Author Topic: :~$ynth  (Read 310135 times)

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
Re: :~$ynth
« Reply #200 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 13:09:17 »
HOLY ****ING **** PLEASE TELL ME THE SPACE BEAR MOLD IS ALIVE

BINGE TAKE MY MONEY AND MY MAMMARIES PLEASE

That is an old picture, just showing how far back the :~$ynth was being worked on.

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #201 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 13:11:28 »

Source: Keycon 2015 Instagram :(

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #202 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 21:29:04 »

That's the spirit!
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #203 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 11:20:04 »
that gentleman cap.

I don't know if the individual Esc row cap has a different name, but the four-cap cluster is called WASDson.  :cool:  As such, I've always called the face portion WASDson as well.  I'm not sure if this is correct or not (happily corrected), but the more you know and all that.  :)

Offline dohbot

« Reply #204 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 11:31:52 »
that gentleman cap.

I don't know if the individual Esc row cap has a different name, but the four-cap cluster is called WASDson.  :cool:  As such, I've always called the face portion WASDson as well.  I'm not sure if this is correct or not (happily corrected), but the more you know and all that.  :)
Yeah I never knew the name of that cap so thanks. The WASDson is really cool too!
That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #205 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 11:33:29 »
that gentleman cap.

I've heard of the cluster being called WASDson, but this old sale thread (warning, Moose trigger) calls the face cap Earl.

Pic of the WASDson cluster:
More

Offline WidgiePidge

« Reply #206 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 11:41:42 »
that gentleman cap.

I've heard of the cluster being called WASDson, but this old sale thread (warning, Moose trigger) calls the face cap Earl.

More
Show Image
Earl of Esc.  He's got more teeth, and thinks quite highly of his own profile.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #207 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 11:48:44 »
that gentleman cap.

More
Show Image

Thank you two for the correction and confirmation!  :thumb: 

* HoffmanMyster will spread the knowledge of Earl of Esc

Offline Lokomotivet

• (⌐■_■)
« Reply #208 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 13:25:11 »
Holy ****, great job Binge! I might actually try and cast some of my own caps one day with the help of :~$ynth!
| ISO |

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #209 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 13:42:06 »
I've been reading the information regarding :~$ynth as well as the introductory information regarding Binge's method of creation, an it's been interesting to get a glimpse of the process of creation of these caps. Thanks for providing this level of interaction with the community Binge, there is a wealth of information here. I'm sure there's a lot more information contained all over the forums, just slowly going through it all over time!
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #210 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 15:47:17 »
that gentleman cap.

More
Show Image

This is the first time im seeing this cap... when did it come out?
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #211 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 15:51:55 »

More
Show Image

That's from what I'd call the Second Era of Binge (fall-winter 2013).  First Era (summer-fall 2013) was hand-sculpted and hand-painted stuff to raise funds, this was sculpted and cast.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #212 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 15:53:23 »

More
Show Image

That's from what I'd call the Second Era of Binge (fall-winter 2013).  First Era (summer-fall 2013) was hand-sculpted and hand-painted stuff to raise funds, this was sculpted and cast.

mfw I have eras and a historian <3
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #213 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 16:08:35 »

More
Show Image

It's proof you really made it!
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #214 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 17:56:22 »

More
Show Image

For the purposes of preserving the historical record, can we then say that it goes like this:

First Era (summer-fall 2013): hand-sculpted and hand-painted stuff to raise funds
Second Era  (fall-winter 2013): sculpted and cast
Third Era (winter 2013 to now): Creation of slo-fi and caps that are still today being produced

Third era = explosion of innovation, including (1) sculpted bottoms (no off-the-shelf cap "base") with the creation of Skullthulu; (2) forced patinas, fluorescents and other effects; (3) Spacebear (self-explanatory)

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #215 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 17:58:04 »

More
Show Image

For the purposes of preserving the historical record, can we then say that it goes like this:

First Era (summer-fall 2013): hand-sculpted and hand-painted stuff to raise funds
Third Era (winter 2013 to now): Creation of slo-fi and caps that are still today being produced

Third era = explosion of innovation, including (1) sculpted bottoms (no off-the-shelf cap "base") with the creation of Skullthulu; (2) forced patinas, fluorescents and other effects; (3) Spacebear (self-explanatory)

For a noob like me thank you for all this. it's cool to see how Binge and Wifu have progressed. Could we call ourselves now in the fourth era with the birth of HWS?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #216 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 18:01:07 »

Would HWS be considered 4th era with the creation of the :~$ynth, launching a new brand, and wifu becoming a permanent contributor?

Yeah that :~$ynth is new.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #217 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 18:04:15 »

Would HWS be considered 4th era with the creation of the :~$ynth, launching a new brand, and wifu becoming a permanent contributor?

STFU BINGE WE ARE TRYING TO IDOLIZE AND CATALOGUE YOU HERE JESUS HOW CAN WE WORK UNDER THESE CONDITIONS

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #218 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 18:16:53 »
but yes <3 <3 <3

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #219 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 19:14:58 »

STFU BINGE WE ARE TRYING TO IDOLIZE AND CATALOGUE YOU HERE JESUS HOW CAN WE WORK UNDER THESE CONDITIONS

I was out buying icecream for everyone and I come back to shouting ;(

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #220 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 19:18:44 »

I was out buying icecream for everyone and I come back to shouting ;(

ohhh ice cream... we forgive you Binge.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #221 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 21:57:11 »

Whoooaaaaa, fall 2013 to fall 2015 is all one era?!?  Sorry, but I do not agree.  :P  haha

I haven't given it enough thought to define the various phases of creation in that period, but I think I would recommend a couple more eras in there.  ;)

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #222 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 05:37:28 »

More
Show Image

In the process of finding and saving as many photos of HWS caps as possible  :D

Whoooaaaaa, fall 2013 to fall 2015 is all one era?!?  Sorry, but I do not agree.  :P  haha

I haven't given it enough thought to define the various phases of creation in that period, but I think I would recommend a couple more eras in there.  ;)

The more eras the better!  :p

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #223 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 14:26:04 »

You seem to love them, how many were made?

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #224 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 15:18:38 »

Less than 10 I think :(

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #225 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 15:29:07 »

I think the only official sale they were released in was the Ocean Sand Sky sale, correct?  And I remember fewer than 10 Spacebears in that sale (~8 or so).  I know he casted some prior to that, but I have no recollection of those making it out to other members.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #226 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 15:36:25 »

I think the only official sale they were released in was the Ocean Sand Sky sale, correct?  And I remember fewer than 10 Spacebears in that sale (~8 or so).  I know he casted some prior to that, but I have no recollection of those making it out to other members.

7 in that thread, that also just became my favorite sale - the colors are top notch.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #227 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 15:36:51 »

That's my understanding, too. AFAIK these are the only spacebears held outside of Binge's possession:
More

And accordingly, o3okevin holds the only doubleshot spacebear in existence.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #228 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 15:43:25 »

That's my understanding, too. AFAIK these are the only spacebears held outside of Binge's possession:
More
Show Image

hnnnnggg dat doubleshot doe

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #229 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 06:04:35 »

More
Show Image

hnnnnggg dat doubleshot doe

It just looks perfect!

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #230 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 08:57:59 »
Don't want to derail this thread too much, but why haven't more spacebears been made? Too difficult to get good results? Cost of production?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #231 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 10:40:44 »
Don't want to derail this thread too much, but why haven't more spacebears been made? Too difficult to get good results? Cost of production?

It's ok, the thread won't get derailed.  I'm not replying to spacebear discussion here.  Just a heads up to anyone wondering.

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #232 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 10:42:31 »
I'm assuming this first synth will only do Esc row profile? Or is there some method to use this to do different profiles?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #233 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 13:27:01 »
I'm assuming this first synth will only do Esc row profile? Or is there some method to use this to do different profiles?
The :~$ynth is a positive space representation of the under side of a key which is the composition and dimension of the inner walls and stem of the cap.  Therefore the :~$ynth does not dictate profile.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #234 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 13:49:12 »
The :~$ynth is a positive space representation of the under side of a key which is the composition and dimension of the inner walls and stem of the cap.  Therefore the :~$ynth does not dictate profile.

I have no idea what this means

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #235 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 13:52:02 »

Show Image

m

Means the Synth only controls the underside shape of the cap, not the top shape. So you can make any profile on top of the Synth.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #236 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 13:56:42 »

Show Image

m

Means the Synth only controls the underside shape of the cap, not the top shape. So you can make any profile on top of the Synth.
Yes yes!  All of this!

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #237 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 14:01:09 »
Sorry, let me rephrase. I remember in the first look video you mentioned that the donor or sculpted cap would need to sit flush with the base of the :~$ynth. The part that sticks out from the base looks kind of tall compared to how low some of the shorter profile cherry caps sit. Is it possible to fit one of those low profile caps on and still have it touch the base? How low can it go? :P

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #238 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 15:36:54 »
Sorry, let me rephrase. I remember in the first look video you mentioned that the donor or sculpted cap would need to sit flush with the base of the :~$ynth. The part that sticks out from the base looks kind of tall compared to how low some of the shorter profile cherry caps sit. Is it possible to fit one of those low profile caps on and still have it touch the base? How low can it go? :P

Checking the measurements now.  Shouldn't be a problem to cast the lowest profile keys on this tool.

::EDIT:: It can work, just barely.  I really would recommend using a different profile such as DCS or OEM if you were to use the tool as it is now.  The top of the key would be brutally thin on cherry FN profile.  If this does well enough I might be able to work on a revision.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 January 2016, 10:48:28 by Binge »

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #239 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 15:58:41 »

Checking the measurements now.  Shouldn't be a problem to cast the lowest profile keys on this tool.

Very nice; it would be nice to be able to use it for DSA caps! :)

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #240 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 18:41:00 »
Sorry, let me rephrase. I remember in the first look video you mentioned that the donor or sculpted cap would need to sit flush with the base of the :~$ynth. The part that sticks out from the base looks kind of tall compared to how low some of the shorter profile cherry caps sit. Is it possible to fit one of those low profile caps on and still have it touch the base? How low can it go?

Very nice; it would be nice to be able to use it for DSA caps! :)
It is made for cylindrical keys not short spherical.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 January 2016, 20:24:51 by Binge »

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #241 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 12:27:41 »
< START.Update 6 >

It's been a bit since I had commented on this project and my own progress.  We started working on the Polar Ice/Glacier/whateverthemonkey combo of ultramarine, off-white, trans sapphire-sea blue and I just haven't spent the time needed on continuing my first HWS cap made with the :~$ynth.

Short update, but maybe a few people will piece together what's happening as it progresses.

I used my slow set sculpting epoxy and oil as the release agent from the :~$ynth.

< END.Update 6>

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #242 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 12:32:15 »
I like where this is going.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #243 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 12:32:51 »
Let's play spot the ancestry...

Show Image

Source: Keycon 2015 Instagram

Hoots, HandE caps and SpaceBear.

2016 is looking to be the year of Binge

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #244 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 12:34:43 »

< START.Update 6 >

It's been a bit since I had commented on this project and my own progress.  We started working on the Polar Ice/Glacier/whateverthemonkey combo of ultramarine, off-white, trans sapphire-sea blue and I just haven't spent the time needed on continuing my first HWS cap made with the :~$ynth.

Short update, but maybe a few people will piece together what's happening as it progresses.

Show Image

I used my slow set sculpting epoxy and oil as the release agent from the :~$ynth.

< END.Update 6>

I spy a mouth in progress.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #245 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 12:44:24 »

< START.Update 6 >

Show Image

< END.Update 6>

Does it look hungry?

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #246 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 12:47:41 »

< START.Update 6 >

Show Image

< END.Update 6>

Does it look hungry?

Yep, seems your concept is WORKing out.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #247 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 20:51:28 »
< START.Update 6 >

Show Image

< END.Update 6>

That sculpt seems a cut above of your older stuff man
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #248 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 21:54:08 »
< START.Update 6 >

Show Image

< END.Update 6>

I get Binding Of Isaac vibes from the lower jaw, super cool   :thumb:

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #249 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 23:36:26 »
< START.Update 7 >

Pictures say 1000 words.

For everything I can't say with these pictures, stay tuned for the next update!

< END.Update 7 >