Author Topic: Beam Spring 104+SSK+122+62 Reproduction Project! Round 1 now shipping  (Read 241310 times)

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
Re: Beam Spring 104+SSK Reproduction Project! Shipping after the New Model F KB's
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 31 January 2023, 16:31:56 »
As a note, mechanical keyboard meetups are now happening again in NYC.  I have signed up for the next one in April.  I hope to bring a new Model F keyboard as well as a new beam spring keyboard.  This will be my first meetup since 2019!  Hoping to see some forum members there.

https://nyckeyboardmeetup.com/

Offline Ellipse

Re: Beam Spring 104+SSK Reproduction Project! Shipping after the New Model F KB's
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 08 February 2023, 18:19:30 »
The Round 1 boards should start going out later this month hopefully, while Round 2 still needs to be produced, assembled, and shipped which should happen over the coming months.  The PBT double shot key sets arrived and they look great, just like the photos posted earlier.  The all black keys with white legends also look great - I need to post a photo of this custom set.

As a reminder Round 1 and Round 2 boards are now open for all to order; you no longer need an invitation. 

So far we have more than $160,000 in new beam spring keyboard orders after less than two months - well beyond my expectations.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 09 February 2023, 20:42:57 »
Below are the additional beam spring renderings. These designs have been submitted to the factory. They will be making a prototype of each keyboard size before proceeding to production. Please see an earlier post for the B104 rendering.

The holes on the bottom of the case are for the solenoid driver PCB, solenoid, and P clip, as well as 4 holes for screw-in bumpers (adhesive bumpers can also be used).

Offline Havattack

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 10 February 2023, 19:53:22 »
That 60 is sweet. I will get.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 15 February 2023, 22:34:55 »
An update: I have ordered a mold for the beam spring washer. Instead of the glue on metal washer from the original design, the Round 2 boards will have a removable friction-fit plastic washer with a cross in the middle to match the cross of an MX key module (a reminder that this project uses MX style keycaps). This helps speed up and facilitate end-user repair time and initial assembly time. Now if the flipper falls out of place there is no more need to use the paper clip method - you can just remove the washer by hand and reattach the flyplate. The purpose of the washer is primarily to hold the spring and o-ring in place before keycaps are installed, so it did not need to be permanently attached with glue.

296546-0

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 20 February 2023, 15:41:53 »
The custom double shot PBT set with all black keycaps and white text came out nicely - this is the finalized production set (the prior set had additional sample keys not part of the set, as noted earlier):

This set is available separately in the shop for other MX keyboards as it is a standard Cherry MX compatible set.
296713-0

Offline Ellipse

The LED overlays were just approved for production, meaning the Round 1 beam spring boards can start going out now.  More details and photos here:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79141.msg3156076#msg3156076

Offline Ellipse

Today the Brand New Beam Spring keyboards started to ship!  Just two of the single digit serial Round 1 BSSK's went out today.  The LED overlay "main design" (like on a Model M) is expected to be completed next week, with the remaining designs to be completed next month.

Offline Ellipse

Important Keycap Removal note (not in the setup video), now that the beam spring Round 1 boards have started shipping:

I use a wire key puller with gentle rocking motion and have no issues removing the caps.  The keycaps cannot be pulled up fast in one motion.  If you are using a lot of strength to pull them straight up or twist them, then you will most certainly break the modules. One user reported that they broke a number of their modules this way.

Offline Kenshiro70

Important Keycap Removal note (not in the setup video):

Use a wire key puller with gentle rocking motion ...  The keycaps cannot be pulled up fast in one motion.

I think you're going to want to put a sheet with this warning in the package itself. Too many people are used to pulling a number of keys quickly when swapping keycap sets, so you're up against habits people have developed.

Offline Ellipse

Transparent relgendable keycaps update:  I have ordered these keys from the factory.  You can now order them on this add on page:  https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/beam-spring-extras/

I specified a set of 22 as the base set (10 keys on the left side + 12 keys in the top row).  The regular key sets do not include extra keys to cover a B122 keyboard so I recommend ordering the relegendable keys.  The keys are also available individually.

Please note the keycap bottom pieces are only available in black, not in the pictured tan color.

Each key can be programmed for whatever is allowed by QMK.  Currently there is just beam spring firmware for QMK to my knowledge, but firmware should hopefully be available for Via/Vial at some point.  On my IBM F122 I set some of the additional keys for media functions, Explorer, and Calculator, for example.

297769-0
297771-1
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 March 2023, 12:35:17 by Ellipse »

Offline Dra9on

Meaning us B122 folks should place a separate order for the re-legendable caps?

Heh, guess you'll need to re-combine another order of mine, then. :​)

Offline ItIsWritten

Each key can be programmed for whatever is allowed by QMK / Via / Vial.  On my IBM F122 I set some of the additional keys for media functions, Explorer, and Calculator, for example.

Does this mean VIA is supported as standard?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G986B met Tapatalk

Offline Ellipse

Currently there is just beam spring firmware for QMK to my knowledge, but firmware should hopefully be available for Via/Vial at some point.  I updated my post to fix this.

Offline Ellipse

Important note: the project's YouTube channel seems to have been erroneously deleted. I sent a message to YouTube support. Some previously posted video links may not be working. I have mirrored some of the videos here for the time being: https://www.youtube.com/@Brand_New_Model_F_Keyboards

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

And here I thought the reproduction model Fs were ambitious. I guess I have room in my place for one more modern interpretation of vintage switch tech. I've always wanted a beam spring, but the prices have just exploded over the past 8 years. I'm thinking the SSK format would be a nice companion to the F62.
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline Kenshiro70

Important note: the project's YouTube channel seems to have been erroneously deleted. I sent a message to YouTube support. Some previously posted video links may not be working. I have mirrored some of the videos here for the time being: https://www.youtube.com/@Brand_New_Model_F_Keyboards

Given what just happened to Linus Tech Tips recently, unless you know someone from your company accidentally deleted the account, it might be wise to get someone with some IT security experience to take a look and make sure nothing nefarious is going on. It would be far more preferable for someone to fess up to accidentally deleting it versus finding that someone has keylogger malware on their machine.

Offline Ellipse

Everyone please resubscribe to the updated YouTube channel for the project: 

https://www.youtube.com/@Brand_New_Model_F_Keyboards

To catch everyone up, here are the updated beam spring related links to each of the previously posted project videos.  The older links posted in this thread prior to this month may not be working.

Hak Foo yes there could be various mods for that spot on the keyboard - if anyone performs any mods please do share them in the project thread!

Brand New Beam Spring Keyboards Setup Guide
Brand New Beam Spring Keyboard Project - typing test original vs. new
Solenoid Installation Guide and Sound Test (Model F and Beam Spring Keyboards)
Brand New Beam Spring Module Sound Comparison Test original vs. new
Dead Simple Model F Firmware Customization and Setup Guide - QMK, Via / Vial - xwhatsit controllers

Offline Ellipse

Re: Beam Spring 104+SSK+12 Reproduction Project! Round 1 now shipping
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 10 April 2023, 13:49:37 »
I just updated the manual to help folks whose stabilizer inserts fell out of place during setup.  The mounts are inserted from the top and they must remain loose for the spacebar to function optimally.  You should be able to see them move as the space bar is pressed and released.  You should not be using any kind of tape to secure the clips in place, or it may make the space bar more difficult to press or it may make it get stuck.  Has anyone found the opposite to be true (securing the inserts so they cannot move improves the space bar operation)?  I wonder if that is correct for other MX sets.

I think I will remove the stabilizer slots from all but the spacebar for the Round 2 boards since they are not recommended outside the spacebar.  Has anyone found stabilizing the other keys to be useful on the new beam spring keyboards?

Wendell from Level1Techs made a nice video about the Beam Spring Project!

I have copied my YouTube comment below since there are quite a few comments:

Hello, project coordinator here.  Thanks Wendell for sharing this video!  I am glad that the Brand New Beam Spring Keyboard arrived safely to you.  Hopefully there was not too much work to set up the keyboard after it arrived.  Sometimes a few key modules were broken during transit, according to other reports.  I think you are the first to make the case for USB-B as the connector for the compact case style keyboards - it makes sense since these cables will probably be available for a while and they are still used today, though most folks seem to like USB-C for the convenience of rotating keyboards which also have USB-C, without having to switch the cable, despite the increased risk of a broken connector because the beam spring USB-C connector is not recessed enough.  For the Round 2 Beam Spring keyboards I went with the fully recessed design where you have to open up the keyboard to change out the USB-C cable and there is a metal P clip for strain relief, just like with the F62/F77 keyboards.  For all future classic case style designs of the F and beam spring keyboards it will have the latter "internal USB connection" style.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #119 on: Mon, 10 April 2023, 19:23:34 »
For those who received their Round 1 board, how was your beam spring setup experience?  I have not received too much feedback so far since they just started going out a few weeks ago. 

How many modules broke in shipping and needed replacement?  How much time did it take to set it up?  Any other challenges or issues encountered during setup or after you used the board for a number of hours/days?  Any issues with the spacebar (the trickiest of keys when combining beam spring with Cherry MX style stabilization).

I am posting (with permission) some feedback I received today on the Round 1 beam spring keyboard:

"All of the keys were registering properly on arrival, and all the keys but one felt fine, which I did replace. I don't know for sure if it could have been fixed, it probably could have, but it was just easier to replace the module altogether. I press the spacebar with my left thumb, not my right, so by moving the spring on the left side of the center stem it felt a lot more responsive. The spacebar wire did pop out of the right side stabilizer when I was removing the spacebar, I had to disassemble the keyboard to put it back into place, since the stabilizers don't snap onto the plate. Otherwise the spacebar feels fine. No other issues, really, troubleshooting all this stuff took 30 mins. Based on my first impressions of people that I've talked to that own the keyboard, most seem very happy with how the project turned out."

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 19 April 2023, 15:16:33 »
So far 83 new beam spring keyboards have shipped, and 5 more will be completed today, bringing the total to 88. 

So far I have been installing and optimizing the space bar for each person who ordered a key set.  Almost all boards were configured with a key set.  Here are my current notes on space bar optimization:

Many of these steps should be unnecessary with the improved Round 2 boards.

Methods to fix/improve beam space bar actuation:
1.   Change number of visible rings of the support spring from 5 to 6.  A slight increase may be required to make the spacebar actuate reliably. 
2.   First test the space bar just barely attached to the beam module, but detached from the stabilizer.  Press the space bar in the middle, above the beam module.  It should easily return to its original position and you should hear the click each time without fail, even if you press it many times in a row.  If it does not, need to inspect part B and adjust the bend of the ears (increase or decrease it, and make sure they are symmetrical) and the distance between metal and the beam flipper (increase this distance so the metal part is flat).
3.   Replace white part (part B).
4.   Adjust metal part for beam flipper ears and the distance from the metal part to the plastic flipper edges
5.   Trim area holding the plastic MX stabilizer insert in place, so that the plastic part can lift up freely with the lightest of finger pressure/movement (the side opposite the stabilizer wire).  This is mostly needed for the first delivery (the one where I have to replace the springs). 
6.   Untested:  Bend the stabilizer wire away from the module, or trim more away from the module in the area where it may be contacting the wire if it has not been trimmed sufficiently so that the wire is not contacting the module.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 April 2023, 15:40:20 by Ellipse »

Offline Kenshiro70

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 20 April 2023, 15:35:59 »
For those who received their Round 1 board, how was your beam spring setup experience?

Got mine today, and the following is written using it.

Unboxing
  • Love the box. Would love a deskmat with the beam and buckling spring designs.
  • The coolest part of the packaging by far is the packing list. I won't spoil the surprise other than to say "No one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."

Testing and assembly
  • Watched the video FIRST. Lesson learned from my Model F assembly odyssey.
  • No major damage during shipping - no washer dropoff, non-clicking keys, etc.
  • Some variation on weight and sound. Did the "wiggle fix" on the W key as it worked but felt a good deal tighter than the surrounding keys.

Key test (connected, using Switch Hitter)
  • D stuck once, the first time, but after hitting it again it unstuck and did not restick
  • It's best to put the keycaps on from top to bottom so that you can easily see the keycaps line up and know they are fully inserted
  • A couple of keys are slightly off-kilter by about 5 degrees clockwise. I'll probably go back and address, which might require opening the case.  Not a dealbreaker right now.

First impressions
  • The feel is PHENOMENAL
  • The sound is actually quite pleasing too
  • Love the spherical keys. May try out an MT3 keycap set as well.
  • The space bar (pre-installed) is a little heavy but I'm going to try it out for a couple of days before tuning it.

So far the keyboard has potential.  The infinity war for the perfect keyboard might be over; I may have reached the end game. If only there were a 68-key version...

And yes, I'll be ordering a Round 2 version also. After all, you know what they say about guys with big keyboards.  That's right: "They're compensating for something."  ;D
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 April 2023, 19:05:17 by Kenshiro70 »

Offline Kenshiro70

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 20 April 2023, 18:43:53 »
For those who received their Round 1 board, how was your beam spring setup experience?

One more point worth putting into its own post:

Keycap removal is much easier if you use a pair of angled tweezers or a spudger to gently depress and hold down the washer while using a keycap removal tool to pull the cap.

Ellipse, I'm hoping that's a safer approach.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 April 2023, 19:08:34 by Kenshiro70 »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #123 on: Mon, 24 April 2023, 16:53:47 »
Thanks for the feedback Kenshiro70.  I have also shared it on the Deskthority project thread.  I have not found the need to use a spudger with keycap removal; instead I prefer a very gentle rocking motion with a wire key cap puller.

Deskthority and reddit contributor HV_Medic has posted a thorough review of the Round 1 beam spring keyboard.  My reply to the feedback is copied below.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/12vp1ys/another_new_beam_spring_keyboard_possible_end/

My comments:
Thanks HV_Medic for your well-informed and thorough review. Project coordinator here. Kindly see my replies below:

"Replacing this key [spacebar] is kind of obnoxious because you have to trim a module to accommodate the stabilizer."
I recommend just replacing the white part (beam barrel part B) so you don't have to use a dremel to trim one of the spare modules. I have used various tools to separate the washer from the module including pliers and a hammer (supported by pliers underneath the washer so as not to break the module). The Round 2 modules, recently produced Round 1 modules with updated tooling, and virtually all Round 1 boards shipped from this week onwards use an improved, friction fit washer so no glue or paper clips are required to take apart or reseat a module.

"The beam spring modules are very loud"--> this is correct. The round 2 boards have an improved design to add more foam and a new inner assembly instead of the case acting as the top and bottom plates. In my testing the Round 2 boards are slightly quieter and have less ringing due to the sound absorption.

"The alignment of many of the keys is not perfect, there are noticeable gaps between some of the keys, and some keys are rotated compared to others, it is not a big deal, but aesthetically the keyboard is not perfect." This is correct. I see this with the original IBM beam spring modules too. The problem is a bit more noticeable with the repros in my opinion because of adapting the MX keycaps to the old beam spring design. The gaps between keys are a bit larger due to the width of the beam spring modules compared to the smaller footprint of MX switch modules, so gaps are more visible. I have also noticed rotation on keys for both Model F keyboards and beam spring keyboards because everything has looser tolerances. When the tolerances of the two beam spring plastic parts are too tight, the module is more likely to get stuck (this is another improvement for Round 2 and for the first aid kit modules of Round 1 that were shipped starting in the past week or so - the module tolerances have improved so they are not too tight). A very slight twisting of the keycaps in the opposite rotational direction may make the rotation less obvious, though this would need to be done at your own risk as it could snap the part B.

Regarding stabilizers, I found the stabilizers to negatively affect the performance of the non-spacebar keys so I recommended no stabilizers be installed or used. Some folks do prefer stabilized keys; Deskthority contributor darkcruix has suggested a mod that involves using costar style stabilizers for the other keys requiring stabilization and this seems like a good idea that may be preferable to many folks. The challenge is that the stabilizers are about 1mm lower than they should be for the Round 1 design because of the height of the MX plate being lower than the height of the beam spring plate. The round 2 design adds padding below the modules and above the inner assembly, in effect raising the plane of the plate mounted MX stabilizers, so installing the stabilizers may be less tricky with Round 2.

Regarding USB-C, some common feedback I received was to have the ability for folks to rotate usage among various mechanical keyboards in their collection quickly, by being able to use the same USB-C cable for multiple boards instead of dealing with various cables. I do agree with the suggestion of USB-B though and think it is a sturdy connection that would be good for keyboards since folks can trip over the cord. I will note also that the Round 2 boards, like all the classic style Model F keyboards, have USB cables internally stabilized by a metal P clip for strain relief. The compact style boards of both Model F and beam spring keyboards do not have such strain relief.

Regarding lock light wiring, the Round 2 boards of both the Model F and beam springs have the LEDs powered through traces on the same capacitive PCB, instead of separate wires. In the initial design, the worry was about the LED power signal interfering with the capacitive sensing so the wires were made separate, but this turned out to not be an issue during the Round 2 prototyping with traces.

Regarding modules being relatively fragile compared to Model F components, this is correct for the most part, though I have found F springs quite easy to damage by mistake while cleaning or adjusting them. The original beam spring modules were also relatively fragile. When I ordered two original IBM beam spring keyboards many years back, a number of the modules were damaged and I had to purchase spares from orihalcon to replace the damaged ones.

Glad you like the keycaps. It took over a year of searching to find this manufacturer. Many of the dozens of factories making components for the new Model F and Beam Spring projects do not advertise their products, not even on sites like Alibaba, so it is a matter of doing a lot of research and working with existing suppliers to find these additional potential suppliers. More details on the Model F reproduction journey can be found in the Google NYC Tech Talk embedded in the blog on the project web site. Due to the high MOQ of 1000 sets I won't be offering any additional color schemes besides the two already offered.

Regarding repairing the broken modules, I recommend saving all of the parts except for the broken part B because they can be reused. In my experience most of the Round 1 QC failures are due to improperly assembled part B (white parts) and replacing the part B (with its thin rectangular metal part built in) almost always fixes any issue with the module. For now to keep things simple I only sell completed, tested modules but I have ordered thousands of part B extras in anticipation of these parts breaking in shipping. So far I have shipped nearly 100 beam spring keyboards over the past 5 weeks and I don't think more than a few boards have needed replacement module parts mailed due to more than 4 failing beyond repair. 4 modules were included with each keyboard as part of a free mini first aid kit with the anticipation that up to 4 modules would arrive damaged, either due to assembly/quality control errors from the factory or due to damage sustained in shipping.

HV_Medic please do keep everyone posted on the forums with the results of any mods and experiments you do. I'd imagine the broken part B's can be repaired with super glue but it's probably better in the long run to just replace the part B's.

Offline Ellipse

Re: Beam Spring 104+SSK+122+62 Reproduction Project! Round 1 now shipping
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 05 May 2023, 00:02:06 »
The factory and I continue to prepare for the updated Round 2 production. 

The cases were just approved for production; the next step is to make the custom case tooling for mass production of the curves of the case, etc. 
    I am also reviewing sample parts from the new molds for the two plastic parts A and B.  These molds have been difficult to get right. 
    The factory has fine tuned the metal part for the beam flipper, to make the radii more rounded like the originals; we have noticed a slight improvement in the snappiness and sound quality with this improvement.
    We are still looking at later this year for delivery.

As I continue doing experimentation, some interesting points:

It seems like adjusting the springs and using springs that are about 1-2mm taller increases the press force about 10-15 grams, so I may offer springs with various free lengths as an aftermarket modification option.

There was some discussion last year about getting the right "exotic" material for the very thin metal part for beam barrel.  Thanks to the material analysis posted by the interesting Silo beam switch project that is no longer underway (its goal was to offer significantly miniaturized MX-style switch modules with characteristics matching the beam spring switches), I have been able to find the material, which may have been updated slightly in modern times regarding the presence or absence of some of the trace elements. 

It seems like IBM may have used the relatively new S45500 for the original material - aka "Custom 455," trademarked in 1969 and first introduced to commerce in February 1965, right around the time that IBM started development work on the beam spring keyboard.  The material is still considered exotic today and not easy to find.  Details of the material history:  https://trademarks.justia.com/723/26/custom-455-72326498.html

This will hopefully be another improvement for the Round 2 keyboards.  "It possesses a yield strength which is nearly 3 times the strength of grade 304 stainless steel" according to https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=6853 so the Round 2 boards may have a longer potential MTBF, although this is likely to be a distinction without a difference given the metallurgical improvements over the past 50 years far outweighing the imperfections of the available materials IBM had to work with in 1970:  maybe the MTBF is sufficiently high for both boards that it would not be the first point of failure, but we'll have to wait years I guess to see the real-world usage.  Round 1 boards used a premium variation of the standard SUS 304 stainless steel (there are too many variations of how this material is prepared and cooled after heating so it could be considered many materials under an SUS 304 umbrella).

Chemistry Typical per datasheet, reordered to sync with the Silo presentation below https://d2ykdomew87jzd.cloudfront.net/data-sheets/Custom-455-Stainless-Steel-Wire-UNS-S45500.pdf
Manganese: 0.50 max
Silicon: 0.50 max
Phosphorus: 0.040 max
Chromium: 11.00-12.50
Nickel: 7.50-9.50
Molybdenum: 0.50 max
Copper: 1.50-2.50
Titanium: 0.080-1.40
Columbium + Tantalum: 0.10-0.50
Carbon: 0.05 max
Sulfur: 0.030 max
Iron: Balance

Beam switch metallurgical analysis as published by the Silo team:

Offline Damage

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 05 May 2023, 20:49:50 »
Interesting info! Thanks.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 02 June 2023, 23:00:44 »
As an update, the boards are still expected to go out later this year.  The new beam spring mold has been approved and today the factory was approved to make a few thousand production parts before they make all several hundred thousand parts, just to make sure everything is good.

Offline BlissOnTap

« Reply #127 on: Sat, 03 June 2023, 14:58:22 »
Looks like IGN is using the TKL version in product shots in their reviews? https://www.ign.com/articles/redmagic-4k-gaming-monitor-review

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #128 on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 23:53:42 »
Blog update posted:

Please see today's blog update post for a summary of the various goings-on with the project in recent months:
https://modelfkeyboards.com/blog

BlissOnTap thanks for sharing that link.  I believe the reviewer of that is one and the same with the reviewer of the new Model F keyboard but it is nice to see it getting some usage in the reviewer's keyboard rotation.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #129 on: Tue, 25 July 2023, 12:52:34 »
Project update:

After the sample order was assembled and tested, the updated beam barrels (part A and B) for Round 2 were approved for full production and I placed the order this week.  These took a while to get right but I am glad everything is good now.

Hopefully the S45500 material sheets arrive in the coming weeks, when the A and B parts are completed, so that the tens of thousands of beam spring modules can start to be assembled. 

I have also ordered the capacitive PCBs for all 8 beam spring variants and the F122, as well as the Leyden Jar version 3 controller for testing. 

The 8 beam spring variants:  B62 Split Shift and Regular Backspace, B62 Split Shift and Split Backspace, BSSK ANSI, BSSK ISO, B104 ANSI, B104 ISO, B122 ANSI, B122 ISO

The factory is also preparing the tooling to bend the aluminum cases.  Then they will produce a full working sample keyboard of each design for verification, and then the case and inner assembly plates production can start.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 02 August 2023, 19:38:03 »
The S45500 thin material for the beam spring modules has shipped to the stamping factory.  This "small" amount of material is enough to supply several hundred thousand modules.  Finding the material was not too difficult but finding a supplier willing and able to produce such a "small" quantity of the material (i.e. less than one metric ton!) was challenging. 

The material is a super-thin sheet that is supplied on a roll.  Each sheet is a fraction of a mm in thickness.
301188-0
301190-1
301192-2

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #131 on: Mon, 14 August 2023, 01:11:07 »
Beam metal update: 

The factory has performed significant testing in recent weeks on the S45500 material and has unexpectedly found that the SS 304 material used for the Round 1 modules appears to outperform it so far, so we may stay with the tried and true 304.  My guess is that the 304 formulations have improved so much since the 1960s when IBM was developing the beam spring that the exotic S45500 material is no longer required for optimal longevity of the modules.  Or maybe IBM had an unusual finishing process required for this material that is now lost to time. 

As a reminder, the need to replace a small percentage of the original Round 1 modules was not due to the material itself but due to incorrect assembly techniques for some of the modules that causes them not to work well (some were bent a little too much so as to permanently crease them; this is why extras were included).  The factory has corrected the assembly issue starting with the updated beam modules that are part of the deluxe first aid kits that have been going out in recent months (the ones with the press-fit tops instead of the glued tops).

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 21 August 2023, 11:35:46 »
As an update I have just ordered the metal Beam Spring and Model F badges.  They can now be ordered from

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/beam-spring-extras/

There are 2 options - the Model F style and the Beam Spring style (rendering for the beam style is shown below; the F style is shown on the Model F project thread).  If you would like for me to order additional styles, you will have to cover the tooling charges and commit to ordering 15 badges at a minimum.  The MFL logo was not ordered due to lack of interest. The beam spring one has the bottom edge cropped not touching the edge on purpose, since the image would be far smaller if the entire beam spring drawing was visible on the badge.

Badges and LED overlays are the same size as the IBM originals and can fit most Model M or Model F keyboards, with exception for the IBM XT and AT boards that use a larger badge.  These badges are 2cm x 2 cm.  The F122 is the only new production board that has a recessed spot for the badge but you can stick the badges anywhere on any of the Brand New Model F or Brand New Beam Spring keyboard cases.

The factory also has the capability to make the black badges with the raised silver printing as well as the large AT/XT style, so let me know if you want to cover the tooling and order minimums to make any of those styles.  I am working with the same factory that produced the badges listed in the below eBay link (not my link). Unfortunately I can't make anything copyrighted/trademarked. 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124836963936

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #133 on: Sun, 17 September 2023, 11:26:31 »
Project update:
These keyboards should be completed and going out later this year around year end or early next year.  As I always say, we are at the mercy of the factories as always for such low volume production. 

The modules are still in production, expected to finish around month end, and then they need to be assembled.  The press-fit design is going to be saving a lot of assembly time compared to the older glued on washer design.

The factory is still working on the tooling for the cases and inner assembly, and then they need to produce a working sample of each variation for my review and approval before production on the cases and inner assembly can start, and then these need to be assembled and sent out on the container ship.  The factory already completed a prototype of the new case and inner assembly design earlier this year and it has no issues, but to be safe I want to confirm that the new tooling makes things right for all the parts.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #134 on: Fri, 13 October 2023, 19:51:49 »
The latest blog update has just been posted on the project web site:

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/blog/

One small snippet from the update:
Here is a photo showing the assembly process of the second Round 2 B104 sample. The inner assembly is attached upside down to the bottom case so that it does not slip out of place. One can see that the flipper factory improved the color of the flippers – they are more of a deep black color compared to the dark gray color of the originals. There is no functional difference and no one can see this inside of the keyboard, but the black color is closer to the IBM originals.
303108-0

Beam spring production process

After the sample order was assembled and tested back around the end of July, the updated beam barrels (part A and B) for Round 2 were approved for full production and I placed the order. These took a while to get right but I am glad everything is good now. Production is just about done: the modules are still in production, expected to finish around month end, and then they need to be assembled. The press-fit design is going to be saving a lot of assembly time compared to the older glued on washer design.

I also ordered the capacitive PCBs for all 8 beam spring variants and the F122, as well as the Leyden Jar version 3 controller for testing.

The 8 beam spring variants: B62 Split Shift and Regular Backspace, B62 Split Shift and Split Backspace, BSSK ANSI, BSSK ISO, B104 ANSI, B104 ISO, B122 ANSI, B122 ISO

The factory is also preparing the tooling to bend the aluminum cases. Then they will produce a full working sample keyboard of each design for verification, and then the case and inner assembly plates production can start. Then these need to be assembled and sent out on the container ship. The factory already completed a prototype of the new case and inner assembly design earlier this year and it has no issues, but to be safe I want to confirm that the new tooling makes things right for all the parts.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #135 on: Sun, 26 November 2023, 11:37:41 »
Update 1:
The factory has needed extra time to perfect the tooling for the cases and expects to finish up with the samples of each keyboard model by the end of next month.  Here is an interesting video showing how the factory makes the curve on each beam spring case.  The video shows them testing the curve on some test metal instead of what would be the final case.

Update 2:
New BSSK layout with split backspace and right shift

Thanks to Fond Lion, there is a new layout option available for Round 2.  Previously only the B62 offered a split right shift with the option of a split backspace.  This option is only for the BSSK - please contact me to arrange paying for the additional tooling costs for the F104 for example.

You can upgrade an existing order or order a new keyboard with this layout.

Just like with the other custom tooling project (cut out full 5x3 right side block), the tooling was paid for in advance and folks will pay the person directly to take part in it.  This modification is ANSI only, ISO is not available with this mod.

To upgrade, please order the BSSK with ANSI layout on the project web site (or reference a previous BSSK order if applicable) and then PM Fond Lion directly to arrange payment to Fond Lion.  After payment is completed and I am notified by Fond Lion, I will upgrade your order.  The price for the upgrade is $200 (or $100 for people who can't afford it otherwise).  If you are not a Deskthority member feel free to email me and I will pass along your information to Fond Lion over email.

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/beam-spring-keyboard/
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 11:50:46 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #136 on: Fri, 08 December 2023, 21:26:34 »
Here are some photos of the uncoated aluminum beam case prototypes from the new tooling.  They are made from a flat piece of aluminum cut and folded/bent into shape.  More details are in my previous post above.
304808-0
304810-1
304812-2
304814-3
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 December 2023, 21:30:29 by Ellipse »

Offline esplin2966

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 23 January 2024, 01:55:23 »
Is there a reason all the prices on the website are dropped like 40% right now?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 23 January 2024, 11:58:18 »
Yes, as noted in a recent blog post:

Major price discounts to close out the older projects which are now end of production

All F62 and F77 models, plus the compact 104 and compact SSK keyboards, are now end of production and the remaining units are being sold off at a significant discount, while supplies last. Currently all variations are still in stock. Click the Shop button at the top of the page for details and pricing.

Pricing on some of the newer models has also changed so please do check out the latest updated product pages to see which models you would like. Some keyboards that you were looking at before may be more affordable now.

I strongly recommend ordering things now while the current pricing stands and current stock remains, whether to pick up an additional / backup keyboard while you can still buy one new, joining the project for the first time if financial limitations due to the higher pricing were holding you back before, or to pick up an additional keyboard, first aid kit for future repairs/maintenance, a spare key set to use when your current one’s top textured surface wears down over time with usage, spare custom made USB cable, transparent relegendable keys, etc.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #139 on: Sat, 27 January 2024, 00:16:37 »
Project update:

The Round 2 boards still need to finish production and assembly, so I hope that they can arrive to me later this year, around mid-year.  As mentioned before this was a delay from the original hope that they be completed earlier.  Like with the Brand New Model F Keyboards project, no one project aspect has caused the delay but a number of aspects have taken longer than expected.  The factory has their new year break for the next few weeks so things will continue after then.

If anyone prefers not to wait and wants to switch to a Round 1 beam spring board please let me know as I still have some units remaining.

Beam modules parts A and B:
Recently completed.  These took over one year to produce the molds and approved parts, much longer than expected.  Over a hundred thousand parts of each type were produced.

Beam module part B's assembly with its metal part has been improved for a nicer looking rounded assembly finish on the nub that is below the metal part.  The factory has made thousands of these as part of the updated beam modules (all the ones with the press fit washers on top) and they are nice.

Metal parts for the modules:
The new modules using the older metal part for beam flipper sound great and are very close to the IBM originals.  The tooling for the metal part for the beam flipper was updated last year but the updated tooling designed to get things even closer needs some work to get the modules as good sounding as possible.   

The updated press fit washer mold for the beam modules:
Has been completed and approved, and I believe the factory has finished production of these parts if I remember correctly.  This is an update over the original glued metal washer design; it allows for quick and toolless disassembly and repair of the beam modules.

Cases:
All but the beige and industrial gray case colors were approved (I want the colors to be even more accurate to the IBM originals so I rejected those two samples).  The paint texture finish is not yet finalized.

Capacitive and controller PCBs:
wcass and Rico have finished the PCBs for the various beam spring models and I will be ordering samples in the next couple weeks.  Rico's Leyden Jar Rev 3 controller is so far working flawlessly in my testing and these will be the default controllers for the B104 and B122, though the controllers will hopefully have firmware for all the various Model F and Beam Spring models.  As mentioned before, after the ATMEGA32's run out I expect everything to have the Leyden Jar as the factory-installed controller.

Keys:
The PBT double shot keys and wcass xwhatsit controllers were completed last year.

Boxes:
The box designs have been finalized.  The art will be just about the same as the Round 1 boxes shown on the project web site, but the boxes themselves will switch to a tab locking foldable design similar to the boxes IBM used for the original IBM Model F XT and AT keyboards.  I have approved the box designs for production.

The outside protective foam:
Will be similar to the end cap style used on the final production round classic F77 Model F keyboards; after the keyboard samples are approved then they can make the cutting tool for this foam.

Inner foam:
The inner foam that goes between the tops of the modules and the top inner assembly will be evaluated with the forthcoming samples.

Working sample status:
The factory still needs to produce fully working samples of each beam spring keyboard model for my approval, and then mass production and assembly of the remaining case parts can start.  The tooling for these cases took months longer than expected to complete.  The sample cases and their TIA/BIA's are completed and are now waiting to be powdercoated.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #140 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 21:47:58 »
I am curious, for those who have been using the round 1 beam spring boards for at least a number of months, is there any feedback on the effect of dust intrusion on the sensing?  Has anyone benefitted from opening up the board and cleaning it up, or is dust not much of an issue?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #141 on: Tue, 20 February 2024, 18:32:25 »
Cross post:  As an update I have posted the latest blog entry which rounds up all of the postings of recent months, including the status of this beam spring project.  Apologies this one came out later than it should have.

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/blog/

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #142 on: Sat, 09 March 2024, 04:15:48 »
Here is a photo and mini-review of the brand new round 1 beam spring keyboard with the MT3 Dasher key set:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/192u43p/xmas_present_beam_spring_round_1_ssk_wmt3_dasher/

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 03 April 2024, 13:34:51 »
Project update:

This week I approved production and assembly of the beam spring modules. 

I approved the color samples this week for the Model F and beam spring cases, which will have the same color options.  We still are waiting on the beam spring case sample, which should be completed closer to the end of this month.  The case samples have taken much longer than expected to complete but I will not approve production of the cases until I receive a working sample.

Production and assembly are expected to start this month and continue into May, with completion expected in June.  So as to avoid any delays with the new Model F models, the beam spring keyboards are expected to be on a separate container shipment in June, which means these boards should start going out in August.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 08 April 2024, 11:26:50 »
Here are some photos of the updated sample case with the (hopefully correct) Industrial Gray powdercoating.  They will be sending this board to me for approval later this month and then making samples of the other remaining boards.  Mass production on the modules was approved last week.  This board has a nice alignment of the keys and the top case from what I can see.
307267-0
307270-1
307272-2
307274-3
307276-4
307278-5
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 April 2024, 11:40:09 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #145 on: Mon, 15 April 2024, 18:42:52 »
As an update, the beam springs themselves can now be ordered separately here:
https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/beam-spring-extras/

They are IBM spec and some folks have used them to repair original rusty or damaged IBM beam springs.

Yes confirmed; that original proposal was not selected for production.