Author Topic: [IC] GMK WOB NORDEUK++ R2 - ( Awaiting quotes )  (Read 48958 times)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Re: [IC] GMK WOB NORDEUK++ R2 - VOTE NOW
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 00:22:35 »
ThinkCaps uses CP legends on CR, and White on Black uses WS1 legends on CR. Sorry to burst your bubble : (
I overlooked the fact that ThinkCaps uses CP, thanks for pointing that out.

With ThinkCaps, i know its close.. I personally spammed voodoo's IC, begging for a norde kit haha. Its just having the color stock caps in front of me. It will pop out if you mix legends in CP with WS1, imo
Yeah, I think it will be noticeable if you stare at it, but it's probably still worth it to include that key.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 August 2020, 06:07:41 by konstantin »

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 02:31:56 »
Yeah, I think it will be noticeable if you stare at it, but it's probably still worth it to include that key.

Yes, added it. :)

a couple of keys is properly fine and not too disturbing on the naked eye, but if anyone else here is planing to match this kit with ThinkCaps.
There will be a noticeable difference if you have a full language mixed with the ThinkCaps base. But it will be functional. 

The best is to GO vote for the norde kit, A standard nordeuk kit is up for vote in the thread :thumb:

ThinkCaps IC thread

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 02:47:16 »
I updated the KLE with the last missing keys.

A idea and proposal aswell could be running the UK keys as a separate kit? What do you think good lads?
Maybe we could see a price between 25-40€ for that ( guessing here ) Then the main big kit is under 80 keys, and still can be split two ways with more support. ;)

Added support for Iceland.
Added R5 Support

« Last Edit: Wed, 26 August 2020, 13:08:36 by RETURNISO »

Offline VXQN

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 05:07:26 »
Separate UK kit would be great! Would probably order 2 like I'm planning to with GMK Spacekeys.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 06:53:05 »
I updated the KLE with the last missing keys.

Added support for Iceland.
Added R5 Support

Show Image

There seems to be a lot of duplicate keys in that kit image. I'm assuming it's unintenderoni?

Offline soer9459

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 07:29:50 »
I honestly think you should stick to the R1 kit.
If you look at the votes, most people are either from UK, Scandinavia or Portugal, and people would probably rather pay a little more for a complete NordeUK++ kit, than having to buy an expensive kit that needs to be split up. Besides, not everyone will be able to find someone to split with, and would have to either eat the extra cost, or post on the aftermarket, and wait for someone to bite.

I think it's a good idea, but in practice I wonder if it's worth it

It seems that most people are from Scandinavia, UK and Portugal. Can we maybe get another update on the vote?
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2020, 09:25:07 by soer9459 »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 09:13:45 »
Truth be told, most people need 19 or fewer keycaps to cover a particular layout. Paying for many more would be hard to swallow.

Offline Prelim

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 09:23:00 »
I think we should stick with the Nordeuk++ classic kit (type C, as this discussion was already made in the previous GB) or re-struture the ++ in order to acommodate more languages and make a larger kit. Price-wise, the more the caps, the better cost of the kit per cap.

As ISO user and in order to allow more languages, I don't mind to pay for a larger kit. And due to the lack of foreign cap support, I think all the ISO fellows feel the same about this. The heart of Nordeuk++ GBs was all along this common effort for all the countries involved, not something you would buy only to cover your own interest caps and try to reduce it into a few caps kit.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2020, 09:27:53 by Prelim »
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline dorf

• divine creator
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 12:46:11 »
I think we should stick with the Nordeuk++ classic kit (type C, as this discussion was already made in the previous GB) or re-struture the ++ in order to acommodate more languages and make a larger kit. Price-wise, the more the caps, the better cost of the kit per cap.

As ISO user and in order to allow more languages, I don't mind to pay for a larger kit. And due to the lack of foreign cap support, I think all the ISO fellows feel the same about this. The heart of Nordeuk++ GBs was all along this common effort for all the countries involved, not something you would buy only to cover your own interest caps and try to reduce it into a few caps kit.  :thumb:

+1

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 18:19:21 »
Thanks for the feedback guys,

I know the kit is a little confusing, remember that it has potential to be split in 2 full layouts and between users from:
( BA, HR, RS, SI ) - ( PT ) - ( ISL, NO, SE, FL, DK, FO ) - ( DE ) + a option more to split it within Scandinavia, with one user choosing a cleaner numrow :) 

We need to include more country support and try something new if we are going to get this to a decent MOQ.

I am gonna let Iceland hang a bit in the kit G. If theres not to much more country submissions from iceland ill just remove it completely.
Votes are coming in.  much faster then last run  ^-^ That's already good news  :thumb:

In the meantime ill try to get some quotes on some of the proposed kits :thumb:

« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2020, 18:21:41 by RETURNISO »

Offline ggggggg

• schmeiß die forties durch den club
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 02:17:03 »
I honestly think you should stick to the R1 kit.
If you look at the votes, most people are either from UK, Scandinavia or Portugal, and people would probably rather pay a little more for a complete NordeUK++ kit, than having to buy an expensive kit that needs to be split up. Besides, not everyone will be able to find someone to split with, and would have to either eat the extra cost, or post on the aftermarket, and wait for someone to bite.

I think it's a good idea, but in practice I wonder if it's worth it

It seems that most people are from Scandinavia, UK and Portugal. Can we maybe get another update on the vote?

Et tu, Soer? Yes, the up-front investment is higher and yes, breaking up the kit is more work for the buyer but the beauty of the splittable kit G isn't that it's convenient. It's that it totally subverts GMK's current MOQ model (which arguably stifles innovation), affords the buyers to connect to other like-minded people outside of their local Discord bubble, and reach out to neglected, smaller communities.

Personally, I see myself struggling with wanting to needlessly preserve the integrity of collections of stuff that I buy. So even though I'm not likely to use a minila space bar I don't want to split a kit because I mIghT NEeD iT soMEDaY. I realise this is stupid, so taking part in NORDEUK+++ is also an exercise in letting things go, in working against a tendency to hoard small rectangles.

Consider the big kit, everyone!

Offline soer9459

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 05:56:33 »
Well, the problem lies in the fact, that if say 95% of people buying the kits are from scandinavia / UK, then how are we supposed to all unload keycaps specific to layouts with a tiny audience.

I don't know how the numbers work out, and I'll end of buying the kit regardless of the cost, but I think that the far majority of buyers will end up needlessly buying even more keys that they won't use. My point is that we should be careful to add support for layouts with little to no audience. I know that sucks for those people, but I think it's unreasonable, and would probably keep some buyers from purchasing the kit.

The last run of NordeUK++ was like 1.5 years ago. Maybe we should support the layouts that have major interest now, and wait for the community to grow further (in other countries as well). Then when a potential R3 comes along, we can start looking at the numbers again for which layouts are demanded.

Just my 2 cents  :)

Offline Pejano

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 17:01:28 »
With ThinkCaps, i know its close.. I personally spammed voodoo's IC, begging for a norde kit haha. Its just having the color stock caps in front of me. It will pop out if you mix legends in CP with WS1, imo
Are you able to post a photo with CP/CR vs. WS1/CR please?

Offline Prelim

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 04:56:45 »
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 09:19:37 »

Alphas are OG Cherry - very worn off - with CP legends and symbols are brand new caps with WS1. I got these nice caps from Mr. ReturnISO's GB.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 09:23:09 »
Here is another better picture for you to compare WS1 and CP legends.

Offline soer9459

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 01:31:58 »
Any chance we could get an update on the voting?

Thanks  :)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 05:16:19 »

Show Image

I can't really tell which is which, the main difference I see is new keys vs old shiny keys

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 10:58:59 »
I think the reason the accent kit is WS1 in ThinkCaps is to stand out from the rest of the legends ^-^

Here is a few potatoes. In indirect low light for a better reference  :thumb:

Mobile:

imho, if you mix them across a board with WS1 replacement keys, it's properly gonna stand out a bit as its more random with the key placement.
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 August 2020, 15:41:55 by RETURNISO »

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 11:07:05 »

Show Image

Alphas are OG Cherry - very worn off - with CP legends and symbols are brand new caps with WS1. I got these nice caps from Mr. ReturnISO's GB.

Sweeet u did it :thumb:, Now i need to figure out how to do one aswell ^-^

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 16:51:33 »

Show Image

I can't really tell which is which, the main difference I see is new keys vs old shiny keys
Show Image

Right. Legends are too thin to reveal the slight difference between WS1 and CP.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 05:33:43 »
I think the reason the accent kit is WS1 in ThinkCaps is to stand out from the rest of the legends ^-^

I think it's actually so that it can be mixed with other sets (e.g. WoB). I don't think the ThinkCaps accent kit is meant to be used with ThinkCaps itself.

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 05:53:04 »

I think it's actually so that it can be mixed with other sets (e.g. WoB). I don't think the ThinkCaps accent kit is meant to be used with ThinkCaps itself.

Haha, I thought i read in the beginning of the IC that the original keys where a brighter white to "stand out" and bonus was it was matching other wob sets, might have mixed that up ^-^

I think its more noticeable on the M and E on Ideus master layout here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107995.msg2950858#msg2950858
Numrow is harder to see it has more WS1 legends ( most of them are WS1 ) imo the noticeable difference is there and they will not match across a full board of keys. Mixing the keys is ofc totally up to the user :thumb:

« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2020, 06:02:59 by RETURNISO »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 07:37:27 »
MK lovers are, by definition, perfectionists. Knowing that my legends do not match does not make any more comfortable for me to look at them and say, well, nobody will notice the difference. It is a matter of knowing, more than seeing. Peace of mind?

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 13:54:04 »
MK lovers are, by definition, perfectionists. Knowing that my legends do not match does not make any more comfortable for me to look at them and say, well, nobody will notice the difference. It is a matter of knowing, more than seeing. Peace of mind?

Yea for sure! also one of the things i love about the community :thumb:

Trying to make it clear, is important to note if you are buying into this kit to go with ThinkCaps or other CP legends set. Its two different colors that we are dealing with thats all :thumb:
They may look closer to the naked eye in various lightning conditions and too ideus eyes ^-^  but they are still two different shade of white. One darker and one brighter.
So for people not knowing this i don't wanna have it come as a "surprise"  :)

Hope you understand

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 19:35:01 »
One kit or another, be careful about mixing the broken bar and the (proper) vertical bar. The R1 \| key shows up in the renders as , despite the rest of the vertical bars elsewhere being rendered correctly as |. :thumb:

Offline xmaviik

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 15:45:49 »
Hello :) Any update on the kit? Or any estimate date? Best regards

Offline nosferatooo

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 07:48:54 »
Do we have any updates?

Offline xmaviik

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 05:44:23 »
Well i guess there is no updates :(

Offline krzank

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 08:06:11 »
The only problem with a AZERTY kit is has around 40 keys for 2 countries, find me 50 AZERTY users and ill bring the kit in the IC ^-^
I'm in for AZERTY (NorDeUK will buy too).
Should you ever consider running Cyrillic and/or Arabic set you can count on me also (also other colors).

Offline Jo_hannes

• You can never learn less. You can only learn more.
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 08:36:43 »
To those worried that this IC is not progressing: NorDeUK has been confirmed on Discord for ThinkCaps, so if you can live with the CP legends instead of WS1, you can buy the NorDeUK kit there (from Nov 16th, I believe).
Best
Johannes

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 10:12:21 »
To those worried that this IC is not progressing: NorDeUK has been confirmed on Discord for ThinkCaps, so if you can live with the CP legends instead of WS1, you can buy the NorDeUK kit there (from Nov 16th, I believe).
Best
Johannes

Thanks, correct.

CP is used as legend colour for ThinkCaps out of preference, because it's a classic colour (OG Cherry) and imo produces more crisp legends, probably because CP's more opaque than WS1:

CP versus WS1

(same shutter speed, aperture and ISO for both photos)

WS1 is used as legend colour for the Accent kit to maximize compatibility with currently available WoB sets.

Offline tech.spaghetti

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 00:49:56 »
Hey would you consider adding Italian to the AZERTY? In case someone just want that option like me and sell the rest or split the kit with someone else

Offline jonowarren94

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 05:23:18 »
All kits look like good options to me. Nice to see this is running again.

Personally I like the bruh kits as I think it embodies the spirit of supporting 'minority' keyboard language layouts and I could see myself (and hopefully others) buying the full kit and later on down the line splitting with others as more people join the hobby.

If you're looking for a UK vendor Jae from prototypist would be a good choice, I could see him wanting to support this if he could.

Offline Lil Pai

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 05:30:40 »
I need this in my life.

Offline xmaviik

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 07:08:12 »
Since i already own the base KIT i really want this extension, with Portuguese support :D

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 09:03:55 »
Just wanted to update and say this is still being prepared!

Proposal kits have been made ready and hopefully mykb will soon get this quoted from GMK  :thumb:

Sry for the little period of silence, but busy times

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 09:16:35 »
For you guys wondering about a potential Dolch kit, this is the vote's so far:

256780-0

I am personal holding back to try and run this further atm until there could be more potential interest. ( Anyone feel free to persuade the kit, I'll happily help with the KLE files and buy the kit :cool: )
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 November 2020, 13:33:08 by RETURNISO »

Offline Prelim

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 09:24:18 »
I believe most people assumed that running Dolch Nordeuk++ would consume more time to start the GB, and just wanted a quick WoB Nordeuk++ GB run almost one year ago.... which in reality didn't happened.

Running WoB and Dolch is parallel will not take any additional time/effort, as the kits will be exactly the same but in different colorway (the same thing that happened in the last Nordeuk++ GB (WoB and BoW kits).
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 November 2020, 09:27:55 by Prelim »

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 09:29:45 »
Yeah i know and get it :)

Still wanna combine if there is enough interest and possibility, just not enough people have shown interest, we cant get to the goal line with 25 people + & -,  even if it was a fast turnaround :(

I believe most people assumed that running Dolch Nordeuk++ would consume more time to start the GB, and just wanted a quick WoB Nordeuk++ GB run almost one year ago.... which in reality didn't happened.

Sorry i dont understand this?

« Last Edit: Mon, 30 November 2020, 09:39:16 by RETURNISO »

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 09:45:18 »
All kits look like good options to me. Nice to see this is running again.

Personally I like the bruh kits as I think it embodies the spirit of supporting 'minority' keyboard language layouts and I could see myself (and hopefully others) buying the full kit and later on down the line splitting with others as more people join the hobby.

If you're looking for a UK vendor Jae from prototypist would be a good choice, I could see him wanting to support this if he could.

yes for sure, hoping to get prototypist to proxy this so all Brits will be safe from the EU VAT wall ^-^

Offline Prelim

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 13:15:02 »

I was referring to the fact that the pool results may be driven by a misleading questionnaire all along. I believe most people have chosen "NO, just get WoB running asap" thinking the Dolch option would delay the GB process, which isn't true. 
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 November 2020, 13:17:19 by Prelim »

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 13:23:33 »

I was referring to the fact that the pool results may be driven by a misleading questionnaire all along. I believe most people have chosen "NO, just get WoB running asap" thinking the Dolch option would delay the GB process, which isn't true.

Roger, well yeah that's not the case you are right. ( besides renders ( money) and more quotes )  ^-^
I'll leave the form open as it is and people are still welcome to come with any language request etc and vote for Dolch :thumb: 
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 November 2020, 13:28:06 by RETURNISO »

Offline Lil Pai

Re: [IC] GMK WOB NORDEUK++ R2 - ( Awaiting quotes )
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 02 January 2021, 12:56:58 »
This deserves more attention.. I'll buy at least 3 sets.

Offline lex62lex

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 08 January 2021, 11:09:11 »
I really like that you are doing an IC for NorDeUk sets, I am definitively interested in a set for WoB and Dolch R5. I can also attest that I thought the WoB would be delayed by ticking the box in the IC. I think you could get more interest if the Dolch set had its own IC.

Offline Nvmbra

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 15:30:09 »
I'm in for whatever set happens just for the R5 Alt Gr keycaps.

edit: Nevermind  :(
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 February 2021, 15:38:49 by Nvmbra »

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 09:57:24 »
I'm in for whatever set happens just for the R5 Alt Gr keycaps.

edit: Nevermind  :(

Haha, Yeah its was a little on and off.. still waiting to hear back from GMK with quotes etc.. hopefully we can still add it depends on the quotes for the various kits proposals!

Offline Saks

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 04:43:39 »
This run will be only WoB? I know Minimal 2 had Norde, but some keys that I need was missing on that add-on kit!

Offline ThomasTaiTai

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 07:27:35 »
Great see this set being made for EU folks.

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 03:32:58 »
Great see this set being made for EU folks.

:thumb:

This run will be only WoB? I know Minimal 2 had Norde, but some keys that I need was missing on that add-on kit!

Yes. WOB only. It will be hard to meet MOQ for BOW.. especially because it ran along side minimal :) Did you check out colorchrome?