Author Topic: GH60 Group Buy (Salvage Mode: Enabled - Update in OP)  (Read 1623107 times)

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Re: GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #750 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 16:25:23 »
A ridiculously large 10x spacebar in a compact keyboard. I like this contrast of an oversized key in a small form factor. It's on the plate I just posted above.

lol that's kinda sorta (not really) like putting a 680 in an SG05
Edit - I guess the above would be more comparable to using a 15x spacebar.

Carrying this over because I'm nice :)
Ok here's a new flexible plate so far. It will work with 10x, as well as some weird 8x and 9x spacebars. It supports both 1.5x and 1.25x modifiers if you're using a 10x spacebar. Obviously the inside switch slots will be covered up by the spacebar if you're using a 10x size. Those inner switch slots next to the stabilizer slots are there if you're somehow using a 8x or 9x size, but I'm not sure if the PCB has proper spacing for the correct keycap sizes there. Those two extras switch holes are there just in case.

With this, you MUST use plate-mounted cherry stabilizers for the spacebar. Costar is not option because making the wire for it will be a pain the ass. PCB-mounted stabilizers is not an option because the PCB does not have holes there. The rest of smaller stabilizers must use PCB-mounted cherry to keep the flexibility of layouts.

This is awesome! I like it! Do you think it would be possible to add cutouts for a 7x spacebar to this plate also? That way you have just a little more compatibility?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #751 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 17:07:22 »
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_G80-0499

Here is that link, and you were right. I read it too quickly, but it is 3.5x from the center stem. Sorry...

Also, that plate is perfect, WFD. And by my calculations (assuming we can use plates from this buy in it...) that would fit perfectly in your HHKB case!

Offline Aleksander

« Reply #752 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 17:51:49 »
eeeeeehhhrrmm... is there any way to check if I remembered to submit my order?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #753 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 19:28:11 »
This is awesome! I like it! Do you think it would be possible to add cutouts for a 7x spacebar to this plate also? That way you have just a little more compatibility?

You read my mind. I was in the middle of drawing up this plate when you wrote this. I'm just deciding whether to add the 7x spacebar cutouts into this 10x spacebar plate, or just integrate this 10x spacebar design into existing 1.5x plates. If I do this second option, goods news for you is that you won't have to pay the high price tier of 1-2 plate to have one-off made, but it might increase the cost for everyone else by like 50cents because of the added cut lengths.

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_G80-0499

Here is that link, and you were right. I read it too quickly, but it is 3.5x from the center stem. Sorry...

Also, that plate is perfect, WFD. And by my calculations (assuming we can use plates from this buy in it...) that would fit perfectly in your HHKB case!

It's actually both and very symmetrical. It's 3.5x units in from the center space (between spacebar and adjacent key) to the center stabilizer stem, and also 3.5x units from the center switch to center stabilizer stem. I realized this when making the plate.

Yeah it'll fit both standard case and HHKB case. There was a pic of a render of real key sizes just in the last page lol

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #754 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 21:09:15 »
I would love if it was added for more compatibility to existing plates for only 50 cents. I already have a lot of plates in my basket... :/

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #755 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 02:57:27 »
Yes, you did;)
1 GH60 and 1 ISO 1.25 plate, right?
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

Offline mm87

« Reply #756 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 05:25:53 »
Changed my order a bit.

Offline pix3l_fodder

« Reply #757 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 07:31:45 »
Can you confirm my order? Sounds silly but i miss ordered a crap load of stabs.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #758 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 08:15:36 »
What is everyone's favorite Stabilizer?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #759 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 08:22:25 »
Can you confirm my order? Sounds silly but i miss ordered a crap load of stabs.

Have you down for 1x set of Cherry plate mount stabs
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline polarpigs

« Reply #760 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 08:23:26 »
What is everyone's favorite Stabilizer?

I'm stuck on this too, not sure if I should go with Costar or plate mounted Cherries :(

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #761 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 08:30:40 »

You read my mind. I was in the middle of drawing up this plate when you wrote this. I'm just deciding whether to add the 7x spacebar cutouts into this 10x spacebar plate, or just integrate this 10x spacebar design into existing 1.5x plates. If I do this second option, goods news for you is that you won't have to pay the high price tier of 1-2 plate to have one-off made, but it might increase the cost for everyone else by like 50cents because of the added cut lengths.

Adding to existing plates is probably the best idea. You lose the option of making all the other stabilizer positions "universal", but it would keep cost down. Unless you can figure out a way to add the 10x capability to the universal plates, but I don't see how with lack of PCB mount stab support for the 10x. Thanks for doing this though!
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline pix3l_fodder

« Reply #762 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 08:32:54 »
i went with cherrys because i don't want to try and make a stab bar for the spacebar, i heard you can't buy them :S

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #763 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 08:38:34 »
Costar 6.25x spacebar wires are readily available. 7x wires for Costar would have to be custom made.

Cherry 6.25x and 7x spacebar wires should be available, and if not, they are easy to bend, as it is only two 90 degree bends at the correct length.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline KennyR

« Reply #764 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 08:42:54 »
Hello lovely folk, I'm posting this to make sure I fill in my order correctly.

After reading through 26 pages in this thread, I believe I need the following:
  • 2 x PCB
  • 1 x Universal ANSI plate
  • 1 x Poker plate
  • 1 x GH60 plate
  • 1 x Costar stabilizer set, 6.25x spacebar wire
  • 1 x Plate-mounted Cherry stabilizer set, 6.25x spacebar wire
I don't require switches.

With this, I hope to assemble a poker style GH60. So from the above list I need 1 PCB, 1 poker plate and a stabilizer set, correct?
The other PCB is used for testing some universal layouts and the GH60 layout. For this I need 1 PCB, 1 Universal plate, 1 GH60 plate and a stabilizer set, if I'm not mistaking?

The spacebar wire needed in the GH60 and Poker layout is 6.25x right?

And below you can see how I filled in my order form to get the above specifications.

If I filled it in correctly, can someone let me know so I can order? ;)

Ps: thank you everybody who contributed to this project!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #765 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 08:44:18 »
@KennyR Looks good to me! :D

in memoriam

Offline KennyR

« Reply #766 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 08:57:12 »
@KennyR Looks good to me! :D

Thank you! I'll order right away!

Offline polarpigs

« Reply #767 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 09:49:46 »
@jdcarpe Just placed my order, can you please check if my comments/notes for the shipping are ok? Would that be possible?  :-[

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #768 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 09:52:44 »
@jdcarpe Just placed my order, can you please check if my comments/notes for the shipping are ok? Would that be possible?  :-[

Yes, that is fine. One of us will contact you when they are ready to ship to verify your shipping address at that time.

in memoriam

Offline mbreslin

« Reply #769 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 10:29:54 »
As someone new to mechanical keyboards I have no idea yet what switch suits me but I didn't want to miss out on this gb. Definitely I prefer the poker layout, of all keyboards to stop making it kind of perplexes me that the poker was stopped.

Anyway as I have no idea yet what kind of switches I prefer I got a set with reds and a set with browns. I'm thinking I'll just offer up whichever I don't keep here for cost.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #770 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 10:34:49 »
As someone new to mechanical keyboards I have no idea yet what switch suits me but I didn't want to miss out on this gb. Definitely I prefer the poker layout, of all keyboards to stop making it kind of perplexes me that the poker was stopped.

Anyway as I have no idea yet what kind of switches I prefer I got a set with reds and a set with browns. I'm thinking I'll just offer up whichever I don't keep here for cost.

Yes, that's a good idea. You'll probably like BOTH reds and browns. I do. :)

in memoriam

Offline ForestFunK

« Reply #771 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 10:48:16 »
Is it possible to get a costar stabilizer set with both 6.25x AND 7x spacebar wire? I'm not yet sure if I go with 1,25x or 1,5x modifiers.
Qpad-MK-50 | ReɅlforce 88u

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #772 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 10:52:24 »
You would have to bend or get a custom bent 7x Costar wire. I'm not sure if those are being offered within this buy.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #773 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 10:55:03 »
I'm making all the wires for everyone that ordered cherry stabs in this GB, same like I did for all the Phantom order that Profosist was offering.

Offline Winther

« Reply #774 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 11:26:19 »
just to make sure, do I have to specify that I want wires with my cherry pcb stabs? they dont come with the stabd automaticly..?

if not, then would anyone be so kind as to add them to my order? :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #775 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 11:28:40 »
just to make sure, do I have to specify that I want wires with my cherry pcb stabs? they dont come with the stabd automaticly..?

if not, then would anyone be so kind as to add them to my order? :)

You just have to specify the spacebar wire size, and it's already in your order. :)

in memoriam

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #776 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 13:43:21 »
Just to double check, if you order Costar stabilizers, you get the stabilizing bar with them, correct?  I'm looking at the Poker layout and want to make sure I won't have to scrounge up a space bar stabilizer somewhere.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #777 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 13:45:59 »
Just to double check, if you order Costar stabilizers, you get the stabilizing bar with them, correct?  I'm looking at the Poker layout and want to make sure I won't have to scrounge up a space bar stabilizer somewhere.

Yes, I'm pretty sure every Costar stabilizer set will come with a 6.25x spacebar wire.

in memoriam

Offline mbreslin

« Reply #778 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 14:15:45 »
Is it an easy process to remount a different set of stabs? If so I'll change my order (yet again, sorry!) to add 2 sets of costars so I can try both. :)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #779 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 14:18:12 »
Costar is easy

plate-mounted cherry requires you to desolder one switch

PCB-mounted cherry is super easy if there are no plate. If there is a plate, it's impossible without desoldering every switch and taking off the plate.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #780 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 14:36:38 »
ANSI 1.5 uses regular modifiers like you would find in a Filco, correct?

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #781 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 14:39:50 »
PCB-mounted cherry is super easy if there are no plate. If there is a plate, it's impossible without desoldering every switch and taking off the plate.

Not impossible...I've done it...but it's quite a challenge and you need to be a bit brave.
Russ

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #782 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 14:47:16 »
In the scope of this GB where many are newbs and don't even know the difference between each stabilizer, it's impossible in that sense. Save the frustration for many people  ^-^

It depends on which plate you have too. The Korean plates I think has a tad more room to work with for PCB-mounted, but these plates are a bit more tight. I haven't tried it yet, but I don't think there is enough room to pop up one of the legs from the PCB. I'm specifically talking about the smaller stabilizers towards the middle of the PCB, not the spacebar. And I'm not going to bother trying after doing this once already.

« Last Edit: Mon, 08 April 2013, 14:50:27 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline Aleksander

« Reply #783 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 14:57:32 »
Yes, you did;)
1 GH60 and 1 ISO 1.25 plate, right?
Perfect! not much but I only have two hands to type with  :))

Offline reddeth

« Reply #784 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 14:59:05 »
If you get a moment, would someone please confirm my order to be sure it's right? I'm paranoid  :))

Should be 2 soldered PCB's and 2 Poker plates, and I think that was it.

Also I apologize for not keeping up on the thread as a whole, but are we still looking at September time for a "if nothing goes wrong" delivery?

Thank you!

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #785 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 15:01:37 »
Fair enough.  I had to desolder a few surrounding switches and be willing to flex the PCB/plate quite a bit to swing them out.  Not fun, but possible.
Russ

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #786 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 15:24:52 »
WFD can you confirm my order as well? mainly the choice of plate.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #787 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 15:36:23 »
1x ANSI 1.5x plate
1x PCB
4x cherry stabs for mods
1x cherry stab for 6.25x space
1x cherry stab for 7x space

edit: I think Matt3o is trying to make is software available in time before the ordering for this GB is finished. The order changes are confirmations by google doc is just inefficient, it still needs manual changes from us. It's better if you guys can see your own order or modify them yourselves.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 April 2013, 15:41:29 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #788 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 15:55:52 »
If you get a moment, would someone please confirm my order to be sure it's right? I'm paranoid  :))

Should be 2 soldered PCB's and 2 Poker plates, and I think that was it.

Also I apologize for not keeping up on the thread as a whole, but are we still looking at September time for a "if nothing goes wrong" delivery?

Thank you!

Yes, that is what you ordered.

And, yes, as far as we know, that's as good an estimate as any. :D

in memoriam

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #789 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 16:24:37 »
1x ANSI 1.5x plate
1x PCB
4x cherry stabs for mods
1x cherry stab for 6.25x space
1x cherry stab for 7x space

edit: I think Matt3o is trying to make is software available in time before the ordering for this GB is finished. The order changes are confirmations by google doc is just inefficient, it still needs manual changes from us. It's better if you guys can see your own order or modify them yourselves.
very helpful thanks. i submitted an order change to add one 'true' hhkb plate.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #790 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 16:38:48 »
Important update - please read
Update on the switches (very important!)
We were going to order the switches from 7bit @ deskthority for you. But the prices of switches are going up and he has to pay 100% for preorders. Buying preordered switches is cheaper, but we are not collecting payments yet and payment for the switches is due soon.
I'm worried that if we collect your money for the switches and pay together it might be too late and the groupbuy will be delayed.

That's why my proposition is that if you want to make sure you get your switches along with the GH60, remove your switch order from the order form (by submitting the "order changes" form) and go to http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/cherry-mx-taking-pre-orders-t2760.html and place your order according to the info there.
You can either have the switches shipped to you (independently from GH60) or we can arrange something with 7bit so that you get them together with GH60 and save shipping (that's the only option for those who checked "assembly" in the order form, of course).
I will post details about it soon.

If you can't pay for switches now or don't want to bother ordering directly from 7bit, you can leave your order as it it. We will then order the switches for you when the money is fully collected, but the prices might be a tad higher and the switches may come later.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #791 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 16:48:29 »
^ True story.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #792 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 17:00:37 »
On that note would you please remove the switches and assembly service from my order.  Thanks for the update :)
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #793 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 17:00:44 »
ok fellas. this is a major update.

I have noticed that 7-bit has an account here on GH. But I imagine you suggest we contact him through DT due to the Group Buy being run off that site.

Looks like I gotta create a DT account and practice my European accent and keyboard ways. So European's like Cherry Switches, wine, and references to David Hasselhoff right? I think I can do this.

I will be changing my order after I find the switches or at least place my order. Conrad and Mouser have switches as well right?  Just wondering how long the delay with 7-Bit maybe... could be really long.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #794 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 17:03:38 »

I have noticed that 7-bit has an account here on GH. But I imagine you suggest we contact him through DT due to the Group Buy being run off that site.

Looks like I gotta create a DT account and practice my European accent and keyboard ways. So European's like Cherry Switches, wine, and references to David Hasselhoff right? I think I can do this.

I will be changing my order after I find the switches or at least place my order. Conrad and Mouser have switches as well right?  Just wondering how long the delay with 7-Bit maybe... could be really long.

Some of us like starting World Wars, we also like madly following America into random wars across the globe!
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 April 2013, 17:06:53 by Tym »
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #795 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 17:06:51 »
I've ordered switches from 7bit a few times without issue.  Shipping can take a little while, but he ships fairly quickly once he has stock.  However, I haven't ordered since the latest price hikes and the lead time seems to be worsening.  If you want to go this route, do it ASAP.  7bit will soon be buried in Round 4 key caps, so I would expect CherryMX responsiveness to slow even more.

7bit actively avoids GH and his ordering scripts are not hooked into GH's PM system anymore anyway.  You will need to contact him there and converse with his script via DT PMs.
Russ

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #796 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 17:09:13 »
On that note would you please remove the switches and assembly service from my order.  Thanks for the update :)
Please use the "change order" form, just for the record. Thanks!

Please don't pay for these orders yet, I will soon post info how to indicate that the switches should be sent to us, so that you don't pay shipping.
As for mouser and digikey, I'm not sure they have all types, but 7bit has for sure;)
The current estimation is September/October for these switches.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #797 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 17:16:43 »
If we want to order the switches now...should we pm him or use that order form?

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #798 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 17:18:56 »
Follow the link to the DT thread and follow the instructions in the OP.  Ordering from 7bit is...different.
Russ

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #799 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 17:22:05 »
Please use the "change order" form, just for the record. Thanks!

Please don't pay for these orders yet, I will soon post info how to indicate that the switches should be sent to us, so that you don't pay shipping.
As for mouser and digikey, I'm not sure they have all types, but 7bit has for sure;)
The current estimation is September/October for these switches.

thanks! done~
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."