Author Topic: GMK causes scratchy sound?  (Read 4670 times)

Offline cbotmk3

GMK causes scratchy sound?
« on: Wed, 20 September 2023, 11:40:38 »
I've got this strange problem with my Keychron Q3 where GMK and DCX Keycaps (they're almost identical) cause a strange scratchy feeling and sound.
It's very subtle, as if the switches are scratchy, but they alone cant be the problem:
Other keycaps are fine. Also the exact same GMK keycaps sound fine in other keyboards (e.g. ZoomTKL).

This happens only with my Q3, changing the switches does not help either. There is no interference with the switches.

It's really annoying and I've got no clue what this is caused by... maybe the keycaps resonate somehow with the switches or case?

Did anyone else experience this? It drives me crazy that I cant figure out why  :p

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
Re: GMK causes scratchy sound?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 September 2023, 08:02:42 »
are the stems on the keycaps defective? the 2 gmk kits ive had both had stems that were off-center and hit the switch
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline coelacanth

• cheesed to meet you 💪😎
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 12:17:07 »
are the stems on the keycaps defective? the 2 gmk kits ive had both had stems that were off-center and hit the switch
I second this, one of the gmk sets I've had had off center stems
Geonworks Frog F13 TKL | Gateron <3  —  1984 Volvo 240 DL 2l OG Redblock Owner 

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 18:20:39 »
To put a different idea out there, maybe the switch housing is interfering with cherry profile keycaps, causing that subtle scratch. Not sure about that though, if you have different types of switches than the ones in the Q3 then maybe replace a few to see if they have this issue as well.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 November 2023, 18:07:42 »
May be it is because of the north-facing PCB? I don't remember if Keychron PCB is north or south-facing. But north-facing does create a scratchy sound and weird noise with my GMK Laser.
I'm a Color lover and a designer.