Author Topic: [GB] Lasgweloth PCB, a "leaf-spring tray-mount" 60% (UPDATE: sound tests added)  (Read 39764 times)

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub

(Sindárin, Gnomish) Lasgweloth (n). Leaf-fading; autumn. It is said to describe the feeling of leaves fading and falling in the middle of the fifth week of the elven year. (Source: "A Gateway to Sindarin: A Grammar of an Elvish Language" and "The Etymologies").

1. Introduction: a PCB to rule them all

Hey guys, what is up?

So this time I want to bring a new PCB that I have been working for almost a year now: the Lasgweloth (pronounced "les-gweh-loth" in the old Sindárin language).

This PCB is a universal 60% PCB aimed at mitigating the shortcomings of tray-mount 60% cases like the TOFU, the 5 degree, the Klippe and the Fjell. I don't know about you guys, but I absolutely love my TOFU and I think that it is the best cost-per-benefit board out there (kudos to Wei and KBDFans!). However, as you might expect, the T1s I put on it (then again, kudos to Wei) don't make the best sound ever, and the feeling is also less than stellar due to the rigid plate killing the flex. So I tried devising an improved mounting scheme to help with both feeling and sound of my tray-mount boards. I honestly also dislike this dis-taste we have for traymounts, like they are unevitably faded to sound/feel bad.

As we know, these are exactly the two main shortcomings of tray-mount boards. They are cheap and easy to produce and easy to assemble; however, the uneven pressure from the screws on the PCB makes sound propagate to the case raw material in a very harsh PCB-to-metal contact, making the keyboard not sound as better as it could. Also, since the screws are stiffly mounted, the whole PCB-plate kit is itself very stiff and that kills the fleXXX, meaning tray boards also tend to feel not so good as top mounts for instance.

2. What's up with the name and the weird characters?

The name Lasgweloth comes from the word in Sindárin language, which is (one of) the language of the modern Elf people. It was derived from the Eldarin, the old language of the Eldar elves, this one deriving itself from the language spoken from the Valar and Maiar peoples, the caste of demi-gods created by god Eru, that shaped the Earth and battled Melkor according to Tolkien Lore.

As a HUGE Toliken nerd, I have grown up reading the tales of Middle Earth and adopted my own nickname as an elven nickname -- Gondolindrim meaning one from Gondolin, the hidden elven city that was ultimately betrayed by one of its own for a pitiful power struggle. I invite you to read The Fall of Gondolin, the last published book in the Tolkien world which was in fact posthumously published. I also invite you to hear the song "Mirror Mirror" from the band Blind Guardian, which tells the story of why and how the elven king Turgon built the city of Gondolin.

The reason I chose this particular theme is because the open-source Acheron Project, the compendium of my open-source works, already has PCBs named after my dear friends Mister Keebs (the KeebsPCB) and Arctic Fox (the ArcticPCB), and I wanted a PCB that had my specs with my signature features. I chose a universal 60% with the most common layouts (see below) with no LEDs and no RGB.

3. The PCB and the leaf-spring tray monting system

Now that is a mouthful, isn't it? I came up with this idea when taking a look at the leaf-spring mounted keyboards and noticing how that mounting system promotes the fleXXX we want and need. The idea there is simple: isolating mechanical vibrations inside the plate medium and isolate them from the keyboard case, so they don't propagate through the keyboard case. It also reduces the stiffnes of the plate and makes the sound concise.

The idea here is the same. We all know tray-mounts are not ideal because the uneven pressure from the screws on the PCB or plate makes the sound and pressure distribute unevenly; that destroys fleXXX and the sound. My idea is then to use the leaf-spring idea to isolate sound and make the PCB fleXXXier.

What I did was, understanding that the propagation of sound is basically the travelling of mechanical waves through a medium, there are particular shapes which can promote destructive interactions from the wave with its reflexions; that means that we can cut certain shapes in the PCB that concentrate sound in the screw centers and do not let that sound propagate from the PCB to the case.

The shapes I came up with are illustrated in the next figures. They show the mounting screw holes of the PCB, isolated by "leaf-spring" shapes that aim to sonically isolate the screws from the rest of the PCB; also, they concentrade stress on the necks, making them fleXXXier. The particular shape was determined through numerical simulation in SolidWorkds of the propagating sound through the PCB, using normal values of medium characteristics for FR4. This was then used to determine the "neck shapes" needed to promote destructive iteration of sound.

And here are images of how they will look when implemented on the actual PCB:

Of course, I had to fleXXX my nerdiness with a label and an Acheron Logo written in Tengwär alphabet . The figures below show the whole PCB, without components. Of course, the PCB also features seXXXy stress-relief cuts, ESD protection, USB type C, voltage supression on USB power lines, ARM processor, QMK and VIA support.

4. What is this GB and prices

Since the PCB is going to be open-source and no one is paying me to do it, I need prototyping money. Given the recent sucess I had with the Doddle60 project, I want to do something similar now. I reached out to Quakemz and he agreed to do the same thing Jae did witht the Doddle60. I will raflle 10-15 spots (depending on my capabilities) and Brian will proxy the PCBs, at the cost of one unit for himself. Since Quakemz is US-based and we want to keep this simple, we will limit the raffle to US addresses and to one unit per spot.

The unfortunate part is that due to the COVID pandemic, shipping and materials cost have increased significantly. Each PCB will cost 45 USD. This covers one PCB unit and the shipping from me to Brian; after he gets the PCBs, we will calculate shipping prices and it will be charged then.

Additionally, I will also offer FR4 60% plates. These will be plated, that is, have a "chromed" effect -- see the image below for an example. Each will cost 10 USD and will be optional (limited to 2 units per spot). They will also feature the Lasgwelot logo.

Below there are two renders of the plate. The plate I will ship will have the Lasdweloth logo on it (then again, metallized-plated).

5. Timeline

Doddle60, however, had a problem with its shipping and this time around I want to get a better shipping to make sure everything arrives on time. I expect that, between taking the money and deliver to Brian, 3-4 months should pass. In this interim I intend to prototype these PCBs before making any final version. However, since we are in the middle of the whole COVID sh**show, I can't guarantee anything time-wise.

6. Final thoughts

- Open-source PCBs with novel mounting system that makes tray-mounts feel and sound ever so slightly better
- 10-15 raffle spots, US-limited, 45 USD each PCB plus shipping within US
- Each spot can also buy at most 2 10-dollar plated FR4 plates;
- I will assemble the PCBs myself;
- ESD, USBC, ARM, QMK, VIA, OSH, and more acronyms I can't remember
- ETA 4 months

To enter the GB, fill this form. It will stay open for two weeks couting from today (april 21).

7. FAQ

Q: Why so much time to deliver? Well, shipping to Brazil is that slow. Albeit hiring a better shipping, I still am skeptic of its effectiveness, specially in this pandemic. I also intend to make prototypes BEFORE handing the "final versions" to you.

Q: Will this new mounting system make my aluminum plate unlubed stock Gateron Yellows TOFU with post-retool Cherry stabs sound, feel and look like a 1500-dollar custom-cut POM plate TGR with NK Creams spring-swapped with SPRiT gold-plated springs and Zeal stabs lubed with St. Nathan Kim's holy oils? I'm an engineer, not a miracle worker, but I have faith that this PCB will make tray-mount cheap keyboards feel more premium and better sounding. I also am short of St. Kim's blessed oils at the moment.

Q: Why Brian? Because I promised him I'd do a similar thing I did with Jae. Also because he too is a huge LoTR fan. Also because he's amazing. Also because he's beautiful.

Q: Will this PCB be available at a vendor after this? I haven't been in touch with any vendor about this, but I am open to the idea. The PCB will be open-source, so... Yes, this will be available at Jae's store for EU and CannonKeys for US after this GB has ended.

Q: Why limit this to US? To make proxying easier and cheaper. It is what it is, I'm sorry. I can try to futurely do an european proxy. See question above.

Q: Why only MX support? No ALPS, buckling spring, electrocapacitive, choc switches, Romer G, Razer Green, or my custom ALPS-SMK hybrid switch with quantum activation system and Ferrari springs?  No, I prefer Lamborghini

Q: Can I get this PCB with RGB, LEDs, Bluetooth, rotary encoder, an FM radio, Alexa/Siri support to play me despacito and a loudspeaker to play a recording of Hineybush tucking me asleep as I lay in bed with my HBCP in my arms? No. Seriously, the featureset is as it is. No LEDs, no RGB, no BL. Maybe rotary encoder support somewhere, probably the 1U key of the split right shift. I love you Hiney

Q: Are you Canadian? No, and we do have maples in Brazil so I won't take that "stole the maple leaf from Canada" shenanigans. I also absolutely did not steal Maple Design's logo. Totally unintended Chris, I'm sorry

Q: Is this a 4/20 reference? If you smoke imaginary elven maple leafs then yeah sure I don't judge, you do you

Q: I'm an influencer with 100000 million subscribers on Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, WeChat, SinaWeibo, MySpace, ICQ, MSN, my high school, the local church, the Holy Roman Church, the Orthodox Catholic Church, the Satanic Church, the gods of Olympus and the Illuminati. Do you want to give me a free PCB for a sponsored post? No, I have none of these nor am I part of any of these

Q: Can I get a spot for XXX amount of dollars / euros / pounds / Middle-Earth pence / star credits / energy credits? No, I'm alredy rich with love and friends

Q: Can I get a free No

Q: Can I please stop

8. Sound tests

The complete test build is:

• TOFU case
  • C3 stabs
  • Holy Chicky switches (HALO stem inside Cherry MX housings)
  • "Level 4" Lasgweloth (1.6mm PCB with bottom posts and central post removed)
  • FR4 plate

MT3 (please watch first as all the explanations are here): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2_-qJvzRrc

GMK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJDqG2_j2iQ

See this update for comments and thoughts.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 September 2020, 09:33:31 by Gondolindrim »
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
Re: [GB] Lasgweloth PCB, a "leaf-spring tray-mount" 60% universal PCB
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 01:37:17 »
04/22 - Holy d'Artagnan, Batman. 60 entries. Ok, ok, I will expand the offering to 25 PCBs. Also, an idea popped while talking to friends. Since this PCB is supposed ot be experimental, let's experiment. I'm thinkinh of using thinner PCBs, like 1.2 or 1.0, lesser than the common 1.6, which should make the PCB fleXXXier -- I have no idea how that would impact sound, however. I will order them and see how they make the PCB sound and feel different.
04/23 - Future vendors added
05/04 - Form closed and raffling spots sorted out. Please see the raffling video and the raffling end results.
05/08 - Prototypes ordered
06/24 - Prototypes arrived in Brazil. Should have them in 2-30 days
07/24 - PCB prototypes are in. See end of the thread for the pictures!
09/28 - Sound tests added and thoughts on the results
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 September 2020, 09:29:34 by Gondolindrim »
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 09:46:51 »
Interested, Mr. Gondo.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 10:10:45 »
yes, please and thank you

Offline gasp

• Formerly 'boop' (NTBCW Booper)
    • none
Verrry excited to see this project come to fruition. Always here for new things. Looking forward to this!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 10:39:14 »
glwgb!!
(credits to Kokaloo)

Offline DarkSphere00

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 11:37:49 »
That F.AQ. section is gold

Offline iJeeSung

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 13:35:51 »
Thank you for trying to innovate. Looking forward to being an early adopter.

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 14:11:22 »
Neat idea, Gondolindrim. Looking forward to seeing how this affects tray mount boards in the future.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 15:10:41 »
Crossing my fingers I end up getting one of these. I have a Kippe T this would be absolutely perfect in with one of those flex plates.

Offline Quakemz

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 17:19:39 »
Looking forward to trying it out!

Offline pott

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 19:51:55 »
I'm in! I live close to Brian in WA state, so maybe that even simplifies things :) (we're in touch through the Seattle MK community).

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 21:50:59 »
This is sick actually. Really hoping you do an international (or EU) "based" buy at some point.

Salve!

Offline badboy731

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 01:10:02 »
I love it! you can count me in
E7-V1 | TGR Jane v2 CE | HBCP | GSKT-00 | Raine | AOS

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 18:54:34 »
Interested, Mr. Gondo.

Interested, Mr. Lightining.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 18:54:56 »
yes, please and thank you

yes, of course, you are welcome.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
Verrry excited to see this project come to fruition. Always here for new things. Looking forward to this!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Awesome! I'll keep you updated  ;D

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 18:58:31 »
That F.AQ. section is gold

I have no idea what you are talking about. I was just speaking what was in my heart

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 19:10:41 »
Thank you for trying to innovate. Looking forward to being an early adopter.

Thank you for your support  :cool:

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 20:05:48 »
Neat idea, Gondolindrim. Looking forward to seeing how this affects tray mount boards in the future.

My idea here is order two/three kinds of prototypes, each with different thickness: 1.6, 1.2 and 1.0mm and seeing how much that affects sound/feels. Of course I'll document the crap out of it and make a poll.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 20:13:55 »
Crossing my fingers I end up getting one of these. I have a Kippe T this would be absolutely perfect in with one of those flex plates.

You know, I don't have any of these more "high-end" tray mounts (like Klippe or Fjell) but I honestly feel this will make them even more attractive now. I honestly need one of those black fjells.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 20:14:32 »
I'm in! I live close to Brian in WA state, so maybe that even simplifies things :) (we're in touch through the Seattle MK community).

Look at that! Maybe he will be able to hand you the PCB :D

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 20:23:14 »
Looking forward to trying it out!

Looking forward for your review!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 20:28:48 »
This is sick actually. Really hoping you do an international (or EU) "based" buy at some point.

Salve!

I am already in talks with some vendors and I'll think it will be doable. I'll keep you guys updated!

Salve de volta!
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 April 2020, 20:31:00 by Gondolindrim »

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 20:31:22 »
I love it! you can count me in

Got you on the form! Thanks for the support!

Offline 0TTIM0

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 23:40:49 »
Great to see people pushing and innovating. Stoked to see how it pans out!

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 01:19:11 »
would stress fracture be of a concern? altho not everyone bottoms out hard during typing, just wonder if fatigue fractures can occur (given that prototypes might not be stress tested for say 10million presses) ...

Offline Applet

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 02:46:16 »
Oh, very interesting, love the experimental stuff, great to see some innovation, keep it up!  :thumb:

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 17:25:33 »
would stress fracture be of a concern? altho not everyone bottoms out hard during typing, just wonder if fatigue fractures can occur (given that prototypes might not be stress tested for say 10million presses) ...

I did run stress and flexion simulations when I did the soundwave propagation simulations, and they pointed stress or breakage would not be concerns. However, I did run them for a 1.6mm PCB and I will order 1.2 and 1.0 mm protos. I intend to run  in loci stress test for the prototypes to exhaustion or breakage.

« Last Edit: Thu, 23 April 2020, 21:51:11 by Gondolindrim »

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 17:26:33 »
Great to see people pushing and innovating. Stoked to see how it pans out!

Oh, very interesting, love the experimental stuff, great to see some innovation, keep it up!  :thumb:

Thanks for your support guys  :cool:

Offline beekey

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 15:07:37 »
Damn, entered the form, then saw it is US only. Hope this gets to the EU at one point. Like the ideas!

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 15:25:47 »
If this will work as you've envisioned and we hope, I think budget builds will benefit so much from this! :thumb:

On a side note, I really need to get around rebuilding my Groda-T with that CF plate and a WT-60D PCB. Won't have the same effect as this project probably but definitely interesting to try out nonetheless.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline rath_k

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 20:32:01 »
This PCB design is very interesting! Do you think that we can cut the middle mounting points so that the PCB doesn't interfere with the mounting points for maximum flex? I think that it could cause the other mounting points to break.

Also, when are you thinking of releasing the open-source files? I would like to experiment with this design.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 23:11:20 »
Damn, entered the form, then saw it is US only. Hope this gets to the EU at one point. Like the ideas!

It will be available on prototypist.net after the GB for the EU peeps :D

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 23:13:19 »
If this will work as you've envisioned and we hope, I think budget builds will benefit so much from this! :thumb:

On a side note, I really need to get around rebuilding my Groda-T with that CF plate and a WT-60D PCB. Won't have the same effect as this project probably but definitely interesting to try out nonetheless.

That CF plate will sure come in handy :D

If this mounting system works as intended, porting it to Doddle60 is the sure next step

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 23:16:00 »
This PCB design is very interesting! Do you think that we can cut the middle mounting points so that the PCB doesn't interfere with the mounting points for maximum flex? I think that it could cause the other mounting points to break.

Also, when are you thinking of releasing the open-source files? I would like to experiment with this design.

I have the idea of doing that. Snapping off some screw holes and keeping only a handful to see if it gets better. We'll see. I think it will become a problem for 1.2 and 1.0 mm PCBs.

Files will be released as soon as I have raffled the spots and ordered prototypes.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 23:51:59 »
Tolkien? Please and thank you.
Innovation? Please and thank you.
Gondo? Please and thank you.
Quakemz? Please and thank you.

Edit: To be completely transparent, I'm super doubtful it will work, sound-wise. I think it will make more of a difference in feel, and that alone will finally make this Ginsu knife tofu sitting in my closet worth typing on again.
We're all doing bro-science with keyboards, and we can't know until we actually do the dang thing. So let's do it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 April 2020, 00:04:57 by Jaxxstatic »

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 09:10:25 »
I'm really interested in these leaf spring type boards/PCBs, but in the back of my mind I keep worrying about the longevity of the design. Is this something that's fairly durable like a traditional PCB? I know they're designed to tolerate some flexing, but is this something that a year or two down the road I'll be looking at replacing if I use it as a daily driver?

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 20:12:52 »
Tolkien? Please and thank you.
Innovation? Please and thank you.
Gondo? Please and thank you.
Quakemz? Please and thank you.

Edit: To be completely transparent, I'm super doubtful it will work, sound-wise. I think it will make more of a difference in feel, and that alone will finally make this Ginsu knife tofu sitting in my closet worth typing on again.
We're all doing bro-science with keyboards, and we can't know until we actually do the dang thing. So let's do it.

haha thanks jaxx

The early simulations show a significant change in sound profile. I believe this will yield both sound and feel improvements, but then again, only prototypes will show.

Also, as you said, we are all going bro-science here and the concept is cool, so let's do this

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 20:18:18 »
I'm really interested in these leaf spring type boards/PCBs, but in the back of my mind I keep worrying about the longevity of the design. Is this something that's fairly durable like a traditional PCB? I know they're designed to tolerate some flexing, but is this something that a year or two down the road I'll be looking at replacing if I use it as a daily driver?

Stress and bending moment simulations show that longevity will not be an issue. However I do feel a little bit preocuppied with the thinner 1.2mm and 1.0mm versions. I will try and test/document prototypes to see how far they go.

Offline psuedodiy

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 18:16:07 »
Very much interested in making tray mounts great again!!! :thumb:

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 21:40:06 »
Ok guys, GB form closed and raffle results were sorted. Please refer to the raffling video and the raffling end results.

For you guys that did not make it, please note:

• (1) It might be the case that some of the 30 first spots give up, in which case I'll keep calling the ones further down the list until all 30 PCBs are accounted for;
  • (2) PCBs will be available through vendors after the GB has ended
  • (3) All files will be open-sourced after the GB has ended, so you will be able to even make the PCBs and plates yourself!

For the 30 lucky winners, please be attentive to your Discords.

Thank you guys so much for your support! This would not be possible without you guys.

Offline donkey

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 21:58:57 »
No prize for landing on the same spot? :-)

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 22:30:09 »
No prize for landing on the same spot? :-)

ROFL

Unfortunately not haha

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 22:31:47 »
Ok guys so I was unable to contact over Discord:

jkshowman
Jaygro
Beekey
ricepixer
TopreMoon
LevelSteam
jjexpat00

Please DM me at Gondolindrim#9738

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Imagine filling up form first to lose later :pepehands: GLWGB!

Offline beekey

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 01:19:11 »
Ok guys so I was unable to contact over Discord:

jkshowman
Jaygro
Beekey
ricepixer
TopreMoon
LevelSteam
jjexpat00

Please DM me at Gondolindrim#9738
DM send

Offline socalmitch

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 19:32:47 »
Ah well. Congrats to the winners! Looking forward to seeing how this goes.