Author Topic: advice about painting indoor  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Humstuck

advice about painting indoor
« on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 23:37:04 »
Hi,

I am living in an apartment and I want to get a crack at painting my QFR case because its getting old.

I am kind of in a pickle because I don't have a garage/balcony/room dedicated that I could use to spray paint. (gotta learn to as well)

Any advice? Could it be done with brushes? If yes, tips?

Thank you.

Online Findecanor

Re: advice about painting indoor
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 07:15:11 »
Spraypainting indoors is a bad idea unless you have a dedicated room or you spray only a little little bit.
Spray mist does not fall only onto the object you paint but can spread around the room and settle everywhere.
I have sometimes sprayed a little little bit in the bathroom, but only to touch things up - not for painting an entire keyboard.

Does your apartment block have a communal yard with a table that is not too crowded with kids? Maybe you would need to ask permission.
You could check out if there is a Maker Space nearby, which could have a painting booth, but they might want a membership fee.

Brushing would leave brush-marks. Marker pens can work for small details - they will otherwise leave streaks.
Another option would be to wrap it in vinyl. There are a few example in the forum of that. The problems are mostly about avoiding bubbles and getting the edges clean.
"Normal is the greatest enemy in regard to creating the new. To get around this you have to understand normal not as reality but as just a construct." -- Alan Kay
Daily driver: Phantom (Lubed Cherry MX Clear, Lasered Cherry PBT keycaps with Row A. Plastic "Frankencase". Custom firmware, Swedish layout)

Offline Humstuck

Re: advice about painting indoor (done)
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 June 2017, 12:59:12 »
Finally managed to do something with spray paint.

Tell me what you think as my first attempt :)

Still need to wait 1-2 days to make sure my clear is optimum.

4 blue layers
3 clear layers

both satin finish.

Welp ... not sure how to link pictures, I just have a Google Drive. It still loads but no preview in the post.

Offline KACHAKEYS

Re: advice about painting indoor
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 18:49:05 »
I would recommend getting a spray booth or tent that you can set up in your bathroom. Usually they are sold at hobby lobby and blick type stores.