Author Topic: [IC] ME60 custom 60% PCB  (Read 4385 times)

Offline murkey

• murkey's alpaca farm
[IC] ME60 custom 60% PCB
« on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 22:43:21 »

Hello! As a new member of Geekhack, I'm excited to team up with evangs, maker of TheVan 44, to check your interest in our idea for a custom 60% PCB! This PCB will support a huge number of bottom row configurations along with split backspace and right shift positions. It will be compatible with MX and Alps switches and fit in a standard 60% case. It won't support in-switch LEDs, but it will allow for bottom/diffuser LEDs. Finally, the PCBs will be silkscreened with some glitchy fractal art from yours truly!

We will need at least 25 interested people to move this to GB, but we're shooting for 50 so that we can bring the PCB price down to under $30/board.

Without further ado, I present evangs's PCB design (not final):

Here are some of the layouts it supports:

It looks very likely that the board will also be able to support 7u spacebars and ISO enter.

And here's a link to the PCB art: http://i.imgur.com/J4cC4tr.png (large file)

Plates: evangs has some interesting ideas about plates, but we haven't worked it all out yet. We'll update when we have more info.

Pricing: $28.60 per PCB at 50 units.

Thanks for checking out our project. Let us know what you think!

Update/edit 1: 99% sure we can support 7u spacebars and ISO enter
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 May 2016, 01:37:15 by murkey »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: [IC] ME60 custom 60% PCB
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 22:55:34 »
It looks cool color and pricewise; but if it does not support 7u space bar plus 1.5 mods, nor ISO, then it is just not for me.

Offline agbockus

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 23:08:28 »
This is everything I want...except for the in switch LEDs...but I think I want one anyway!  ;D

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 23:17:04 »
It looks cool color and pricewise; but if it does not support 7u space bar plus 1.5 mods, nor ISO, then it is just not for me.
I wanted to support 7u, but everything got too smushed :(

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
[IC] ME60 custom 60% PCB
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 23:23:34 »
I wanted to support 7u, but everything got too smushed :(
Actually I think I was able to support the 7u bottom row. That's why we couldn't do in switch leds. ISO support should be doable as well

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 01:06:48 »

Likewise :(

Good luck with the IC :)
The printed PCB is something I'd like to see since I can't picture it in my head :p

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline murkey

• murkey's alpaca farm
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 01:42:40 »

The printed PCB is something I'd like to see since I can't picture it in my head :p

Thanks! and thanks for the feedback - support for 7u space and ISO enter is looking very likely. Not sure about the 1.5 mods. We'll keep you updated

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 02:27:18 »
This has piqued my interest. The first 60% I signed up for here has been 4 years in the making, so maybe it's time to look elsewhere.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 07:19:32 »
Having more PCB alternatives is always very cool, I encourage you to get this done, regarding winkeyless style bottom row is required just by a few here, who preferred OG Cherry mainly and I believe we are an endangered species condemned to extinction; in the other hand, mainstream goes for standard 6.25u space bar and 1.25 modifiers so you are in the main avenue here, so it seems like no problem. You may want consider offering an alternative layout instead, something innovative, that may be even cooler.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 08:55:26 »
This has piqued my interest. The first 60% I signed up for here has been 4 years in the making, so maybe it's time to look elsewhere.
I hear ya.  I know for myself I want to drop this in my 60% cases to use the 4u space bar option on one of them.  Still deciding on the other one, but kind of leaning towards 7u win keyless bottom

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 08:57:25 »

I need to verify but I believe that bottom row is already supported. ISO support is coming.

Offline murkey

• murkey's alpaca farm
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 13:37:45 »
Having more PCB alternatives is always very cool, I encourage you to get this done, regarding winkeyless style bottom row is required just by a few here, who preferred OG Cherry mainly and I believe we are an endangered species condemned to extinction; in the other hand, mainstream goes for standard 6.25u space bar and 1.25 modifiers so you are in the main avenue here, so it seems like no problem. You may want consider offering an alternative layout instead, something innovative, that may be even cooler.

Thanks ideus, appreciate your advice on this. I thought the 5x 1u keys to the right of the spacebar was pretty innovative until I realized Apple did it in 1990 ;)