Author Topic: SA-like keycaps for low-profile Gateron/CherryMX switches?  (Read 3059 times)

Offline bitbang3r

SA-like keycaps for low-profile Gateron/CherryMX switches?
« on: Fri, 08 March 2024, 17:05:49 »
Does anybody make keycaps that are made to fit low-profile Gateron/MX switches... but are shaped up on top more like SA-profile (or maybe Cherry-profile) keycaps? Meaning, deeply and spherically-sculpted, with differing row heights and top angles, so it feels "right" when the keyboard is angled?

I've been searching for weeks, but it feels like everyone who makes low-profile keycaps assumes that people with low-profile switches got them because they actually want low-profile switches and shallow keycaps... as opposed to, "settled for a keyboard with low-profile switches (like the NuPhy Air75v2) because it was the only one that can sit directly on top of a Macbook Pro's built-in keyboard, but really wants to make them feel as much like "normal" switches as possible".

I found 3mm extenders (https://www.etsy.com/listing/1664441673/mx-riser-3mm-pack-of-10) and feel confident that they'll work fine for the "normal" keys, but I'm not so sure about the wider keys like enter, shift, and (especially) the spacebar. Apparently, NyPhy does something special with their spacebars... and I'm not sure whether whatever it is they do differently would cause problems for using normal-height keycaps with shaft extenders.

So... does anyone know of someone who makes/sells keycaps that are basically low-profile on the bottom, but deeply-sculpted on top & with different row heights (a-la-SA)?