Author Topic: Soldering Am I over Thinking this?  (Read 4399 times)

Offline HotRoderX

Soldering Am I over Thinking this?
« on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 17:03:50 »
I looked at several tutorials and read countless feedback on this forum and others. I honestly think things are pretty much split down the middle. I like what one person said "this isn't rocket sci its soldering" I feel like that is true but most likely too simplistic. I was thinking about buying a cheap kit from Alliexpress to solder before I get my hands on the KBD75 that I ordered. I know its nothing to special but it wasn't cheap cheap either. I prefer not to screw it up. Am I over thinking this? How did your first soldering go.. is the key just watching the videos and getting a good idea of what your doing before progressing. Are is it better to buy something cheaper to start with.

bit confused about all this so yep opinions.

Offline Findecanor

Re: Soldering Am I over Thinking this?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 17:34:23 »
Why not? If you haven't soldered before, there is nothing wrong with practice to help you get a feel for it, and to have something where it does not matter that much if you screw up.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 17:47:22 »
I may look silly but this is about the best and simplest and cleanest instruction I have seen:

https://mightyohm.com/files/soldercomic/FullSolderComic_EN.pdf
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 19:27:39 »
no harm in buying a cheap soldering trainer kit prior.  Amazon has some for like $8.  It really isn't that difficult but practice never hurts.
keyboards.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 20:07:35 »
I have a cheapo soldering iron, was like $15.  No clue what temp it gets up to, but for my purposes, soldering key switches and occasionally de-soldering broken components on other electronics (with a solder sucker) - works great.  Don't recall ever watching videos on how to solder either, just read up on what good vs bad looks like, heat both parts, add solder to the junction - easy peasy.

Never felt a need to get an expensive solder station.  I imagine if I soldered more, then perhaps.  As of now, just replace the tip when needed.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 20:58:35 »
Definitely echo suggestions around getting a practice kit (or some spare/broken components that you don't need anymore), and getting comfortable with soldering using those.

One piece of advice I'd give: if you don't already have one, pick up a chisel tip for your soldering iron; it'll do a better job at heating switch pins more evenly (versus a conical tip).
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 21:09:55 »
It's not difficult and you can do it, but there are certain tricks to it that make it easier and more consistent and some of them you simply need experience to really learn.

I would suggest leaded solder for you first, it's MUCH easier to work with (especially if you make a mistake), just remember to wash your hands after.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline mrhead

• Thread \ (•◡•) / Stopper
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 22:06:52 »
I may look silly but this is about the best and simplest and cleanest instruction I have seen:

https://mightyohm.com/files/soldercomic/FullSolderComic_EN.pdf

Yes, this link is quite helpful.  One thing I would add, is that the longer you leave the soldering iron in contact with the leads/traces/pads on the PCB, the more likely you'll cause the leads/traces/pads to become separated from the PCB.  Then, you have to learn how to repair them which is definitely not as easy as soldering.

Offline LazyDog

• My personal site
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 15:06:34 »
It's not as hard as you might think, but you can gain some confidence with any of the many learn-to-solder kits available from stores like Elenco, Sparkfun, Adafruit, Hackaday, and Radio Shack (which is gasping its last breaths). Just one small, guided project will give you a better sense of how solder moves and works.
<-- Epilepsy and music autoplay warning there

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 15:25:45 »
soldering through hole parts into plated through holes is both very easy and hard to screw up. From that perspective, DIY Keyboards and DIY audio are excellent places to start. I would like to third the mightyohm comic suggestion, as well as second the use of lead solder.

Some people will recommend buying flux and using that. I only use it myself when I'm SMD soldering. For normal through hole stuff, rosin core solder is fine. That said it doesn't hurt either so it's up to you. Make sure your solder is not expired or it will be harder to work with. Getting 63/37 is worth the money over 60/40 but both will work.

For plated through holes, even if you lift (or lose) a pad when desoldering, you can still solder the switch to the through hole plating. They are also harder to lift since they have that connection through the PCB. Also, even if you break a trace completely it's usually pretty easy to repair: keyboards have simple circuits (or rather the part you will be soldering does).

After you get better, you look back on your first work and see all the mistakes, but its very hard to screw up a first effort that badly. Having too much or too little solder might make the KB unreliable 20 years down the road, but it will work now, so don't worry about that too much.

And if you do make a mistake let us know and we can help.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 02:21:22 »
Wanted to say thanks to everyone! this has really helped and give me a nice confidence booster. I am really super excited to get my mech and try this out and get started. I even plan to try and order some LED's to solder on to the board! That was something I was planning to skip at first just because it would be a extra step.

Offline djfunh8r

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 11:23:56 »
Out of curiosity, what tip type and size do you guys use for doing the switches and LEDs?

Offline Tactile

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 12:43:26 »
Out of curiosity, what tip type and size do you guys use for doing the switches and LEDs?

This one is my favorite but it looks like they are no longer made. I'm sure you don't use the Weller soldering station this is for, but it may give you an idea of what to look for. This long nosed shape is great for working around and between other components.
REΛLFORCE

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 14:14:23 »
You really have to try hard or be completely negligent to screw up soldering keyboards. Like as in, I can see things going wrong, and instead of taking a second to think, just keep trying random stuff and doing damage without thinking. It's very obvious if you're doing damage.

I watched a couple youtube videos then desoldered and resoldered my Filco. Desoldering is a PITA and you develop more technique over time, but soldering is totally not.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Sissy

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 06:49:28 »
Nothing wrong with buying a cheap practices kit, Before doing my keyboard the only soldering experience I had was 8th grade in Highschool And All I could remember of that was a friend burning me.
Its not hard but at the same time totally understand your anxieties since I very much had the same.