Author Topic: The down side of being big?  (Read 3468 times)

Offline atarione

The down side of being big?
« on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 22:28:41 »
blah blah ... f*ck off Scandinavians I know y'all are gigantic  ;D

I'm pretty big by standard American Standards standing 6'2" and about 260lbs~ .. for some reason drunk people seem perfectly comfortable acting like they are my best friends on earth ..even though I don't know them at all..and being well into my personal space.

just happened today drunk dude at a bar getting all into my personal space.... I mean I could pretty easily have forced him out of my area... if I wanted.. but meh... pretty funny cause drunk dudes buddy was clearly terrified I was about to get pissed off .. which I wasn't.. I can handle myself in a "situation" and honestly drunk dude clearly wasn't one.. just all up in my face....   so as usual I have to be all "patient" with drunk dude...

If I ever actually get mad.. people act like it is a god damn war crime.. so over the years I have adopted the "gentle giant" mentality ... trying very consciously not to scare smaller humans.. obviously especially ladies.

I don't think it is entirely fair that apparently because I'm bigger than most people I can't get pissed without people acting like it is the end of the world but whatever...  It is easier to stay chill unless absolutely absolutely necessary ..  so I put up with drunk dude basically all up in my face.. in fairness I had next to zero concern ... as in a second I could level said drunk dude and his buddies if need came... so I just let it slide...

but when is it ok to say "**** the **** off, or I will **** you the **** up?" 

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: The down side of being big?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 23:18:26 »
People always ask you to lift heavy **** for them, not realizing most big dudes have bad backs from always being asked to lift heavy ****.

Offline atarione

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 23:20:40 »
People always ask you to lift heavy **** for them, not realizing most big dudes have bad backs from always being asked to lift heavy ****.

TRUTH.. my back is well ****ed at this point.  ;D

Offline Kavik

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 11:47:04 »
Not quite related, but the trick to not hurting one's back while lifting things is to never bend AND twist the back at the same time; this is what causes vertebral discs to bulge and explode. Always turn with the feet and never the trunk when holding or lifting something heavy.

As far as getting angry, you'll probably just have to bear the same burden as Superman. His powers mean he can never for one second lose his temper because he'd destroy everything. Or maybe you could disable yourself, say, cut off a leg; then you'd be less intimidating.

But in all seriousness, I don't know if there's any way around it.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 12:08:45 »
It's probably best to be approachable and have people feel safe around you. Some people would sacrifice more than personal space to have that effect on others.

Drunk people do tend to be less conscious of whether or not their actions are making others uncomfortable, so it is good to be clear, if after 10 or 15 seconds they're still up in your grille, kindly let them know you need space.

An upside to being big - you usually only need to seriously threaten once for everyone in the immediate vicinity to get the idea. This was a tactic my coach taught me as a defender in football/soccer. The first tackle you make on their striker or creator, make it hurt. The rest of the game, they will be hesitant

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 12:59:34 »
I know women here that are taller than you :p .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 14:15:34 »

...and heavier too!

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 14:32:05 »

...and heavier too!
drunk people love coming up and rubbing her beard

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 14:47:25 »
Hah - I know this problem. 

I assume you're around college age?  I don't get this much anymore now that I'm not in bar/party type situations much anymore, and everyone around me knows me well. 

I do still get the unwelcome remarks about my height at the store though, those are always fun.  :rolleyes:

As for needing to be nicer and calmer, I really don't take issue with that.  It's probably helped make me more level-headed overall as a person, and it means that the infrequent times I do get angry are taken more seriously (since they were worth bringing up / making a deal out of). 

What gets me more is when people sometimes assume that tall people are angrier or should be feared for some reason.  I didn't even do anything, don't hate me.  :(

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 15:54:36 »
Hah - I know this problem. 

I assume you're around college age?  I don't get this much anymore now that I'm not in bar/party type situations much anymore, and everyone around me knows me well. 

I do still get the unwelcome remarks about my height at the store though, those are always fun.  :rolleyes:

As for needing to be nicer and calmer, I really don't take issue with that.  It's probably helped make me more level-headed overall as a person, and it means that the infrequent times I do get angry are taken more seriously (since they were worth bringing up / making a deal out of). 

What gets me more is when people sometimes assume that tall people are angrier or should be feared for some reason.  I didn't even do anything, don't hate me.  :(
Hoff is my tall man role model  :-*
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 17:57:25 »
I'm fat, not tall, but I can assume this goes for them as well.

Finding affordable clothes that fit. Dem big and tall clothes are expensive as ****.
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 20:40:44 »
Also little drunk people always wanna fight the biggest guy at the bar regardless if they even know how to fight or not. A bit of a Napoleon complex(who btw was 5'7, not short by any real standards) with these little men, usually under 5'5 who always want to prove they aren't little men by fighting the biggest one around for no reason at all. I remember once I was waiting for the T and this small man kept trying to get me to fight him. A total stranger while I was minding my own business. He wound up leaping on my back trying to choke me out and I just flipped him over my head slamming him on the ground. He totally stretched out the collar of my good shirt. Total ****ing ****head.

Offline atarione

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 23:12:18 »
I'm fat, not tall, but I can assume this goes for them as well.

Finding affordable clothes that fit. Dem big and tall clothes are expensive as ****.

truth... unless you go to Khol's and get some random made up bar tshirts for like $10  in my case I can usually get away with 2XL which winds up not quite being B&T shop Territory   however XLT is better but harder to find without dolling out mad cash at the big and Tall store.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 07:58:48 »
1m97 and about 100kg here. Convert that into your toes and elbows stupid ass measurements.

On top of my head, the downside of being tall/big :
- Finding a car I am comfortable driving (EU car are not huge like NA ones)
- The mirrors in my appartment stops belows my chin, I have to lean to see my face in it
- sinks are under my waist level, I have to lean again to wash dishes or anything
- regular bed are too small, I sleep diagonally in a bed that is already larger than usual
- small drunk people sometimes want to beef with you 'coz they have something to prove
- shoes & clothes most of the time don't fit

But I have excellent view at shows so it's all good  :thumb:
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 09:06:43 »
1m97 and about 100kg here. Convert that into your toes and elbows stupid ass measurements.

On top of my head, the downside of being tall/big :
- Finding a car I am comfortable driving (EU car are not huge like NA ones)
- The mirrors in my appartment stops belows my chin, I have to lean to see my face in it
- sinks are under my waist level, I have to lean again to wash dishes or anything
- regular bed are too small, I sleep diagonally in a bed that is already larger than usual
- small drunk people sometimes want to beef with you 'coz they have something to prove
- shoes & clothes most of the time don't fit

But I have excellent view at shows so it's all good  :thumb:

I'd much rather convert my stupid-ass measurement to your logical one.  :P  I'm 2.03m (would you guys really say 2m03 rather than 2.03m? seems strange to me) and 115kg (working on that one :rolleyes:). 

You might be surprised by how difficult it is to find a suitable car in the US, despite how massive they are.  Ever since everything went to the "cockpit" style interiors maybe a decade ago, the space inside is incredibly limited.  Stupidest thing about our peacocking auto industry IMO - make the car bigger and harder to maneuver, but also somehow smaller inside??  smh.  Although maybe that has more to do with all the added airbags and safety features?  Hadn't considered that before, so maybe it does make sense... 
The other gripe I have is that most cars have great leg room but terrible headroom.  I do not want to drive a car where my head is a few cm from the ceiling, because if it rolls I'm dead.  :O

Everything you said is so true.  :D  I finally got a California King bed a few years ago and it has been a life-changer.  So much room for activities!

The view at shows is definitely nice, but the "under the breath" comments from those behind me is not so nice.  :(

Still wouldn't change it though, I'm so used to this and I'm sure there would be some downsides to being smaller than I'm not aware of. 

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 09:09:46 »
Cheese-grating my knuckles on the low popcorn ceilings of my house  :'( :'( :'(

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 09:11:28 »
Cheese-grating my knuckles on the low popcorn ceilings of my house  :'( :'( :'(

Noooooo, I hate that one...  :'(  So glad I don't have those ceilings anymore.  Or ceiling fans.  :))

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 09:21:04 »
Hoff you seem to be in the big torso tall guy category ain't you ?

I can see how driving with only a few cm from the ceilling is dangerous. Also you can barely see ****.
What lenght of pants are you wearing ? Myself I wear L36 or L38 (hard to find).
Leg room was such an issue for cars I considered for a while removing the driver seat and driving from the back seat.

If I hear comments about people at shows I offer them to get in front of me. But usually I just have a large empty area behind me :D

Yeah same I enjoy it actually even it's often annoying to always have to consider "will I fit ? ", "is it big enough ? "

Funniest for me was Japan, the world is already midget sized for me, but in Japan it was something else :D
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Macmutant

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 09:46:09 »
I'm about your size, though I've lost 30 pounds this past year, so down to 6'2", 235. I'm also legally blind, so that adds another wrinkle. People want to come up to me because I'm big, but they are also sometimes super curious about my low vision and white cane. Most of the time, I'm fine with it. As long as people are good-natured, it's usually fine. If I ever do become stressed out, I just remove myself. Neither my wife nor I are fond of crowds, so I don't often find myself dealing with uncomfortable personal space issues. The main thing I've found that helps, is to practice self care. If you get stressed out by these situations, it may help to find ways to relax a little (for me, it's usually Peloton or Netflix). Talk things out with someone you feel comfortable discussing such matters with. You may have already considered this, but is it possible that people freak out when you get mad because it seems out of character? Like you're usually super calm, so when you raise your voice, it's a notable event.

I hope find a balance that works for you. Drunk people can be super annoying.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 10:17:43 »
Hoff you seem to be in the big torso tall guy category ain't you ?

I can see how driving with only a few cm from the ceilling is dangerous. Also you can barely see ****.
What lenght of pants are you wearing ? Myself I wear L36 or L38 (hard to find).
Leg room was such an issue for cars I considered for a while removing the driver seat and driving from the back seat.

If I hear comments about people at shows I offer them to get in front of me. But usually I just have a large empty area behind me :D

Yeah same I enjoy it actually even it's often annoying to always have to consider "will I fit ? ", "is it big enough ? "

Funniest for me was Japan, the world is already midget sized for me, but in Japan it was something else :D

I may have a longer torso than most tall people, but I don't think it's oddly tall - I consider myself fairly proportional, while it seems that many tall people have longer legs than torsos (proportionally).  (Typing that out it seems oddly like bragging, which isn't my intent.  :-[ )

My pants are L38, but for some cuts I could get away with L36 though I don't prefer that.  I've found one website that has well-fitting products that I like, and now I just stick with that.  Thank goodness for tall-oriented brands and the internet!

Hahaha, that's a common joke I hear from people.  "Just take the front seat out and drive from the back!" 

Ohhh, I can imagine!  I was in China about ten years ago, and it was like being a celebrity.  Tall and white?!  Everyone wanted a picture.  :))  There was much crouching during that trip.  :P

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 11:02:30 »
Sintpinty is really small. 5 foot 1.

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 02:50:01 »
Ohhh, I can imagine!  I was in China about ten years ago, and it was like being a celebrity.  Tall and white?!  Everyone wanted a picture.  :))  There was much crouching during that trip.  :p

For what I heard if you had a maternal twin and a read head you would have been idolised (and your brother too)  :)
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 04:46:10 »
You might be surprised by how difficult it is to find a suitable car in the US, despite how massive they are.
Yes, we were wondering about this when we had an SUV on our trip to the US (and also South Africa actually). They were twice as big as a normal car, but tiny inside, much smaller even than a normal sedan. We couldn't figure out where all the space was going! xD
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 06:38:34 »
I would think that flying coach would be next to impossible for large framed people.