Author Topic: [IC] Bean - Simple HHKB 60%  (Read 23057 times)

Offline Kingk22

• Naptime
[IC] Bean - Simple HHKB 60%
« on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 07:52:47 »
Bean

Simple MX-HHKB 60% with a soft and flexible typing feel

ic form

Prototype 1

Hi geekhack, I was recently on the hunt for a board that fit my very specific wants and after a fruitless search I decided to make my own and so, Bean was born.

Details

layout: mx-hhkb, fixed split backspace, fixed split right shift, support for fixed/stepped caps lock
plate/mounting: aluminium half plate, 4 point top mount
typing angle: 6.9 degrees
front height: 14.94mm typing height from bottom of case to the front of r4 keycaps
materials: 6063 aluminium case and half plate, copper rear accent
colours: black case, red plate, red pcb, raw copper accent
pcb: custom 1.2mm pcb designed by Zephyraeon, horizontal flex cuts, usb-c, mx/alps support
kit weight: approximately 800g (case + plate + pcb)

price: under 350usd (high estimate at a very low moq)
sale type: tbc

Plate Design and Mounting

With forced split backspace and split right shift, the board has an almost completely symmetrical layout, allowing for 2 evenly spaced plate mounting points on the top and bottom to give an even typing feel across the board. The impact of this isn't as noticable due to most of the keys being unsupported with the half plate but it gives the mods a pleasant feel.

The other main consideration was the spacebar, a lot of material has been removed under the key as well as a large cutout coming from the bottom, making the switch relatively unsupported and avoiding a harsh bottom out.

Prototype Issues

As expected, there were a couple of issues with the prototype.

1. plate screws hitting the inside of the bottom case - something I didn't account for in the initial design, redesign has already been done to accomodate, pending second prototype

2. rear case screw holes are too tight - the current hole size is too small for the socket head screws i'm intending on using so the diameter will be increased to at least accommodate for that, still considering whether or not to make them much larger for better screwdriver compatibility

3. usb port hole position - still need to confirm final port positioning with another round of PCB protos, currently a cable will plug in fine but the port isn't exactly centred

A second prototype will be on the way shortly.

Images

More Renders

Questions?

Feel free ask any questions you have or leave any feedback that's on your mind.

I'm also reachable on Discord at Kingk22#2222, updates about this project will be posted in this thread and on my discord server.

ic form
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 November 2020, 09:18:28 by Kingk22 »

Offline Kingk22

• Naptime
Re: [IC] Bean - Simple HHKB 60%
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 07:53:24 »
reserved for sam

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 07:53:37 »
.ooooh yes

Great to see a passion project coming to fruition; it's honestly just refreshing and a joy reading someone who's obviously put a lot of time and love to their work.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 November 2020, 07:59:34 by Agilr »

Offline yoot

• none
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 07:54:09 »
Yes.

Offline goddream

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 07:54:32 »
helo bean is very beautiful board, ever since i saw your post on geekhack i must have it. If you are running a private run i would like to be in it my friend
Rei XT-60 | Endash | KHDD | Jinsoul | Tengu | PC Dolphin | Nunu | Hyphen | Mc65 | Unikorn | Dahyun | CARDBORD

Offline BapoDonu

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 07:55:35 »
B E A N
E
A
N

Offline toastyAU

• the breadcat
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 07:57:08 »
hello, please bean dn

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Dolphin v3 | En Dash | Hyphen | Isla | Zenith | Jules | HHKB Pro 2

Offline Sycomore

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 07:58:36 »
Give me pc half plate or give me death

Offline Avocadough

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 08:00:16 »
beans  :-*

Offline gilbert

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 08:04:58 »
i like beans
Collection: F1.69, G80-5K, Bliss TKL, Ecliptica, Cypher, Safa S588, Southpaw Fullsize, HHKB Pro2, Zenith G80-1192HAD

Offline of_sam

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 08:11:22 »
Oh man this is great. Nice job  ;)
Typing on: HHKB Pro 2 - Stock :aware:
Collection: F1.69, Police, Jubi, RF 87U, En Dash, Rosenthal, Soulless, Frog, Calliope, GAF 910, Sabre, W1-AT

Offline MilkTea_QAQ

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 08:11:45 »
Seems a bit overpriced when compared to other hhkb/60% board

Offline dingusxmcgee

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 08:15:00 »
The perfect companion to Paw!

Offline thestrayed

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 08:20:52 »
Noice

Offline Badmutha

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 08:29:23 »
+1 for superior layout and half plate

In conclusion, take my money.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 February 2021, 11:33:54 by Badmutha »

Offline huey

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 08:44:09 »
Interesting project going on.

I'm curious as to how much room you are leaving between the bottom of the PCB and the top of the bottoms tray. Having a 1.2mm PCB with a flex cut is going to result in a fair amount of movement, for sure.
Considering you have functional proto and haven't run into any issues of pins hitting the tray; I'm assuming that there is ample room?

Also, It'd be a real shame if this got even close to 400usd if it were to go to GB.

Best of luck with your IC!

Offline marcofriedrichs

• Discord: Marco#8888
    • marcofriedrichs.com
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 08:47:27 »
nice, very cute

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 08:52:10 »
this should be like $250 max, not close to $400.

Offline Kingk22

• Naptime
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 09:00:14 »

I'm curious as to how much room you are leaving between the bottom of the PCB and the top of the bottoms tray. Having a 1.2mm PCB with a flex cut is going to result in a fair amount of movement, for sure.
Considering you have functional proto and haven't run into any issues of pins hitting the tray; I'm assuming that there is ample room?

Also, It'd be a real shame if this got even close to 400usd if it were to go to GB.

Thanks for the concern. there's 3-4.7mm of space between the bottom of the PCB and the inside of the case depending on which row you look at, there is a decent amount of movement but with the PCB installed and soldered there's no contact under normal typing pressure. As expected, it is relatively easy to cause a short by pressing with a bit more pressure but i've been told this can be mitigated with some paper under the PCB to insulate.

I have been considering increasing the internal clearance but there isn't much room towards the bottom rows due to the low front height, I will be doing further testing with proto 2 and with some other people to ensure it won't be an issue with the final boards.

Regarding pricing, I hate ICs that give an unrealistic price estimate and while I'm faily confident I can be comfortably under 400usd, I've given the very upper pricing limit based on a low quantitiy run.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 November 2020, 09:31:15 by Kingk22 »

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 09:11:17 »
very cute, nice!

Offline huey

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 09:54:56 »

Thanks for the concern. there's 3-4.7mm of space between the bottom of the PCB and the inside of the case depending on which row you look at, there is a decent amount of movement but with the PCB installed and soldered there's no contact under normal typing pressure. As expected, it is relatively easy to cause a short by pressing with a bit more pressure but i've been told this can be mitigated with some paper under the PCB to insulate.

I have been considering increasing the internal clearance but there isn't much room towards the bottom rows due to the low front height, I will be doing further testing with proto 2 and with some other people to ensure it won't be an issue with the final boards.

Regarding pricing, I hate ICs that give an unrealistic price estimate and while I'm faily confident I can be comfortably under 400usd, I've given the very upper pricing limit based on a low quantitiy run.

That sounds good to me man, as long as under relatively normal typing pressure everything is a-ok then there's no cause for change imo. The low front height(to R4) just gave me a slight bit of concern.
Do update us on the progress of future protos though! :thumb:

Regarding the price; I absolutely agree with you on unrealistic prices. I'd suggest shying away from stating a price in a fresh IC waiting it out until you have scaled quotes from your manu/vendor involvement, all to avoid some unsavory comments that have already been posted.

May I suggest some more colour options? Avail options like silver and grey will go a long way for me at least.

Offline MilkTea_QAQ

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 10:00:16 »
I do remember that Polaris was about 300+ only, sth higher than that are completely unrealistic in my opinion. With that kind of weight draws me back from buying this mech, some pricing are needed to change to make it affordable. The design is good enough and doesn’t rly needed to change and I’m cool with it. hope my above opinion will be helpful for you.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 10:09:23 »
I do remember that Polaris was about 300+ only, sth higher than that are completely unrealistic in my opinion. With that kind of weight draws me back from buying this mech, some pricing are needed to change to make it affordable. The design is good enough and doesn’t rly needed to change and I’m cool with it. hope my above opinion will be helpful for you.

polaris was an ultra high production board, this is (im assuming) not

400ish is standard pricing for custom keyboards and has been for a very long time
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Ivánobeatzzz

• Viva er beti
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 10:28:04 »
I do like  :eek:

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 11:34:30 »
Treeleaf approved good job I rly like it
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline sirieous

• help
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 11:44:04 »
Oh **** yeah. I'd love me one of these

Offline aslanxdeft

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 12:47:35 »
What makes the pricing so high? Feel like it should be in the ballpark of let's say a gskt. The design is simple and shouldn't cost a lot to manufacture.

Offline catamscott

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 13:46:06 »
this looks really, really nice. simple, but thoughtfully designed. if i could use hhkb layout i'd definitely be all over this

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 14:07:42 »

400ish is standard pricing for custom keyboards and has been for a very long time

not for a keyboard like this

Offline catamscott

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 14:15:11 »
What makes the pricing so high? Feel like it should be in the ballpark of let's say a gskt. The design is simple and shouldn't cost a lot to manufacture.

i don't think op even really knows what the price will be, only says they're aiming for under 400. depending on manu and moq price will vary greatly. gskt was priced well, but also had an initial moq of 200. is gskt was limited to 50 units or so it likely would have been quite a bit more, or so i imagine.

Offline beigeandbrown

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 14:51:56 »
any possibility of adding lighting support of some kind? At the least just through hole led? I'm a real sucker for using led window keycaps for things like caps, esc, and function.

Offline yoniwolf1202

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 15:40:58 »
Can we get more beans? Love the board, GLWIC!

Offline aslanxdeft

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 16:14:27 »

i don't think op even really knows what the price will be, only says they're aiming for under 400. depending on manu and moq price will vary greatly. gskt was priced well, but also had an initial moq of 200. is gskt was limited to 50 units or so it likely would have been quite a bit more, or so i imagine.
I mean the theo60 was limited to 30 boards and was really well priced just as another example.

Offline 002_GT

• KR Boards OP
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 16:28:34 »
BEANTIME
E
A
N
T
I
M
E

Offline chamelemon_64

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 16:38:30 »
Cant wait for my special silver bean

love this  ;D

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 16:54:31 »
Bean me!

Offline CAZ

• Project Manager for Switchkeys
    • Switchkeys AU
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 17:08:49 »
Beautiful board, always happy to see projects that the designers actually care about make it into IC. Keep up the great work man.

Offline Kingk22

• Naptime
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 18:05:18 »
any possibility of adding lighting support of some kind? At the least just through hole led? I'm a real sucker for using led window keycaps for things like caps, esc, and function.

If there's enough interest I may consider some indicator LEDs on caps lock/esc.

That sounds good to me man, as long as under relatively normal typing pressure everything is a-ok then there's no cause for change imo. The low front height(to R4) just gave me a slight bit of concern.
Do update us on the progress of future protos though! :thumb:

Regarding the price; I absolutely agree with you on unrealistic prices. I'd suggest shying away from stating a price in a fresh IC waiting it out until you have scaled quotes from your manu/vendor involvement, all to avoid some unsavory comments that have already been posted.

May I suggest some more colour options? Avail options like silver and grey will go a long way for me at least.

Colour options are unlikely, as I mentioned in the OP, I wanted to make a board that fit my own very specific wants and black was part of that.

To address your comment and all the others on pricing, I do have multiple quotes from my manu and as I mentioned earlier the price estimate given is a very high estimate, this is based on an extremely low MOQ because I'm undecided on how I'll end up running this board.

Given that, I think it's a bit unfair to compare the price estimate to boards like the Polaris or GSKT that were priced at and sold at 10x the quantity I'm planning.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 November 2020, 18:08:28 by Kingk22 »

Offline would?

• Formerly wouldworks
    • Finder Works
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 18:46:43 »
nice work brother; good luck with the second round of PCBs

Offline srxl

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 18:48:19 »
very cute, very pog, glwgb
polaris hhkb | endash
waiting on: kepler fc65, tsukuyomi

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 18:48:21 »
my cat's name is Bean so I feel obligated to purchase one.

Looks good, very cute design on the back.
I love Elzy

Offline JonoColwell

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 18:54:54 »
Looks very nice, I'll be looking for one for my collection, probably as a shelf queen though because I need numpad for my work flow

For y'all complaining about price, if it's too expensive for you you're not the target market. Get some prototypes and manufactured boards made then come back and complain about other people's pricing.

Offline BirgusLatro

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 21:18:52 »
Beans yes

Offline aslanxdeft

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 09:54:39 »
Looks very nice, I'll be looking for one for my collection, probably as a shelf queen though because I need numpad for my work flow

For y'all complaining about price, if it's too expensive for you you're not the target market. Get some prototypes and manufactured boards made then come back and complain about other people's pricing.
That's not how it works buddy. You can complain about things just by comparing it to other, similar things

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 10:42:05 »

That's not how it works buddy. You can complain about things just by comparing it to other, similar things
Seriously. I have no opinion about the price, but this is an IC. This is where the criticism needs to happen. Chastising other potential buyers for their issues in the product during IC phase is not a good practice.

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 12:01:56 »
Bean is cute, but probably not for me.
Hhkb good. I like the low front height and the typing angle.
But if we are ballparking $400 I'd rather just spend the extra $50 and get something with a bit more heft and a little more rinterwsting and efined like the Kei.

The emblem on this reminds me of the back of the Southpaw75 v2
Not crazy about that seam.
Nothing about this really stands out to me. Maybe consider spicing it up a bit with something like a copper plate, copper seam around where the cases meet, or even a little copper bean on the topside?

GLWIC

Offline aslanxdeft

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 12:42:44 »

Seriously. I have no opinion about the price, but this is an IC. This is where the criticism needs to happen. Chastising other potential buyers for their issues in the product during IC phase is not a good practice.
As you said it's an IC. I'm just voicing my personal opinion about the price. I'm not trying to deter anyone from buying it.

Offline Bachoo

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 13:19:07 »
Very cute, and also very clean

Offline zoo

• zoo
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 15:01:02 »
thoughtful design  :thumb:

Offline BIG_BUCKNUT

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 22:13:11 »