geekhack Community > Keyboards

Just gone back from low-profile mech to full-height, and typing is tiresome

(1/3) > >>

NewbieOneKenobi:
For the last couple of years I've used a tenkeyless implementation of low-profile blue Kailhs (similar to Purewriter but from a niche vendor). But after damaging it this week I had to get something new, so I bought a Coolermaster MK730 — tenkeyless full-height cherry browns plus wristrest. Suddenly, typing feels like a lot of work compared to the happy zapping on the low-profile unit. I'm actually thinking about getting a Purewriter anyway, or perhaps Corsair MK.2 Low Profile or even CM SK630 with the TTC low-profile opticals.

Ironically, my just about sole complaint about the low-profile board is gone — the keys don't feel like they're not tall enough for where my fingers want to go. I no longer end up aiming like half an inch too high. However, even if I don't bottom out, typing on these full-sized browns now feels like working in clay, and boy, are my palms hurting. It's like live fire in my joints. And to avoid bottoming out, I have to type either very fast and flawlessly (not really realistic) or very slowly (counterproductive). No such problem on the low-profile.

Anybody with similar experience?

Findecanor:
I recently spent three weeks in hospital/rehab with only a touchscreen keyboard (my BT kb broke..), and when I came home my Cherry MX Clear keyboard felt really heavy. But after a few days, I was back at typing normally.

NewbieOneKenobi:

--- Quote from: Findecanor on Fri, 27 January 2023, 14:45:08 ---I recently spent three weeks in hospital/rehab with only a touchscreen keyboard (my BT kb broke..), and when I came home my Cherry MX Clear keyboard felt really heavy. But after a few days, I was back at typing normally.

--- End quote ---

Thank you. Hope you've recovered!

It's a weird feeling, really. Cherries are supposed to feel almost luxurious… well, not as much as Topre (wasn't really a fan) or some of the Mac 'boards or some of the more exotic switches but anyway. And what it feels like is more like plastic clunking. Could be just the keyboard rather than the switches, of course, as I remember boards with a more metal feel even in lower price brackets (HyperX and some of the Corsairs come to mind). My Filco Majestouch, though it wasn't as spectacular as the name and fame implies, of course felt more hi-end. A different board I gave away to my best buddy had Kailh browns, and those were a bit worse than the cherries but comparable. Old browns — and I used to have a unit from early 90s — were also lighter and less plasticky, I think.

Right now I'm trying to type without the wristrest, but it's a bit too tall. My Filco (many keys no longer work but the frame is there) definitely is a good couple of milimetres less tall, and that was already too tall for me back in the day.

Today, I bought a used Sharkoon Purewriter TKL with German keycaps at a bargain, like twenty bucks. I figured I can use the standard keycaps from my Modecom, which is still a great 'board, but I can't really do without the '-' sign or with repetitions from chattering in my line of work (I'm a translator and we get like 1000 times more flak for a typo than a normal writer does). Except this time it's red chocs, not blue.

Next in the line is Logitech G815 perhaps or some kind of Filco Majestouch with low-profile switches, and I've seen one of those.

Sigh, neither solution is perfect.

Sup:
honestly you should go back to what worked for you. There are probably low profile keyboards with clicky kailh choc whites.

NewbieOneKenobi:

--- Quote from: Sup on Sat, 28 January 2023, 12:14:09 ---honestly you should go back to what worked for you. There are probably low profile keyboards with clicky kailh choc whites.

--- End quote ---

Never pawed those. Midway between blue and brown, or how do they feel?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version