Author Topic: [GB] Polaris - GB Complete  (Read 242361 times)

Offline Brez1623

Re: [GB] Polaris - Shipping
« Reply #400 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 19:55:56 »
i'm curious on the typing experience... is there any? it looks really firm from all the foam in between the plate/pcb and the bottom of the case (probably can remove the foam but not sure how it will affect the sound).

Taeha Types streamed his build and has a typing test at the end you could check out to see how the typing experience is. The vod should still be on twitch or his youtube channel

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #401 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 20:05:09 »
i'm curious on the typing experience... is there any? it looks really firm from all the foam in between the plate/pcb and the bottom of the case (probably can remove the foam but not sure how it will affect the sound).

Putting the foam in the case and between the plate and PCB definitely firms up the experience. It will give slightly, but if you want the experience to be more flexible, I would suggest leaving the foam out (although I LOVE the sound with the foam)

Offline freespam

« Reply #402 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 00:06:50 »

Putting the foam in the case and between the plate and PCB definitely firms up the experience. It will give slightly, but if you want the experience to be more flexible, I would suggest leaving the foam out (although I LOVE the sound with the foam)

How much does the foam change the sound?

Offline Tekniqs

« Reply #403 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 02:24:35 »

watch nathan's build video. he tries it out with and without foam and without the bottom weight for some reason lol

Offline donkey

« Reply #404 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 11:32:47 »

IMO plate foam reduces noise and variations. Case foam reduces reverb and volume. So I use plate foam in all of my board but case foam is not used unless I need to reduce sound or switches used doesn't sound great. For example, a case foam is used in my Tealios board but not in my Cream board.

My current plan is to go with Tealios in the full-brass plate 'gentlemen' build using both foams. I also ordered an FR-4 half-plate and spare PCB for the 'flex and clacks' build with which I'll be using Black Inks and no foams.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 March 2020, 11:48:32 by donkey »

Offline Novafish

« Reply #405 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 21:30:35 »
tfw people with poly plates get theirs before yours with a brass one   :(

Offline freespam

« Reply #406 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 22:56:51 »

IMO plate foam reduces noise and variations. Case foam reduces reverb and volume. So I use plate foam in all of my board but case foam is not used unless I need to reduce sound or switches used doesn't sound great. For example, a case foam is used in my Tealios board but not in my Cream board.

My current plan is to go with Tealios in the full-brass plate 'gentlemen' build using both foams. I also ordered an FR-4 half-plate and spare PCB for the 'flex and clacks' build with which I'll be using Black Inks and no foams.

That makes sense.  I'm going for an ultra quiet build so I'll probably be using both pieces of foam and zilents.

Offline freespam

« Reply #407 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 23:07:28 »
tfw people with poly plates get theirs before yours with a brass one   :(

I ordered brass and just got my shipping notification  :)...I guess they're still working through it.  Hope you get yours soon.

Offline ai03

• I do not reply to PMs; contact me via website
    • Website
« Reply #408 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 04:26:50 »
Quick status update:

• FR4 ETA that the factory gave is end of this month, although I am not too sure about it being met. Likely sometime in April due to the manpower shortages going on at the factories.
  • Poly plates are starting to ship out along with the brass plate units.
  • Poly cases are finishing up the last bits of production that didn't complete before the chaos hit.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #409 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 04:52:30 »
I am a little out of the loop; is there an ETA on the european shipping ban? No stress if there isn't.

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #410 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 04:53:25 »
I am a little out of the loop; is there an ETA on the european shipping ban? No stress if there isn't.

So far I haven't heard anything from KBDfans regarding an end date; will post here if I hear of it in the future.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #411 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 04:55:08 »
Appreciate the update.
Going by the current build VODs, the sound dampening works wonders. Regardless of when it arrives I will be looking forward to the build:thumb:

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #412 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 15:00:52 »

Built, but a bit disappointed. I got the PC Half plate, and originally built it without foam because I dislike foaming boards. Felt and sounded great...
... Apart from the homerow and the row beneath it. It kept hitting the bottom of the case, I assume it is because the half pc plate isn't enough to support the rows.

Had to foam the bottom, it's still OK but I much prefered it without foam.

Offline freespam

« Reply #413 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 23:40:35 »
Appreciate the update.
Going by the current build VODs, the sound dampening works wonders. Regardless of when it arrives I will be looking forward to the build:thumb:

My wait is over :D

I wanted a quiet daily driver for work and built mine with both foam dampeners, polycarb plate (forgot I ordered an extra plate along with brass), and silent switches.  I love it!!!  It sounds clean without the reverb my other boards have...by far my quietest board among many silent builds.

Offline donkey

« Reply #414 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 12:07:30 »
... Apart from the homerow and the row beneath it. It kept hitting the bottom of the case, I assume it is because the half pc plate isn't enough to support the rows.

Hmm. I guess my FR-4 half-plate will have similar problems. I'm going to:

1. Add a layer of paper to prevent shorting.
2. Covering the slit with duct tape with some toothpicks as support if needed. 
3. If nothing works, use epoxy to fill in the slit and add support columns to make up for PCB being too thin.

UPDATE: Simplest compromise solution may be to cut up the case foam so only the part that actually touches the case will have foam under it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 March 2020, 12:10:14 by donkey »

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #415 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 13:49:48 »

3. If nothing works, use epoxy to fill in the slit and add support columns to make up for PCB being too thin.

UPDATE: Simplest compromise solution may be to cut up the case foam so only the part that actually touches the case will have foam under it.

It doesn't short when it hits the bottom of the case, it's just very harsh and sounds horrible. A piece of paper won't remove that.

I didn't cover anything with duct tape, I just like to enjoy boards like they are, which is also why I didn't want to foam. :P

Regarding FR-4, it's a lot sturdier than PC, maybe you won't have the issue at all.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #416 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 18:32:10 »

You can also double-sided tape foam (or anything, a thin and dense rubber mat would be nice too I bet) to the underside of the PCB, pretty common on old Korean boards.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline donkey

« Reply #417 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 22:36:39 »
Cool. I'll try that also. Thx.

Offline TheMnBN

« Reply #418 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 01:04:12 »

Built, but a bit disappointed. I got the PC Half plate, and originally built it without foam because I dislike foaming boards. Felt and sounded great...

I built mine with a PC half plate also and don't seem to have this issue. I'd say I'm a moderately heavy typist and I bottom out quite often. Regarding the foams, I did use the mid foam but left out the bottom foam. The board is really bouncy to type on and has a lot of flex with this config. Sounds is top notch for me too.  :D

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #419 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 02:39:51 »
An update from KBDfans' side:

tl;dr: A majority of international shipping is being halted for the time being due to the global situation.

As for production progress:

- One batch of FR4 plates has been fully remanufactured; the rest of the variants are currently finishing up.
- I never received word about this, but PC cases seem to be shipping out now as well.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #420 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 14:01:59 »
Thanks for the update, AI03. Glad I paid the extra for DHL now.

What's the status on boards with PC plates? I suppose those are still slowly shipping as I haven't received tracking yet.

Offline stroodl

« Reply #421 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 14:22:07 »
I ordered two aluminum boards with a poly full plate and haven't received any updates on it. Should I be expecting it to ship soon? I am in the US.

Offline zian_

« Reply #422 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 15:04:10 »
I ordered two aluminum boards with a poly full plate and haven't received any updates on it. Should I be expecting it to ship soon? I am in the US.

I wouldn't expect it anytime soon tbh.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #423 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 18:37:28 »

Offline 01saleencobra

« Reply #424 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 22:37:04 »
any available still or anyone have a case theyd like to sell? prefer white or black, thanks

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #425 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 08:26:37 »
any available still or anyone have a case theyd like to sell? prefer white or black, thanks

try /r/mechmarket. I have seen a few pop up already

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #426 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 00:21:32 »
What's the status on boards with PC plates? I suppose those are still slowly shipping as I haven't received tracking yet.

I believe either all or at least a significant portion is simply awaiting packing, sorting, and shipping.

Similarly to the above, it is simply taking a while to sort and ship out so many boards.

Offline AIRPOTTER

• Owner of Gray Studio
« Reply #427 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 00:28:07 »

I believe either all or at least a significant portion is simply awaiting packing, sorting, and shipping.

Similarly to the above, it is simply taking a while to sort and ship out so many boards.

Hell of a GB! Looks great and congrats again!

Offline NoxNoxNox

« Reply #428 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 22:24:47 »
Is there an ETA on when Rose Gold WKL with brass plates should ship to US?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #429 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 11:35:43 »
looking to buy a kit if anyone is selling!

Offline lanyusea

« Reply #430 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 23:22:06 »
240085-0

I do love the design! especially the weights  :thumb:
HHKB Type-s / 4x KMAC Happy / 3x Duck Viper v1 / 2x Duck Viper v2 / 4x Duck Viper Duck TCV3 / Red Scarf 77 / 2x Infinity 60 / 2x ALF HHKB / LZ-CE / FJELL / Canoe / Canoe PC / Canoe FE / ARES Prototype / 2x Ares / LC-CLSh / TX60 / YODA2 / E6-V2 / E6-V2 FE / CAMP LC60 / 2x EM 7 / 4x Leaf 60 / UHK / Project F / Polaris / 4x Duck Viper v3 / TX60 v2 / Thermal / Matrix Falcon / TX60 v3 / 2x TMO50 / 2x Dolice / Dolphin 65 / Dolphin 60 / Plenty of keycaps

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #431 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 00:50:58 »
Wow, I didn't realize how massive those weights were. I'm impatiently waiting for mine still.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #432 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 08:54:32 »
*twiddles thumbs waiting for shipping notification

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #433 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 22:52:09 »
If anyone is looking to sell theirs please let me know. I'm looking for a grey WKL kit.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline neutralstate

« Reply #434 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 11:21:59 »
I just built my Polaris, and it feels and sounds so awesome.

Would like to give a shout out to ai03, kbdfans and all involved in the Polaris, it is truly an awesome product at an incredible price. Thank you!

Offline donkey

« Reply #435 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 14:55:40 »
Good for you.

I'm still waiting for mine. I think the extra FR4 half-plate in my order is preventing it from shipping.
Next time, I'm going to keep my order lean and simple. Less headache.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #436 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 18:44:10 »
I just built my Polaris, and it feels and sounds so awesome.

Would like to give a shout out to ai03, kbdfans and all involved in the Polaris, it is truly an awesome product at an incredible price. Thank you!

Truly incredible, not sure how they did it but it is very high valued board. Hope for more!

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #437 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 20:23:55 »
Still waiting on Polaris  :-[
[Mostly] Retired from Keyboards
Typing on: TKL One - Zealios v1 - 55g TX Springs, TX Films, Lubed with 205g0 - Xiami Beige Cadet + RGB
Collection: IDB60 (gone), Austere (gone), Matrix 1.2og (gone), Matrix 2.0add (gone), RS (so lit), Infinitum (gone), THRILL Proto (destroyed), Matrix 2.0add xmas Starry Night (gone), RS60 (traded), MC65 (traded), Jane v1 CE (gone), GSKT-00 (gone), TKL One Poly (returned), TKL One, RS60, Serenity Proto, Boulevard Proto

Offline Solotov

« Reply #438 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 21:11:56 »

Same for me  :-[

Does it ship according to who order number?
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #439 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 22:16:53 »

Originally assumed it was by config, but someone on Discord already received (and have had) the exact combination I ordered (rose gold, clear pvd, poly full plate, wkl), so that threw that theory out the window.
[Mostly] Retired from Keyboards
Typing on: TKL One - Zealios v1 - 55g TX Springs, TX Films, Lubed with 205g0 - Xiami Beige Cadet + RGB
Collection: IDB60 (gone), Austere (gone), Matrix 1.2og (gone), Matrix 2.0add (gone), RS (so lit), Infinitum (gone), THRILL Proto (destroyed), Matrix 2.0add xmas Starry Night (gone), RS60 (traded), MC65 (traded), Jane v1 CE (gone), GSKT-00 (gone), TKL One Poly (returned), TKL One, RS60, Serenity Proto, Boulevard Proto

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #440 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 00:10:11 »

Originally assumed it was by config, but someone on Discord already received (and have had) the exact combination I ordered (rose gold, clear pvd, poly full plate, wkl), so that threw that theory out the window.

Since I ordered on day 1 and still don't have mine or a shipping notification, I doubt it's by order number. I also bought expedited shipping though DHL. They are probably being sent out randomly.

Offline kekstee

« Reply #441 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 17:35:54 »
Show Image

Same experience for me. I want to see if I can source some thin rubber mat stuff or might end up rebuilding it with the pc full plate.
//e2 I've been testing it with foam on and off again, and while it's rather easy to bottom out it just doesn't happen in regular use for me. So I guess I can live with the most flexy option in the end.

241017-0

//e purple turned out amazing btw <3
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 April 2020, 18:05:35 by kekstee »

Offline KFOXE

« Reply #442 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:45:38 »
If anyone is selling a purple version with a regular top please hit me up.

Offline donkey

« Reply #443 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 11:49:01 »
- One batch of FR4 plates has been fully remanufactured; the rest of the variants are currently finishing up.

It's already end of April. When you get a chance, another status update would be appreciated. I'm particularly keen on hearing that FR4 plates are all done.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #444 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 14:25:05 »
Got my shipping notification for FR4 today, so the wait must not be long for the unlucky last ones.

Offline donkey

« Reply #445 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 15:59:07 »
Got my shipping notification for FR4 today, so the wait must not be long for the unlucky last ones.

That's great to hear. :-)

Offline koenoe

• My YouTube channel
« Reply #446 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 00:38:43 »

Since I ordered on day 1 and still don't have mine or a shipping notification, I doubt it's by order number. I also bought expedited shipping though DHL. They are probably being sent out randomly.

Yeah same here. I don’t think KBD is handling it very well, lol.

Offline Solotov

« Reply #447 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 01:45:40 »
Yeah, at least an update on fulfillment percentage would be great to know.
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline chaosen

« Reply #448 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 09:29:52 »
Would like to buy an HHKB if anyone is thinking of selling! Prefer Black / Silver / Rose Gold  ;D

Offline zian_

« Reply #449 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 15:00:32 »

Yeah same here. I don’t think KBD is handling it very well, lol.

Yeah me either. Their responses seem inconsistent as well. Probably won't join another GB through KBD again.