Poll

Which realization of Cyrillics do you prefer?

Double shot single letters
Standard QWERTY with front printed Cyrillics

Author Topic: [IC] YURI R1 GMK (Cherry profile)  (Read 352179 times)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
Re: [IC] YURI Cherry or SA Profile
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 19:51:45 »
Are the colors, or something similar, available with GMK? I think the OP has pointed that the Germans do not have matching colors for the design.

I know GMK's color pallette is sparse compared to SP.  Like orange for example.  GMK has...1 orange.  SP has 5 shades of orange.

It's really sad too, and when they do a custom color you get issues like TA did.

Don't say it like it's a guarantee.  :P  That was the first and only time.  One data point hardly indicates a trend.  ;)

It really wasn't that bad for a first time - I imagine that Massdrop was probably rushing GMK as well

Offline turboloser

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 22:11:41 »
Are the colors, or something similar, available with GMK? I think the OP has pointed that the Germans do not have matching colors for the design.

I know GMK's color pallette is sparse compared to SP.  Like orange for example.  GMK has...1 orange.  SP has 5 shades of orange.

It's really sad too, and when they do a custom color you get issues like TA did.

Don't say it like it's a guarantee.  :P  That was the first and only time.  One data point hardly indicates a trend.  ;)

I'm just... Saiyan, I wish that GMK did more colors.

There are so many projects that people could get off the ground if they did. I don't really mind all of the SP sets I've bought thus far but there is definitely some biting quality issues that stand out. 

Also - feel free to call me dumb but why are SA keycaps glossed? Or rather, lacking texture - it is something that irks me especially now that I've placed around with them for an extended period of time.

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 22:57:55 »

There are so many projects that people could get off the ground if they did. I don't really mind all of the SP sets I've bought thus far but there is definitely some biting quality issues that stand out. 

Also - feel free to call me dumb but why are SA keycaps glossed? Or rather, lacking texture - it is something that irks me especially now that I've placed around with them for an extended period of time.

You see this is what I've wondered for some time as well. Why not give the SA sets some nice texture for ***** sake?  :confused: Another question, which I imagine has logical answer likely referring to the manufacturing process, but why not create SA sets in PBT?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 06:10:30 »

You see this is what I've wondered for some time as well. Why not give the SA sets some nice texture for ***** sake?  :confused: Another question, which I imagine has logical answer likely referring to the manufacturing process, but why not create SA sets in PBT?

The Commando set was (mostly) in "matte" finish which is textured.

SA do not have 1.75u, 2.25u, 2.75u or spacebar molds in that finish, so those caps came in "semi-matte", which is what practically all current SA sets are made in, as it's the only finish that they a complete set of molds for (hehe, nice to be able to say "complete" without adding an exception about the shifts). They can make some sizes in proper "gloss", too. It works well for the profile, IMHO.

They are capable of manufacturing 1u PBT caps and did make a small batch to show a customer, but don't have holders for dyesubbing them and do not plan to make any more in future. Matt3o is working on another angle for vintage spherical PBT caps over at DT: http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/hi-profile-pbt-dye-sub-the-time-has-come-t10805.html
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 08:29:04 »

SA do not have 1.75u, 2.25u, 2.75u or spacebar molds in that finish, so those caps came in "semi-matte", which is what practically all current SA sets are made in, as it's the only finish that they a complete set of molds for (hehe, nice to be able to say "complete" without adding an exception about the shifts). They can make some sizes in proper "gloss", too. It works well for the profile, IMHO.

They are capable of manufacturing 1u PBT caps and did make a small batch to show a customer, but don't have holders for dyesubbing them and do not plan to make any more in future. Matt3o is working on another angle for vintage spherical PBT caps over at DT: http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/hi-profile-pbt-dye-sub-the-time-has-come-t10805.html
Whoa... :eek: this --><-- is a dream profile/material for me. Just look at that wonderful texture! I really hope PBT hi-pro happens.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 09:01:31 »

Whoa... :eek: this -->
Show Image
<-- is a dream profile/material for me. Just look at that wonderful texture! I really hope PBT hi-pro happens.

Why do the edges look kind of distorted?
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 23:12:48 »

Show Image
<-- is a dream profile/material for me. Just look at that wonderful texture! I really hope PBT hi-pro happens.

Why do the edges look kind of distorted?

I think it is just the light shining off the caps.

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 23:18:35 »
i enjoy it. excellent colorway
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 15:22:47 »
Show Image

Texture is a function of mold design, not keycap material.  At least, in a macro (visible) sense.

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 16:12:02 »
Show Image

Texture is a function of mold design, not keycap material.  At least, in a macro (visible) sense.

That makes sense, thanks for the clarification. So would that mean that Signature Plastics only owns the one SA mold which has a smooth finish? Or is there a large enough portion of the population who prefer a smooth finish on the SA profile for SP to justify only using the one mold? I've just always been curious as to why the SA keycaps, from SP as least, come without texture.

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 16:23:42 »
I believe there are actually a couple texture options for SA but not all of them are available for all keys.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 16:40:41 »
Show Image

That makes sense, thanks for the clarification. So would that mean that Signature Plastics only owns the one SA mold which has a smooth finish? Or is there a large enough portion of the population who prefer a smooth finish on the SA profile for SP to justify only using the one mold? I've just always been curious as to why the SA keycaps, from SP as least, come without texture.

Check Oobly's post that you responded to above.  ;)

Offline SL89

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 16:41:50 »
i quite like this colorway

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 16:46:57 »
Love the base and novelties, great job  :thumb:

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 17:28:23 »
Show Image

SP offers for SA Profile: glossy, semi-matte and matte surfaces. What you are looking for is the matte surface as it has the most texture and is rough. Sadly glossy and matte surfaces are missing some keys for specific rows and key sizes. So this is why the most SA keysets out there are using semi-matte surface. This also came into consideration making Carbon glossy or matte. So thats my research.

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 18:55:39 »
Show Image

SP offers for SA Profile: glossy, semi-matte and matte surfaces. What you are looking for is the matte surface as it has the most texture and is rough. Sadly glossy and matte surfaces are missing some keys for specific rows and key sizes. So this is why the most SA keysets out there are using semi-matte surface. This also came into consideration making Carbon glossy or matte. So thats my research.

Ohhhh so that's why so many people were excited about the semi-matte row 4 shift key! I'll definitely have to keep my eyes out for a matte SA group buy then. Thank you for the info T0mb3ry!

Offline nocturalowl

« Reply #116 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 10:42:10 »
Love the colorway, either SA or GMK will do for me. Great job !

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 13:17:14 »
Show Image

Ohhhh so that's why so many people were excited about the semi-matte row 4 shift key! I'll definitely have to keep my eyes out for a matte SA group buy then. Thank you for the info T0mb3ry!

You should keep in mind that each surface requires its mold which costs a lot of money. The people (including me) are happy for row 4 shifts because each mold costs like 5k bucks. As you know we got like 4 different shift sizes which means SP invested around 20k $ in those. Doing the same for matte surfaces will cost a hell lot of money. Dont know if SP will do that.

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 14:57:51 »
Show Image

You should keep in mind that each surface requires its mold which costs a lot of money. The people (including me) are happy for row 4 shifts because each mold costs like 5k bucks. As you know we got like 4 different shift sizes which means SP invested around 20k $ in those. Doing the same for matte surfaces will cost a hell lot of money. Dont know if SP will do that.

Yeah I agree with you on that, pretty unlikely SP would invest that much into a completing the SA profile with matte texture. Very interesting though. I would love to tour SP and see exactly what all goes into creating keysets. I definitely had no idea that molds would cost that much.

Offline building_an_ergo

« Reply #119 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 01:09:16 »
I love the idea behind this design.

And I love the look of it.

I would buy two sets of this for my two boards if it ever comes out.

Only comment I have is, can we change the name to "Gagarin"?

Yuri also means "Explicit lesbian relationships in anime or manga".

It is a pretty common word on the web now-a-days for lesbian sex in general.

Offline turboloser

« Reply #120 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 01:20:08 »

You got a problem with girl's love, bro?

Offline building_an_ergo

« Reply #121 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 01:22:59 »

Not really, no.

But I don't want to disappoint anyone into thinking this is a lesbian themed keyset.

Offline turboloser

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 01:36:14 »

Not really, no.

But I don't want to disappoint anyone into thinking this is a lesbian themed keyset.

That may have been the reason why I clicked on this thread in the first place, but this worked too.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 01:40:26 »
I love Yuri :p

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 05:01:31 »
The novelty designs are looking great! (but you may have to check the size of the "island" in the P of CCCP on the helmet -should be absolute minimum of 0.015"-)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:06:42 »

First of all Yuri is a slavic Name for a men. Isis is a common arabic Name for a female. You see my point? You cant blame the name you can only blame the person who lacks knowledge to the given context.
In german the word Sir is "Herr" means acusticaly in russian ****. Its not funny.

Anyway we can consider another name if this name "Yuri" gives some people trouble. Actually i considered first time to call it "The sky was red".

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:11:13 »
The novelty designs are looking great! (but you may have to check the size of the "island" in the P of CCCP on the helmet -should be absolute minimum of 0.015"-)

Yeah i have to check it. Was aware of it. Anyway these are fast draw sketches and all of them need to be refined and polished, before GB. But guess until GB we got quite a lot of time.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #127 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 12:16:22 »
sky burns red?!

Offline apolotary

• Кто-нибудь купите мои клавиатуры ;__;
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 02:51:16 »
Всячески поддерживаю ваш групповой заказ, товарищ

Seriously, I'd buy it just for the huge Cyrillic letters alone. Although, can we use legends from vintage Soviet PCs? I think there was a blog post or a thread somewhere on reddit with pictures of old Soviet battlestations, gotta dig it up

Edit: sorry, should've read about possible complications first, how does SP print custom logos anyway?

Also

You're misreading the name a bit, check out how Gagarin's name written in Katakana here

There's a longer "yu" sound and an extra "i" in the end, the set can be called as Yurii or Yuriy to distinguish it
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 November 2015, 03:05:44 by apolotary »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 03:02:22 »

Seriously, I'd buy it just for the huge Cyrillic letters alone. Although, can we use legends from vintage Soviet PCs? I think there was a blog post or a thread somewhere on reddit with pictures of old Soviet battlestations, gotta dig it up

Спасибо за поддержку!

Already studied those old machines. Guess the problem is they dont have a standard for key-labels.

I want to make some sketch update somewhere in January. At that time i hope i will get my carbon keyset so i can study their legends and make Cyrillic Gorton Modified.

Offline apolotary

• Кто-нибудь купите мои клавиатуры ;__;
« Reply #130 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 03:08:05 »

Спасибо за поддержку!

Already studied those old machines. Guess the problem is they dont have a standard for key-labels.

I want to make some sketch update somewhere in January. At that time i hope i will get my carbon keyset so i can study their legends and make Cyrillic Gorton Modified.

Ah bummer, worst case we could always go for dye-sub, but it would probably imply using DSA which might be a dealbreaker for some

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #131 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 03:26:32 »

Спасибо за поддержку!

Ah bummer, worst case we could always go for dye-sub, but it would probably imply using DSA which might be a dealbreaker for some

DSA is not the only profile which SP has to offer. I thought of SA profile if it will be made by SP. If Yuri will be made by SP then it has to be Double Shot Cyrillic not printed or something. I guess it will be first Double Shot Cyrillic ever.

So basically that i am trying to do here is to introduce (if it goes through SP) double shot Cyrillic for community keysets. This means that these cyrillic letters are not going to be exclusive to Yuri. They are supposed to be used by any Community Designer for their project.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 November 2015, 03:34:09 by T0mb3ry »

Offline turboloser

« Reply #132 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 15:49:37 »

Спасибо за поддержку!

DSA is not the only profile which SP has to offer. I thought of SA profile if it will be made by SP. If Yuri will be made by SP then it has to be Double Shot Cyrillic not printed or something. I guess it will be first Double Shot Cyrillic ever.

So basically that i am trying to do here is to introduce (if it goes through SP) double shot Cyrillic for community keysets. This means that these cyrillic letters are not going to be exclusive to Yuri. They are supposed to be used by any Community Designer for their project.

So if I understand what you're saying, basically once you can get a manufacturer to make keys in a certain language or form factor it then becomes available to everyone else down the road who wants to make use of them as well since the manufacturer now has the capacity to meet those needs?

Offline S0L

« Reply #133 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 05:52:50 »
Im definitely interested. Count me in! Поехали!  :cool:

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 07:56:54 »
So if I understand what you're saying, basically once you can get a manufacturer to make keys in a certain language or form factor it then becomes available to everyone else down the road who wants to make use of them as well since the manufacturer now has the capacity to meet those needs?

Indirectly. Once the legends are made you can use it for other keysets.
But for custom legends like novelties to use them you have to get the permission from the designer.
Lets say you are designing a keyset and you would like to use custom legends from Carbon. SP will not allow you to use them until you'll get the permission from me. This is how it works.
For example Carbon Warning signs has Radiation Sign and it was already available from Nuclear Data keyset. I got no permission so i delivered svg file for that legend and they made it for Carbon from scratch.

Now speaking of Cyrillics i dont want to make them exclusive to Yuri. So if you want to make a cyrillic keyset then you dont even have to get permission. They are going free to use for everybody.

Offline turboloser

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 15:19:12 »

Indirectly. Once the legends are made you can use it for other keysets.
But for custom legends like novelties to use them you have to get the permission from the designer.
Lets say you are designing a keyset and you would like to use custom legends from Carbon. SP will not allow you to use them until you'll get the permission from me. This is how it works.
For example Carbon Warning signs has Radiation Sign and it was already available from Nuclear Data keyset. I got no permission so i delivered svg file for that legend and they made it for Carbon from scratch.

Now speaking of Cyrillics i dont want to make them exclusive to Yuri. So if you want to make a cyrillic keyset then you dont even have to get permission. They are going free to use for everybody.

That's good to know. Should I ever want to make a CYKA BLYAT set, it can be done!

Offline R4WBIT

« Reply #136 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 13:40:11 »
I hope it isn't too late but I would definitely be interested in this set if it had Nordic keys (often called international).
Probably not the only one to think this. Gorgeous keyset!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 13:58:31 »
OP: As a courtesy for new readers: You would change the thread's title to reflect that the set will be SA profile; otherwise, new comers are wondering if Cherry is still under consideration.

Offline n__dles

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 23:34:34 »
For this reason alone, you can count me in. What's the estimated cost to get the missing letters?

Offline aanoi

• Drew Rios
Re: [IC] YURI SA Profile
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 00:14:16 »
I love this color palette, and i'm a huge fan of SA :) I'd definitely be interested in this set. I would actually love to see a set with plain text instead of the icons :)

Offline Siegx

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 01:09:12 »
I'm not a huge fan of SA, but the colors on this set look gorgeous!

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 06:21:10 »
I will probably have to buy this set, even though you do it with SP. I like it too much  :p
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 06:24:35 »
I will probably have to buy this set, even though you do it with SP. I like it too much  :p

Yeah, it is great. I'll be in for a set too!

Offline jaffers

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 06:40:02 »
I don't think it suits SA profile but I will definitely bite if you manage to get GMK or JTK to do it

Offline Vimto

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 06:45:27 »
I would love to get this set when it's out. Looks awesome

HHKB Pro 2    HHKB Pro 2   Realforce 87U       WhiteFox        Keyboardio
   BT Hasu                              55g 10th      The True Fox        Model 01
  Controller                        Anniversary Ed.     On Order         On Order

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 06:57:22 »
I don't think it suits SA profile but I will definitely bite if you manage to get GMK or JTK to do it

I don't think GMK would have the colours to do it and I think JTK is pretty taped out in terms of GBs for the foreseeable future

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 11:08:11 »
For this reason alone, you can count me in. What's the estimated cost to get the missing letters?

There are 26 letters to made. Thats 26 x 50$ 1300$ total cost. Dont be scared Carbon had around 16 new legends and it was not that expensive if you compare it to previous sets. This one has 10 legends more to go. Depending on success of GB it is possible you will barely see cost increase.

As i said this set has the goal to make first double shot cyrillic set. To make the participation more valuable i plan to run Yuri only once. See it as honor for those who support the introduction of cyrillic letters. After that everyone can use those cyrillics for their own sets.

Right now i am thinking of making complete new legends. Say latin letters in the top left corner and cyrillics in bottom right corner.
Like here:

It will cost more but i think its more versatile... Discuss!

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 11:45:29 »
Cyrillic will be pretty rad, but I'm excited about even just Latin legends in this colorway.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km²), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km²),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 12:13:04 »
There are 26 letters to made. Thats 26 x 50$ 1300$ total cost. Dont be scared Carbon had around 16 new legends and it was not that expensive if you compare it to previous sets. This one has 10 legends more to go. Depending on success of GB it is possible you will barely see cost increase.

If at least 100 people enter that's only $13 a person. Small price to pay, and I think you could easily get that many orders!
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 17:39:13 »

Right now i am thinking of making complete new legends. Say latin letters in the top left corner and cyrillics in bottom right corner.
Like here:
Show Image

It will cost more but i think its more versatile... Discuss!

I'd probably go with the dual legend approach - I think a lot of MD customers might be a bit intimated by cyrillic legends only even though they look super badass