Author Topic: [Group Buy] Moogle Kit 2: Supplement Cherry Double Shots  (Read 45785 times)

Offline h0ngE

[Interest Check] Moogle Kit 2: Supplement Cherry Double Shots
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 06 August 2011, 19:30:36 »
menu v2 is also my favourite

Offline cycloverid

« Reply #151 on: Sat, 06 August 2011, 20:49:01 »
Yep, version 2 is the best.  That's because it's exactly like the Cherry menu design, but with some very slight changes to account for the manufacturing.  Only problem is, the middle bar on top can't be there as it is.  So we're left with something like version 1 or 3.

Ed:  'Perfectionist' or opinionated ? :P

Version 3 seems technically superior.  When you click on a tool bar menu, a combo box drops down with a list of items.  The tool bar menu field is a completely separate object.  To separate the two is actually visually more organized, intuitive, and functionally accurate.   But, maybe people will like version 1 more because of its more consistent look to the original Cherry design.  That is certainly a valid argument.  A vote is possibly in order?

I got the samples from Signature Plastics today - which was a lot faster than I expected.  Without a doubt GAW is the best match for beige.  The other close color (WAR - sounds cool huh?) is actually the same as GAW (proof:  SP said it themselves).  Just eye-balling it, GAW looks almost indistinguishable from the Cherry beige.  Does anyone want photos?

Offline lootbag

« Reply #152 on: Sat, 06 August 2011, 21:05:53 »
(1) WHITE

please and thanks!

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #153 on: Mon, 08 August 2011, 02:12:26 »
CeeSA (1)WHITE (1)BLACK
thanks

Offline arc2

« Reply #154 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 01:50:00 »
arc2 (2)WHITE (2)BLACK

Thanks!

Offline Grond

« Reply #155 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 05:04:05 »
I guess it's mostly windows users here, but personally I won't be using windows keys nor the menu key. I'd like to suggest to include a neutral system key (maybe a cherry "star" key) and a blank, if anyone is interested...

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #156 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 08:19:20 »
The whole point of this kit is to duplicate a specific style of keys from Cherry.  If you want some random other key, hit up GB4.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline cycloverid

« Reply #157 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 12:59:08 »
Just wanted to say:

The legend boldness between the white/beige and the black keys are different.  The black keys have noticeably bolder legends.  I've seen this for a while now, just refused to admit it until it came time to measure.

The workaround using only one set of legends is obviously to go in between the two.  Personally, I'm okay with this - seeing as the discrepancy will be minimal.  

:(  Thoughts?

I finished the legends.  I ultimately went with a menu design as some of you have referred to as version 1  (I think more people will be happy with this).   I will try to see if I can get the exact pricing today.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 August 2011, 13:18:10 by cycloverid »

Offline cycloverid

« Reply #158 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 13:40:22 »
Ripster!

I was just looking through your nice high res shots for examples of this.  The individual letters are very much the same, but check out the control, shift, alt, etc.  On these keys, the boldness is in fact different...  unless you have examples of models that I'm not looking at.

Offline Atenacius

« Reply #159 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 14:21:56 »
It could just be different affects from the molding process when the plastics fuse together.

Keychron Q6 GATERON G PRO YELLOW
Vortex Pok3r CHERRY MX RED
Das Keyboard Model S CHERRY MX BLUE
IBM Model M
1391401 09 MAR 93

Offline dux

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 15:15:26 »
Quote from: cycloverid;394405
Just eye-balling it, GAW looks almost indistinguishable from the Cherry beige.  Does anyone want photos?

I'll just believe you. Starting this group buy does mean you are perfectionist enough.

So please, I would like to change my order from (2)BLACK to (1)WHITE and (1)BLACK.

Offline cycloverid

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 15:32:32 »
dux:  the color will be the same as in the last group buy.  Comparing a molded key to a flat plastic strip by eye isn't the most exact process though.  It looks very close though, and it is easily the closest match they have.  We don't really have another option anyway :)

Regarding legend boldness:

Optical illusion is what my intuition told me at first.  But under close examination, they are clearly different on a digital image.  The material interaction could be a possibility - but that makes my head ache a bit.

Unfortunately, I don't actually HAVE a cherry black key set.  I have a couple sets of white/beige.  If I could get a single black control, alt, windows, etc key I could measure them with a more exact instrument (ex: calipers).  Otherwise it's going to be digital overlays.. which will probably turn out just fine.  Either way, it's going to be damn close.

EDIT: Like I said earlier, I have a finalized legend set that is basically exactly between white and black boldness, we're talking .07mm difference.  It's very, very close to both.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 August 2011, 15:38:27 by cycloverid »

Offline Atenacius

« Reply #162 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 15:41:18 »
Sounds awesome. I'm sure if it were to be sent out now, the result would still be a vast improvement over the original. Don't kill yourself over it, it's going to be great

IBM Model M
1391401 09 MAR 93

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 16:00:20 »
So, are we ready to pre-pay and get the order to SP?  Thanks.

Offline Torgee

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 16:02:43 »
(1) WHITE

for me pls,
thx

edit: removed black set from order
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 August 2011, 19:13:23 by Torgee »

Offline cycloverid

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 16:02:45 »
I'm working on getting pricing.  There is apparently a problem with the submitted SVG's.  Something about fonts needing a line through the middle?  Working it out...

I'll get a final price and probably set a hard lock date for orders for the end of the week possibly.

Offline cycloverid

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 17:55:37 »
The process (on the wiki here) for setting up an SVG file to be submitted to Signature Plastics failed to mention a critical aspect of their process: the cutter follows the guide path (or single line) and a thickness is then assigned.

In other words, my current files are incorrect and need to be redone.  I'll need some time to do this...  very frustrating.

Interesting that this kind of information isn't more readily available.  As if everyone submitting SVG files to them already understands their process.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 August 2011, 17:58:54 by cycloverid »

Offline Atenacius

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 18:49:01 »
Quote from: cycloverid;396098
The process (on the wiki here) for setting up an SVG file to be submitted to Signature Plastics failed to mention a critical aspect of their process: the cutter follows the guide path (or single line) and a thickness is then assigned.

In other words, my current files are incorrect and need to be redone.  I'll need some time to do this...  very frustrating.

Interesting that this kind of information isn't more readily available.  As if everyone submitting SVG files to them already understands their process.

That sounds really limited for designing custom fonts but really easy to set up simple ones at the same time. If only this had been brought to light sooner.

IBM Model M
1391401 09 MAR 93

Offline cycloverid

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 19:06:46 »
On the bright side, the width seems consistent overall on a Cherry keyboard.  So, I'd venture a guess that the process is similar in the old Cherry manufacturing as well?  Might also explain why older letters/symbols are round and newer ones are sharp.

Much more limited than I imagined though, yes.  Might want to update the wiki with this.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 August 2011, 19:09:42 by cycloverid »

Offline soulfree914

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 21:05:29 »
Is there any possibility of adding a winkeyless set? (1.5 ctrl, alt.. 7'' space bar.. etc.)
A proud member of OTD & GeekHack

Offline cycloverid

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 10 August 2011, 15:41:15 »
soulfree914:  it seems like most people don't need these keys, so probably no.  I have a couple extras though (probably one good set + one fairly used set) of the white/beige.  If I somehow end up sending these out I'll include them for you in your order.

I know a couple of you are probably getting impatient at this point -  So here's an update on how things are going:

This weekend is totally booked for me.  I wasn't planning on having a lot to do this weekend since I thought everything was mostly finalized.  I will work extra hard on monday/tuesday after work to finish these to the new specifications and then send them out to SP.

Again, sorry everyone.  Please be patient for the next few days.... and then we can do pre-payments and get these things started.

EDIT:  This thread is getting somewhat messy.  As soon as send out the SVG's, I think I'll start a new [Group Buy] thread with the current order list.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 August 2011, 17:10:21 by cycloverid »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 10 August 2011, 16:11:31 »
I'd like to remove my interest in the white set. I no longer have any need for it.

Offline iWuzHere

« Reply #172 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 19:45:55 »
Could i please get a set of (1) WHITE
Keyboard(s):
DAS Model S professional Cherry MX Blue
steelseries 6GV2 Cherry MX Black
F21-7D Blue ALPS
Noppoo Choc Mini Cherry MX Brown
Leopold FC200RE/AB Cherry MX Clear
Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Red
Poker X Cherry MX Red
Filco MJ2 Ninja Cherry MX Blue
Ducky DK-9087 Dragon Cherry MX Red

Offline the_buff

« Reply #173 on: Fri, 12 August 2011, 23:43:14 »
Add a set of (1) White to mine.

Thanks

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #174 on: Fri, 12 August 2011, 23:47:31 »
I'd like to change my order (back) to:

(1) BLACK
(1) WHITE

When is the cut-off?

Offline gilgam

« Reply #175 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 11:31:44 »
(1) BLACK
(1) WHITE
i have to order via GB4 yes ?
Realforce 105 FR, HHKB Pro 2 black, 1 Raptor K1 Black Cherry and 1 Raptor K1 Red Cherry , Compag MX 11800  tBrown Cherry, G80-3000 Clear Cherry , G80-1000 Blue Cherry / Ghetto red, Lexmark 1992 SSK Buckling spring, Unicomp 2011 Customizer 102 Buckling spring
and a few rubber dome/scissors keyboards from Apple/Logitech

Offline soulfree914

« Reply #176 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 22:30:55 »
Quote from: cycloverid;396608
soulfree914:  it seems like most people don't need these keys, so probably no.  I have a couple extras though (probably one good set + one fairly used set) of the white/beige.  If I somehow end up sending these out I'll include them for you in your order.

Thanks! I certainly appreciate that. Anything you need from my side? I'll try to find it here(OTD, KBDMANIA) if you are looking for anything in particular..

Offline Atenacius

« Reply #177 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 22:50:59 »
Quote from: gilgam;398238
(1) BLACK
(1) WHITE
i have to order via GB4 yes ?

No, this is separate from Group Buy 4 so that we can can these quicker.

IBM Model M
1391401 09 MAR 93

Offline soulfree914

« Reply #178 on: Tue, 16 August 2011, 08:36:11 »
cycloverid: Can you add 2 BLACK sets to my previous request? (that is... 2 BLACKs, 3 WHITEs in total)
                Thanks! :-)

Offline Goly

« Reply #179 on: Tue, 16 August 2011, 17:28:44 »
We are more than 100 \o/

When it's going to be the cut off?

Offline cycloverid

« Reply #180 on: Tue, 16 August 2011, 17:36:14 »
Sorry guys, very unproductive weekend as I said it would be last week.

There is no official cutoff date yet.  As soon as I submit the new SVG files (I will in the next couple days), I will create a new order thread with all the existing orders and a cut-off date.

You will not have to resubmit anything unless you want something changed.

Sorry for the hiatus, things will resume soon.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 August 2011, 17:38:32 by cycloverid »

Offline soulfree914

« Reply #181 on: Tue, 16 August 2011, 23:39:42 »
Please update my order to: WHITE 5, BLACK 2

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #182 on: Wed, 17 August 2011, 00:15:45 »
Quote from: soulfree914;400207
Please update my order to: WHITE 5, BLACK 2

Wow!  You have so many sets of white Cherry?

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #183 on: Wed, 17 August 2011, 08:47:55 »
(1)BLACK

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 August 2011, 08:50:14 by kidchunks »
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline soulfree914

« Reply #184 on: Wed, 17 August 2011, 20:24:22 »
Quote from: litster;400221
Wow!  You have so many sets of white Cherry?

Nope. two sets are for my friend.

Offline cycloverid

« Reply #185 on: Fri, 19 August 2011, 18:43:50 »
Well, I submitted the final SVG files.  Everything is okay there, and the prices are reasonable.  But.....

UNEXPECTED SURPRISE #2

I've been JUST told now that pricing can't be combined on multiple colors.  So, this means that if we get 50 white and 50 black keys, it's essentially like we're paying for 100 sets at a 50 set rate.  Make sense?

The pricing is also very high for 50 sets.  When I originally asked for pricing for 9 keys, she said it was $12 if we hit 50 sets.  Now she is quoting the price at $16 for one additional key at 50 sets.  This company certainly doesn't make things plain and simple.

Personally, I'm confused.  I'm okay with paying like $18-19 per set myself, but I know some of you were expecting possibly a lot less.  

Looks like I won't have a grand total price until Monday though.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 August 2011, 18:46:16 by cycloverid »

Offline N8N

« Reply #186 on: Fri, 19 August 2011, 19:01:39 »
I'm not ecstatic about the pricing, but I'd still be in for a few sets... otherwise my poor keyboard will look all mismatched and unhappy.  (yeah, I know, the same was true of the Cherry keyboard I stole the doubleshots from, but still, my desk deserves better.)  And I'm hoping that the GB for the white doubleshots works out, 'cause I really want some of those.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline xbb

« Reply #187 on: Fri, 19 August 2011, 19:18:45 »
Quote from: cycloverid;401932
Well, I submitted the final SVG files.  Everything is okay there, and the prices are reasonable.  But.....

UNEXPECTED SURPRISE #2

I've been JUST told now that pricing can't be combined on multiple colors.  So, this means that if we get 50 white and 50 black keys, it's essentially like we're paying for 100 sets at a 50 set rate.  Make sense?

The pricing is also very high for 50 sets.  When I originally asked for pricing for 9 keys, she said it was $12 if we hit 50 sets.  Now she is quoting the price at $16 for one additional key at 50 sets.  This company certainly doesn't make things plain and simple.

Personally, I'm confused.  I'm okay with paying like $18-19 per set myself, but I know some of you were expecting possibly a lot less.  

Looks like I won't have a grand total price until Monday though.
I'm ok with that as long they don't make mistakes!

Offline Atenacius

« Reply #188 on: Fri, 19 August 2011, 19:37:59 »
I'm still in, this is the only way we can complete our sets without having to modify pieces ourselves. Reaching 50 for white seems harder, though.

I do want to try to stay below $19-20. They shouldn't be telling you figures and then changing it up on you like that.

Edit: I guess I underestimated the demand for white sets only because I didn't need them. Sounds like that works out well. I thought we would be short by 20
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 August 2011, 19:46:35 by Atenacius »

IBM Model M
1391401 09 MAR 93

Offline cycloverid

« Reply #189 on: Fri, 19 August 2011, 19:40:48 »
I'm going to also be ordering one test key that will ship first.  Any mistakes should be caught here and corrected before all the rest are manufactured.

At $65 it is well worth the security in my mind.  Split more than a hundred ways, this shouldn't be an issue as far as cost.

Atenacious:  I did a quick count and it's like 52 Black, 55 White

Offline the_buff

« Reply #190 on: Fri, 19 August 2011, 21:01:18 »
Hmmmm....make that 51 Black and 55 White

At $18-19 a set I'm going to need to have you move me from

(3) BLACK and (1) WHITE

to

(2) BLACK and (1) WHITE

Offline Atenacius

« Reply #191 on: Fri, 19 August 2011, 21:31:56 »
I hope everyone is keeping track of the updates. Others may want to pull out with the price change. Is there a way to mass PM everyone?

IBM Model M
1391401 09 MAR 93

Offline spdx

« Reply #192 on: Sat, 20 August 2011, 02:55:09 »
I'm in for 2 x Blacks.
Thanks a lot.

Offline Grond

« Reply #193 on: Sat, 20 August 2011, 03:02:04 »
I guess if the final price is too high we could merge this MO with Round4. And wait forever, I know. But personally, I won't spend more than 20/25$ for one set.

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #194 on: Sat, 20 August 2011, 03:23:00 »
Quote from: Atenacius;402001
I hope everyone is keeping track of the updates. Others may want to pull out with the price change. Is there a way to mass PM everyone?

I think aggiejy‎ mass PMed everyone using scripts for the RGB keycaps

Offline agor

« Reply #195 on: Sat, 20 August 2011, 03:27:25 »
You could also just update the opening post with the latest news, I find it difficult to keep track over the various pages and if I would try to find the latest picture I would be lost
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline gilgam

« Reply #196 on: Sat, 20 August 2011, 07:29:33 »
Update my order please :-)

2 black and
2 white
Realforce 105 FR, HHKB Pro 2 black, 1 Raptor K1 Black Cherry and 1 Raptor K1 Red Cherry , Compag MX 11800  tBrown Cherry, G80-3000 Clear Cherry , G80-1000 Blue Cherry / Ghetto red, Lexmark 1992 SSK Buckling spring, Unicomp 2011 Customizer 102 Buckling spring
and a few rubber dome/scissors keyboards from Apple/Logitech

Offline rightbraingeek

« Reply #197 on: Sat, 20 August 2011, 10:42:15 »
Quote from: cycloverid;401932

Very true. My cost went from 6 x $13 = $78 to $114 wo/shipping;  I would need to lower my order total; probably cut the number of sets down to 3-4.
FKBN104M/EB2 |  DK9000 | DK9008G2 |[/B] FKBN104MC/EB2 NEW! | LEOPOLD TKL NEWEST! | (On the GB-R4 Yellow Brick Road ... :D )

Offline cycloverid

« Reply #198 on: Sat, 20 August 2011, 15:43:58 »
Hey guys,

I'm just updating those of you following this thread with the latest news.  Don't feel like anyone is going to miss out on the info.

I will definitely be starting a new order thread, which clearly states all the final pricing.  I originally expected all of this to be a lot simpler.

Updating the main page isn't a bad idea at all though to get an idea sooner than later of the numbers.  I do hope we can keep the orders around 90+, but I do expect anyone with 3-6 sets to drop 1-3.

*** Everyone marked like this has 4 or more orders that have not confirmed based on the new pricing.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 August 2011, 15:59:37 by cycloverid »

Offline xbb

« Reply #199 on: Sat, 20 August 2011, 16:10:48 »
Quote from: cycloverid;402390
Hey guys,

I'm just updating those of you following this thread with the latest news.  Don't feel like anyone is going to miss out on the info.

I will definitely be starting a new order thread, which clearly states all the final pricing.  I originally expected all of this to be a lot simpler.

Updating the main page isn't a bad idea at all though to get an idea sooner than later of the numbers.  I do hope we can keep the orders around 90+, but I do expect anyone with 3-6 sets to drop 1-3.

*** Everyone marked like this has 4 or more orders that have not confirmed based on the new pricing.
I'm ok with the pricing