Author Topic: I wonder if TG3 solders better these days  (Read 2450 times)

Offline typo

I wonder if TG3 solders better these days
« on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 01:18:22 »
Old Deck keyboards were hand assembled in Kenosha,WI USA as are current TG3 products as of today. New Deck keyboards are only marketed by TG3 and are an entirely different company. They are not great quality IMO(the new ones). So these old Deck's would always have a bunch of cold solder joints. It is not age as they are not that old and this would happen within the first week when new. This was a heck of a keyboard otherwise. TG3 actually encouraged consumers to work on them themselves. Which is vey rare indeed. Normaly open case , void warranty. I am no longer to work on electronics. LO and Behold my Grandson is an EE. It is really the right equipment that makes the difference. It costs a fortune and of course he does these at work. I have 6 of them currently. He modifies the switches for me to actuate at 120g,cn. Amazingly I find that just right. They still have a clear slider so they have a tactile hump but somewhat diminished at that force. He replaces all the Led's with 3mm 20,000mcd white. Back to the equipment. He can strip a board in less than 25 minutes and rebuild the switches, soldr everything and reassemble in 45-50 minutes. To me and some this was one of the bst keyboards ever built. Modified to my liking it is my favorite board of all time. I actually prefer the non stepped, non sculpted flat profile.He also modifies the controller so it is as it should have originally been. Even with those Led's fn1 is very dim and fn7 is not blinding. That is the simple addition of a resistor. These boards can be tricky though as certain switches control or depend on others. if you get a short and are not a Tech it could take you hours to figure t out. As evidenced by older posts here.

I know I have said all of this 20 times here but not altogether. The point is moot as they are long gone but mainly I was speaking of these boards all having cold solder joints. I cannot imagine millions of cop cars are riding around with flaky boards. I have no idea if they had someone different less skilled on these or what.They are great boards but if you want one I would recommend against it unless you are skilled with electronics. It is not a great board when it stops working. Otherwise I feel it is a classic like M,F Etc. Mine being highly modified is not anything like the stock boards however. Still, it is plenty good as is if it is your thing.  Just be aware you will most likely be working on it and better know how. Even stock, clears are much different than the ubiquitous blues, browns Etc. I am actually surprised it was marketed as a gaming board with clears. Hardly any are. I see it is $229 at Mechanical Keyboards but sold out. I guess they kep it for reference since they will not be replenishing stock obviously. The msrp was $299.99. When stores could not sell it for $179 they were discontinued thereafter. It was not the right time for it. I wonder how they would fare in the marketplace now. Anyways cold solder joints would probably be a bummer for many people. It is interesting it was priced like that and everyone suffered from that issue.

Just sharing my experience. No actual point. Other than TG3 cannot possible be outfitting every cop car in the land with bad boards. So I really do not know what happened with these. It is not an issue to me because they are going to be reworked here anyways. I warn anyone else. You are unlikely to find one regardless. If you are looking I would highly suggest clears and white Led's.

No real point, so no one needs to ask what I am talking about :)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: I wonder if TG3 solders better these days
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 21:34:40 »
Hmm, I have worked on 2 of the fullsize Deck and at least 7 of the smaller BL82 and 1 non-backlit 82 and only 1 of them had a bad solder joint.

That said they were some of the best designed and manufactured keyboards when they were around. The backlights are driven through a transistor so that's how you can quickly change the brightness. They also published the full electrical schematics which is completely unheard of. It was marketed as a gaming board back in the day when there weren't very many mechanical keybaords to choose from. Filco was still almost unheard-of in the USA, and the newer brands weren't around either. Deck was basically up against rubber domes from big companies like logitech/razer and vintage keyboards. Some of the Korean starcraft players had filco. So nowadays you have everyone trying to differentiate with new keyswitches, but back in the day you were lucky to have a KB with NKRO at all. Also some versions of the deck legend came with cherry blacks.

Offline typo

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 06:22:07 »
That's strange all 6 Legends here had cold solder on at least a few switches and/or led's. Since you are familiar with these is there a backlit board of this quality made today? The thing was a tank. I would like not more than 105 keys. Dyesub/Double shot PBT/Pom. Strong case etc. Switch does not really matter. I have a few and The Topre RGB may be the best of the lot regardless of it not being Cherry. However the build quality is well behind the Deck and even a true Japanese Realforce for that matter. It seems backlit is aimed at young gamers and from what I have/seen the quality is not there now. This board was originally $300USD. I cannot even see how it was a gaming board with no extra keys, macros etc. I wish I could find something new like these. The new Chinese Decks are about the same quality as Razer. I do not means features or such but The build quality and PBT without buying a set. Even The Topre RB is ABS. I do not think it exists currently which is why I keep these alive and modify them anyways. As you mentioned, amazingly TG3 actually had encouraged end user service.

Right now I cannot figure out a Led that was replaced recently was working but on FN1 it is dimmer than all others. Any other level it is the same. I took a lot of time to modify this board and am now bothered enough to just lok for something new. These boards were also somewhat tricky. The controller was actually rather complex at the time. Driving led's, both usb and ps2 capable. I do not know what else there is and guess I will have to open this yet again.

On that note I would honestly say the Razer Ornata Chroma represents a better "value" than the Topre RGB. Completely different feel but the Topre does not feel like an actual Realforce anyways. The Topre is somewhat better built but not top tier. It is $89 Vs. $260, so that needs to be a deciding factor when considering value. I feel The Topre RGB should be like $100 less at $160 is fair. Made in china anyways.

If you know anything I can replace my Decks with that would be great. Sure I can touch type fine but In a pitch black room it is nicer than a lamp to me. Otherwise I do not know what is with this one led on the board I took so much time with. Plus something with one piece keys with out the bleed through which I markered would be nice too. The very early ones with the daughterboard even had a PBT space bar. Unfortunately my only very late one with SMD has blue led's and I do not feel like starting over. Blue is rotten in the dark but many agree. The only things built like it were model M,F era AFAIK. I am not sure anything like it exists today or just settle for lower quality. Solidity rally does make a difference in overall feel. I like the Ornata actually but it is so flimsy.I bet there is some off brand I am not aware of. Just as Deck was once.

Offline dante

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 10:03:47 »
Putting a mechanical keyboard in a cop car is a stupid idea.  What happens in a life or death situation where one of the keys starts to chatter, or worse enters/modifies information incorrectly?

typo you are very confusing.  You hoarded 6 Deck keyboards on the premise that it's the best thing you've ever typed on - proceeded to get them upgraded - and now you want advice on something different because of an led?  You also drag the new Deck boards through the mud but offer no specific reasons as to why.  Youtube has many positive reviews for these products with the only criticism being the font.

Offline typo

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 12:25:26 »
Okay. Every cop car has a TG# keyboard that is mechanical. That is their whole business. The new decks are just cheap feeling compared to even a ducky. I do not really want something different. Especially after hours of making it to my lking which I will admit hardly anyone else would. Extremely high force switches. About 2x the stock clears. The problem is along with cold solder joints that eventually pop up the lighting controller eventually goes bad and that I cannot really fix as the IC is no longer available. Of course to be fair these boards are at least 16 years old and a maximum of 23 years. The backlight probably does not last that long on any backlit board. The original Decks should last much longer due to being driven at lower forward voltage. Especially kept on FN1. Of course IBM boards are still going strong and even older but they are not backlit. The issues are with backlighting but again, what could one expect with boards this age? These were my favorite boards ever which is why I have collected six to mix and match parts. Truthfully I really do not wish for a different board until I am out of options. Which is nearing. It is solely due to their age. These boards were tanks. I now ned to try to work around the lighting controller or implement a new one on this board. This is the board with the heavier springs that I use. Keeping it alive with parts from others. All have some failure or other at this point. I assure you that he new decks not made by TG3 are not of the same quality by any measure. You are comparing a board that started at $300 23 years ago to one that is $100 or so today. I would not get a new deck. The Topre RGB is well known to not be the quality or feel of an actual Realforce. Which I fully agree. So if I cannot fix this I will just have to start looking. Actually I like the Logitech g413 a little better than other backlit options but it is red and also not the quality of the original Deck's either. Not even close. I think backlit key boards are mainly a novelty for gamers. Add to that I want white only led's and not more than 105 keys. So obviously I will have to compromise somewhere. I suppose as a last resort I could get the 40% TG3 that is all the cop cars. I could always get a num pad but prefer it on the board oddly enough. I hope that explains my position.

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 01:37:54 »
There is simply nothing like this today. I just complained, that's all. Still my favorite board, modified. If my Grandson cannot fix it yet again I will be very surprised. It is not the single led but the controller. As mentioned they posted the schematic at the time which is unprecedented. I would actually offer TG3 a lot of money to have a second go at this market. I will call them. I know the CEO. Now, it might very well sell. Nya, if you are watching this in disbelief you are welcome to comment lol. For the record it is not your board.

Offline typo

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 21:40:47 »
Okay now I actually am thinking about something else. Very reluctantly so. I just had one with the reverse Dye Sub chip under normal usage. Perhaps there is more to why these are defunct. Still of course no problem I have plenty of keys. I am getting tired of how temperamental these are. TBH, it is obviously age. They worked fine for 20+ years. If you find a good IBM board for instance it is most likely one with low mileage. No board with 20,000 hours on it is going to be much good. Especially if it is backlit. I think I shall persist though for the meantime. I do indeed love these but I am growing weary.

Offline odd

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 03:25:01 »
How many drugs did you take typo? Also these people sell brand new TG3's for excellent prices:

https://tinyurl.com/yc3arerz

Pick up a few if these are your favorite and you are running low. There are several sellers on Ebay that sell OG TG3 boards if you really want the 90's style and build quality
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 September 2017, 03:37:11 by odd »

Offline typo

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 06:13:52 »
Yes I know. The "82". It is not a full size keyboard which is my preference. These things tend to fail but to be fair they are between 14 and 23 years old.  I did not take drugs of course but I get what you mean . I went nuts about it. Well, because I really like them. All good things must come to an end. I have one with much heavier springs installed which is my dily driver. It continues to suffer failures at this point. Again, to be fair this one is 19 years old. Some people like this 80's throwback a lot which is why they buy Model M, F boards. Just sad at the passing of a good friend. I can't keep asking my Grandson to fix it. It just is not fair to him. Of course he is going to say sure, Poppy. He has a serious job to do and a family. I used to work on anything just fine. I have Parkinson's so soldering good is almost impossible. Otherwise I would not even be complaining. I understand though not everyone wants to hear all this nonsense. You must realize a old man using 120+g,cn switches is nuts to begin with. In case you did not read, they are clears but He replaced the springs for me. I also paid a lot for the springs, led's etc. So it is just a bummer to me. I understand I do not need to beat it into the ground for everyone to see. As I said I know the CEO of TG3 but that is not fair either. Warranty expired decades ago. I like this kind of board because it is otherwise a tank. It may very well be time to enter the modern age. I have Realforce, HHKB, Razer Ornata Chroma, Filco, Leopold, Ducky....... I am probably actually not that nuts really I am sure there plenty of people here that have a bunch. I guess it is time to say good bye to an old friend. One thing that shocked me is I have used it so much I just finally wore through the Dye Sub on one key! That, of course is on me and not TG#. I have plenty of other keys anyways. I apologize for going berserk over this in public. Had I not done so of course no one would ever even know my personal drama. Sorry.

Offline dante

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 09:13:54 »
typo, if I were you I would reach out to the CEO of Deck and jokingly say "Look here, you advertised this as the last keyboard I'd ever need."  Maybe they will take it an refurbish it for you for being such a loyal staunch supporter.  If they offer to replace it with a newer model tell them you prefer the original.

They may have a stash of controllers and what not for your needs.

To save you some time in the future maybe you'd consider Tactile MX Grays instead of replacing springs.

Offline typo

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 12:43:29 »
Those Grey's are hard to find afaik. That would work though. I don't want to have bad apples with them. I know what it said on the boxes but much worse false claims have been made. Around 20 years things start failing on these. That is fair since most people would probably not have it anymore. I mean you can take that statement to mean 10 generations I guess. Save for the word "you". I guess. You can usually judge a products usable life by it's warranty period. The model M's that are still going probably are not ones that saw hundreds of thousands of hours by now.  All of the parts in he thing are readily available except for an IC. I kind of doubt they have them anymore but who knows. I know you said "jokingly". The problem is constantly repairing it is far from ideal. Probably time to move on. I have a lot of keyboards and I could honestly get used to blues or even Topre but not my HHKB just due to the layout. Pressing two keys to get one and the dip switch are less to my liking than any lite switch. I could get a Deck 82 and reluctantly do without the num pad but blue led's. They have changed to SMD and other newer technologies.

Offline dante

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 13:56:19 »
Tactile Greys aren't difficult to find at all: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1023

I would still reach out to Deck.  They spend next to nothing on marketing so helping out a long time loyal customer shouldn't be a burden.

You are the best advertising they've had since Deck Girl.

Offline typo

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 22:02:24 »
So true lol. Everyone there was very nice when I had been there 20 years ago. I am sure they are still a very customer oriented company given their core clientele. The problem is one thing after the other has failed on all these boards. It would be unlikely they have replacements this far out but who knows.

You think it is easier to swap switches than put in a spring? The Grey's are not even this heavy. I am talking 120+g,cn actuation. I am not crazy I am just built like the average Gorilla!

A different board is fine but I know nothing currently of this quality. I am also so used to flat profile. Some had said it makes typing harder but heck with 120+g,cn springs how much harder could typing get for most people HAHA. I actually like this Razer. In fact better than the Topre rgb. The problem is it is nowhere near the quality of a TG3 product. TG# is very hard use stuff, the new Deck's are not made by them and just as flimsy as everything else out there now. Like those that prefer Model M, F. They know the quality. The problem is I am stuck on the backlight. I have a bunch of keyboards but very few are nearly bomb proof. To most, Filco, Leopold, Realforce are fine but I am talking the Hummer of keyboards. Only a few old ones. Of those only one backlit. why do I need this? Back to the Gorilla statement!