Author Topic: GH60 Group Buy (Salvage Mode: Enabled - Update in OP)  (Read 1621125 times)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #650 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 20:54:12 »
That's right, whiskeytango. I forgot about that!

nubbinator: for the Poker layout, he will need a 6.25x stabilizer. Those are prevalent in both Costar and Cherry.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #651 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 21:14:38 »
I feel bad for asking this, but I don't wanna read thru 20 some pages.  Here's a few questions.

1. Switches do not come assembled if I order the assembly?
2. Does anybody know of any upcoming GB's for some aluminum poker cases?  Something similar to what imsto offered, because if there isn't any opportunity for a case, i'm out.

Offline Sai

« Reply #652 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 21:24:11 »
I feel bad for asking this, but I don't wanna read thru 20 some pages.  Here's a few questions.

1. Switches do not come assembled if I order the assembly?
2. Does anybody know of any upcoming GB's for some aluminum poker cases?  Something similar to what imsto offered, because if there isn't any opportunity for a case, i'm out.

Answer

1. Everything will be assembled in assembly service by JD and WFD. i.e. switches soldered, firmware flash, etc.
2. alixinhzai is selling poker acrlyic case soon. check here
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #653 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 22:18:33 »
I'd be happy to pay an extra 25$ assembly fee (plus the cost to order some leds) if you would solder in leds for mine?

1. I could be dead last if you want to deal with all the easy orders first
2. If you're too busy with all the other stuff and can't do it no worries!  ;D

(cross posted from the ic thread)

Also: I decided I want a second one do I just order again or do you/jd modify the order as it stands?

Thanks!

I'm not sure if I will be offering any custom services during the assembly phase. And I certainly can't speak to what WFD is thinking on that matter. But probably not, given the volume of orders we are likely to have for assembly. If I decide to offer limited modding services, I will post that here when it comes closer to delivery, and you could pay me directly. Of course, you are always free to contract with someone else for assembly and mods, if you want to do that.

I just want to be upfront about it, so that no one thinks that others will receive "special treatment," while they themselves are left to fend for these services on their own.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mbreslin

« Reply #654 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 22:37:30 »
That's fair it's just a service I'd use if someone was offering, I could tell by the post count between the two threads as well as tons of other threads where people mention GH60 that you'll all be very busy hence #2 from my post.

I have a hakko fx888 but I have a busy schedule as well as 3 young boys. Also I'm a mediocre at best solderer (as well as lazy).

Regarding a second pcb/plate/switch set do I just order again?

Thanks.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #655 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 23:22:10 »
That poker case is beautiful.  I don't know how to solder so I have to think about this one.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #656 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 23:50:05 »
Regarding a second pcb/plate/switch set do I just order again?

Underneath "ORDER FORM" and "POLL" in the OP is a link for "Order Changes." It's sort of hidden there. Just fill that out and we will update your order.

Also, for everyone, all order changes submitted to date have been updated in the spreadsheet.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #657 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 02:56:19 »
WFD said "The drawback is that you must use PCB-mounted cherry stabilizers, no other stabilizers option." for Universal Plates.

I'm wondering if this is true or not, assuming you don't plan to change any switches with stabs after putting it together. After viewing the PCB and universal Plates, my intuition tells me it'd be fine to use Plate mounted stabs and that Cherry PCB stabs are only recommended so people can move around stab area switches. Is my thinking correct?

Also, and this is related to the above, can we do more of a true HHKB (6.25 spacebar) with a 1.5x/1x to the right, thus making it look identical to an HHKB? Again, after looking at the PCB and universal Plate, it looks like it would work to me, but would probably require a Universal plate.

Edit - Errrr I guess there will probably be a problem with the stabs moving left and right making them not very stable lol. So no HHKB w/ 6.25 spacebar hmmm decisions decisions :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 April 2013, 03:10:31 by Jocelyn »

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #658 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 03:08:37 »
Will the plates be anodized is some form or just plain aluminum look?
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #659 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 03:21:46 »
WFD said "The drawback is that you must use PCB-mounted cherry stabilizers, no other stabilizers option." for Universal Plates.

I'm wondering if this is true or not, assuming you don't plan to change any switches with stabs after putting it together. After viewing the PCB and universal Plates, my intuition tells me it'd be fine to use Plate mounted stabs and that Cherry PCB stabs are only recommended so people can move around stab area switches. Is my thinking correct?
Of course it's true. Because I said so  ^-^

Actually the real reason why you can't use costar or plate-mounted cherry stabilizers is because these two mount directly on the plate. The universal design has an empty space where the stabilizers are suppose to clip onto the plate, and this space in the plate is needed for other switch positions of other layouts.

Also, for everyone, all order changes submitted to date have been updated in the spreadsheet.

Man there were about 50 new pending requests for order changes. Now I feel bad for leaving most of them. I didn't think you were going to do them all in 1 sitting.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #660 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 03:31:10 »

Stainless steel, it's in the OP. Steel can't be anodized, only painted or powder coated.

The reason why I went with stainless steel instead of aluminum is because even though it's stiffer than aluminum, it can be laser cut faster and use up less gas, so the cutting will cost a tad less, even though the material itself will cost ~3 times more. Also tolerance will be  tad better because it's less prone to melting and deforming.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #661 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 03:55:32 »

Stainless steel, it's in the OP. Steel can't be anodized, only painted or powder coated.

The reason why I went with stainless steel instead of aluminum is because even though it's stiffer than aluminum, it can be laser cut faster and use up less gas, so the cutting will cost a tad less, even though the material itself will cost ~3 times more. Also tolerance will be  tad better because it's less prone to melting and deforming.
Thank you I must have missed it, will place my order on sunday :)
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #662 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 07:05:42 »
On the right side, at top or bottom of posts, click unnotify.

Edit: or click Notifications at the top panel, click the checkbox next to the ones you don't want, and click unnotify.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 April 2013, 07:09:35 by esoomenona »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #663 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 07:23:27 »
Also, and this is related to the above, can we do more of a true HHKB (6.25 spacebar) with a 1.5x/1x to the right, thus making it look identical to an HHKB? Again, after looking at the PCB and universal Plate, it looks like it would work to me, but would probably require a Universal plate.

Edit - Errrr I guess there will probably be a problem with the stabs moving left and right making them not very stable lol. So no HHKB w/ 6.25 spacebar hmmm decisions decisions :)

Actually, the "exactly 100% true" HHKB layout is this: (1.5)-1.0-1.5-6.0-1.5-1.0-(1.0)-(1.5)

These switch positions are supported by the PCB. The 6.0-unit spacebar has an offset center stem, so that it uses the switch position for the 7.0-unit spacebar. However, I don't think the spacebar stabilizer holes exist on the PCB for the 6.0-unit spacebar's outer stems. I'm not totally sure about that, but I will check it in a bit and edit this section accordingly. Edit: The stabilizer holes for the 6.0-unit are basically a hybrid of the 7.0-unit spacebar's (left and center stems) and the 6.25-unit spacebar's (right stem). So you can actually make this layout work without a plate, or with the Universal plate (I think) with PCB-mount stabilizers.

There is currently (that I know of) only one case design that implements the blocked ends on the bottom row to replicate the HHKB design, and that's WFD's case. It would be up to him whether he wanted to change the design of the case top and plate to incorporate the rare 6.0-unit spacebar for a 100% true replica, or stay with the current design which utilizes the much more commonly found 7.0-unit spacebar. And (to my eye) fixes the asymmetry of the HHKB's bottom row.

For everyone else besides Jocelyn and jcrouse, don't worry, nothing has changed. Continue to place orders. No need to worry about this. It was posted as an FYI. Anyway, it's TL; so DR. :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 April 2013, 08:35:29 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #664 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 07:26:27 »
I agree with jd about the symmetry and availability. It just seems a much wiser choice.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #665 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 07:36:19 »
You want to remove them from there? I don't think you can do that...

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #666 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 10:17:10 »
Thanks WhiteFireDragon and jdcarpe. I was really more curious than anything and wanted to understand before I chose :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #667 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 10:20:59 »

Man there were about 50 new pending requests for order changes. Now I feel bad for leaving most of them. I didn't think you were going to do them all in 1 sitting.

Don't feel bad. I had been slacking, and decided to get some work done. :P

in memoriam

Offline jcrouse

Re: Re: GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #668 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 10:31:30 »

Don't feel bad. I had been slacking, and decided to get some work done. :P

Well, stop that and focus on this outstanding offer, priorities man, priorities.

John

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #669 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 10:37:47 »
Boom! LOL. ;D

* * *  REQUIRES RARE 6.0-UNIT SPACEBAR * * *

!!! EXAMPLE ONLY -- NOT CURRENTLY OFFERED FOR SALE IN THIS GB !!!

in memoriam

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #670 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 10:44:10 »
thats a 6x spacebar? why would someone want that?

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Re: Re: GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #671 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 10:45:21 »

HHKB replica :)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #672 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 10:45:57 »
Because everyone is different and people like different things and not always the same thing? :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #673 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 10:47:34 »
Just like why does someone want a 10x spacebar...'Cause they f*cking can. :D

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #674 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 10:48:36 »
Because everyone is different and people like different things and not always the same thing? :)

That is crazy talk. Keep it confined to the loony bin. :D
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #675 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 11:16:00 »

Actually, the "exactly 100% true" HHKB layout is this: (1.5)-1.0-1.5-6.0-1.5-1.0-(1.0)-(1.5)

These switch positions are supported by the PCB. The 6.0-unit spacebar has an offset center stem, so that it uses the switch position for the 7.0-unit spacebar. However, I don't think the spacebar stabilizer holes exist on the PCB for the 6.0-unit spacebar's outer stems. I'm not totally sure about that, but I will check it in a bit and edit this section accordingly. Edit: The stabilizer holes for the 6.0-unit are basically a hybrid of the 7.0-unit spacebar's (left and center stems) and the 6.25-unit spacebar's (right stem). So you can actually make this layout work without a plate, or with the Universal plate (I think) with PCB-mount stabilizers.

The universal plate will work with the HHKB replica bottom row. And not only that, you can actually mount plate-mounted cherry stabilizers for the spacebar. The Enter and L-shift key however must still use PCB-mounted stabilizers.

However, even if there was a dedicated plate like jdcarpe drew, the case must also match the bottom row. Since the right and left block are not the same size, I would have to make a new top cover. If you're fine with paying absurd prices to have one made, then I can design this one-off. But I can't force everyone to go with this HHKB replica because it REQUIRES a 6x spacebar, which is not easy to find, won't match all sets, and will most likely already be used.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #676 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 11:37:52 »
with all the effort, time, and money going into making a GH60 HHKB it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a HHKB.  the GH60 is an opportunity for people to make their own unique layouts. so what if you have a 6.25x or 7x spacebar? your board isnt a hhkb, it is a GH60 with cherry switches.  i guess i just see it as a waste of the GH60's full potential.

i am not telling any of yall what to do. just thought this line of thinking should be shared. also take what i say with a  grain of salt since i am not building a HHKB GH60, i am making 2 poker style ansi boards with a better function layer.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #677 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 11:38:44 »
The universal plate will work with the HHKB replica bottom row. And not only that, you can actually mount plate-mounted cherry stabilizers for the spacebar. The Enter and L-shift key however must still use PCB-mounted stabilizers.

However, even if there was a dedicated plate like jdcarpe drew, the case must also match the bottom row. Since the right and left block are not the same size, I would have to make a new top cover. If you're fine with paying absurd prices to have one made, then I can design this one-off. But I can't force everyone to go with this HHKB replica because it REQUIRES a 6x spacebar, which is not easy to find, won't match all sets, and will most likely already be used.

I'm down for a "true replica" top cover and plate, even if it's expensive. Maybe a couple other people would go in, as well?

I have 1 or 2 (can't remember) 6.0-unit spacebars in DSA profile coming from the DSA Retro GB.

with all the effort, time, and money going into making a GH60 HHKB it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a HHKB.

Except you get to use Cherry switches, and don't have to deal with rubber domes, er cups. ;D
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 April 2013, 11:40:15 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline hankz

« Reply #678 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 11:40:26 »
Boom! LOL. ;D

Show Image

woo~

Can i get poker layout plate for GH60 cad file.

i want to match my case to draw some hole for screw.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #679 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 11:45:11 »
Boom! LOL. ;D

Show Image

woo~

the holes on the plate are not 100% concentric with the hole in the PCB (at least for the poker plates I have), but are close enough to mount screws
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #680 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 11:47:22 »

If you're designing your own case, you need to reference standoffs to the PCB, not the plate. Only 1 of Those screw holes are correct, the rest are off.  alixinhzai designed the initial poker plate with those screw holes, and the positions are only approximated.

edit: Beast beat me to it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 April 2013, 11:49:55 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline hankz

« Reply #681 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 12:11:58 »
well~

i know that.

because i don't have any software to open pcb's cad file.

so i don't know the position is right or not.

maybe until i get the pcb.

thanks a lot

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #682 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 12:37:57 »
Fair Reasons for a 6x spacebar...i was just curious

anyhere here planning on getting that?

i have chaged my layout from hhkb to winkeyless

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #683 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 19:34:24 »
247 ordered so far...

in memoriam

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #684 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 19:41:34 »

We f*king can?  Really?  That would be awesome.  I suppose it is really a matter of plate-mounted stabs for the spacebar.

Sounds like a job for my WYSE terminal keycaps!

Universal plate supports this?

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  Apologies if this was all covered above, I try to keep up with the thread, but sometimes it zooms by too fast!
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #685 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 19:44:27 »

We f*king can?  Really?  That would be awesome.  I suppose it is really a matter of plate-mounted stabs for the spacebar.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

p.s.  Apologies if this was all covered above, I try to keep up with the thread, but sometimes it zooms by too fast!

No, there is no current plate that will support a 10x spacebar. Nor are there stabilizer holes in the correct places in the PCB for a 10x spacebar. The PCB supports the 1.5-1.0-10.0-1.0-1.5 layout with switch positions.

in memoriam

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #686 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 19:44:31 »

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

Haha, i'm not actually sure if the plate supports it. I just saw someone suggest the layout earlier in this thread. Sorry if I got your hopes up!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #687 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 19:47:37 »
6 unit space is not rare, you can get them off cheapo G81-7000 and the like. Unless someone doesn't want to use Cherry keycaps for some insane reason...

Offline Muffet

• Man of many paths
« Reply #688 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 20:14:59 »
well~

i know that.

thanks a lot

This. I have the opportunity to design my own case and machine out at my university, but I don't know the measurements needed. Is there any way the measurements for standoffs, overall dimensions for PCB, and plate and the like can be made available?

Painted QFR    Cherry ML for Work

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #689 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 20:20:33 »
Speaking of rare spacebars, how tricky would it be to get a 5x spacebar onto a GH60? The idea being to make a layout similar to the Apple keyboards.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #690 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 20:22:53 »
I can add plates for 6x and 10x spacebars, but they'll be made as "one-offs" as long as you understand it will cost more. Also IvanIvanovich's plate layout will be considered one-off too since the current quantity is exactly... zero lol.

Does anyone have a 6x and 10x spacebar you can take a pic of? Flip it over and take a pic of them right on top of a standard 6.25x spacebar. Align one of the outer stems for the stabilizer right on top of each other. I just need to visually see it to make the stem distances

6 unit space is not rare, you can get them off cheapo G81-7000 and the like. Unless someone doesn't want to use Cherry keycaps for some insane reason...
Maybe rare was a bad choice of words, but they're less common and harder to get than a 6.25x or 7x spacebar.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #691 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 20:35:49 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 April 2013, 20:40:25 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #692 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 20:39:23 »
This one is for Ron (and other 10x spacebar fans), again, just fictional...

WFD, the spacebar stem locations on my 6x and 10x plates are correct. I can send you the drawings if you like.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 April 2013, 20:41:58 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #693 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 20:43:42 »
Ha! I asked jd about a 10x spacebar when we met up last month... I think I would grab one of those plates. What kind of price estimate would you think for one off plates?

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #694 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 20:44:03 »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #695 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 20:46:14 »
Do you like big space bars? :P

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #696 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 20:46:57 »
Show Image

Whoah!  That 10x bar is a monster!

(It would totally look vintage on a GH60 board, with some retro spherical keys in a nice Dolch colorway...)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #697 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 20:52:15 »
I wish I still had my 15 units... but I used it to stir some paint then threw it out LOL.

Offline hankz

« Reply #698 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 20:53:58 »
well~

i know that.

thanks a lot

This. I have the opportunity to design my own case and machine out at my university, but I don't know the measurements needed. Is there any way the measurements for standoffs, overall dimensions for PCB, and plate and the like can be made available?

There is one thing that  I know  is the PCB's size.

So I design the case to match the PCB.

The other dimensions, you should get the final PCB that can be confirmed.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #699 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 20:57:34 »
I wish I still had my 15 units... but I used it to stir some paint then threw it out LOL.
15x!? Now we're just talkin' crazy...