Author Topic: 356 Mini - The Lost Manual  (Read 35777 times)

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
Re: 356 Mini - The Lost Manual
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 07 September 2023, 00:01:35 »
maybe if I can buy few replacement pcb's off of you  :cool:

Please do. I am hoping that the PCB sales will at least help recoup the probable bank break I will have to do to afford a 356mini
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 07 September 2023, 00:11:49 »
Please do. I am hoping that the PCB sales will at least help recoup the probable bank break I will have to do to afford a 356mini

need to sell keyboards so I can afford one lol, also would a hypothetical pcb be open source just so people don't have to deal with recreating their own in like 5 years.

Having issues with non open source stuff with me modding a cheap filco, but there are no universal plate and pcb files which is the most important thing to me (at least ones that I do not know), so I can't really do it without them.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 08 September 2023, 12:53:16 »

need to sell keyboards so I can afford one lol, also would a hypothetical pcb be open source just so people don't have to deal with recreating their own in like 5 years.

Having issues with non open source stuff with me modding a cheap filco, but there are no universal plate and pcb files which is the most important thing to me (at least ones that I do not know), so I can't really do it without them.

This will be open sourced hands down. As you said, no use in making yet another proprietary PCB with nonstandard spacings
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline toniwonkanobi

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 08 September 2023, 12:58:09 »

This will be open sourced hands down. As you said, no use in making yet another proprietary PCB with nonstandard spacings

But just to confirm, the PCB you will make will have to have nonstandard spacings if we want to pair with OG V1/V2 plates, yes? You're just saying that in doing so, you'll open source it so that it's not some mystery like the OG versions, yes? :)

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 08 September 2023, 23:51:50 »

But just to confirm, the PCB you will make will have to have nonstandard spacings if we want to pair with OG V1/V2 plates, yes? You're just saying that in doing so, you'll open source it so that it's not some mystery like the OG versions, yes? :)

Yes. Goal is to make OG replacement parts and opensource results.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 16 October 2023, 11:17:35 »
Does anyone here own a 356 mini OG plate and OG PCB they could lend? Idea is to send it to a specialized scanning place where they can make 3D and 2D files out of it. If anyone is interested in helping, please send a DM.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 17 October 2023, 14:51:18 »
Does anyone here own a 356 mini OG plate and OG PCB they could lend? Idea is to send it to a specialized scanning place where they can make 3D and 2D files out of it. If anyone is interested in helping, please send a DM.

Gondo, I can't help you mate but this sounds like the best opportunity for anyone who owns an OG board and wants replacement parts for it.

Holy-bumping this thread! Godspeed!
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 17 October 2023, 21:08:31 »

Gondo, I can't help you mate but this sounds like the best opportunity for anyone who owns an OG board and wants replacement parts for it.

Holy-bumping this thread! Godspeed!

This is happening, it will happen, I will make it happen

Just need someone to work with or someone that will sell me an OG unit

Offline JacobGraphics

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 26 October 2023, 00:53:23 »
Has anyone (with an OTD 356) confirmed if the UTD full and half plate `dxf`'s in this thread actually fit/work with the OTD 356mini (and the OTD 356 V1/V2 PCBs)? :)

Show Image

I've been doing some experimenting with the various plates and PCBs I've collected over the years, probably owe this thread an update. A lot of what I've found is simply confirming what other folks know already, but I'll collect it here in summary.

In short, the UTD-based plates in this thread do not work with the original 356mini PCBs -- the switch spacing is slightly off.

However, the UTD-based plate attached to this post does work when used with a UTD-based PCB. I've tested this by mounting (not yet soldering) switches and caps in the attached plate with a Mechlovin UTD 356mini PCB. It all fits, though the USB port does stick out slightly from the case:
More
Show Image

For folks with access to them, the plate and PCB made for the 356mimi by Vikipedeer also work in the original 356mini and the USB port positioning is the same spec as the original OTD PCB. However this was a fairly small run and extras are long gone.
do you have a platefile that is 1:1 with your otd mini and works without any sanding necessary?