Author Topic: i've got jury duty  (Read 4852 times)

Offline wellington1869

i've got jury duty
« on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 22:22:08 »
I've got jury duty tomorrow: Aaaaaargh.

Any tips on how to get out of it? Should I blurt out something politically incorrect?

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
i've got jury duty
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 22:23:33 »
Look up jury nullification. Talk about it.

But, really, it's your duty to do it. (And don't say a word about jury nullification, until (and if) you need to use it.)

Offline lexicon

• http://www.word-detective.com
i've got jury duty
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 22:51:42 »
Does your job pay you for the time?  I did jury duty six or seven time when I lived in NYC and got a lot of reading done.  You also meet a lot of weirdos.

I never got picked because I worked for a law firm.
IBM Model M 1391401 (1989)
IBM Model M 52G9658 (1993) x2
Unicomp Customizer 101 (black)
Solidtek ASK-6600U
Dell AT101W (way too many)
Dell AT101W (black)
Silicon Graphics AT-101 (1993)
Cherry G84-4100

Offline wellington1869

i've got jury duty
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 January 2009, 23:12:16 »
Quote from: lexicon;17285
Does your job pay you for the time?  I did jury duty six or seven time when I lived in NYC and got a lot of reading done.  You also meet a lot of weirdos.

I never got picked because I worked for a law firm.

interesting that they didnt want lawyers, lol.  I dont think my job will pay cuz its just part time and I'm a student employee. I'll ask though.

I think the state provides lunch and about $20 per day though.

Guess I'll take a book and my alphasmart with me.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline lexicon

i've got jury duty
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 00:09:04 »
I'm not a lawyer, BTW.  I worked in paralegal administration in a big Wall St. law firm.  I think they actually avoided seating me on a jury because they figured I hated lawyers.  

They were right, at least the lawyers I worked with.
Solidtek ASK-6600U
Dell AT101W (black)
Cherry G84-4100

Offline wellington1869

i've got jury duty
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 00:27:48 »
Quote from: lexicon;17288
I'm not a lawyer, BTW.  I worked in paralegal administration in a big Wall St. law firm.  I think they actually avoided seating me on a jury because they figured I hated lawyers.  

They were right, at least the lawyers I worked with.

lol, thats funny.  I'd love to get out of it, I've got so much other stuff going on right now that needs my attention.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
i've got jury duty
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 02:22:55 »
Show up drinking a 40 oz OE High Gravity.

Offline wellington1869

i've got jury duty
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 02:37:11 »
Quote from: xsphat;17299
Show up drinking a 40 oz OE High Gravity.

:D Well it looks like I'm going to have less than 3 hours of sleep before showing up there, so that might have the same effect ;)

Offline wellington1869

i've got jury duty
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 03:13:03 »
Quote from: webwit;17305
Start talking about the wonders of mechanical keyboards. Cherry-roll those guys.

Lol! :D That would do it too

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
i've got jury duty
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 03:33:40 »
Cherry-roll? is that as in Rick-roll? If it is, I like it.

Offline itlnstln

i've got jury duty
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 06:58:52 »
In the state of Texas, you can get out of jury duty if you are a student.  You may want to try that route if it is available in NY.  I was supposed to show proof of taking courses (I brought my tuition statement), but when I got there, the lady at the counter didn't even look at it; she just dismissed me.  I could have brought my electric bill and she would have let me go.  You will be suprised how easy it is to get out of jury duty.  My dad went once, and during screening said that he would support the death penalty for a case involving battery during a bar fight. :)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
i've got jury duty
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 08:29:06 »
I've been selected as a potential juror, but my name never came up.  (had to call in at 6am every morning to see if I had to go in)

I'd really like to pull jury duty sometime.

Offline itlnstln

i've got jury duty
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 09:05:56 »
I would like to be on a jury if it were a good case.  San Antonio cases are generally either petty BS (robbery where the defendent is on camera doing the crime or some Judge Judy stuff) or a homicide where the identity of the killer is already confirmed.  Not that any of that is not tragic, especially if someone was harmed or killed, but I want something interesting like the Enron trials, OJ, or something.

Offline lexicon

i've got jury duty
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 09:35:37 »
In New York it used to be easy to get out of jury duty, especially if you were a lawyer or some sort of big shot, but sometime in the 90s they clamped down and now even politicians end up serving.  I'm pretty sure Mayor Bloomberg was on a jury a while back.
Solidtek ASK-6600U
Dell AT101W (black)
Cherry G84-4100

Offline itlnstln

i've got jury duty
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 10:12:00 »
I guess in TX, it doesn't matter much.  The folks down here are very conservative, religious, and, in many cases, country (not that any of this is bad).  Because of this, the defendent rarely wins.  Just look at our death penalty record.  :(

Offline lexicon

i've got jury duty
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 10:25:19 »
From what I know, the criminal justice system in Japan is truly scary.  They have a much lower crime and arrest rate, but a much higher conviction rate than the US (and the US has the highest per capita incarceration rate in the world).  If you are arrested in Japan, you are pretty much assumed guilty.

Worse yet, if you're sentenced to death, they do not tell you --- or your family -- when it's going to happen.  They just come for you one morning.  Some people spend years in that state of suspense.  Just thinking about that gives me nightmares.
Solidtek ASK-6600U
Dell AT101W (black)
Cherry G84-4100

Offline wellington1869

i've got jury duty
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 11:57:21 »
Quote from: lexicon;17351
From what I know, the criminal justice system in Japan is truly scary.  They have a much lower crime and arrest rate, but a much higher conviction rate than the US (and the US has the highest per capita incarceration rate in the world).  If you are arrested in Japan, you are pretty much assumed guilty.

Worse yet, if you're sentenced to death, they do not tell you --- or your family -- when it's going to happen.  They just come for you one morning.  Some people spend years in that state of suspense.  Just thinking about that gives me nightmares.

hey, at least they have a justice system :)  Most countries in the world, quite frankly, dont even have one (or a functioning one).

Ok, so I got out of jury duty! :D  and legitimately too. Basically I showed up on 3 hours of sleep and they had just begun the 'welcome to your civic duty' speech for the 200 or 300 potential jurors who showed up this morning. Long story short, they said you need to have your calendar cleared for the next week and a half just in case a trial takes that long, and if you didnt, you could have your duty postponed. Well I have a cousin coming into town on the 9th and have to pick him up at the airport and host him for a week, so I definitely did not have 10 days free. Told the judge this and he said sure you can come back in 6 months. Yay!

For the hour and a half that I was there though, it was actually a pretty interesting experience. First off you get a vivid picture of just how diverse this country is when they stick you in that juror room with hundreds of other poor slobs who had to wake up early and show up like you. Of course the potential jurors are from every imaginable background, rich, poor, every ethnicity, every personality. Some real wackos in that room, too (as lexicon mentioned :) )  But you get a real sense of the diversity of your city-neighbors :)  

Then they gave the 'civic duty and here's where this system comes from, common law and its inheritence and its greatness' speal, and boy you feel really patriotic about the whole thing by the time they're done.

I certainly agree we're lucky to have this system of justice and that its a privelege to do one's civic duty every few years. But this really isnt good timing for me. So I rescheduled for mid-June. Should be fun when I eventually do it.

Offline itlnstln

i've got jury duty
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 12:07:44 »
For the hour and a half that I was there though, it was actually a pretty interesting experience. First off you get a vivid picture of just how diverse this country is when they stick you in that juror room with hundreds of other poor slobs who had to wake up early and show up like you. Of course the potential jurors are from every imaginable background, rich, poor, every ethnicity, every personality. Some real wackos in that room, too (as lexicon mentioned  ) But you get a real sense of the diversity of your city-neighbors  

Here in San Antonio, we don't have much diversity.  When I lived in Austin, though, it was a real melting pot, and I really enjoyed it when I was in college.  The food, music, culture, and, of course the people.  NYC is a place I would enjoy living as well, but it's too damn cold for my (now) Southern a**.  I enjoy 75 degree weather in the middle of January.  :)

Offline wellington1869

i've got jury duty
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 12:13:16 »
I should add, (since everything in the world is ultimately related to keyboards), that so long as I was down there, I swung by J&R to manhandle the 'matias tactile pro 2' once again. The tp2 supposedly has white clicky strongmans (I wondered if I could get away with it if I whipped out a key puller and yanked a key off the demo model, lol) but I cant verify that until I have one in my hands I guess.

In terms of feel, the TP2 has less resistance than the white alps mk96. Thats the main difference I guess. I like it a lot better. A TP2 with the aekII damped sliders would be great for me.

I know a lot of folks say the white alps (mk96 for instance) 'loosens up' after a little bit of use. Does that mean the resistance on it becomes less? My experience with the mk96 was that the tactile bump was very noticeable. Does it become less noticeable with use? Is that what 'loosening up' means?  Anyway, I think the strongmans already come that way.

In every other way they felt similar to the white alps.  Especially in terms of sound and etc.

Offline wellington1869

i've got jury duty
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 12:18:06 »
Quote from: itlnstln;17367
I enjoy 75 degree weather in the middle of January.  :)

I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy that too ;)  

NYC is a blast and a non-stop carnival but my time here is going to be up soon when I graduate. Dont know where i'll wind up after that. So I've been mentally prepping myself for the change.  I did grow up in small towns and suburbs and those definitely have their charms too. I might even be ready for that lifestyle once again, having been here for almost a decade.

Offline itlnstln

i've got jury duty
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 12:26:27 »
I know a lot of folks say the white alps (mk96 for instance) 'loosens up' after a little bit of use. Does that mean the resistance on it becomes less? My experience with the mk96 was that the tactile bump was very noticeable. Does it become less noticeable with use? Is that what 'loosening up' means? Anyway, I think the strongmans already come that way.

In my experience, it is the resistance the loosens up; the tactility and any clicking remain the same.  I am using a brand new AT101W today, and can tell the difference in resistance between this and my other Alps 'boards.

Offline wellington1869

i've got jury duty
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 12:32:52 »
Quote from: itlnstln;17370
In my experience, it is the resistance the loosens up; the tactility and any clicking remain the same.  I am using a brand new AT101W today, and can tell the difference in resistance between this and my other Alps 'boards.

Thats interesting, so that means the strongmans probably have a lighter bump/click to begin with.  I guess I'm preferring that for some reason. Well at least I really like the demo model in j&r anyway. Liked it as soon as I put my hands on it. A TP2 is actually the only board that I can imagine could displace my endurapro right now.

Offline itlnstln

i've got jury duty
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 12:43:58 »
I have heard about quality concerns about the TP2 here on GeekHack, but that may have been more about the Strongmans vs. Alps than anything.  I really like the Alps switches for their lighter resistance.  After using Alps-based 'boards for awhile, I find BS and even domes to be heavy and sluggish (in the case of BS, it gives them a sturdier feel vs. the sloppy feel of domes).  I would like to try some Cherry Browns to see how they feel, so I bid on a Compaq MX11800.  If I like it, I might get a Filco.  Right now, I am pretty happy with the Dells as I am using one on my home PC and one here at work.

Offline wellington1869

i've got jury duty
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 07 January 2009, 19:27:18 »
Quote from: itlnstln;17372
I have heard about quality concerns about the TP2 here on GeekHack, but that may have been more about the Strongmans vs. Alps than anything.  I really like the Alps switches for their lighter resistance.  After using Alps-based 'boards for awhile, I find BS and even domes to be heavy and sluggish (in the case of BS, it gives them a sturdier feel vs. the sloppy feel of domes).  I would like to try some Cherry Browns to see how they feel, so I bid on a Compaq MX11800.  If I like it, I might get a Filco.  Right now, I am pretty happy with the Dells as I am using one on my home PC and one here at work.

ya, i saw those posts about the quality issues. I'd harvest its strongmans and put them either into my smk85 or the dell at101w though. So I just want its switches :)

I know what you mean about too much resistance in the BS. But the BS in endurapro is a lot lighter than the BS in M. Atleast IMO.  I find the endurapro much more useable in that regard.  But ya, the strongmans would become my 'lighter' board. :)  I found the brown cherries to be way too light. Let me know what you think about that as compared to the alps, once you get your brown cherries board.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
i've got jury duty
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 08 January 2009, 07:37:08 »
Quote from: itlnstln;17370

This makes sense as the click/tactile leaf is a separate part. In ALPS, this leaf spring provides initial resistance and holds the stem up.