Author Topic: The Living Soldering Thread  (Read 1850318 times)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
Re: The Living Soldering Thread
« Reply #250 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 00:07:53 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43796.msg900769#msg900769

Nifty smd soldering video from GON.

Why isn't this a sticky?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #251 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 00:41:22 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43796.msg900769#msg900769

Nifty smd soldering video from GON.

Why isn't this a sticky?

idk but it should be especially with my wall-o-text above ;)

Offline gnubag

« Reply #252 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 00:47:36 »
HAH! ebay. honestly, i think you got yourself a deal right there. iron is flawless and power source looks well loved -- probably well taken care of. just scrub the crap out of that holder and pick up a http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-599B-02-Solder-Cleaning-Sponge/dp/B000B6344M and you're good to go.

wiha makes the best small electronics hand tools in the world imo. snap on makes the best large mechanicals hand tools and compressor tools.

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/weller/accessories/miscellaneous.htm

2 of the brass sponges but without a holder for much cheaper :)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #253 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 00:48:22 »
Why isn't this a sticky?

Because it's a niche skill within a niche hobby. Stickies tend to be more general.

I've linked mine for building two GH60 in the actual GB thread, but since this is a soldering thread I'll link it here too. It's a comprehensive soldering of components, including the controller chip. I didn't have a bevel tip, so I couldn't do the drag method that GON did. Videos are a bit long though ;/

« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 00:54:19 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #254 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 00:50:24 »
Why isn't this a sticky?

Because it's a niche skill within a niche hobby. Stickies tend to be more general.

Because lubing switches is totes mainstream, right?

Whereas soldering, no one does that besides hardline keyboard modders

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #255 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 00:51:27 »
Why isn't this a sticky?

hmm,done you have to desolder to properly lube in most cases?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #256 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 00:52:24 »

Yea you're right, not sure why that lubing thread is a sticky. It actually takes desoldering and soldering skill first before you can lube. Maybe PM a mod to take that lube thread off and replace with this thread.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #257 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 00:56:03 »

Yea you're right, not sure why that lubing thread is a sticky. It actually takes desoldering and soldering skill first before you can lube. Maybe PM a mod to take that lube thread off and replace with this thread.

Sticky them both? i mean you can lube without opening up the switches but its no where near as effective.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #258 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 01:04:15 »

Sticky them both? i mean you can lube without opening up the switches but its no where near as effective.

I mean you can remove a plate without desoldering  but its no where near as effective.

Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #259 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 01:08:16 »

I mean you can remove a plate without desoldering  but its no where near as effective.

nope ive lubed a bunch of keyboards back when ripster was still around using spray in lubes which were actually effective though I never used one of those keyboards long enough to see how long the lube lasted

Offline Aranair

• Software Engineer @ PocketMath
    • Tech blog
« Reply #260 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 21:04:02 »
@anyone with experience on solder wicks: what width of a solder wick should I be looking at? Also how long should I be getting? (Should last me at least 10 keyboards of desoldering lol)

I gotta order online even for these (mainly due to my work schedules), so it would be best if I can get a set that would last me for abit..

Present  : HHKB Pro 2 Type-S White | HHKB Pro 2 White Blank | Ergodox EZ
Past      :  Poker 2 Brown | Black Widow Ultimate Blue | Filco TKL Brown

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #261 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 00:50:36 »
@anyone with experience on solder wicks: what width of a solder wick should I be looking at? Also how long should I be getting? (Should last me at least 10 keyboards of desoldering lol)

I gotta order online even for these (mainly due to my work schedules), so it would be best if I can get a set that would last me for abit..

I am got some 2mm width wicks.
Seems like most, if not all of them are 1.5meters. I would say get 3-4 rolls. Try to also use a desoldering pump.
Using wicks exclusively might be a waste of resources.

Farnell/element14 has some for $3-$4 USD a roll.
Make sure the ones you get are laced with flux. The ones without are almost useless. Adding flux works but its a ton of mess to clean, and not as effective.

I got the Edsyn soldasip "lead free" . Not sure what are the difference between these and normal ones except that they are more suited for Pb free solder I guess. I chose it because it comes with rosin flux.

Previously was using chemtronics wick with no clean flux but my solder wires have rosin flux. So, while cleaning the rosin flux, the no clean ones came off as well and made a lot of sticky mess. A beginner mistake.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 May 2013, 00:57:57 by kaiserreich »

Offline Aranair

• Tech blog
« Reply #262 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 04:11:12 »

I am got some 2mm width wicks.
Seems like most, if not all of them are 1.5meters. I would say get 3-4 rolls. Try to also use a desoldering pump.
Using wicks exclusively might be a waste of resources.

Farnell/element14 has some for $3-$4 USD a roll.
Make sure the ones you get are laced with flux. The ones without are almost useless. Adding flux works but its a ton of mess to clean, and not as effective.

I got the Edsyn soldasip "lead free" . Not sure what are the difference between these and normal ones except that they are more suited for Pb free solder I guess. I chose it because it comes with rosin flux.

Previously was using chemtronics wick with no clean flux but my solder wires have rosin flux. So, while cleaning the rosin flux, the no clean ones came off as well and made a lot of sticky mess. A beginner mistake.

Hope this helps.

Ah, thanks for pointing me to element14 again. I went there before while I was looking for the soldering station and found them to be expensive but their pumps/wick seems reasonably priced :D

I did find some 30metres wick from a Singapore website but thats probably overkill I guess :p

Offline Aranair

• Tech blog
« Reply #263 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 04:16:14 »
Mmm, how do you tell if they are laced with flux or not?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #264 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 05:25:43 »
Found a solder similar to the Kester 44. There is much less of but at a similar price per ounce since I doubt anyone is really going to need 1lbs of solder for keyboards. And it's .020" thick so it should be thin enough in diameter for SMD work

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=SMDSW.020_4ozvirtualkey63560000virtualkey910-SMDSW.0204OZ

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #265 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 06:34:45 »

Check the datasheet or the msds.
The msds will tell you what kind of chemical it contains.

Offline Aranair

• Tech blog
« Reply #266 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 07:39:53 »

Check the datasheet or the msds.
The msds will tell you what kind of chemical it contains.

I decided to just buy the one you bought lol. (soldasip)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #267 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 11:55:30 »
this has officially reached epic sticky status

for the record, wfd, you pushed it right over the edge and dropped it into the seven seas of sticky

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #268 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 13:53:04 »
yeah WFD's youtube channel is Boss. I subbed it over 3 months ago.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #269 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 14:33:39 »
I want somebody to double check my work before I go through with this, but I'm wanting to set up a window vent type deal by using a dryer vent hose, a PC fan (120 or 90mm) taped onto the end of it and an in-line normally open switch to turn the fan on or off.

First question. would the fan best be put on the front or back of the vent to "push" or "pull" air through it? I was thinking if it was on the back it would be more efficient, but if it were on the front it would be easier to set up.

Secondly, I have a scavenged 12V .3A  power adapter, and i'm going to run it through a toggle switch to the fan. Since the amperage is so low I shouldn't have to worry about what switch I use, pretty much anything should work, right?

"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #270 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 16:39:04 »
the Simple questions, simple answers has officially reached epic sticky status

FTFY.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #271 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 01:18:50 »
this has officially reached epic sticky status

for the record, wfd, you pushed it right over the edge and dropped it into the seven seas of sticky

Cool, I just noticed this sticky now too. It's good to see more people venture into modding their own keyboards rather than just buy buy buy different ones.

Offline Kayliss

« Reply #272 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 02:06:11 »
Any suggestions for a less expensive alternative to the Hakko 808? Just looking for something I can use with one hand.  :confused:

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #273 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 02:16:34 »

Offline Aranair

• Tech blog
« Reply #274 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 09:19:14 »
mmm, between the 60$ WLC100, and the hakko 888 for 160$.. is there alot of difference?:P

I have a number of keyboards that I would need to solder (some desolder first) but still wondering if I would need something so expensive mm. Is it a worthwhile investment to get the better one?:P

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #275 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 09:35:13 »
mmm, between the 60$ WLC100, and the hakko 888 for 160$.. is there alot of difference?:P

I have a number of keyboards that I would need to solder (some desolder first) but still wondering if I would need something so expensive mm. Is it a worthwhile investment to get the better one?:P

The WLC100 is decent, but from what I hear the Hakko is miles ahead. Where are you buying these? I just picked up a Hakko 888D for $87 shipped?

*Thanks esoomenona
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 May 2013, 09:48:01 by The_Beast »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #276 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 09:46:40 »
888, not 808...

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #277 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 12:11:30 »

If you're only going to do a few keyboards, the WLC100 is fine. You can control how much power is fed to the iron, but it doesn't have true temperature readout and regulation like you would find in a hakko 888. If you plan on doing maybe 4 or more in the future, a hakko888 is a good investment, although they're not as cheap in Singapore.

I just picked up a Hakko 888D for $87 shipped?

Most of us in the US don't realize how dirt cheap the hakko 888 is here. You can find one for ~$85 shipped new, but in any other countries they're generally ~$160. HUGE price difference, so it might not be the best choice for someone really tight on money or just soldering a few keyboards here and there. However if you're in the US, might as well get the hakko over the weller.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #278 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 12:57:15 »
Everybody seems so caught up on the Hakko. I bought a Weller wes51 and I'm starting to get buyers remorse lol. I haven't even used it yet. I'm sure either way it's light years ahead of what I've used in the past (fleetingly)
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #279 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 13:55:22 »
the 51 is good classic design

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #280 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 17:10:31 »
Does a soldapullt need to be broken in? I just got one today, but it takes 2-5 times of pushing the plunger to get it to lock. Every other soldapullt I've used it push once and lock....

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #281 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 17:58:59 »
Does a soldapullt need to be broken in? I just got one today, but it takes 2-5 times of pushing the plunger to get it to lock. Every other soldapullt I've used it push once and lock....

maybe add more solder first to the joint?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #282 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 18:01:38 »

Nope, it's not it's sucking ability I'm worried about, it's the tool itself. Every other soldapullt I've used, I depress the plunger once and it locks, ready to suck. On the one I got today, it seems to be 2-5 depressions before locking. However, now that I've cycled it, it seems like it's getting better,

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #283 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 18:24:31 »

Nope, it's not it's sucking ability I'm worried about, it's the tool itself. Every other soldapullt I've used, I depress the plunger once and it locks, ready to suck. On the one I got today, it seems to be 2-5 depressions before locking. However, now that I've cycled it, it seems like it's getting better,

Did you get this from Amazon, or follow my advice and order direct from Edsyn?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #284 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 18:28:35 »

Bought from ebay. A couple hundred cycles, and it's now locking on almost ever depression. So it must have needed to be broke in

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #285 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 18:34:17 »

Bought from ebay. A couple hundred cycles, and it's now locking on almost ever depression. So it must have needed to be broke in

Ah, okay. Well, Edsyn's customer support is excellent, if you have any more problems with it.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline 4LI4Z

« Reply #286 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 19:07:32 »
I don't know how it is in the US but in Europe you can get really high quality used Weller soldering stations for cheap. For example a Weller WS50 or WD50 or WECP-20. Those are soldering stations used in many companies for every day work. Some of them got used for over 10 years with no turning off during worktime and they work like on there first day.
BLING BLING GOLD SPRING

ErgoClear Filco MJT2 TKL || Apple EK II || Hall Effect Keypad || Cherry G81 HAD || IBM M SSK

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #287 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 19:39:22 »

I have one from Taobao coming in. Hakko FX-888D
The Taobao price alone is 450RMB. 220V, China Plug

Seller provided teardown pictures of the inside and it looks like it is genuine. Non of the deal extreme crap.
Anyway, I will know for sure when I handle it myself.

Offline Rayne

• For Science!
« Reply #288 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 20:15:50 »
just found this thread, i used to solder alot when i was in high school, this really makes me want to get back into it.
my equipment i still have is really bad radio shack stuff tho... Im so tempted to pick up some of this stuff, but there are other keyboard things i want to buy...

i dont know why i still come to this website lol

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #289 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 22:30:24 »
If you poke around the IRC, Parak occasionally has good deals on irons he finds on eBay.

Offline Rayne

• For Science!
« Reply #290 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 23:47:52 »
If you poke around the IRC, Parak occasionally has good deals on irons he finds on eBay.
hmm... iv actually been thinking about idling irc more, to get to know people. Guess this is just more incentive.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #291 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 23:51:14 »
Ah, okay. Well, Edsyn's customer support is excellent, if you have any more problems with it.

I'm sure they are, and I would have bought from them, but they're a tab high. I think it was around $31 shipped for the same thing I got for $20 shipped.

Offline Aranair

• Tech blog
« Reply #292 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 08:58:46 »

The WLC100 is decent, but from what I hear the Hakko is miles ahead. Where are you buying these? I just picked up a Hakko 888D for $87 shipped?

*Thanks esoomenona

unfortunately I'm in Singapore D: almost all the soldering stations are pretty expensive here ):

Well, I'll have...two GH60s, tutu, kmac happy to assemble.. (plus one poker to desolder + solder to add a plate..). mmm Not exactly that tight on cash now but still hope to get my moneys worth nevetheless :P

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #293 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 09:00:36 »

*Thanks esoomenona

unfortunately I'm in Singapore D: almost all the soldering stations are pretty expensive here ):

Well, I'll have...two GH60s, tutu, kmac happy to assemble.. (plus one poker to desolder + solder to add a plate..). mmm Not exactly that tight on cash now but still hope to get my moneys worth nevetheless :P

I've used the WLC100 before to do a couple boards. It isn't bad, but it's not stellar either. It should be good enough for everything keyboard related (except maybe SMD since you don't have a lot of control over temp.)

Offline Aranair

• Tech blog
« Reply #294 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 09:05:13 »
does the hakko help to make up with being a noob on soldering?:P I'll be worried about burning stuff up since I'll be doing it for the first time lol.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #295 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 09:07:18 »
Not mine. Had it repaired for a customer.

Simpson 260-8P

in memoriam

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #296 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 09:09:50 »
does the hakko help to make up with being a noob on soldering?:P I'll be worried about burning stuff up since I'll be doing it for the first time lol.

On the first few boards I had it set on 5 because why not? I did mess up a trace and did some heat damage to the PCB. I backed off to around 3-4 and everything soldered and looked a lot better.

I can't really say if the Hakko will make you a better solderer, because I haven't used one yet. It should be here today tho!

Offline Aranair

• Tech blog
« Reply #297 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 09:17:58 »
mmm, a difficult decision. I wish it was as easy as deciding to buy a 100 usd keycap set D:

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #298 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 11:22:52 »
Not mine. Had it repaired for a customer.

Simpson 260-8P
Wow, cool stuff. How old is it? I see they manufactured them for a few years.

Offline eRadicatedZomBiE

• It's OK, I'm A Doctor.
« Reply #299 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 18:02:56 »
I'm stuck between this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Updated-Aoyue-Digital-Soldering-absorber/dp/B006FA481G

and this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2VQA24/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AGZ57FCJFLOQQ

I want to get an "in 1" type of setup I'm not sure if there is any real difference between these two or if it just comes down to user preference
I tried to see if there was anything that was really different the only thing I could find was that the  X-tronic has 110W as opposed to the Aoyue which is 70W

Help a brother out!
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 June 2013, 18:04:54 by eRadicatedZomBiE »
CM QFR | WASD V1 | Flico MJ2 LE Blue | Ducky 78 | Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE  |Phantom |
Ergodox

My WTB Thread