Author Topic: [GB] JD45 KEYBOARD PRE-ORDERS [Closed]  (Read 144667 times)

Offline toidbb

[GB] JD45 KEYBOARD PRE-ORDERS
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 00:35:17 »
@jdcarpe any possibility of buying just a case and adding to an order instead of another set of the complete item. I have already placed my initial order.

I also second the ability to add the black keycaps in the photo for DIY kits.. Pretty please.

Thanks

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
Re: [GB] JD45 KEYBOARD PRE-ORDERS
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 00:37:11 »
Personally, I think 179$ unassembled is a great price when it includes a milled case. Those aren't cheap. I have been waiting for a long time for this, and will have my orders but in soon.

Thanks.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 00:41:29 »
All right, definitely going with a blocked case. Will probably do Gateron Yellows, but if someone makes an Alps plate for that case I'll do that instead.

Now to decide on silver or black...

Offline toidbb

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 00:46:55 »

All right, definitely going with a blocked case. Will probably do Gateron Yellows, but if someone makes an Alps plate for that case I'll do that instead.

Now to decide on silver or black...

I wonder if it would be possible just to cut the outer keys from the alps plate to make it fit the blocked case. But of course you would loose the functionality that would be associated with those, since it does not have the variability on the bottom row like the mx plate.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 01:19:35 »
Beautiful.

Now to decide on full case with Alps or blocked case with MX.

Obviously you should get one of each

Really, wanted to get the blocked case, but the only linears I like are MX Black, and I have a board of those. I think I'll just go with the standard case so I can get Alps linears.

But what about Linear Zealios.

I dunno. Maybe. Maybe 67g Zealio Clears or Gateron Blacks/Yellows.
Which are heavier?

I don't know Gateron switch weights.  :(

Me neither. :(

Here......
Gaterons' Peak force:

Blacks - 50g Linear
Blues - 55g Clicky
Browns - 45g Tactile
Clears - 35g Linear
Greens - 80g Clicky
Reds - 45g Linear
Yellows - 50g Linear

Offline shem

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 01:25:43 »
Does the DIY option include keycaps?
No, it is supposed to be a 'barebones' type kit. I assume people will want to bring their own switches and keycaps.

I am thinking about offering a keycap group buy after the keyboard group buy ends.

Is the Hack'd by Geeks keyset Cherry MX -only or will there be an Alps option? Alps would be grand...

Would this be reasonable for a first DIY build? Are there detailed instructions somewhere?

HHKB2 pro, IBM Ultranav(travel & normal), AT102W, VT220, IBM model M Space Saver, IBM model F AT, Matias Mini Tactile Pro, JD45

Offline Liocer

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 02:07:40 »

No, it is supposed to be a 'barebones' type kit. I assume people will want to bring their own switches and keycaps.

I am thinking about offering a keycap group buy after the keyboard group buy ends.

Is the Hack'd by Geeks keyset Cherry MX -only or will there be an Alps option? Alps would be grand...

Would this be reasonable for a first DIY build? Are there detailed instructions somewhere?

So it's $180 for a pcb, alu case and a top plate?

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 07:30:26 »
I really want a Black HHKB one....

Decisions... decisions...

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 07:41:56 »
Any info on alternative layouts for bottom rows? Is there an option for non-split spacebar?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 07:56:34 »

It is MX only. AFAIK, SP doesn't currently offer SA profile with Alps mounts.

So it's $180 for a pcb, alu case and a top plate?

Yes, that is correct. Alu cases typically cost $100 per unit in volume, and $40 each for CNC milled anodized alu plate and fully assembled PCB seem reasonable, right? FYI, I paid $350 for my one-off prototype black alu case with blockers to be made, before I partnered with TEX.

Any info on alternative layouts for bottom rows? Is there an option for non-split spacebar?
Sure, check out this post for all layout options:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62641.msg1468124#msg1468124

You can use either a 6.00u or 6.25u spacebar, if you choose.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 February 2016, 08:39:27 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline knowsnokb

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 08:42:39 »
Can I program the JD45 on my mac?

Does the DIY JD-45 come with keycaps? It is not super clear to me if it does.

Also, does the JD45 have the same size layout as a standard keyboard? I mean, I know there are less keys, but are the sizes and space the same? I don't want to lose my muscle memory.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 February 2016, 09:27:03 by knowsnokb »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 09:04:07 »
Can I program the JD45 on my mac?

Does the DIY JD-45 come with keycaps? It is not super clear to me if it does.

Also, is the JD45 have the same size layout as a standard keyboard? I mean, I know there are less keys, but are the sizes and space the same? I don't want to lose my muscle memory.

Thank you.

Yes, I believe you can program the layout by compiling the TMK firmware on your Mac. Then flash the hex file to the keyboard using avrdude. I'm not exactly sure of the process, as I've never used a Mac to reprogram an ATmega.

The DIY kit does not come with keycaps. It is assumed that people will want to bring their own switches and keycaps.

The main portion of the alpha keys are the same as on a standard keyboard, with identical stagger. The only thing different are the modifier sizes.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline knowsnokb

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 09:36:31 »

Yes, I believe you can program the layout by compiling the TMK firmware on your Mac. Then flash the hex file to the keyboard using avrdude. I'm not exactly sure of the process, as I've never used a Mac to reprogram an ATmega.

The DIY kit does not come with keycaps. It is assumed that people will want to bring their own switches and keycaps.

The main portion of the alpha keys are the same as on a standard keyboard, with identical stagger. The only thing different are the modifier sizes.

Thanks for the reply JD. Will probably just use Easy AVR on the raspberry pi to program it before using it on my mac.

By the way, will Tex taiwan be doing the soldering for the assembled units?

And if I get the silver assembled case, will it come with white keycaps? or are all keycaps black?

Also, if I get the assembled units, will the soldered switches be easy to desolder using newbie electronics hobby desoldering skills? Just in case the switches wear out and i want to replace them.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 February 2016, 09:39:48 by knowsnokb »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 09:48:27 »
By the way, will Tex taiwan be doing the soldering for the assembled units?

And if I get the silver assembled case, will it come with white keycaps? or are all keycaps black?

Also, if I get the assembled units, will the soldered switches be easy to desolder using newbie electronics hobby desoldering skills? Just in case the switches wear out and i want to replace them.

Thanks

Yes, TEX is soldering the assembled units.

All keycaps are black with white legends, even with the silver case.

Desoldering the switches isn't as easy as soldering them in, but it's not that difficult, either. Get a good desoldering pump, such as a genuine Edsyn DS-017.

in memoriam

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 10:19:20 »

in memoriam

Offline lobehold

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 13:57:06 »
Are there any alps keycaps/keysets that's compatible with this layout?

Offline cr0n1c

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 18:19:40 »
Wow, this board looks ace. I'm in.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 18:20:14 »
Well.  You've moved beyond hype.  Well done.

And looks like I'll need to sell some more stuff to pay for this one.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 February 2016, 18:22:05 by vivalarevolución »
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 19:38:43 »
Well.  You've moved beyond hype.  Well done.

And looks like I'll need to sell some more stuff to pay for this one.

Right? Me too.

Not the Smith-Corona I bought off you,  of course.

Offline knowsnokb

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 21:36:00 »
What are the sizes of the keycaps on the assembled keyboard? Particularly, the non standard keys
Enter =
Spacebar =
Left Shift =
Right Shift =
Left Tab =
Fn =

or whatever other non-standard keys I can't see.

Also, do you have any plans of conducting another JD45 GB either through geekhack or massdrop? Or is this a once in life time thing? Did the JD40 group buy only happen once?
I'm thinking about the rarity and replaceablility/buyability (both opposite ends of the spectrum, both appealing in their own way).
If it's a once in a decade thing, it would definitely give the keyboard appeal.
But if I can get another one in the future brand new outside of buying it from others who have already bought, that also has a practical appeal to it, since typing in different sizes of keyboards takes too much unlearning.

Thank you for any insight.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 21:36:52 »
JD, why are you so amazing?

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 09:15:45 »
What is the difference between this and JD40? Additional 5 keys?
I like mechanical keyboards

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 09:30:00 »
+5%

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 09:38:40 »
The default layout doesn't match the render.  Are there really two backspaces on the default layer?

Anyway, those of you who don't feel like getting your hands dirty will be able to use my tool if desired:
128899-0
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 February 2016, 11:59:22 by metalliqaz »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 12:11:47 »
What are the sizes of the keycaps on the assembled keyboard? Particularly, the non standard keys
Enter =
Spacebar =
Left Shift =
Right Shift =
Left Tab =
Fn =

or whatever other non-standard keys I can't see.

Also, do you have any plans of conducting another JD45 GB either through geekhack or massdrop? Or is this a once in life time thing? Did the JD40 group buy only happen once?
I'm thinking about the rarity and replaceablility/buyability (both opposite ends of the spectrum, both appealing in their own way).
If it's a once in a decade thing, it would definitely give the keyboard appeal.
But if I can get another one in the future brand new outside of buying it from others who have already bought, that also has a practical appeal to it, since typing in different sizes of keyboards takes too much unlearning.

Thank you for any insight.

Key size reference now in 2nd post of this thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79797.msg2062638#msg2062638

As for future plans, well...how should I put this? I guess I can say that it all depends on the success of this initial buy. If this round goes well, there is sure to be another. Or perhaps online keyboard retailers will want to stock the JD45 in their stores? I suppose what I'm saying is, please help make this buy a success by placing an order now, or there may not be opportunities to purchase one in the future. :)

Thanks for your support!

JD, why are you so amazing?

Believe it or not, this is NOT a FAQ. :P

What is the difference between this and JD40? Additional 5 keys?

Yes, you get one additional column, which makes for a big difference in usability. The JD40 is an exercise in smallest keyboard POSSIBLE, while the JD45 is meant to be smallest keyboard PRACTICAL. Also, for users of non-qwerty layouts, such as Dvorak or Colemak, that additional column is not just nice to have, but necessary.

The default layout doesn't match the render.  Are there really two backspaces on the default layer?

Yes, I couldn't decide which location was better, so I included both. I hope to ship assembled boards with an extra blank 1.75u key, if they don't want the Bs legend on there.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 February 2016, 12:16:24 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 14:19:46 »
Ok thanks, another question, does this comes with spacebar stabs, if I want 6.25 spacebar?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 14:24:10 »
Ok thanks, another question, does this comes with spacebar stabs, if I want 6.25 spacebar?

It doesn't come with any stabs, actually. Some people won't need them, because they will use something close to the default layout, so I chose not to include them, in order to save from adding to the cost of the kit. You will want Cherry PCB mount stabs, if you choose to add them.

in memoriam

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 02:31:45 »
Would it be possible to assemble one of these with alps using the blocked corner case and the MX universal plate? I noticed alps DIY wasn't available with the blocked corner case so I thought I'd ask.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 05:28:10 »
Would it be possible to assemble one of these with alps using the blocked corner case and the MX universal plate? I noticed alps DIY wasn't available with the blocked corner case so I thought I'd ask.
Yes, that's entirely possible. The MX universal plate will support Alps switches also, due to the design of the switch holes. You just have to be a little careful during assembly with the alignment of the Alps switches in the open areas of the plate.

in memoriam

Offline gbrldz

• http://gbrldz.co
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 10:47:25 »
Does the PCB support RGB LEDs?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 10:50:24 »
Does the PCB support RGB LEDs?
No, sorry. That's actually in the FAQ. :)

in memoriam

Offline malcomkern

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 11:02:28 »
My order is in! Looking forward to a sturdy 40% board with a milled alu case.

Thanks JD Carpe

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 20:08:33 »
Glod Damn this looks so damn nice, but I've spent too much this past month and about to spend more, The only way i can justify buying this is if i sold some of my unused stuff, but im a hoarder! ****

Offline knowsnokb

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 00:25:12 »
Hi JD

Would be great, if possible, if you could post additional photos of the finished keyboard, may from additional angles. A video would even be more awesome.
Would really help some in making their decision.

Thanks.

Offline eeymiel

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 09:21:06 »
Any plans for a bluetooth (or other wireless) addon? Don't really see a use for it otherwise, but it looks cute :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 09:37:14 »
Any plans for a bluetooth (or other wireless) addon? Don't really see a use for it otherwise, but it looks cute :)
It should work well with either the Nulaxy or Handheld Scientific Bluetooth adapters. :)

Or you can add a BlueSmirf adapter by soldering it to the controller IC expansion pads on the PCB, if you're handy at DIY.

in memoriam

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 10:36:05 »
Hi JD

Would be great, if possible, if you could post additional photos of the finished keyboard, may from additional angles. A video would even be more awesome.
Would really help some in making their decision.

Thanks.

Hmmm, I'm not very good at making compelling product photos. But here is a shot from the coffee shop.

Video? What would I shoot video of, exactly? I'm new to this type of marketing.

in memoriam

Offline dgdosen

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 12:35:16 »
It should work well with either the Nulaxy or Handheld Scientific Bluetooth adapters. :)

Or you can add a BlueSmirf adapter by soldering it to the controller IC expansion pads on the PCB, if you're handy at DIY.

It's the room to add a bt controller and battery in the case that has me worried - is there much clearance underneath the board as it sits in the currently designed case? Is the block case deeper or more open to mods?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 13:06:24 »

It's the room to add a bt controller and battery in the case that has me worried - is there much clearance underneath the board as it sits in the currently designed case? Is the block case deeper or more open to mods?

Ah, doubtful. The PCB mounts are only about 3.5mm above the bottom of the inside of the case. And there are support rails, as you can see. A different case option would probably be required to install something under the PCB.

in memoriam

Offline knowsnokb

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 19:53:14 »

Hmmm, I'm not very good at making compelling product photos. But here is a shot from the coffee shop.

Show Image

Hehe. That photo is awesome, gives better view of the legends on the assembled units.
If your video recorder is not that good, even just photos from different angles just like what you posted could go a long way enticing people.

Regarding marketing, I'm no marketing expert myself except what works on me.
For example,  if you have other keycaps around, letting others see how different keycaps sets look on the keyboard through photos could let them imagine the possibilities. This is actually how I got interested in the JD40, through a rainbow keycapped JD40 I saw on youtube.
So if time permits, and if you own some keycap sets, showing them on the JD45 could catch their attention.
People love photos. The more the better I think.

Thanks again. Good luck!
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 February 2016, 20:39:28 by knowsnokb »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 20:15:43 »

Show Image

Hehe. That photo is awesome, gives better view of the legends on the assembled units.
If your video recorder is not that good, even just photos from different angles just like what you posted could go a long way enticing people.

Regarding marketing, I'm no marketing expert, myself except what works on me.
For example,  if you have other keycaps around, letting others see how different keycaps sets look on the keyboard through photos could let them imagine the possibilities. This is actually how I got interested in the JD40, through a rainbow keycapped JD40 I saw on youtube.
So if time permits, and if you own some keycap sets, showing them on the JD45 could catch their attention.
People love photos. The more the better I think.

Thanks again. Good luck!
Thanks, that is actually very helpful. I will put some different keyset on and get some photos. I actually plan to build up a kit with Alps in the next few days, so I'll try to show that one off, as well.

in memoriam

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 01:32:47 »
Hello, When is the deadline of this GB? You already invoiced me, but I can only pay around 14-15th of March, is that OK?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 01:42:47 »
Hello, When is the deadline of this GB? You already invoiced me, but I can only pay around 14-15th of March, is that OK?
The buy closes on 2016-03-19. As long as I have your payment by then, you are fine. I will send out reminders from time to time, but only to remind people so they don't forget to pay. Thanks for your order!

in memoriam

Offline shem

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 03:56:21 »
Would it be a working combination to order the DIY ALPS set + Matias clicky switches + Tai Hao double shot keyset for sale now in Massdrop (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/alps-keycaps)?
HHKB2 pro, IBM Ultranav(travel & normal), AT102W, VT220, IBM model M Space Saver, IBM model F AT, Matias Mini Tactile Pro, JD45

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 07:11:04 »
Would it be a working combination to order the DIY ALPS set + Matias clicky switches + Tai Hao double shot keyset for sale now in Massdrop (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/alps-keycaps)?
For sure the Matias switches will work with the DIY Alps kit. Most of the Tai Hao keycaps will work fine, as well. You're going to be short by 4 of the 1.75u caps, though. And you would have profile and legend mismatch for some of the other modifier keys.

I'm working toward a solution for Alps keycap compatibility, but it won't happen before this buy ends.

in memoriam

Offline dgdosen

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 11:44:46 »
Is this keyboard PCB design open sourced? I really like the layout but it would be nice to tweak it with a BLE chip and fixins to draw and save power to batteries...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 11:50:40 »
Is this keyboard PCB design open sourced? I really like the layout but it would be nice to tweak it with a BLE chip and fixins to draw and save power to batteries...

No, I don't have any plans to open source the design. If this buy is very successful, I may in the future add features such as BT, etc. But that all depends on the success of this initial buy.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 February 2016, 12:05:19 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 12:05:52 »
Thanks to everyone who has placed an order so far. Keep 'em coming!

in memoriam

Offline knowsnokb

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 21:28:48 »
Thanks, that is actually very helpful. I will put some different keyset on and get some photos. I actually plan to build up a kit with Alps in the next few days, so I'll try to show that one off, as well.

Can't wait to see the JD45 with different keycaps.  :thumb:
No pressure of course. Take your time as the GB deadline is still far, though of course, the more the photos and with different keycaps, the merrier, and the more informed your prospective buyers.
Another suggestion would be to add the photos in the front page. You also don't have to post everything all at once if you don't have a lot of time; I mean, you can release the photos of one set on one day, then the photos of another set the next day. This, I think this builds up momentum, and keeps the GB fresh. But of course, if you want to just give all out in one go, that would be awesome. Of course, take whatever I say with a packet of salt. ;D

By the way, out of curiosity. If someone puts this keyboard in Massdrop's polls and it gets popular enough that Massdrop contacts you, are you willing to work with them to turn this into a drop?
I imagine, though I'm not sure, that this will be popular in massdrop, hopefully enough to bring down prices, especially for those who want to buy multiple units.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 February 2016, 21:43:22 by knowsnokb »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 21:40:52 »

By the way, out of curiosity. If someone puts this keyboard in Massdrop's polls and it gets popular enough that Massdrop contacts you, are you willing to work with them to turn this into a drop?

I'm not opposed to working with Massdrop, if they become interested.

in memoriam