Author Topic: [GB] JD45 KEYBOARD PRE-ORDERS [Closed]  (Read 144654 times)

Offline justinyhuang

Re: [GB] JD45 KEYBOARD PRE-ORDERS
« Reply #250 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 13:41:02 »
we all can be a bit patient...for those who in this GB that preorder the assembled keyboard: JD mentioned there will be a surprise! that will certainly worth the waiting, right? ;)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #251 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 14:03:54 »
Aww, people ordering from mechanicalkeyboards going to get it faster than the pre order folks?   :confused:

Yeah, it's disappointing that they went live with sales before I could get the group buy orders out, but not much I can do about that. I'm going to try and get these out as quickly as possible.

Please understand, though, that all my shipping funds are locked in my PayPal account, and I have no access to them. I also have no job at the moment, so no income. I will get these shipped, but it's going to take some creativity for me to do it.

That, to put it mildly, sucks.  Not you, in the least.  But Paypal.  How much is the total shipping that you have to foot?  And has paypal said how many you have to ship before they will unlock the funds?

UPDATE: And to reiterate, I don't look at any of this as being on you.  But getting that information, even not being in the drop, knowing that you have the money in Paypal, I'd be willing to contribute to getting things flowing.  And I'm sure that there are others here that would be willing to do the same.  Especially considering your personal situation, and it seems that Paypal has you at a loggerjam.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 July 2016, 14:11:46 by chuckdee »

Offline longcat

« Reply #252 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 14:13:47 »
I'm game for chipping in as well. Do you have another payment service? Any way we can help out?

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #253 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 15:12:40 »
On another note... MechanicalKeyboards is VERY fast.  Just got the shipment notification from FedEx, and I didn't pay anything extra for shipping.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #254 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 15:44:12 »
Aww, people ordering from mechanicalkeyboards going to get it faster than the pre order folks?   :confused:

Yeah, it's disappointing that they went live with sales before I could get the group buy orders out, but not much I can do about that. I'm going to try and get these out as quickly as possible.

Please understand, though, that all my shipping funds are locked in my PayPal account, and I have no access to them. I also have no job at the moment, so no income. I will get these shipped, but it's going to take some creativity for me to do it.

That, to put it mildly, sucks.  Not you, in the least.  But Paypal.  How much is the total shipping that you have to foot?  And has paypal said how many you have to ship before they will unlock the funds?

UPDATE: And to reiterate, I don't look at any of this as being on you.  But getting that information, even not being in the drop, knowing that you have the money in Paypal, I'd be willing to contribute to getting things flowing.  And I'm sure that there are others here that would be willing to do the same.  Especially considering your personal situation, and it seems that Paypal has you at a loggerjam.

They gave me a list of orders that they require proof of delivery for, and I got those shipped today. I'm hoping maybe they will unlock the funds soon.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #255 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 15:46:42 »
That's great!  If you need help, or they continue to act ****ish, there are people that will help... you don't need to shoulder this alone. ;)

Offline odd

« Reply #256 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 19:19:25 »
Seems like it. I have one coming from MKB.com and I should get it by Monday.

Wow, are you serious? That's super fast!

I've ordered twice from them before. The order got processed by noon when I submitted it in the morning. And I think I received the tracking info from the carrier within the same day.

Yeah I have been checking daily on their incoming page because I am trying to buy my GF a RGB poker and I didn't have a pre-order and my jaw hit the ground when i saw they were selling the JD45's, all versions. Since I didn't know the status of this GB I went ahead and picked up one so I ordered it basically when they were up for sale.

Offline mrboovn

« Reply #257 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 00:55:26 »
Just received mine today from mk.com Thanks jdcarpe for making this happened. :thumb:
OTD 356 mini- 360c-456GT-356CL DGE-DK Saver(ALPS Green) | Duck Eagle V1+V2-Viper V1+V2-Poker-Pad-Orion V2-Octagon V2-Lightsaver V2-Kingsaver | KMAC Happy(60%)-Happy HHKB |LZ GH -LZ MX Mini | 2x TGR-CE-2x TGR 910 | TX CP | Dolphin V2-GH Edition|EM7 GH|ENVKX|M5-92|E8-V1|Exent|Matrix Abel|VNMK MX-Mini | Cherry G80-5000HAMRB |Realforce 108UW Hi Pro-45g 55UW-HHKB
Octagon v2-LSV v2-KMAC 1.2-Blackbird

https://www.flickr.com/gp/97473780@N08/10mLE5

Offline cr0n1c

« Reply #258 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 10:06:51 »
(sigh) I'm not mad, I'm just sad that all my chances of getting a 40% board have all seen delays.

I'm still waiting on my assembled JD40 since Nov. 2014. Now PayPal is screwing over JD and delaying my JD45, all the while folks who weren't part of the initial GB are already getting boards from MK.com.

No biggie for me. I actually changed my mind and want a blocked case now. So I just ordered the kit from MK.com and I'm just going to sell the other kit once it comes in. Here's to hoping it doesn't get lost in the mail. Hah!

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #259 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 11:11:56 »
I've got a question about the kit.  The plate looks as if it supports a 2u backspace in the upper right hand corner, but the pcb only seems to support two 1u keys in that position. Can I get some explanation on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #260 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 11:45:32 »
I've got a question about the kit.  The plate looks as if it supports a 2u backspace in the upper right hand corner, but the pcb only seems to support two 1u keys in that position. Can I get some explanation on this?

Yes, you're correct. The intention was to make it an option, but it looks like the switch pin pads were never added. I completely missed that during the prototyping phase, and that's on me. It will be fixed in the next revision, but there isn't much we can do about the PCBs that have already been produced.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #261 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 11:58:06 »

Yes, you're correct. The intention was to make it an option, but it looks like the switch pin pads were never added. I completely missed that during the prototyping phase, and that's on me. It will be fixed in the next revision, but there isn't much we can do about the PCBs that have already been produced.
Fair enough, thanks for the quick response.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #262 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 11:59:34 »

I haven't soldered mine together yet, do you have any sort of eta for the new pcb? Maybe I should wait and just get the new pcb.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #263 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 12:08:53 »

I haven't soldered mine together yet, do you have any sort of eta for the new pcb? Maybe I should wait and just get the new pcb.

No, I don't have an estimate for when we will have a new revision made.

Officially, that switch option doesn't exist, but I was planning to include it. Future revisions will almost certainly include it, as I stated, but I never mentioned it in the OP because it wasn't officially supported.

If anyone really needs that switch option on your current PCB, the workaround is to drill two small holes where the switch pins would be located, and run jumper wires to the next switch pin pads on the PCB. The plate supports the option, and the stabilizer holes exist on the PCB already.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 July 2016, 12:13:59 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #264 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 14:50:18 »

No, I don't have an estimate for when we will have a new revision made.

Officially, that switch option doesn't exist, but I was planning to include it. Future revisions will almost certainly include it, as I stated, but I never mentioned it in the OP because it wasn't officially supported.

If anyone really needs that switch option on your current PCB, the workaround is to drill two small holes where the switch pins would be located, and run jumper wires to the next switch pin pads on the PCB. The plate supports the option, and the stabilizer holes exist on the PCB already.

I will give that a shot, thanks!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #265 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 22:29:59 »

You may have to clip the PCB support legs off the switch, or slightly enlarge the mounting holes in the PCB, also.

Finally, please heed this advice from Wilba:
Quote from: Wilba
They need to take care not to short the switch pins to the ground or 5V planes. Preferably solder wires to the switch pins before installing the switch into the plate - easier than soldering the wire to a switch pin inside a small hole while trying to avoid the solder joint touching the PCB.

in memoriam

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #266 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 22:46:30 »

You may have to clip the PCB support legs off the switch, or slightly enlarge the mounting holes in the PCB, also.

Finally, please heed this advice from Wilba:
Quote from: Wilba
They need to take care not to short the switch pins to the ground or 5V planes. Preferably solder wires to the switch pins before installing the switch into the plate - easier than soldering the wire to a switch pin inside a small hole while trying to avoid the solder joint touching the PCB.
I painted the inside of the drill hole with nail polish, but I'll do the wire soldering outside of the pcb as well

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #267 on: Sat, 16 July 2016, 01:07:22 »
My blocked JD45 with GMK skidata+

I had to mod the pcb to support the 2unit backspace, but got it working after some trial and error. I have jailhouse greens in this thing and love the way they feel.  JD, nice job on this kit, it is seriously top notch.  Perfect finish on the case, you truly did not overlook any details!

Offline sithlord

« Reply #268 on: Sat, 16 July 2016, 01:41:53 »
That looks very nice. :eek:

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #269 on: Sun, 17 July 2016, 07:35:31 »
My blocked JD45 with GMK skidata+

I had to mod the pcb to support the 2unit backspace, but got it working after some trial and error. I have jailhouse greens in this thing and love the way they feel.  JD, nice job on this kit, it is seriously top notch.  Perfect finish on the case, you truly did not overlook any d' etails!

Show Image

I love your JD45  setup, it's very N.Y. Mets-ish. I hope to pick up one this week. Thanks JDCarpe & Evangs for what you're doing for 40%boards!
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 July 2016, 09:33:59 by William_S_Jones »

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #270 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 11:07:03 »
Just got an email this morning from JD confirming shipping address.  I think the preorder folks are going to see their JD45 soon.  Real soon.  Can't wait.   :thumb:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #271 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 13:47:46 »
What I thought was a good development (providing proof of delivery for the list of orders they gave me) has turned into a temporary tragedy from PayPal. They now want proof of delivery for every transaction since January in my account before they will release the funds.

So, basically, this is me with my hand out, begging for some assistance. If there is anyway you can afford to send me a few bucks to help defray the cost of shipping all these orders out while PayPal holds my funds hostage, it would be greatly appreciated. I can accept Bitcoin, Amazon Payments, and Google Wallet. I would like to avoid PayPal at all costs (ha!), even though I do have a separate personal account.

Also, I started a GoFundMe campaign, if anyone wants to go that route. [link removed]
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 July 2016, 18:25:10 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline sithlord

« Reply #272 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 17:07:35 »
 :eek:

That sounds so counter-intuitive.

I've never had my Paypal account locked so I don't know how it works.

Are you able to use the funds to pay for shipping (use the print shipping label option from Paypal for USPS/UPS)?

Or is the account disabled completely for you?

You don't need to raise the full amount for GoFundMe, is that right?

I've contributed a bit to help out.

Best of luck getting this sorted out.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #273 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 17:27:12 »
What I thought was a good development (providing proof of delivery for the list of orders they gave me) has turned into a temporary tragedy from PayPal. They now want proof of delivery for every transaction since January in my account before they will release the funds.

I don't even understand their reasoning behind this. That sounds...dumb.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #274 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 18:24:45 »
I want to say a huge thank you to everyone who has donated to the cause. I appreciate the help more than I can ever express in words.

At this time, I'm going to ask that people stop donating. I am now able to ship the rest of the orders without delay.

Thank you so much!!!

in memoriam

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #275 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 22:04:51 »
That's great!  It's nice to see the community kick in!

I have a question about my JD45.

Sitting flat, there's an angle on the caps:

I was going to use the anodized aluminum feet from MD, but there's no space to mount on the bottom.

My solution is to gorilla glue the feet to the case.  I figured I'd ask first to see if this is A Bad Idea (TM) for some reason.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #276 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 22:12:54 »
That's great!  It's nice to see the community kick in!

I have a question about my JD45.

Sitting flat, there's an angle on the caps:

Show Image

I was going to use the anodized aluminum feet from MD, but there's no space to mount on the bottom.

Show Image

My solution is to gorilla glue the feet to the case.  I figured I'd ask first to see if this is A Bad Idea (TM) for some reason.

Use double sided tape so you can remove the feet if need be.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #277 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 22:14:52 »
^ I knew there was a reason I asked here first.  Makes total sense.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #278 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 22:19:43 »
^ I knew there was a reason I asked here first.  Makes total sense.

Haha yeah gotta go with something less permanent and easy to remove.

Offline fluxrez

« Reply #279 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 16:08:12 »
I have a few questions I don't see answered.

1. I see that resisters are already on the PCB, but is there a voltage range for LEDs?  Will any 3mm color and type work?
2. For the blocked version, do you break off the corners of the PCB yourself? and is that by hand?  Sounds scary. What about a Dremmel?
3. The example photos for the blocked version show the large spacebar. Can you use the split smaller spacebar method for the blocked version as well?  Any drawbacks?

What a great community here.  Love how helpful everyone is.  Thank you and Kudos.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #280 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 17:23:46 »

I have a few questions I don't see answered.

1. I see that resisters are already on the PCB, but is there a voltage range for LEDs?  Will any 3mm color and type work?
2. For the blocked version, do you break off the corners of the PCB yourself? and is that by hand?  Sounds scary. What about a Dremmel?
3. The example photos for the blocked version show the large spacebar. Can you use the split smaller spacebar method for the blocked version as well?  Any drawbacks?

What a great community here.  Love how helpful everyone is.  Thank you and Kudos.

1. Any 3mm LED should work fine. The resistor value was chosen to work well enough with LEDs in the 2-3V range.
2. You will need to cut the PCB, using a saw or dremel. It won't break off by hand.
3. You can use either the large (6.00/6.25) or small (1.25-1.75-1.75-1.25) spacebars with either version, blocked or squared.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

in memoriam

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #281 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 17:12:30 »
ALL JD45 KEYBOARD PRE-ORDERS HAVE SHIPPED!

I sent tracking info to everyone yesterday, and it should start to update now.

Thank you to everyone for your patience, and for your faith in me and this project. I couldn't have done this without your support.

in memoriam

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #282 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 17:18:42 »
ALL JD45 KEYBOARD PRE-ORDERS HAVE SHIPPED!

I sent tracking info to everyone yesterday, and it should start to update now.

Thank you to everyone for your patience, and for your faith in me and this project. I couldn't have done this without your support.
WOOOHOO!  good job JD  :thumb:

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #283 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 21:45:54 »
PSA - this board uses pcb mount stabilizers.... so if you opt to use a long spacebar, make sure you have pcb mount cherry stabs and that you put them in before soldering your switches... otherwise you will hate life

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #284 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 22:45:48 »
PSA - this board uses pcb mount stabilizers.... so if you opt to use a long spacebar, make sure you have pcb mount cherry stabs and that you put them in before soldering your switches... otherwise you will hate life
Haha yeah, sometimes you can just desolder the switches around the spacebar and try to work the stabilizers in there, but it's not easy. Forgetting to mount PCB stabs until you've already soldered the switches makes for a generally bad time.

in memoriam

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #285 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 22:53:42 »
Haha yeah, sometimes you can just desolder the switches around the spacebar and try to work the stabilizers in there, but it's not easy. Forgetting to mount PCB stabs until you've already soldered the switches makes for a generally bad time.

No kidding, I have an idea that I think will work, will post back after I try it and let ya'll know how it goes

Offline fluxrez

« Reply #286 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 13:30:50 »
The time is nigh!  I am noticing something...

The number of holes at the bottom of this PCB is a little overwhelming for a newb.  I am getting the blocked version and going with the two split 1.75 space bars (exactly like mrboovn's picture above). Any tips on choosing the right holes?

My plan is to put the switches (with keycaps for spacing) into the metal plate, then place that against the PCB to see which holes get plugged.  can't lose right?  Is that what everyone else is doing?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #287 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 13:38:23 »
The time is nigh!  I am noticing something...

The number of holes at the bottom of this PCB is a little overwhelming for a newb.  I am getting the blocked version and going with the two split 1.75 space bars (exactly like mrboovn's picture above). Any tips on choosing the right holes?

My plan is to put the switches (with keycaps for spacing) into the metal plate, then place that against the PCB to see which holes get plugged.  can't lose right?  Is that what everyone else is doing?

Yes, that's the way to go. If you have a universal plate, you might need to put keycaps on the bottom row switches, just to confirm they are being placed in the right switch holes. :)

in memoriam

Offline Tre3Cycl3S

« Reply #288 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 14:05:11 »
Really can't wait to finally get this!!! :D

Thank you jdcarpe for making sure this runs smoothly, despite the difficulties! Was about to chip in however much to help you ship these beauties out, but looks like most people here beat me to it!

Woohoo~~
QFR           HHKB Pro-2     JD45         VE.A                    XMIT 61-Key       JD40 Mk.II                    Realforce 87U     M65-A                 Custom:Annie      NightFox      Pearl                  E6-V2 R2                          Norbaforce
MX Blue     45g Topre        MX Blue     R5 67g Zealios     50g Hall Effect     Modded Gateron Red     55g Topre           R5 78g Zealios     62g Ergo Grey     Hako True     R9 62g Zilent     Lubed Holy Trash Panda     OG Sony BKE Domes

Offline fluxrez

« Reply #289 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 03:37:57 »
I would like JDCARPE to know, that 4 keyboards had to die for their "caps lock" keys...

don't worry, 3 of the 4 were from thrift stores  ;)

143167-0

(1.75 seems to be a rare breed)
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 July 2016, 03:57:55 by fluxrez »

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #290 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 08:07:35 »
I would like JDCARPE to know, that 4 keyboards had to die for their "caps lock" keys...

don't worry, 3 of the 4 were from thrift stores  ;)

(Attachment Link)

(1.75 seems to be a rare breed)
You can get blanks from SP.  That's what I'm doing for my 1.75s

Offline trotXid

« Reply #291 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 10:21:52 »
R2 PuLSE.  All Row 3 mods and short a 1.75  :mad:

Not quite 25 posts to post on the GH market either  :-\  Hopefully mech market pulls through.  Signature Plastics only has a stepped 1.75 in black.

Offline Gnrl Kitty

« Reply #292 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 14:04:17 »
Got my delivery today, it's excellent!  Only question is, how do i edit the firmware?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #293 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 14:38:46 »
Got my delivery today, it's excellent!  Only question is, how do i edit the firmware?

metalliqaz' Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper is probably the easiest. Just be sure to select JD45 (Carpe Keyboards) as the base.

in memoriam

Offline Gnrl Kitty

« Reply #294 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 15:24:06 »

metalliqaz' Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper is probably the easiest. Just be sure to select JD45 (Carpe Keyboards) as the base.

It says here "Put your keyboard into bootloader mode", how do I do that with the JD45?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #295 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 15:37:18 »

It says here "Put your keyboard into bootloader mode", how do I do that with the JD45?
It's the little button switch on the bottom of the PCB. There is a hole in the case to access it. Just press once while connected to USB.

You may need to install WinAVR first, before jumping into bootloader mode for the first time, if using Windows.

Also, you'll need Atmel Flip to flash the firmware to the chip. Controller type is ATmega32U4.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 July 2016, 15:38:56 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline Gnrl Kitty

« Reply #296 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 16:12:25 »

It's the little button switch on the bottom of the PCB. There is a hole in the case to access it. Just press once while connected to USB.

You may need to install WinAVR first, before jumping into bootloader mode for the first time, if using Windows.

Also, you'll need Atmel Flip to flash the firmware to the chip. Controller type is ATmega32U4.

I'm having some trouble it seems.  I installed WinAVR and when i press the button I assume it enters bootloader mode because the keyboard stops registering key presses.  But Atmel Flip tells me "Could not open USB device."  Any suggestions?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #297 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 16:23:17 »

I'm having some trouble it seems.  I installed WinAVR and when i press the button I assume it enters bootloader mode because the keyboard stops registering key presses.  But Atmel Flip tells me "Could not open USB device."  Any suggestions?
It's the driver. With the keyboard connected in bootloader mode, go to Device Manger and uninstall it. Then disconnect the keyboard. When you connect it again, and jump to bootloader, it should install the driver.

in memoriam

Offline Gnrl Kitty

« Reply #298 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 16:34:50 »

It's the driver. With the keyboard connected in bootloader mode, go to Device Manger and uninstall it. Then disconnect the keyboard. When you connect it again, and jump to bootloader, it should install the driver.
It isn't finding a driver when i plug it back in, do you know where I can get download the driver so I can install it manually?

Offline rempire

« Reply #299 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 16:57:11 »
anyone know where i can acquire the default firmware files? just in case i change my layout and I hate it