Author Topic: Recommendations for a keyboard with bigger tent angle  (Read 5457 times)

Offline adreamer

Recommendations for a keyboard with bigger tent angle
« on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 10:40:56 »
I'm using kinesis advantage for 7-8 years. However, I get pain in right thumb(because of using thumb clusters I guess) from time to time. Recently I got a chance of using Goldtouch keyboard(for some days) and I liked it a lot.

1. It's tent/tilt angle is higher than kinesis and I found it much more comfortable to use
2. I didn't get pain on my right thumb. Though thumb keys convenience is missed, I think I can adjust to keyboard without the thumb cluster at this point.

However, there are some disadvantages with goldtouch keyboard.

1. Staggered key layout. I would prefer something like kinesis
2. Not enough customization. Ex: Can't assign different behavior for left space alone. Tried software like karbiner elements, but many limitations seems to be at hardware level.

Is there any keyboard with these requirements

1. Higher tenting angle(similar to goldtouch or more. Around 30 degrees)
2. Non staggered layout
3. Pre-built (Don't have the knowledge/capability of building one)
4. More customizable (Assign different functionalities to keys etc)
5. Mech (not 100% required, but preferred)

Thanks in advance for the help

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Recommendations for a keyboard with bigger tent angle
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 10:49:36 »
I guess you've seen and decided against the classic Ergodox?  If not they're available prebuilt here, not sure if you're in Europe making it a good option or not though.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline adreamer

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 11:02:44 »
From my (limited) reading, maximum tent angle for ergodox is around 15 degrees? At least I remember reading something like that for Ergodox EZ. Since I didn't want to build one by myself, didn't look into ergodox further.

Currently I'm in USA. So, being able to purchase one directly/option to ship here would be great.

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 12:37:45 »
the tenting for the ergodox is just those stick legs. if you wanted more, you could have longer legs or adjustable legs made. there may even be longer legs online that can be 3d printed? (order online if you don't have a printer) or a machine shop could probably make up some fancy ones.

does the moonlander (ergodox variant) have any larger legs? it's more flexible than a standard ergodox....

there's also the dactyl & dactyl-manuform (3d printed) which are totally customizable (tent angle, number of keys, etc..) but are 3d printed and you'd have to find a place that will build a pair to your preferences. i'd offer but i don't have a printer.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68