Author Topic: Possiblity of Pok3r firmware replacement  (Read 36678 times)

Offline giammin

Re: Possiblity of Pok3r firmware replacement
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 11:40:33 »
no response from vortex...

anyway it would be enough to have compatibility with tmk or qmk

Offline giammin

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 11:46:52 »
I have put my reverse-engineering project for the Pok3r firmware on GitHub, here: https://github.com/ChaoticConundrum/pok3r_re_firmware.

I have also learned a bit about the maker of the pok3r firmware. First, the firmware has a *near* identical update procedure and encryption scheme to the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-i, which Sprite successfully cracked. Second, while looking at the firmware update program for the Pok3r RGB, I found the version strings indicate Cooler Master as the Company Name and Legal Copyright. So, either Cooler Master writes the firmware for Vortex, or both Vortex and Cooler Master outsource firmware to another company, which seems the most likely.

It seems fairly unlikely to me that Vortex would be willing (or legally able) to open-source firmware they probably didn't write, especially if it is very similar to Cooler Master's firmware. It also shows to me that more firmware updates for any Pok3r model will likely be scarce, because each update to the firmware costs more money if it is outsourced, rather than already having programmer(s) in-house.

Just my opinion from my experience. I think open-source Pok3r firmware will have to be in our hands.

this is great!

Offline f1lt3r

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 20:10:58 »
I am really loving the Pok3r, but the thing that annoys me is that you can't move the programming-mode keys (Fn + R_Ctrl). This is frustrating as I would like to remap "Shift + R_Ctrl" to "Fn + L" (Cursor Arrow Right), so that the modifier keys right of the spacebar are like the Vim HJKL keys.

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 21:30:10 »
Does the iKBC F108/F87 use the same type of firmware?
Because ikbc and vortex are very related.  I even think Ducky is in there with them too (their firmware use holtek flashers...)

Offline motoyuki85

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 00:10:11 »
Any update on this project?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 23:43:36 »
Sometime ago vortex stated on MD that there would be possible of a software solution in Q3 17, lets hope they update it so we can choose n change how to switch layers!

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 08:14:06 »
Yeah, afaik there is no way to do this without proper specs from Vortex. In the mean time, Hasu's excellent usb_usb adapters work fine.

Offline andreya

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 06:47:28 »
I wish we can add mouse keys, then this keyboard would be complete.