Author Topic: [IC] Prime_E : Ergo 45% - Updated 4/24/19:revised sample. GB starts May 3rd  (Read 70480 times)

Offline leexy

will zfrontier be a proxy for this gb?  :(

Offline holtenc

Great board!

- is there an eta on when will the gb start? (Or gb will start as soon as you decide which manufacturer to go for)
- is the quantity capped at a certain figure and raffle will be implemented when the sale exceeds the figure? (I remember the MOQ is 80?)
- will the stab be plate mount only or we can choose for ourselves?

Thanks for your time and effort!

- decided to have another made due to some small changes. That will push the start date back some. So now aiming for end of April or early May. Sorry I can't be more specific right now.
- the MOQ is not 80. I was simply stating how many kits were need for me to recoupe my prototyping expenses. Which is actually irrelevant and probably shouldn't have been said. MOQ is 40. Quantity is not capped. However many orders there are after a 2 week period is how many will be ordered.
- stabs are PCB mount only.

Offline holtenc

will zfrontier be a proxy for this gb?  :(
No, but there will likely be a Korean based GB.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 April 2019, 22:26:59 by holtenc »

Offline cijanzen

Great board!

- is there an eta on when will the gb start? (Or gb will start as soon as you decide which manufacturer to go for)
- is the quantity capped at a certain figure and raffle will be implemented when the sale exceeds the figure? (I remember the MOQ is 80?)

- decided to have another made due to some small changes. That will push the start date back some. So now aiming for end of April or early May. Sorry I can't be more specific right now.
- the MOQ is not 80. I was simply stating how many kits were need for me to recoupe my prototyping expenses. Which is actually irrelevant and probably shouldn't have been said. MOQ is 40. Quantity is not capped. However many orders there are after a 2 week period is how many will be ordered.

A few more weeks to save up some funds! I think the wait is worth it to get it just right and I’ll still be on board when it’s ready to go.

Offline senryo

• Problems are challenges.
    • Thic Thock

Great board!

Thank you for the swift response. I’m sorry I didn’t catch the update coz I usually just go through the first post to see your update, may I know what kind of small change will that be?

Offline cijanzen

Great board!

Thank you for the swift response. I’m sorry I didn’t catch the update coz I usually just go through the first post to see your update, may I know what kind of small change will that be?

Read the thread. It’s all there already! Tightening up some tolerances around spacebars and plate sunk in a bit more.

Offline snelltrail

Just in case anyone hasn't seen already: Quakemz built the prototype on Top Clack last week! It looks great!

Offline holtenc

Just in case anyone hasn't seen already: Quakemz built the prototype on Top Clack last week! It looks great!

Thanks snelltrail.

Just a quick update while I'm here. Still waiting on that revised sample. I'll post some pictures of it once I have it on hand.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline cijanzen

Thanks snelltrail.

Just a quick update while I'm here. Still waiting on that revised sample. I'll post some pictures of it once I have it on hand.

Nice I hadn’t seen this so thanks for sharing snelltrail! Will hopefully tide me over until we all get these in hand…

Offline vicissitude

Love this keeb.
Nice and delicate.  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline turbosloth

Watching the vid, I only just noticed the PCB has 'north' facing orientation for the switches. I know its close to GB time but is that 100% set (or is the other way impossible due to space constraints)? I've found that GMK R3 caps fouls on the switch housing for everything except BOX switches, so would really prefer to avoid that.

Offline holtenc

Watching the vid, I only just noticed the PCB has 'north' facing orientation for the switches. I know its close to GB time but is that 100% set (or is the other way impossible due to space constraints)? I've found that GMK R3 caps fouls on the switch housing for everything except BOX switches, so would really prefer to avoid that.
They are north facing mostly due to space along the top edge for USB. And yeah, it's pretty much too late to change the PCB anyway.

It's funny... I've never encountered a problem with north facing switches and GMK caps.

Offline turbosloth

Yeah, its strange because some people just don't seem to notice it, but after having to deal with north facing on a stock Coolermaster with new GMK for 6 months I eventually had to desolder and handwire it to get them around the right way for me to handle it. It just changes the sound and feel on that row in a way that gnawed at me, especially if you bottom out a lot like I do. Might look into grabbing some washers OLKB sell or something.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 April 2019, 07:03:16 by turbosloth »

Offline holtenc

Did your stock cooler master have massive 3mm LEDs sitting on top of the switches?

Offline turbosloth

Hahah nah, the LEDs were SMD and sort of shone through the switch/ hole in the PCB like this. It's not a huge clash or anything, but the sound and feel changes. Still, will look if I can live with it or shave my switches or something given I've been looking for this layout in a quality board for a while.

Offline holtenc

Small update. The revised top part of case is shipping tomorrow.

Offline nothingzzz

Sounds great

Offline Obe

Is there any price estimate by chance? Really interested in this board!

Offline r4wromg

Is there any price estimate by chance? Really interested in this board!

Price estimate from a recent Reddit thread:

"It's going to be expensive. I haven't worked out final pricing but all I can say right now is it's going to be over $300 but less than $330. Price breaks at certain MOQs."
"I'll put this out there: I need 80 or so GB participants just to recoupe expenses."

Offline regionfree

oh, that's nice, since it's a 2-piece kit, bottom can be reused. saved time prototyping!
btw, will there be a POLYCARB version? :D leaning on a mixed alu + poly top/bottom combo :D

Offline holtenc

oh, that's nice, since it's a 2-piece kit, bottom can be reused. saved time prototyping!
btw, will there be a POLYCARB version? :D leaning on a mixed alu + poly top/bottom combo :D

No there will not be a PC option for either the top or bottom parts. sorry.

Offline senryo

• Problems are challenges.
    • Thic Thock
I watched the prime e prototype build stream. It feels like its very difficult to plug in the switches, will this problem be fixed?

Offline holtenc

I watched the prime e prototype build stream. It feels like its very difficult to plug in the switches, will this problem be fixed?
The switch holes are a bit tight. Working on it.

Offline gotjuicemate

im really liking the red case color

Offline KingOfMemes

That beige colorway is lowkey heat

Offline cijanzen

Laura Palmer? Is that you?

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder

Laura Palmer? Is that you?

where are we? The Geek Lodge?
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline holtenc

Offline GigaFlop

The estimated price is steep, but I'm going to see what my wallet looks like when ti comes around. This would be a cool addition to the collection.
Oh god why did my wallet get so thin

Offline holtenc

revised sample is in. Much better on those bezels. Top picture is new sample. Bottom is hold.

Offline cijanzen

revised sample is in. Much better on those bezels. Top picture is new sample. Bottom is hold.

Show Image

Show Image

Oh yeah! That’s much tighter. Great job!

Can’t wait for this to start!

Offline regionfree

Show Image

Show Image

that new sample looks perfect! this is ready!

final checks, then green?

Offline holtenc

Show Image

Show Image

that new sample looks perfect! this is ready!

final checks, then green?

Think so. Case is good. PCB is good. Should probably get an updated price from PCB factory since it's been a while. I've already got all the screws and rubber bumpons.

I think I can tentatively say GB opens May 3. Weehoo.

Offline Rexios

I’m so hyped. This will be my first build. Let’s gooooo!

Offline apossardt

My body is ready. At this point, any keyboard smaller than a 60% that goes into group buy is instantly accounted for in my budget

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline bassmaniax

My wallet is ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline holtenc

My body is ready. At this point, any keyboard smaller than a 60% that goes into group buy is instantly accounted for in my budget

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’m so hyped. This will be my first build. Let’s gooooo!

My wallet is ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Love this board.  How do you guys map your apostrophe?

Offline Xynerorias

• Lubin' with glicerin
Damn I love it but I find it so expensive, I know it's the layout but more than 300 for a 45%...  :'(

Offline holtenc

Damn I love it but I find it so expensive, I know it's the layout but more than 300 for a 45%...  :'(
Yep I agree. The cost of non-chinese manufacturing unfortunately.

Offline nothingzzz

Definitely in for the GB

Offline ninjacore

I know $300 keeps getting tossed around, but I don't see a price estimate in the OP (it's marked off in the to-do list, however).

Also, maybe a noob 40% question, but would it be possible to get a keycap sizing list for the modifiers?

Offline Rexios

There was a Reddit thread where he said it would probably be $300-$330.

Offline holtenc

I know $300 keeps getting tossed around, but I don't see a price estimate in the OP (it's marked off in the to-do list, however).

Also, maybe a noob 40% question, but would it be possible to get a keycap sizing list for the modifiers?

It will be $320 for the kit. Extra PCBs will be $40. There will be an option for either all white indicator LEDs or an RGB mix. The LEDs will not come pre-soldered.

Here's a pic that shows keycap sizing:

Offline cijanzen

[IC] Prime_E : Ergo 45% - Updated 4/24/19:revised sample. GB starts May 3rd
« Reply #295 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 13:25:01 »

It will be $320 for the kit. Extra PCBs will be $40. There will be an option for either all white indicator LEDs or an RGB mix. The LEDs will not come pre-soldered.

Here's a pic that shows keycap sizing:

Show Image

Pricing sounds quite reasonable to me considering how much time and money you put into prototyping. I’ll be in for one and +1 PCB.

Will the indicator leds be surface mount?
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 April 2019, 17:14:34 by cijanzen »

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
Was hoping for little cheaper pricing. I'll have to pass. Really awesome keeb either way :)

Offline holtenc

Was hoping for little cheaper pricing. I'll have to pass. Really awesome keeb either way :)

Understandable. Thanks man.

Pricing sounds quite reasonable to me considering how much time and money you put into prototyping and also it being made stateside. I’ll be in for one and +1 PCB.

The US based manufacturer got very busy and hasn't completed their sample yet. I just can't wait any longer and it doesn't look like they will have time to complete the production run in a timely manner. So I'm going with the Korean manufacturer that did the samples I'm been showing pictures of. They have made many high quality keyboards for various GBs and I trust their work.

The indicator LEDs are reverse surface mount. Just a fancy way of saying they're surface mount and the LED protrudes into a cutout in the PCB. You can catch a glimpse of them here:
https://imgur.com/a/vx483zM

They're very easy to solder.

Offline cijanzen

Understandable. Thanks man.

Pricing sounds quite reasonable to me considering how much time and money you put into prototyping and also it being made stateside. I’ll be in for one and +1 PCB.

The US based manufacturer got very busy and hasn't completed their sample yet. I just can't wait any longer and it doesn't look like they will have time to complete the production run in a timely manner. So I'm going with the Korean manufacturer that did the samples I'm been showing pictures of. They have made many high quality keyboards for various GBs and I trust their work.

The indicator LEDs are reverse surface mount. Just a fancy way of saying they're surface mount and the LED protrudes into a cutout in the PCB. You can catch a glimpse of them here:
https://imgur.com/a/vx483zM

Yep that makes sense for the LEDs. As for price I’m in either way!

Offline dr_unconscionable

• [sqeleton]
Agree, pricing sounds totally reasonable. I wish I had the money for it because the aluminum case looks amazing, but these pricy GBs hurt even more in Canada, with currency conversion and import duties. I would definitely grab a PCB and try to print or cut a case for it over here though!
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 April 2019, 23:11:59 by dr_unconscionable »