Author Topic: [GB] JD45 KEYBOARD PRE-ORDERS [Closed]  (Read 144651 times)

Offline knowsnokb

Re: [GB] JD45 KEYBOARD PRE-ORDERS
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 21:46:45 »
I'm not opposed to working with Massdrop, if they become interested.

Awesome.  :thumb:I'll probably start a poll there or ask someone to, if someone doesn't start one ahead of me.

Offline trotXid

« Reply #101 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 00:31:09 »
This will be my 4th keyboard since Christmas, ugh my wallet...  I was going to wait for the Planck to hit massdrop again, but I am sold on this one.  Thank you!

Offline knowsnokb

« Reply #102 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 06:50:06 »
what switches should I get for this keyboard, PCB mount or Plate mount?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #103 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 09:19:50 »
what switches should I get for this keyboard, PCB mount or Plate mount?
You can use either, if you will be using the included plate (which is optional btw), but I always recommend pcb mount switches for extra stability. It also helps with alignment in the universal cutouts.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline neverused

« Reply #104 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 10:29:55 »
It's a real shame about not being able to at least purchase a pcb separately, I have been trying to get one since you introduced the concept months (years?) ago. This version is it off my budget, but certainly an excellent value.

Still, congrats on getting this together, it looks great!

Offline typewriter

« Reply #105 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 10:48:40 »
It's a real shame about not being able to at least purchase a pcb separately, I have been trying to get one since you introduced the concept months (years?) ago. This version is it off my budget, but certainly an excellent value.

Maybe you and I  can help spread the word, so that we could get this really popular, hopefully getting hundreds of people to buy it,  hopefully bringing the price under 150$ assembled.

Anyone here have photos of this with the granite keycaps?

I'll deciding between this and another keyboard that's drop is about to end in 3 days.

Really need something to tip me over to this keyboard because once I get the other keyboard, I will have to take a half year keyboard purchase break.

thanks
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 February 2016, 10:55:11 by typewriter »

Offline neverused

« Reply #106 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 11:13:34 »

Maybe you and I  can help spread the word, so that we could get this really popular, hopefully getting hundreds of people to buy it,  hopefully bringing the price under 150$ assembled.

Anyone here have photos of this with the granite keycaps?

I'll deciding between this and another keyboard that's drop is about to end in 3 days.

Really need something to tip me over to this keyboard because once I get the other keyboard, I will have to take a half year keyboard purchase break.

thanks
Well it's from a reputable supplier, designed by the world class jdcarpe, the pcb is by wilba with prior work from samwise and Vinny so you know the design is well thought out and vetted, and it is sure to have excellent community support on GH.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 11:46:46 »
I would take some photos of the JD45 with Granite, if I had that set. I don't like DSA, so I don't own any Granite.

I will get some photos with Hack'd, Round 5/Honey, Deep Space, and Green Tea, though.

Logistically, I just can't offer PCBs by themselves as an option right now, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 February 2016, 11:51:31 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline typewriter

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 12:06:05 »
Thank you. Hope I can see a couple pics before xxxx keyboard ends so I can cancel in time.

By the way, is there/will there be clear documentation on how to program the keyboard? Like an easy step by step guide?

I know I can use the Easy AVR to produce the Hex file.. But I have no clue how to put the hex file into the keyboard.

And is there an easy/hard way to replace the microcontroller on this just in case it is faulty, since I will have mine possibly shipped somewhere far far away, and returns would just be too costly.

Or will there be a version where the controller is easy replaceable ala HHKB? Modular?

Great looking keyboard by the way. A great improvement over the JD40. I can't wait for JD45 mark 2. or maybe a JD60, with a similar design as the JD45, split spacebar, but with number rows. That would just be perfect!
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 February 2016, 19:59:38 by typewriter »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 18:54:22 »

Silver case, blocked corners, with ROUND 5 / HONEY keycaps.

in memoriam

Offline knowsnokb

« Reply #110 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 19:49:26 »

That just looks beautiful! Probably looks even better on the square corners.  Hope we could see this with the square corners as well, and with similar number of keys as the standard layout of the assembled jd45 (split spacebar, four bottom keys on each side of the split spacebar). ;D
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 February 2016, 19:50:59 by knowsnokb »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 19:52:52 »

That just looks beautiful! Probably looks even better on the square corners.  Hope we could see this with the square corners as well, and with similar number of keys as the standard layout of the assembled jd45 (split spacebar, four bottom keys on each side of the split spacebar). ;D

I'll get a photo of the Hack'd set on the one with squared corners tomorrow. :)

in memoriam

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 20:31:59 »

Show Image

I'll get a photo of the Hack'd set on the one with squared corners tomorrow. :)

Oh my. These images.   :eek:
JD, you may have just won my next paycheck.
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 20:51:39 »
What the heck am I going to sell to afford this?!?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #114 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 21:54:56 »
Show Image

Stunning. And I have those caps on the way!
Can't decide between black or silver. Would you by any chance have the final production black case?

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #115 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 23:29:47 »
What the heck am I going to sell to afford this?!?
BLOOD?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #116 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 23:54:35 »
Thank you. Hope I can see a couple pics before xxxx keyboard ends so I can cancel in time.

By the way, is there/will there be clear documentation on how to program the keyboard? Like an easy step by step guide?

I know I can use the Easy AVR to produce the Hex file.. But I have no clue how to put the hex file into the keyboard.

And is there an easy/hard way to replace the microcontroller on this just in case it is faulty, since I will have mine possibly shipped somewhere far far away, and returns would just be too costly.

Or will there be a version where the controller is easy replaceable ala HHKB? Modular?

Great looking keyboard by the way. A great improvement over the JD40. I can't wait for JD45 mark 2. or maybe a JD60, with a similar design as the JD45, split spacebar, but with number rows. That would just be perfect!

I think you might want to cancel that other keyboard now. :)

I can point you to a programming guide. I'll just have to find it, but I know there is at least one here on GH already.

Once you have generated the .hex file of your firmware, you use Atmel's Flip to flash it to the keyboard.  You probably need WinAVR installed, for the drivers.

There is little chance of getting a bad microcontroller. These will be flashed with a default firmware at the fab, so we should know before they go out if the controller is faulty.

I have no plans to make a version with a modular controller. The benefits of having the controller on-board far outweigh any negatives.

Thanks!!

Show Image

Stunning. And I have those caps on the way!
Can't decide between black or silver. Would you by any chance have the final production black case?

The only final production black case I have is the low profile, squared corners version shown in the OP.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 February 2016, 23:56:09 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline typewriter

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 06:22:24 »
I think you might want to cancel that other keyboard now. :)

I can point you to a programming guide. I'll just have to find it, but I know there is at least one here on GH already.

Once you have generated the .hex file of your firmware, you use Atmel's Flip to flash it to the keyboard.  You probably need WinAVR installed, for the drivers.

There is little chance of getting a bad microcontroller. These will be flashed with a default firmware at the fab, so we should know before they go out if the controller is faulty.

I have no plans to make a version with a modular controller. The benefits of having the controller on-board far outweigh any negatives.

those photos are  :eek: and pushing me over the edge. getting close to cancelling. luckily two more days to make up my mind, and two more days of photos :-\
Going to be a down to the last minute decision, great thing cancelling in the last minute is easy in that other site.

I'm using an mac so I don't think I will be using winavr, though Im sure there is a mac alternative I can find.

With regards to the MCU. I'm still new to MCU, only familiar with a bit of arduino, but slowly trying to get into plain 8 bit AVR.
When I buy an 8bit Atmega fresh from the store, it is blank with no bootloader.
Is it right to assume that the microcontroller in your board is just like any AVR microcontroller? It has special firmware/software from you, no special bootloader, and I can just program it with something like AVRISP/ATMEL ICE if I wanted to?

Glad to know there is almost 0% chance of getting a bad microcontroller.

Thanks too for being responsive. It's influencing my decision too, as buying from nice and real person gives a satisfaction that you can't get from buying from a no-name no-face website.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 09:17:30 »
I'm using an mac so I don't think I will be using winavr, though Im sure there is a mac alternative I can find.

For the mac, I used this guide to install Cross Pack for AVR, and dfu-programmer.

The controller is flashed via ISP at the factory to install the default firmware and bootloader. :)

in memoriam

Offline typewriter

« Reply #119 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 14:00:28 »
thanks for the link. :thumb:

Patiently waiting, like others, for the next batch of photos. ;)

« Last Edit: Tue, 01 March 2016, 09:28:54 by typewriter »

Offline apathy3cs

• Glorious Leader
  • その目だれの目?
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 01:57:19 »
Been busy with work @.@ but back and jumped in. 

Now to remember to check my email tomorrow.

Offline knowsnokb

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 19:46:30 »
Does the JD45 allow Fn keys to activate when holding the key?
Do TMK, and Easy AVR allow this for the JD45?
For example

press and release enter key = enter
press and hold enter = Fn

press and release spacebar = spacebar
press and hold spacebar = Fn

press and release caps lock = caps lock on/off
press and hold caps lock = Fn

press and release any key =  default key
press and hold any key = Fn

Thansk
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 February 2016, 19:51:24 by knowsnokb »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 19:52:22 »
Does the JD45 allow Fn keys to activate when holding the key?
Do TMK, and Easy AVR allow this for the JD45?
For example

press and release enter key = enter
press and hold enter = Fn

press and release spacebar = spacebar
press and hold spacebar = Fn

press and release caps lock = caps lock on/off
press and hold caps lock = Fn

press and release any key =  default key
press and hold any key = Fn

Thansk

Yes.  These are called dual-use keys, or tap keys.

Offline knowsnokb

« Reply #123 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 20:52:05 »

Does this tap or double-use function also work when the additional function I want is not fn key or will not use a function key?

ex:
holding left alt = alt
pressing and release alt = [ key
holding left shift = shift
pressing left shift and release = ( key?

And can I separate shift-keys, I mean, can I program colon key into one key and program the semicolon key into another key without having to press shift?
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 February 2016, 20:54:24 by knowsnokb »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 20:58:22 »

Does this tap or double-use function also work when the additional function I want is not fn key or will not use a function key?

ex:
holding left alt = alt
pressing and release alt = [ key
holding left shift = shift
pressing left shift and release = ( key?

And can I separate shift-keys, I mean, can I program colon key into one key and program the semicolon key into another key without having to press shift?

It works with my code.  I don't know enough about TMK to speak for that.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 20:58:25 »

No, you can't do this. The firmware sends HID scan codes to the operating system. Semicolon and colon are bound to the same scan code by the HID spec, not by the firmware.

in memoriam

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 21:01:53 »

No, you can't do this. The firmware sends HID scan codes to the operating system. Semicolon and colon are bound to the same scan code by the HID spec, not by the firmware.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what he wants, but he could bind one key to semicolon and bind another key to shift+semicolon, right?

Offline knowsnokb

« Reply #127 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 21:08:14 »
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what he wants, but he could bind one key to semicolon and bind another key to shift+semicolon, right?

Your understanding is correct.
 The JD45 allows macros correct? such assigning !@#$%^&*() to qwertyuioop if I wanted to without the need of a shift key? or assigning colon and semicolon separately?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 21:12:10 »

Your understanding is correct.
 The JD45 allows macros correct? such assigning !@#$%^&*() to qwertyuioop if I wanted to without the need of a shift key? or assigning colon and semicolon separately?

If you want, you can just download my keymapper and play with it.  For shift+semi you don't even need a macro, you just select "with shift"

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #129 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 21:17:05 »

Ah, okay I didn't think about doing it that way. :)

in memoriam

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 08:08:48 »

in memoriam

Offline trotXid

« Reply #131 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 08:36:46 »
Show Image

Ugh.. cannot wait.  What type of USB connector is on this board?  I need to start looking at cables.

Offline typewriter

« Reply #132 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 09:58:41 »
The controller is flashed via ISP at the factory to install the default firmware and bootloader. :)
Does the atmega32u4 on your JD45s have any special bootloader installed aside from the Atmel USB DFU Bootloader that originally comes from Atmel out of the factory?
I know your boards come with a default layout programmed  in. Is it correct to say that by uploading in new Hex files outputted by TMK and EasyAVR, I will have completely overwritten whatever firmware/software you or Tex have added and the only code in the Atmega32u4 that will remain is the Atmel USB DFU bootloader and the new Hex files I/buyers have inputted? I'm really particular about what's put inside the chip and since your keyboard isn't open source, just wanted to ask your personally, just don't want weird/unknown/hostile code in my USB devices. Just the paranoia in me.

Also, Great photo, its looks make me disregard my preference for open source keyboards. My finger is already on the cancel button for that other keyboard.

By the way, are those abs or pbt on the Honey Round 5? Maybe you could have a GB for that set made especially for the standard layout of the JD45
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 March 2016, 10:11:10 by typewriter »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 10:12:00 »
Yes, the Atmel DFU bootloader is the only thing existing on the controller, besides the default or user generated firmware. And you can erase the firmware with your flashing utility of choice.

The Round 5 keycaps are SA profile, double shot thick ABS from Signature Plastics. The group buy was organized by 7bit at Deskthority.

What type of USB connector is on this board?  I need to start looking at cables.

It uses a USB Mini B connector, like many keyboards do. I considered using USB-C, but I wanted to keep a very robust connection with the cable.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 March 2016, 11:31:43 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline STARLORDCOFFEE

• @watch_spike
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 13:31:53 »
This is going to be a really stupid question so bare with me. How do I pay for this thing? I already got the conformation email. Anyone? Bare with me  :))

EDIT: I replied to the email before asking but for some reason the invoice went into my Spam... Got that sorted out :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 March 2016, 13:40:58 by STARLORDCOFFEE »

Model M              BL82          JD45          HHKB        RF

Offline olijuice

« Reply #135 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 21:56:51 »
This is a really beautiful keyboard. I am in, and payed. Question, I've seen a lot of the JD40 is it still possible to build one of those today or has that ship sailed a long time ago?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 22:03:45 »
This is a really beautiful keyboard. I am in, and payed. Question, I've seen a lot of the JD40 is it still possible to build one of those today or has that ship sailed a long time ago?
There are no JD40 available anywhere right now, but that will probably change at some point in the future. Not sure on the timeline, though.

in memoriam

Offline typewriter

« Reply #137 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 20:02:22 »
No, I don't have any plans  to open source the design.

Is the only difference between the JD45 and other marketed-as-open-source keybards the fact that the PCB and plate designs are not open source?

The software for the firmware like EasyAVR and TMK are open source, so is it correct to say that if the PCB and plate design and maybe the case designs were open sourced, the JD45 would be as open source as those other marketed-as-open-source keyboards?

Or am I missing a part of the puzzle?
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 March 2016, 21:09:57 by typewriter »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 20:51:01 »
ve any plans to open source the design.

Is the only difference between the JD45 and other marketed-as-open-source keybards the fact that the PCB and plate designs are not open source?

The software for the firmware like EasyAVR and TMK are open source, so is it correct to say that if the PCB and late design and maybe the case designs were open sourced, the JD45 would be as open source as those other marketed-as-open-source keyboards?

Or am I missing a part of the puzzle?

No, you're not missing anything. The only keyboards I know of that are claimed to be open sourced are the GH60 and Input Club's IC60 (Infinity), maybe the ErgoDox? Usually they run one buy first, before releasing the open hardware design files.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 March 2016, 20:54:40 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline typewriter

« Reply #139 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 21:25:59 »
No, you're not missing anything. The only keyboards I know of that are claimed to be open sourced are the GH60 and Input Club's IC60 (Infinity), maybe the ErgoDox? Usually they run one buy first, before releasing the open hardware design files.

Thanks!
I know you've already mentioned here that you have no plan to open source the designs. but it might be something nice to consider in the future.
I guess you just have to balance the marketing and potential customers that that open sourcing everything will bring, and the loss of earnings from people who will use the files to print their own boards and not buy or other manufacturers just producing it and selling it, but then again, other people/manufacturers could/maybe also manufacture something similar without the JD45 PCB design.

Or you could also possibly provide the PCB designs to buyers of your keyboard? Just a thought. Might be added incentive for some, though I'm not sure if it can be called open source if it is contingent on a purchase, but still an incentive some will welcome.

I'm not sure if you are bound to the PCB designers wishes or the manufacturer's contract, Im just spitting ideas out there, food for thought, just from my interest in the JD45.

Mind you, I don't need the incentive, as I'm already set on this keyboard. :p

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 21:37:43 »
Great job on everything, all around.
The website, pcb design, plate, housing and layout options.

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 04:08:00 »
Hello, JD. I am ready to pay your invoice, but for some reason your invoice is not there. Did you retract your invoice to me?
I like mechanical keyboards

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 07:01:59 »
Hello, JD. I am ready to pay your invoice, but for some reason your invoice is not there. Did you retract your invoice to me?
No, it still shows up in my paypal. Sent you a pm with the link.

Great job on everything, all around.
The website, pcb design, plate, housing and layout options.

Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 March 2016, 08:31:08 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 08:31:26 »

in memoriam

Offline HannahPeach

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 08:33:43 »
Show Image

You don't happen to have DSA Valentines or DSA Wyse around for some pictures?
Those are my go-to keysets! [:

edit: Have there been any side profile pictures that I missed?
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 March 2016, 08:41:04 by HannahPeach »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 09:35:39 »
I don't do DSA.  :(

in memoriam

Offline justin.wu

• * Commercial Vendor
  • Less is more
    • TEX
« Reply #146 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 21:02:08 »

HEY !!

Right now , JD45 X DSA Profile keycap

ZE9H0002 by bullock wu, 於 Flickr

ZE9H0004 by bullock wu, 於 Flickr

ZE9H0009 by bullock wu, 於 Flickr

ZE9H0010 by bullock wu, 於 Flickr

Thanks JD !!
make different

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #147 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 22:01:30 »

HEY !!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Thanks JD !!

Very sexy. Helps me visual the keyboard even more with different caps, although I'll be ordering the blocked-corner version.

PS: Your "Q" is wrong!

Offline HannahPeach

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 05:41:24 »

HEY !!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Thanks JD !!

Awesome, thanks so much for the pictures!!

Offline knowsnokb

« Reply #149 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 06:06:30 »

HEY !!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Thanks JD !!

I hate you!   :eek:
I was all set on getting a Planck but now this!
Best photo of the JD45 yet!! Probably best looking keyboard I've seen yet. Now I have to rethink everything from what layout I will type on, to going ortholinear.
Grrrrr.
But thanks. Really awesome. Awesome combination. Awesome photos!
Where did you get your 1.75 Blue Enter? My coming Granite set doesn't seem to come with that, and I checked the latest Granite drop and it doesn't seem to have blue 1.75 Enter
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 March 2016, 06:27:17 by knowsnokb »