Author Topic: help! I (kind of) just trashed my board  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Vasillios

help! I (kind of) just trashed my board
« on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 08:05:24 »
a few days ago i tried to swap the switches on my IKBC KD87 board, unfortunately i have a (very) bad desoldering skills, hence i lifted a lot of the PCB Pads
and now this is what is left of my trashed keyboard

and here's the picture of the board right now:

horrible, i know

from what i understand from doing a lot of things to the board, the left alt socket is shorting, the left windows key only triggers F9 despite being soldered to it's own socket, and all of the spacebar socket's pads basically gone (and i do not know where should i bridge them).
 i suspect the 2 column above the spacebars are inaccessible due to the missing pads of the spacebar (this happened to the [] keys as well not too long ago)

Please help!
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 November 2021, 09:14:33 by Vasillios »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: help! I (kind of) just trashed my board
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 13:32:29 »
First - your pics are broken.  I've opened them but it would be easier if you attach them to the post and I suspect they will come out bigger too.

Next - how did you decide where to solder the jumpers?  The left pins look like they're connected to diodes which then connect across the rows meaning the columns would be going down on the right pins, but you've connected the right pins of C to X and F to G amongst others.  This is a commercial PCB so it may have been designed by someone on lots of drugs and this is right but it looks strange.

A big picture of the whole board would be great - then I can draw lines between the vias (holes) and get a better idea what should be connected to what and hopefully work out how to fix it :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Vasillios

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 19:07:09 »
i went trough the process of trial and error with those (and most of them works)
here's the images:

« Last Edit: Tue, 30 November 2021, 19:14:53 by Vasillios »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 01 December 2021, 12:59:07 »
So it does make some sense - the diodes in the middle are connected to two lines of vias alternating so the "columns" are U shaped.

From what I'm seeing the _R keys in the bottom row have their own two rows just like the alpha keys and the down arrow is also on one of them, but Space and Alt_L are in the same "row" as A D and G (connected by diodes) and Alt_L and K13(the unused ISO key in the row above) are connected to Caps Lock S F and H.  This confirms my first thoughts - the designer was definitely on something, and it's going to take some working out.

For starters do you have anything pointy enough to try shorting the pin at the end of the green line to Space?  I'd say the blue one too but not sure where it goes...

279427-0
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Vasillios

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 01 December 2021, 18:31:35 »
So it does make some sense - the diodes in the middle are connected to two lines of vias alternating so the "columns" are U shaped.

From what I'm seeing the _R keys in the bottom row have their own two rows just like the alpha keys and the down arrow is also on one of them, but Space and Alt_L are in the same "row" as A D and G (connected by diodes) and Alt_L and K13(the unused ISO key in the row above) are connected to Caps Lock S F and H.  This confirms my first thoughts - the designer was definitely on something, and it's going to take some working out.

For starters do you have anything pointy enough to try shorting the pin at the end of the green line to Space?  I'd say the blue one too but not sure where it goes...

(Attachment Link)

i dont think i have something that's pointy enough to actually reach those lines, do i have to scrape so the copper exposed first or just try to stab it with the "pointy" thing?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 11:02:19 »
The green line goes to a pin on the chip that's exposed, but it is very small.  The blue line would need scraping carefully, though looking at it again it would make most sense if it went to the pin half way up the left side as there's only one with no trace coming out of it.

Can you read the writing on the chip?  If we can find a datasheet and confirm that pin is suitable it's worth a try.  You still need to find something pointy though!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Vasillios

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 11:14:42 »
The green line goes to a pin on the chip that's exposed, but it is very small.  The blue line would need scraping carefully, though looking at it again it would make most sense if it went to the pin half way up the left side as there's only one with no trace coming out of it.

Can you read the writing on the chip?  If we can find a datasheet and confirm that pin is suitable it's worth a try.  You still need to find something pointy though!

i'll try shorting the pins later, i also cant read the whole writings but i can see it says HOLTEK H132F5--- thats all i can read tho