Author Topic: The Eezeboard: AHK script to put navigation at the home position(s!)  (Read 8947 times)

Offline Rajagra

I made my Squeezeboard layout some time ago, and have been using it. But although it proved a point, it wasn't the friendliest layout. Even I didn't use all the features, so I doubt anyone else did.

So I've made a simpler version: The Eezeboard!

Important changes are:
    [*]Haven't emulated all possible keys for the sake of it;
    [*]Arrow keys are under the index, middle, and ring fingers;
    [*]The important keys are on both sides, so good for left or right-handed users, and makes choosing a Fn-shift key more flexible;
    [*]Can now choose a Windows key to act as Fn (but I'm finding the Right Windows key less than 100% reliable for some reason.)
    [*]This script uses key scan codes instead of description wherever possible - so should work consistently whatever language layout is used.
    [/LIST]

As before, the script handles modifiers well, so you can do things like Ctrl-Shift-Right to highlight a word. This works best with NKRO keyboards, but the option to use a Windows key as the Fn shifter opens up the possibility of everything working on a non-NKRO board.

For bulletproof operation, I recommend using KeyTweak or other registry setting app to make one (or both) Windows keys act as a different key (KeyTweak gives the Macintosh Equals key as a particularly useful option) then telling my Eezeboard script to use that modifier when you run it.

N.B. The lock feature needs explaining:
    Shift Fn Tab toggles Caps Lock. (Caps Lock is like a Shift Lock!)
    Control Fn Tab toggles Scroll Lock. (Control rhymes with Scroll!)
    Alt Fn Tab toggles Num Lock. (Alt was left over!)

In case you are using Windows' advanced key settings so Shift turns Caps Lock off, you can also just do Fn Tab to toggle Caps Lock.

What you do with the normal Caps Lock key is your business.
    « Last Edit: Thu, 03 June 2010, 05:34:33 by Rajagra »

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
      • DreymaR's Big Bag of Kbd Tricks
    The Eezeboard: AHK script to put navigation at the home position(s!)
    « Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 June 2010, 07:34:25 »
    Mine is bigger than yours!  :)

I see the geometric argument for putting Ins and Del to the left of the others (on the right hand, which sets the standard I suppose), but this gives the Ins key a too prominent position in my opinion. Also, you don't have a Backspace key which I find essential to my own version. I even nearly insist on having the Backspace on a home position, not only home row. Therefore, I still think that my version with Back on the pinky home position and Del directly above it is better. For me. Which doesn't come as much of a surprise I suppose.  :)
    Better burden you cannot carry than man-wisdom much ~ Hávamál

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 June 2010, 07:55:23 »
    My Caps Lock key is mapped as a Backspace, so that clouds my judgement. :smile:

Remember that my script is intended as an additional layer to a normal layout, it isn't meant to replace anything. It might even stack with other AutoHotkey scripts? I haven't tried that.

Insert and Delete are mostly useless to me, but they are vital to some users, so I gave them the same priority as the other navigation keys on principle. Pause is another candidate for being dropped completely.

I might change the 'G' key to act as backspace. Maybe the 'T' key could be used for something better. Any suggestions? *

In this revision I wanted to keep everything easily memorable. That is why Page Up / Page Down are under the pinkie on both hands rather than having the left/right sides completely identical.

Edit> * Maybe Enter from the numeric pad would be useful:

Edit> Updated file to ver 1.02, adds Explore command on ] key.

Here is how latest version looks on HHKB with Left Windows key unmodified by the DIP switch and used as the the layer shift for my script:

« Last Edit: Thu, 03 June 2010, 05:40:23 by Rajagra »

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
      • DreymaR's Big Bag of Kbd Tricks
    « Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 June 2010, 12:02:27 »
    Do you feel the need for a Browser Refresh button? I dropped that one, given that F5 (i.e., Extend+5) does the same job in the browsers I use at least.

On the other hand, I use the Media Player, Browse Home (which opens a browser!), and Explore (i.e., App1) buttons a lot, with App2/Calculator as a runner-up. As you know, those are kept on the physical F# buttons in my layout.

Browse Back/Forward and Wheel Up/Down are nearly my favourites.

What does the Run button do?

In general, keep in mind what buttons you (and others you intend your layout for) use the most, and make those most accessible. Do you really use Vol Up/Down all that much for instance? Maybe you do - but for me it's quite enough to have those on my F# buttons.

Hang on - you don't have physical F# buttons do you? However, on a HHKB you could map to the F# buttons and use the Fn button on the keyboard to make it work I suppose?
    Better burden you cannot carry than man-wisdom much ~ Hávamál

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 June 2010, 12:22:45 »
    Browser Refresh is just a filler function as there was a key spare. As I've used browser forward/back it just completes the set.
    Run is just Windows R, lets you type a command.

I made this to use on a wide variety of keyboards that I have. Full size/tenkeyless/HHKB. ISO/ANSI. With/without Windows keys. The only thing that is reasonably consistent between them is the core typing area, so I've used that to remap to the other keys. So for me this script helps me standardise all my boards, as well as do everything from the home area.

Offline End0rphine

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 February 2011, 03:22:12 »
    I was wondering if it was possible to make an Fn lock for the HHKB using an AHK script?

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 February 2011, 07:55:04 »
    to use this layout, you have to press and hold the selected funktion key.
    is there a way to press the FN key once for activate this Layout and if you press again return to the normal layout.
    i like this kind of layout but i dislike that i have to press down the fn key the whole time.

Offline seferphier

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 February 2012, 05:30:22 »
    thanks for releasing this.

I don't understand exactly how to install this though. Could someone run me through it? What do I do after downloading the script?

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 08 February 2012, 16:43:09 »
    Quote from: seferphier;509107
    thanks for releasing this.

I don't understand exactly how to install this though. Could someone run me through it? What do I do after downloading the script?

You have to rename the file to eezeboard.ahk
    (I had to change it to .txt to host it on this site.)
    Once you've downloaded and installed AutoHotkey you can then 'run' the .ahk file.

Alternatively you can run a compiled version. I've put it here:
    http://www.g-ray.co.uk/Eezeboard/Eezeboard.exe

I also made a simplified version that might be preferable, here:
    http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?26266-remapping-arrow-key-on-hhkb&p=493590&viewfull=1#post493590

Offline seferphier

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 08 February 2012, 22:48:30 »
    Quote from: Rajagra;509468
    You have to rename the file to eezeboard.ahk
    (I had to change it to .txt to host it on this site.)
    Once you've downloaded and installed AutoHotkey you can then 'run' the .ahk file.

Alternatively you can run a compiled version. I've put it here:
    http://www.g-ray.co.uk/Eezeboard/Eezeboard.exe

I also made a simplified version that might be preferable, here:
    http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?26266-remapping-arrow-key-on-hhkb&p=493590&viewfull=1#post493590

Cheers! thanks so much!