Mine runs windows 95 and has some sort of sniffing software on it. I can power it up when I get home to confirm.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 10:47:12 »
Do you use the keyboard itself? Or would you be willing to trade the blue stems for browns? :)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 10:48:28 »
Fish tank?
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline kbfreak

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 15:35:23 »
Mine runs windows 95 and has some sort of sniffing software on it. I can power it up when I get home to confirm.

You mean wifi sniffing? shady lol

Offline precarious

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 15:40:54 »

You mean wifi sniffing? shady lol

Windows 95

"The original version of the standard IEEE 802.11 was released in 1997 and clarified in 1999"

* precarious dies

love the fish tank idea too, though!  and yeah, i love that dolch keyboard, definitely not selling that one, at least not for a while. :)

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 15:46:09 »

So your the reason some of the sellers on eBay say they will not part the keyboard! Lol.
Looking for CC's!

Offline precarious

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 16:04:17 »

So your the reason some of the sellers on eBay say they will not part the keyboard! Lol.

i'm assuming this is because they are misguided and think that the entire unit has value, kind of like those people who keep listing them at 350 and will never sell them.  although i saw the 1600 or so dollar ex-NASA one sold at some point, not sure what the hell that was about.  people make the most irrational associations.

Offline simkev

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 06:16:08 »
You should throw beast hardware in it. You would have the ultimate lan party pc. Just remember to install a higher resolution screen.
JAG ÄR LIVRÄDD FÖR ATT LEVA & JAG ÄR DÖDSRÄDD FÖR ATT DÖ

| Poker X - Ergo Clears & Red Alert 2.0 | Majestouch 2 TKL - Browns & Blue Cream Cheese |

Offline precarious

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 09:48:43 »
You should throw beast hardware in it. You would have the ultimate lan party pc. Just remember to install a higher resolution screen.

That was the most practical application I thought of for it BUT WHO GOES ANYWHERE ANYMORE HAHA.  The integrated LCD doesn't seem too good, it had some ribbon cable-y looking thing that probably isn't worth sorting out.   I actually ended up gutting the entire unit a few days ago.

Scored myself a brand new-looking 486 DXII hell yeah makin' myself a necklace!

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 10:44:03 »
Can you retrofit a micro atx inside or something?  I've seen some cool projects with an old NES system

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 14:27:05 »
I had a Dolch Pac 64 that I just gutted this weekend for the Intel i960 and 486 CPU (I have a small collection of vintage processors). I felt bad doing it at first, but I realized that this machine is mostly useless at this point as a practical device and is just taking up space. The CPU is obsolete, depending on what cards you have installed they are mostly obsolete. As a network sniffer there are free applications now that easily replace what this machine was intended to do.

The screen resolution was also very low, 640 x 480 resolution. Most smart phones offer better resolution while only consuming a fraction of the power. I believe the internal case was made with some type of copper alloy for RF shielding which makes some of these older units not very strong (vs. steel case). Technically you could put a small PC into this, but really what's the point? You can also put a small PC into a gutted microwave, toaster, etc...

Just make sure you properly dispose of your Dolch Pac as the screen's CCFL backlight did contain some Mercury.

« Last Edit: Wed, 26 December 2012, 14:32:05 by RiffRaff »

Offline precarious

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 15:50:45 »
I had a Dolch Pac 64 that I just gutted this weekend for the Intel i960 and 486 CPU (I have a small collection of vintage processors). I felt bad doing it at first, but I realized that this machine is mostly useless at this point as a practical device and is just taking up space. The CPU is obsolete, depending on what cards you have installed they are mostly obsolete. As a network sniffer there are free applications now that easily replace what this machine was intended to do.

The screen resolution was also very low, 640 x 480 resolution. Most smart phones offer better resolution while only consuming a fraction of the power. I believe the internal case was made with some type of copper alloy for RF shielding which makes some of these older units not very strong (vs. steel case). Technically you could put a small PC into this, but really what's the point? You can also put a small PC into a gutted microwave, toaster, etc...

Just make sure you properly dispose of your Dolch Pac as the screen's CCFL backlight did contain some Mercury.

I felt bad at first too, since all of the stuff was completely unused, but ultimately the only thing really worthwhile about the unit was the keyboard.

R.I.P. DOLCH PAC 60 1999 - 2012

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 00:10:35 »