Author Topic: iphone y u no found?(lost mine need new phone)  (Read 3383 times)

Offline WhiteRice

iphone y u no found?(lost mine need new phone)
« on: Thu, 17 February 2011, 18:22:32 »
So I lost my iphone at work today. It was a really busy day and I think I left it in the ****ter stall.

In case it doesn't turn up I need new phone suggestions.

A used iphone 4 is around $500 on ebay. Out of the question since the new one is coming out later this year.

I was thinking about something running the android os.

A used google nexus one is about $250 on ebay.

What do you guys say?

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 February 2011, 22:06:56 »
Borrow a WebOS device if you can for a little while.  If nothing else, the multitasking paradigm and overall polish of the platform are excellent.

The problem is that it's a bit between hardware revisions-- the existing kit is old and on closeout, the new stuff not yet available.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 February 2011, 15:44:33 »
Interesting suggesting palm pre's seem to be going for $150 on ebay...

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 February 2011, 15:55:52 »
If you get  a  phone  like mine,  nobody's going  to want  to steal  it.

CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline .XL

• http://www.paokfc.gr/
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 February 2011, 17:12:17 »
Ive been trying to offload my blackberry bold 9700 for a month and a half and get an android phone...I decided to stick os6 on the bold before i try to sell it. Now, I'm keeping it. I actually really like os6. Its much faster than 5, and the browser is much nicer. Its less business more user friendly, and vie really been enjoying it. Also, i was looking forward to getting rid of the blackberry and trying Skype but after getting my first mech and playing with both type phones I find the blackberry bold keyboard is fantastic and is very hard to pass up for a touchscreen.

Id say try out os6, its definitely worth a look. Android and iPhones are the most popular but don't discount blackberry os6 (not 5, 5is boring) and web os!
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch-2 87key Browns - Realforce 103UB 55g - Compaq MX11800 (ghetto clears + doubleshots)

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 February 2011, 17:16:27 »
Most Android phones beat out the iPhone by a long shot. As a matter of fact, Android's market share in cell phones is already at the same level as Apple's, and is likely to surpass it.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Lanx

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 February 2011, 21:15:50 »
i have a droid, fiance has bb curve and iphone4. I use all 3 just because i can, imo i hate bb and iphone. I may well be that the bb is a company phone so it's super locked down and i don't want to mess with it cuz well it's a company phone. Both the iphone and droid are jailbroken/rooted cuz well that's what your supposed to do, even with that and the super settings exposed i really don't like the iphone, in fact i had a ipod touch for 3 years and hated it.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 February 2011, 21:20:36 »
I'm really curious about the Motorola Droid Pro. I have a Droid Incredible (HTC) now and it's really nice overall except for the touch screen keyboard.

Offline .XL

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 February 2011, 21:50:23 »
Quote from: Lanx;297568
i have a droid, fiance has bb curve and iphone4. I use all 3 just because i can, imo i hate bb and iphone. I may well be that the bb is a company phone so it's super locked down and i don't want to mess with it cuz well it's a company phone. Both the iphone and droid are jailbroken/rooted cuz well that's what your supposed to do, even with that and the super settings exposed i really don't like the iphone, in fact i had a ipod touch for 3 years and hated it.

Meh, the curve sucks. I wouldn't bother with any BB other than the Bold or the Torch. The bold has a really nice keyboard, and OS6 is much nicer than 5 on the Curve (the Bold 9700 I has isn't normally allowed to have OS6, I just stuck it on there for fun).

Company BBs are usually pretty locked down. It's pretty much a mobile email platform with exchange and whatnot.

I wouldn't want an iPhone either, if I had the option. I don't know. It'd work well with my Macbook Pro but I just don't really like it as a device in general.
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch-2 87key Browns - Realforce 103UB 55g - Compaq MX11800 (ghetto clears + doubleshots)

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 February 2011, 22:59:40 »
Quote from: .XL;297578
Meh, the curve sucks. I wouldn't bother with any BB other than the Bold or the Torch. The bold has a really nice keyboard, and OS6 is much nicer than 5 on the Curve (the Bold 9700 I has isn't normally allowed to have OS6, I just stuck it on there for fun).

I wouldn't want an iPhone either, if I had the option. I don't know. It'd work well with my Macbook Pro but I just don't really like it as a device in general.

On the same boat, I have a 9650 with OS6 on there.  9700 had an official OS6 released if I'm not mistaken.

Despite having been a BB fan as it was my first smartphone back in 09, I'm going to make the switch to Android for the next couple of years, at least until I can see how QNX is going to function on a mobile Blackberry device, not just the Playbook.

The Thunderbolt is looking quite enticing as it does simultaneous voice/data on 3G, but seeing as how our area won't be getting 4G anytime soon I don't think it's worth the extra $250~ on a contract to get it.

Might just get the DInc or the DInc S, depending on its release date and my upgrade date.
find me on twitter: @sawedust
starcraft 2 related blog: QuanticSawe.851
QuanticGaming.com

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 10:42:25 »
Here's a solution:
Forget about cellphones altogether.

I've never owned one, and never will.
They just waste your time, constantly eat money, and allow people to bug you.

I suggest you start using the landline if you have something important to say. I'm sure your office has a phone in it. This way it'll always be in one spot.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline .XL

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 11:18:44 »
Quote from: sawedust;297594
On the same boat, I have a 9650 with OS6 on there.  9700 had an official OS6 released if I'm not mistaken.

Despite having been a BB fan as it was my first smartphone back in 09, I'm going to make the switch to Android for the next couple of years, at least until I can see how QNX is going to function on a mobile Blackberry device, not just the Playbook.

The Thunderbolt is looking quite enticing as it does simultaneous voice/data on 3G, but seeing as how our area won't be getting 4G anytime soon I don't think it's worth the extra $250~ on a contract to get it.

Might just get the DInc or the DInc S, depending on its release date and my upgrade date.

I was a Sony-Ericson guy for my first couple years with a cellphone, then I got one of the very first touchscreen phones...the HTC TyTn. People told me I was stupid when I got it, 'why do you want a phone like that? It's annoying. There's no keyboard on the  front, you have to open it, and it's big.' Now they own iPhones and Androids hahah.

I had the G1, used it for a good 6 months, then went to a Nokia E71. Fantastic phone. I've never seen a phone with better build quality!! I'd drop it just to make a point to people...it would chip cement, dent hardwood...but the OS was quite lackluster (i'd actually like that phone a lot with WinMo7).

The Bold 9700 I have is a pretty good phone. If I could combine the looks of the Bold, with the build quality of the Nokia E71, and BB OS6 with the internals and app market of an android phone I'd have my perfect phone :p

I can't upgrade it here...i think only a certain carrier allows the upgrade, and I know T-Mobile doesn't (they sell the 9780, which is the 9700 with upgraded internal mem and OS6).

Quote from: EverythingIBM;297727
Here's a solution:

I suggest you start using the landline if you have something important to say. I'm sure your office has a phone in it. This way it'll always be in one spot.

It's a shame you don't have a cell phone...the 21st century has been calling to invite you over :p

Quote from: ripster;297732
Whenever I see a MW or EIBM post I remember that I need to pick up this Lego piece on Ebay.

Han Solo

Agreed^^

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 12:36:53 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;297727
Here's a solution:

I hate cell phones as well. I do own one, but I rarely use it.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 12:39:39 »
Now that you can't find pay phones anywhere, good luck in an emergency situation when you don't have a phone and need to make a call...

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 14:02:17 »
One of my friends got the HTC Desire Z, has a pretty swish fold out keyboard. Whenever my Symbian Nokia E66 dies, I'll be grabbing one. I used to love Nokia, but have completely lost all faith in them now that they sold out to Windows Phone over Android.

Offline .XL

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 15:38:30 »
Quote from: ch_123;297827
One of my friends got the HTC Desire Z, has a pretty swish fold out keyboard. Whenever my Symbian Nokia E66 dies, I'll be grabbing one. I used to love Nokia, but have completely lost all faith in them now that they sold out to Windows Phone over Android.

Don't be such a fanboy. WinMo7 is quite a good phone OS, comparable to Android and iOS. Nokia making WinMo 7 phones is a great thing...more competition means better offerings for us, the consumers.

Though I AM quite upset that Nokia will most likely NOT be offering Meego phones, it might be for the best at the same time...maybe manufacturers will stop waiting for Nokia to release a Meego phone and make their own!

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 15:55:42 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;297778
Now that you can't find pay phones anywhere, good luck in an emergency situation when you don't have a phone and need to make a call...

That's the only  reason  why I use a  cell  phone.

Offline .XL

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 16:49:40 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;297884
That's the only  reason  why I use a  cell  phone.

...no one calls/texts you?

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 17:17:09 »
People  call  me  on  my home  telephone.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 17:21:24 »
You're getting with  the  wrong nineties.

Offline .XL

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 17:26:22 »
@MW - PM me your cell phone, I'll call or text you.

No one will be *forever alone* on these forums...NO ONE.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 17:36:04 »

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 18:32:11 »
Without question, the cellphone and cellphone technology has improved quality of living. Worldwide. The purpose is to: 1) communicate with people,
2) share valuable information, news, events.

Rarely, every now and then, I come across an "interesting" individual loudly proclaiming they "hate cellphones", "refuse to use them" and blah blah blah. Then, I always notice a couple distinct things: These people are almost universally by themselves, and no one seems to notice them much.

Perhaps they have no one to communicate with and have no information/news/events to be shared. = No cellphone needed.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline .XL

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 18:44:43 »
Quote from: input nirvana;297971
Without question, the cellphone and cellphone technology has improved quality of living. Worldwide. The purpose is to: 1) communicate with people,

Rarely, every now and then, I come across an "interesting" individual loudly proclaiming they "hate cellphones", "refuse to use them" and blah blah blah. Then, I always notice a couple distinct things: These people are almost universally by themselves, and no one seems to notice them much.

Perhaps they have no one to communicate with and have no information/news/events to be shared. = No cellphone needed.

In defense of MW and the other guy in this thread who doesn't like cell phones...it's actually really liberating to be without one. Every summer I spend a month and a half in Greece, and I do it without a cell phone. It's not because I can't (I have several unlocked quad band phones, and always bring at least one with me), it's because I leave the cellphone at my house at all times, and I spend most of the day out. I leave my laptop in the US, too. I like to stay off tech.

It's a good excuse to keep communication more one-sided, i.e. on your terms. When people find out you don't keep your cell on you, they don't call you as often. And being without a cellphone is much more relaxing. It makes the day feel longer, you feel more relaxed, and you're more social with the people around you.

Buuut...while I'm in the US I love my cell phone. It's nice to have around. I'll go for a weekend every now and then where I let the phone die and just use my gf or brother's phone, and that works for me too. It's nice to have some peace and quite some times ;)

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 18:45:32 »
I simply  prefer to talk to  people  face-to-face or use my home telephone. There is absolutely nothing wrong with  that.  I  don't  "hate" cell phones, I just choose not to use them. If I  want to  use the Internet,  I  go  home and  use some computers. I  just don't feel the need to be "connected" everywhere I  go.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 18:47:56 »
Sounds nice. Can I come with you to Greece?

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 18:48:45 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;297977
I  just don't feel the need to be "connected" everywhere I  go.

You sure do spend a lot of time posting on GeekHack.

Offline .XL

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 18:50:53 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;297979
Sounds nice. Can I come with you to Greece?

Totally welcome to! Though tbh the people there use their cellphones much more than anyone does here. Often time they won't have PC's at home (not even a laptop) and use internet cafes whenever they need a pc. They do all their internet stuff on their phones, and even use their phones as externals. LOL. At least a group of my friends does, they're really big on fixing up their cars though.

Hachiroku with 545 whp. IN. SANE.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 February 2011, 18:53:13 by .XL »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 18:53:36 »
Being "unconnected" is absolutely liberating. I don't think anyone should be "on" 24/7. But, like anything, moderation. Pizza can be great, but not everyday. To never have pizza would be less fulfilling as well.

Someone said "hate" cellphone. I'm making a general statement not directed to anyone in particular. That would be senseless and rude. I use cellphones on my terms. I'm self-employed, travel extensively, and have friends across the US and several countries. Can't sit by a landline with time zones and the such. It depends on needs and wants. Scheduling phone calls is a vestige of the past. Seems ridiculous to use a horse and buggy when you can fly or drive more effectively.

Not rocket science.

Let's get back to trying to be helpful to the OP and stop preaching about what we think about using cellphones. That wasn't his question.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 February 2011, 18:58:45 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 18:57:38 »
Quote from: input nirvana;297989

Someone said "hate" cellphone.

Wasn't  that you?

Quote from: input nirvana;297971

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 19:03:02 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;297992
Wasn't  that you?

Oh yea. I knew better than to open my mouth.

I'll shut up now.

As you were, soldiers.

BACK TO KEYBOARDS!

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 23 February 2011, 00:44:15 »
Oh jesus....

Offline .XL

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 23 February 2011, 14:12:43 »
Quote from: WhiteRice;299683
Oh jesus....

Yes?