Author Topic: GH60 Group Buy (Salvage Mode: Enabled - Update in OP)  (Read 1622391 times)

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
Re: GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #1150 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 03:00:46 »
Sorry I havent been keeping up with this. what switches will be avaliable? and will the plates fit the prototype?
SmallFry! <3

Offline pix3l_fodder

« Reply #1151 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 03:24:50 »
When I thought I had my order down, the OP changes now I think i've got the wrong plate <_<

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #1152 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 04:13:12 »
Sorry I havent been keeping up with this. what switches will be avaliable? and will the plates fit the prototype?
Green, Grey, Blue, Red, Black, Brown, and.... I think that's it.... No White or Clear, I remember that and those Greys are tactile 80cn ones, not Dark Grey linear.
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline ItsBc

• BARACOOT
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1153 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 06:01:05 »
Do we still need to order switches from the DT bot? or no.

Offline Moebius

« Reply #1154 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 06:20:36 »
Hi.

I just registered here, and don't even own a mechanical keyboard :(

But hey, this looks like the place to be :)

Need some assistance before I order:

1. GH60 PCB (SMD Presoldered)
2. ANSI 1.5x with short R-shift and split backspace
3. 1x cherry (plate-mounted) stabilizer set
4. ??x MX blue switches
5. Assembly service

What kind of spacebar wire do I need? And how many switches should I order?

How much work should I expect to do myself (other than ordering keycaps, case and usb-wire)?

- Moebius

EDIT: Oh, and what color(switches) do you recomend? (The keyboard is for programming in emacs) :)

EDIT: Oh, and does EAA/EFTA count as EU? (In case of shipping) Or do you guys ship world wide anyway?
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 April 2013, 07:18:22 by Moebius »

Offline mkaito

« Reply #1155 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 07:05:20 »
Do we still need to order switches from the DT bot? or no.

Nope.

Offline mkaito

« Reply #1156 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 07:13:22 »
1. GH60 PCB (SMD Presoldered)
2. ANSI 1.5x with short R-shift and split backspace
3. 1x cherry (plate-mounted) stabilizer set
4. ??x MX blue switches
5. Assembly service

What kind of spacebar wire do I need? And how many switches should I order?

7x spacebar
65 keys (61 standard ansi + split backspace + split right shift + 2 spare)

How much work should I expect to do myself (other than ordering keycaps, case and usb-wire)?
You're getting the PCB with plate and switches mounted, and a standard layout firmware installed. Just drop into the case (or whatever your case requires you to do), plop the caps on, plug the cable in, done.

EDIT: Oh, and what color(switches) do you recomend? (The keyboard is for programming in emacs) :)

There's no way anyone can tell you what switches are good for you. What you use your keyboard for doesn't really influence it as much as how you type. People say MX Blue are good for typing/coding, but that doesn't mean anything, really. It's all purely down to taste.

Grab yourself a sampler kit from WASD if you've really never laid fingers on a mechanical switch. It doesn't give you the full picture of actually typing on them, but at least you'll have an idea.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 April 2013, 07:17:21 by mkaito »

Offline ItsBc

• BARACOOT
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1157 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 08:02:42 »
Does this new switch supplier have different colors? I selected light grey on my order, but would prefer clears if possible.

Offline mkaito

« Reply #1158 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 08:17:09 »
Does this new switch supplier have different colors? I selected light grey on my order, but would prefer clears if possible.

Green, Grey, Blue, Red, Black, Brown, and.... I think that's it.... No White or Clear, I remember that and those Greys are tactile 80cn ones, not Dark Grey linear.

Offline Moebius

« Reply #1159 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 08:58:22 »

There's no way anyone can tell you what switches are good for you. What you use your keyboard for doesn't really influence it as much as how you type. People say MX Blue are good for typing/coding, but that doesn't mean anything, really. It's all purely down to taste.

Grab yourself a sampler kit from WASD if you've really never laid fingers on a mechanical switch. It doesn't give you the full picture of actually typing on them, but at least you'll have an idea.
Thanks a lot!

Is it possible to replace the switches later on?

Offline mkaito

« Reply #1160 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 09:08:30 »

Thanks a lot!

Most certainly. It requires some soldering, though. It's not hard, but pretty laborious. Still, make sure you do your homework first.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1161 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 09:21:19 »
FYI, if you want Clears, but don't plan on using them stock, i.e. you are planning to make ergo clears, then MX Greys will work the same for you. They have the exact same stem profile as clears, only a stiffer spring, which you wouldn't be using anyway.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #1162 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 11:02:42 »

Thanks a lot!

Most certainly. It requires some soldering, though. It's not hard, but pretty laborious. Still, make sure you do your homework first.

These wouldn't require soldering as you should be able to just open up the switch and change the stem and spring (well apart from removing the caps lock led to open the switch housing)
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #1163 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 12:20:58 »
I'm currently rendering all the additional layouts and I'm posting them one by one as they finish. Look at the OP for now. Takes a bit of setup time for each one :/

Basically just some price updates, PCB, plates, layouts, etc.

Could you provide the specs or files for the plate and PCB? I am working on a case in AutoCAD and it would definitely help.
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1164 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 12:23:42 »
Great work with the front page, WFD. It looks much better and, IMO, much easier to understand which plate relates to which layout one may wish to choose.

Offline noxwood

« Reply #1165 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 12:27:03 »
I'm not quite sure about the assembly: Does it include ergo clear-type modding/lubing/stickers?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1166 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 12:31:19 »
No. Just building the board.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #1167 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 12:33:45 »
thanks for the awesome update WFD!

you guys are doing a stellar job on this right now

Offline noxwood

« Reply #1168 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 12:38:58 »
Who would be available for that kind of assembly?

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #1169 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 14:22:36 »
Hey JD or WFD, are the people assembling these willing to lube and sticker (at extra cost) or should I line someone up to do this?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1170 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 14:54:41 »
Hey JD or WFD, are the people assembling these willing to lube and sticker (at extra cost) or should I line someone up to do this?

I can probably do this, and I"m sure jdcarpe is willing to do it also, but I sure komar won't lol. And there's no reason why you can't do it yourself, the plate supports removable switches. Not being able to solder is understandable because it requires equipment, but lubing and stickers doesn't only requires the lube/sticker and patience.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1171 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 15:07:05 »
order DEADLINE in 3 days

PCB

Presoldered SMD - $30
DIY kit - $22
bare PCB - $6

Those are updated prices at this quantity. The bare PCB is a new option you can get. It does not come with any other components. You'll have to source all your own SMD components and solder them on for a fully functional PCB. This is offered in case you can source the components for cheaper. I attached the BOM file that details the components, you're welcome to use different types as long as they have the same specs. Mouser and Digikey prices in the US are shown, but any supplier works too.

If you're extremely tight on budget right now, then grab a bare PCB (and plate?), and everything else can be sourced later to complete your build.

Plates

I've reorganized the OP to show pics of the actual plates, and the possible layout each plate supports. Basically all 1.25x size modifier plates only supports the one layout it's intended for, and 1.5x size modifier plates supports full winkey, WKL, HHKB, and 10x spacebar. Universal plate supports all layouts, so I'm not going to do redundant renders for these.

The new universal plate for 10x spacebar supports 1.25x and 1.5x - 1x modifiers. You can also use normal 7x spacebar and 1.5x modifiers, just no 1.25x and 6.25x modifiers. This one will be made by special request only, since quantity will not be high enough for GB prices.

IvanIvanovich plate layout is canceled, there are zero orders for that plate. ISO 1.5x, ISO 1.5x pure shift, and Samwisekoi's layout have less than 10 orders. Those two ISO plates might have to be merged, and Samwisekoi's might cost more because of the quantities.

Currently, price is still $16. I can't get an exact amount because the company I'm getting these cut from is a relatively large company, and their quoting process must follow certain procedures. They need exact numbers, and they give out official documented quotes so any changes needs to be requoted and has an expiration. The size and amount of cutting required for these GH60 plate is roughly 68% of a TKL plate (~$23.36), so 68% of a TKL plate cost is projected at ~$16.

Hi ***,

With my apologies, we will not be able to provide any preliminary pricing.  Our Estimating Department has limited resources and that preparing quotes for budgetary estimates is not cost effective for our company.  We would prefer to quote quantities only when they’re ready for production.

Please submit your RFQ once you’ve finalized your quantities and anticipate placing an order.

A prototype is currently being made to make sure everything fits.

Misc
Some orders requested for costar 7x wires. I'm not sure this will be available, as WASDkeyboards is not able to provide them. Costar stabilizers are $7 per set.

If you want white switches, we might be able to get them separately from a supplier, something like this. For clears, you can get mx greys, they have the exact same stem. I don't imagine very many will use the stock clear springs. Or if you're willing to settle for some used clears, then it can be offered.

I also added alixinhzai's acrylic case to the OP.

PS – don’t quote this whole post if you want to respond to just one point.

« Last Edit: Sat, 20 April 2013, 18:44:32 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #1172 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 16:16:36 »
Will Teensys be sold separatly?
SmallFry! <3

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #1173 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 16:19:34 »

I can probably do this, and I"m sure jdcarpe is willing to do it also, but I sure komar won't lol. And there's no reason why you can't do it yourself, the plate supports removable switches. Not being able to solder is understandable because it requires equipment, but lubing and stickers doesn't only requires the lube/sticker and patience.
Yeah I was thinking about that after I posted that. I guess it's time to step up! Thanks WFD.

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #1174 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 16:29:44 »
Rephrasing my question from before, those get lost easily in this thread:
Couldn't most of the plates have a wider hole for the spacebar switch to allow for cherry off-center 6.25 spacebars?

p.s: awesome price on the bare pcb, thanks
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 April 2013, 16:38:06 by Jmneuv »

Offline gnubag

« Reply #1175 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 16:41:52 »

gh60 has a atmega controller

there are no teensys :)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1176 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 16:42:25 »
Rephrasing my question from before, those get lost easily in this thread:
Couldn't most of the plates have a wider hole for the spacebar switch to allow for cherry off-center 6.25 spacebars?

p.s: awesome price on the bare pcb, thanks

I can probably change it last minute, although then one whole side would be unsupported, similar to the capslock. This doesn't matter too much, but I designed these 1.25x plates to have unambiguous switch mounting. More newb friendly also. I don't think there are a lot of people that use the off-centered cherry spacebars anyways. The unversal plate fully support what you're asking for.

Is anyone else planning to use Cherry offset spacebar?

gh60 has a atmega controller
there are no teensys :)

Actually, teensy also uses a atmega controller, but it's on a daughterboard soldered on by pins onto the main PCB. GH60 just has the atmega soldered on directly to the main PCB, no daughterboard ;)
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 April 2013, 16:44:43 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #1177 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 17:04:53 »
Ah well, you know i don't want to inconvenience you or anyone else. I kinda blurted out because i assumed from the capslock that space would be also optional (before you kindly provided the plate pics).
Being a lefty, i might be better off not using a switch offset to the right and doing a stem mod instead.

p.s: i decided against the universal plate since i'm not a fan of the mixed mounts - it's a nice design though.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 April 2013, 17:09:38 by Jmneuv »

Offline cancelx

« Reply #1178 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 18:32:46 »
Ordered 2, can't wait! :D
Model M SSK - WASD V1 - CM Storm QFR - Ducky Year of the Rabbit - Realforce 87U - WASD V2 - K-Type

Offline amzee

« Reply #1179 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 21:18:12 »
Unfortunately got a KBT Pure before I learned of the GH60s existance :/ I was wondering if ordering the Universal ANSI Plate would work to serve as a plate for a Pure PCB?

Offline mkaito

« Reply #1180 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 21:51:47 »
there's actually a pure plate.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1181 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 22:06:37 »
 ANSI 1.25x with short R-Shift - Pure

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1182 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 01:12:50 »
Unfortunately got a KBT Pure before I learned of the GH60s existance :/ I was wondering if ordering the Universal ANSI Plate would work to serve as a plate for a Pure PCB?

There is a dedicated PURE plate you can order, even if you don't need the GH60 PCB. Same goes with the poker plate, it's compatible with the actual poker PCB. The universal plate fits both of these.

Offline Moebius

« Reply #1183 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 02:31:26 »
I placed a new order. Can anyone please remove my old one? I also tried to change my old order yesterday, please ignore that (things got messed up).

Im sorry  :'(

EDIT: I've sent a new order-change with my final requests. Sorry for the mess (I paniced a bit due to the close deadline).
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 April 2013, 04:23:10 by Moebius »

Offline agor

« Reply #1184 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 02:55:28 »
FYI, if you want Clears, but don't plan on using them stock, i.e. you are planning to make ergo clears, then MX Greys will work the same for you. They have the exact same stem profile as clears, only a stiffer spring, which you wouldn't be using anyway.

Updated my order saying whatever will cost less (clear/grey), hope that is fine.
Also added some switches to account for defectives, and to make clear which switches should be soldered on which board :)
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline HannibalChew

• Formerly PixelScript
    • gaffworks
« Reply #1185 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 04:20:58 »
I changed some things on my order yesterday but they haven't changed on the spreadsheet yet :(

Offline 4814

« Reply #1186 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 04:27:18 »
Are any hhkb cases planned besides the one from WFD?

Offline zenuty

• WTS : Duck, Pla, Acrylic 3 Pokers
« Reply #1187 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 07:20:25 »
Hello WFD

im order completed

i need WFD's Assembly PCB

i want feeling WFD's Assembly PCB

i excited WFD's Assembly PCB

Thankyou for Work
LINE ID : zenuty
Skype ID : zenuty
www.facebook.com/zenuty

Offline Moebius

« Reply #1188 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 08:39:47 »
Aww! :mad: Something came up, I have to cancel my order. Feels bad :(

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #1189 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 09:52:37 »
Aww! :mad: Something came up, I have to cancel my order. Feels bad :(
surely someone got an extra they would part with later. no worries moe!

Offline Niall

« Reply #1190 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 10:41:06 »
After debating whether or not to place the order the past month, and then promptly forgetting the whole thing this week, I've finally placed my order! Hopefully it's not too late.  :D

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #1191 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 10:54:17 »
How many stabilizers does a costar set (or any set) contain?

oh i guess for 5 switches (reading first page helps)
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 April 2013, 11:37:02 by Jmneuv »

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1192 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 11:04:11 »
Can I see what I ordered? I need to add more and possibly change things.

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #1193 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 11:19:40 »
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline Sai

« Reply #1194 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 11:23:40 »
finally order one. :)
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #1195 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 11:33:30 »
Also ordered, couldn't resist after all :) And I apparantly forgot to mention the amount of stabs. That would be only 1 set. Thanks!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1196 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 11:58:14 »
I changed some things on my order yesterday but they haven't changed on the spreadsheet yet :(

If you used the "Order Changes" link, it is updated manually by us organizers. I have been busy this weekend, and haven't even looked at it in a couple days. You are better off submitting a new order, and in the comments section, write "new updated order."
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HannibalChew

• Formerly PixelScript
    • gaffworks
« Reply #1197 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 13:56:10 »

If you used the "Order Changes" link, it is updated manually by us organizers. I have been busy this weekend, and haven't even looked at it in a couple days. You are better off submitting a new order, and in the comments section, write "new updated order."

Thanks, i just submitted my new order. :)

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #1198 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 14:34:29 »
Order submitted! Thanks WFD, jdcarpe, komar, and anyone else I missed :)

Offline iAmAhab

• Established member
« Reply #1199 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 15:29:33 »
Never owned a mechanical keyboard before and this seems like a fun way to jump in.
60% is what I want but I have not been able to find one with ISO layout, now I can just make it myself, how convenient.

Order submitted, should be fun soldering this thing together.