Author Topic: Modified TKL layout  (Read 5299 times)

Offline BorutP

Modified TKL layout
« on: Thu, 02 March 2023, 04:27:08 »
So I made mayself a testing key bed for keyboard circuit.
While making it, I got some discussion points:

Why is there still odd quarter stagger used, since there is no mechanical linkages of typewriter?
Would you even notice if the stagger is constant half of unit?

If we reduce the sizes of large keys, we can do it without key stabilizers. Also this reduces tooling costs for making keycaps.
Are two sizes of keys enough? Is 1,5 size keycap too big for ctrl and alt keys? Should there be there also 1,25 size key?

This is the blasphemy I have created:
297095-0
89 mechanical keys, 88 electric (split spacebar with parallel connection)
Please ignore the quality of printing.

Offline Findecanor

Re: Modified TKL layout
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 March 2023, 05:28:10 »
Personally, I think that if the stagger should be adjusted, it should be to a uniform 0.375 unit — and symmetrically on both sides.

Having the keys on the outskirts of the typing area be larger makes them easier to hit with your pinkies. Many people dislike having small Backspace keys and some hate the small left Shift key of the ISO layouts. See also Fitt's law for theory about this.

Offline Maledicted

Re: Modified TKL layout
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 March 2023, 18:14:11 »
I like that abomination more than 60% with no dedicated arrow keys, lol. Other boards have seen the wisdom of smaller caps to eliminate the need for stabilizers. TG3's old cop keyboards and their other boards that share the layout only have stabilized spacebars.

I do agree that most keys could be shortened. For some reason, I don't mind 1u backspace keys on vintage boards, and quite like 60% if it at least has dedicated arrow keys.

297102-0

I exclusively use the right shift key as well.

I thought I had read somewhere that staggering was also an ergonomic consideration, which makes sense to me.