Author Topic: [IC] Stainless Steel TKL  (Read 5721 times)

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
[IC] Stainless Steel TKL
« on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 16:21:50 »
I've received some quotes from some recommended machine shops and the price is a lot more than I think people would be willing to pay. I can't guarantee the quality of the board from cheaper factories.

More
https://redd.it/6bkdz4

This is a simple TKL.
I modified Mech27 files, so thanks 27 and Yuksti.
I removed the weight and extended the top 3mm so there is no spacer.
No need for a weight when its all weight.

Specs
All stainless steel. ~12lbs
Brushed finish
8° slope
PCB is A87.
Plate is the same as Mech27 and TGR Jane. I will provide the file if you would like to cut your own plate.

Price: ~700
Miscalculated the quote earlier.
I sent an extra part and accidentally added it to the total calculation.
Price should be around $700 unless I messed this up. Could be around $650 or less at 25 units.
Also depends on the price I can get PCBs.

« Last Edit: Wed, 17 May 2017, 12:22:07 by ultraidiot »

Offline afrokobe

Re: [IC] Stainless Steel TKL
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 16:26:47 »
oh man all stainless that is awesome

Offline gaiden

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 16:31:53 »
I guess at some point someone need to run a GB for some sturdy desks first before everything falls due to very dense Keebs 🙂

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline scwoopz

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 16:36:00 »
o **** 800
ortho or shmortho

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 16:38:47 »
Yeah I don't expect many orders so the price is pretty high. I wouldn't expect it to fall much even if I get a decent amount. :\

Offline Delirious

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 17:57:49 »
Can we have more profound side indents for the bottom piece? I'm typing on a TX84 right now and it is about 11lbs of glorious aluminum. I love the sturdiness and TX board has become my favorite; but the biggest downfall is it has no side grip whatsoever. It is a real hassle trying to pick it up and move around.

Re-positioning is no longer a simple gesture. You cannot just nudge it, the aluminum brick refuses to budge. Picking up is the only option and it becomes difficult when there is no side grip. This thing will come out about 12-13 lbs once built and having some sort of grip will help tremendously.

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 18:06:24 »
Miscalculated the quote. I sent an extra part and accidentally added it to the total calculation. Price should be around $700 unless I messed this up. Could be around $650 or less at 25 units.

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 18:07:49 »
Can we have more profound side indents for the bottom piece? I'm typing on a TX84 right now and it is about 11lbs of glorious aluminum. I love the sturdiness and TX board has become my favorite; but the biggest downfall is it has no side grip whatsoever. It is a real hassle trying to pick it up and move around.

Re-positioning is no longer a simple gesture. You cannot just nudge it, the aluminum brick refuses to budge. Picking up is the only option and it becomes difficult when there is no side grip. This thing will come out about 12-13 lbs once built and having some sort of grip will help tremendously.

TX84 is 11lbs? How big is that brass weight? I don't like the look of a more indented board but if others are interested, I'll change it.

Offline Delirious

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 18:15:16 »

TX84 is 11lbs? How big is that brass weight? I don't like the look of a more indented board but if others are interested, I'll change it.

Not brass, sold out, stainless steel but it is YUGE

Offline Cocopah

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 18:35:05 »
This is awesome, hopefully you give my wallet a chance to recover before you open this GB up.

Offline PLC

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 18:59:39 »
interested

Offline engra

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 21:29:33 »
Im interested to hear what people's opinion are for a SS keyboard case.....SS is much more durable when compared to ALU and is also much heavier....but the issue is also how often do you expect to transport your keyboard ..... and how durable do you really need your keyboard to be? ALU definitely wins in weight but loses in durability - but i dont expect to be testing the durability of my keyboard case anytime in the near future. Am i missing anything?

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 23:01:09 »
Im interested to hear what people's opinion are for a SS keyboard case.....SS is much more durable when compared to ALU and is also much heavier....but the issue is also how often do you expect to transport your keyboard ..... and how durable do you really need your keyboard to be? ALU definitely wins in weight but loses in durability - but i dont expect to be testing the durability of my keyboard case anytime in the near future. Am i missing anything?
People like weight. TKL aren't that portable anyways. Now it's really not going anywhere. It's a niche thing. I don't expect many people to buy it.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 07:18:32 »
This is kind of amazing. It's brutal, simple. Industrial. I dunno if I could spend on it, maybe in a couple months, but I'm defo hitting notify on this topic. is there gonna be some kind of logo or just straight up brushed finish stainless steel?

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 07:21:43 »
This is kind of amazing. It's brutal, simple. Industrial. I dunno if I could spend on it, maybe in a couple months, but I'm defo hitting notify on this topic. is there gonna be some kind of logo or just straight up brushed finish stainless steel?
Yeah sam I'm subbed to the topic and I'll keep an eye on it.
Might be interested in this, it seems pretty badass.

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 08:01:16 »

No logo. For now I am still deciding between brushed or polished. I will talk to the manufacturer to see if I can provide both and maybe unfinished for those who want a different finish or want to powder coat.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline Delirious

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 08:19:14 »
Will there be an option for case only for those of us that want alps?

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 08:27:36 »
Will there be an option for case only for those of us that want alps?
Likely no, but you can maybe find someone with a Mech27 or Jane CE who would want a stainless steel pcb. If there is enough interest from those buyers, I may open up the gb to just plates. In that case I would provide a case only option.

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 12:23:17 »
Killed the project. Not feasible with my knowledge of reputable machine shops. If I can find a shop I can trust that also gives a price where people would actually join the buy, I may run this in the future.

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 15:31:45 »
Damn, shame that it's dead. But yeah price is killer, I guess that's why people don't make much stainless steel keebs

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 16:40:02 »
My notify will always be on for you, my heavy, dead, keyboard.

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 16:52:06 »
R.I.P  :-[

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 17:52:33 »
Just wondering, ever asked about brass? It might be cheaper to machine than steel.

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 22:47:42 »
isn't brass more expensive as overall material?

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 23:56:56 »
Just wondering, ever asked about brass? It might be cheaper to machine than steel.
Smudges galore among other problems.
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline Data

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 09:48:15 »
isn't brass more expensive as overall material?

Around twice as expensive as stainless, depending on the grade.  But that might balance out with reduced machine time and tool wear on the brass versus stainless.  Just a hunch.