Author Topic: Did someone here score this Northgate?  (Read 1449 times)

Offline didjamatic

Did someone here score this Northgate?
« on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 15:05:51 »
Northgate NIB.
If someone here got it, PM me.  I'll give you a mint Poker and a some other crap for it.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 15:12:20 »
Still like the Northgates eh? I didn't get it but wish I had...

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 16:06:41 »
My favorite version of the Omnikey, although I don't like the Ctrl / Caps placement.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 16:43:50 »
I have an Omnikey Ultra like the one linked to above.  Mine wasn't new but well cared for.  Love mine.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 17:00:01 »
Northgates are like classic/muscle cars.

One of my omnikey ultra pluses is a white switch board that would make the smoothest cherries jealous, haven't found another quite like it other than a NIB Ortek and a few Northgate 102's with Blues.  Some ALPS don't age well but you get the right ones and they're amazing.  To find any Omnikey that doesn't have a trapdoor on the front, meaning it was pre-1993ish is tough.  There are a lot of people out there that aren't' keyboard geeks but have been happily typing on them since the early 90's.  That's why they go for big money when a mint one comes up, and why Northgate Bob is still in business.

Re: Revenge... Northgates came with extra caps you can swap and whether you had them or not, it is as simple as flipping a dipswitch to make the capslock become a control key.

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 20:22:33 »
Quote from: didjamatic;601540
Re: Revenge... Northgates came with extra caps you can swap and whether you had them or not, it is as simple as flipping a dipswitch to make the capslock become a control key.
I know, but this auction doesn't say whether or not the extra keys or keycap puller are included.

So much for NIB!

Also, some of the later post-complicated-ALPS rebrands suck ****. The MAJIQ is one such example.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 20:49:30 »
The auctioned keyboard has early complicated white ALPS.  What you never know for sure is if it has the correct leafs which I'm going to refer to as Hanzo steel leafs.  Hanzo's have a less pronounced step on them which makes them smoother.  Some Blues and Some whites have them but not all.  Your best odds of finding some are stripping them out of a Leading Edge DC-2014, but I don't know if all of them had them.  I thought resistance would be at least 10g different between these and regular complicateds but it was identical as proven with a resistance gauge.  What was different is the feel of the switch as it goes over the tactile bump.

Hanzo leaf complicated on left, regular vintage complicated on right.  Both of these are complicated ALPS from keyboards made in the late 80's.  I opened them myself from Northgate 102 Gold Metal Label keyboards.  My Theory is that ALPS designs changed sometime from 1988-1990.  Color is not always an indicator of exactly what is inside and parts were mixed/matched so springs, sliders, leafs, etc could be inconsistent.  I heard from a reliable source that the switches were made in Japan earlier, then production moved to mainland Asia and some designs/tooling changed.  Later even more dramatic changes came to ALPS as other viriations came.  See the Wiki.

Venturing any further into ALPS will lead to madness, so most of you should just stick to MX key cap group buys if you want to keep your sanity.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 21:40:11 »
Quote from: REVENGE;601593
I know, but this auction doesn't say whether or not the extra keys or keycap puller are included.

So much for NIB!

Seller didn't actually say new, just in box. Rule of thumb if items aren't in the pics, they aren't included. I'll defer to didjamatic on the rest as he's forgotten more about alps than I've ever known.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 22:00:31 »
glad you're back Didja! Alps is a can of worms compared to cherry switches :confused:

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 22:06:56 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;601531
I have an Omnikey Ultra like the one linked to above.  Mine wasn't new but well cared for.  Love mine.

OK, not exactly, here is an old picture of mine. I really should take a new one with my new camera.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 22:19:38 »
Still awesome.  The backplate on a Northgate is the strongest ever made, well except for pre-1986 behemoths like IBM Beamsprings and the like.
You might even have Fukka ALPS in that guy which are freakin awesome.  I love Fukkas in my Ortek MCK-84's
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 May 2012, 22:22:25 by didjamatic »

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 23:50:18 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;601631
Seller didn't actually say new, just in box. Rule of thumb if items aren't in the pics, they aren't included. I'll defer to didjamatic on the rest as he's forgotten more about alps than I've ever known.
I was not referring to the seller, I was referring to the OP.
◕ ‿ ◕